Daredevil Bob Gunton is Leland Owlsley aka The Owl

Agreed. Guy was fantastic. Love that there was at least one guy in the organization who wasn't all serious.

Bob Gunton is just solid gold man. :woot: he's no stranger to comedy, but he's usually the one playing straight. so glad he gets to crack the zingers this time :up:

btw
Owlsley took an owl dive down an elevator shaft. does that mean he's dead too? :(

So does anyone else think the son he mentioned repeatedly may end up being the MCU version of the Owl? Especially now that
dear old dad unfortunately ended up dead
?

Maybe. I think it's more likely they did that to keep the option open but don't have any definite plans.

He mentioned his son's name was Lee. Seems likely it's short for Leland, in which case it seems to back up the theory that the son is the Owl from the comics.

I adored Leland. He was sinister but also surprisingly funny. He really did flesh out the series

So I just read the very first issue with the Owl in Daredevil (which I think was Issue 3). I was shocked at the degree of similarity. He was some kind of financial guy (accountant maybe) who led a secret life of crime. Then he stashes away a lot of money when he expects to get caught.

The biggest difference is the Owl could glide in the air, while Wilson Fisk proved that Leland Owlsley could not ;)

He really was great. He reminded me of Bernie Madoff.

He mentioned his son's name was Lee. Seems likely it's short for Leland, in which case it seems to back up the theory that the son is the Owl from the comics.

Good point! I just finished the series and was upset by the development, but you guys might be right!

I am resurrecting this topic to pose some questions about Owl's possible return in this series. I assume Owlsely Jr. would be a character that is somewhat similar to the comic book Owl, if he appears. But similar should he be? Should he have super powers or just be some would be gangster? Should he wear a suit similar to what the comic book Owl wore or have the over top hair style? Who should play him?

Also the big question is, how should he be characterized? In the comics, he started out as a generic super villain/crime boss, then became something of joke and then became a rage driven psycho who will attack people at the slightest provocation.

If they bring his son in as the Owl and he doesn't have powers, it would be a waste, imo. Comic Book Leland Owlsely was an accountant associated with gangsters originally, so they covered that aspect.

His powers as originally seen were just the ability to glide. I think they could pull that off without leaving the grounded DD World too much. His suit is a normal suit (just usually green, which was a common suit color in the 60s). I do think they'd probably make him quick to anger like the current version - it would make sense for a son angry at his father's death. It would also help separate him from that father.

While a super-powered or super-equipped Owl is not out of keeping for the MCU, I have a hard time seeing him as a good idea for Daredevil anytime soon. Its not so much that he couldn't work thematically, as that there are just so many seasons worth of other, better ideas to run with. Using "flying, clawed crime boss" before using Bullseye, or Born Again, or even Typhoid Mary? Seems a bit wasteful.

While a super-powered or super-equipped Owl is not out of keeping for the MCU, I have a hard time seeing him as a good idea for Daredevil anytime soon. Its not so much that he couldn't work thematically, as that there are just so many seasons worth of other, better ideas to run with. Using "flying, clawed crime boss" before using Bullseye, or Born Again, or even Typhoid Mary? Seems a bit wasteful.

Well depends, Owlsley doesn't have to be a major villain to fill a story role, perhaps being an obstacle to Kingpin's return to power that he hires Bullseye to deal with.

Rewatched 3 episodes last night, Leland really was a good funny character. He has some good lines.

If they bring his son in as the Owl and he doesn't have powers, it would be a waste, imo. Comic Book Leland Owlsely was an accountant associated with gangsters originally, so they covered that aspect.

His powers as originally seen were just the ability to glide. I think they could pull that off without leaving the grounded DD World too much. His suit is a normal suit (just usually green, which was a common suit color in the 60s). I do think they'd probably make him quick to anger like the current version - it would make sense for a son angry at his father's death. It would also help separate him from that father.

But would he keep the Wolverine hair? :cwink: :oldrazz:

I assume that some his other over the top powers would not be present (he once demonstrated the ability to turn his head around 180 degrees) and some of his more disgusting habits from the comics would not be present, which again is creepy, but likely might be a bit much for the show.

Also how would he have powwers, would he be an Inhuman or would just use his father's money to undergo gene therapy and turn himself into a freak in the process?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"