Daredevil Where did you first discover Daredevil?

First Daredevil comic i read but I my first intro to him was the previous year in Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel.

Last edited:
early mid-80s. either a Spider-Man book or a Hulk book

*The Hulk tv show had a Daredevil cameo. Didn't know who it was at the time. He could read text by touching the print. Thought that was kinda cool. Daredevil felt less lame.
I think that TV movie was really good, Bill Bixby really brought great emotion to the character that one could look past the cheesiness at times, I also found cool about Daredevil in that movie was he could hear a persons heartbeat to know whether they were lying or not.

*Ironically it was the crapfest Affleck movie that really opened up my mind to how cool DD could be. Started researching the character. Bought the tpb of Guardian Devil. Haven't looked back.
Yeah I thought the Affleck movie was great, I guess since I wasnt fond of the comic I enjoyed it more than the real hardcore DD fan, since then I've gotten every volume of Frank Miller's DD work, don't really care for the Kevin Smith stuff.

I'm really showing my age, but it was Amazing Spider-Man #16, where DD and Spidey met for the first time ever and Daredevil wore his first costume...

Trial of the Incredible Hulk TV movie, 1989. Yeah, I'm older. When I read the 2000 video game was the first exposure I chuckle a bit.
Then later in either a Spiderman comic or Punisher comic. When I started reading comics in the mid/late 80's it was mainly Spiderman, Batman, Fantastic Four, Avengers cause allowance only went so far at $.75 cents a pop.

I'm ashamed to say i only got into Daredevil early last year. A friend recommended Millers Man Without Fear graphic novel. I read that thing cover to cover and procceeded to binge read the rest of Millers run as well as the Bendis and Brubaker runs. I'm currently starting Waid/Samsees work and its excellent stuff

I'm a total 90s kid so the marvel series of those days introduced me to much of the Marvel World and yes 90s spiderman introduced me to blade, punisher, fury, daredevil and others

Trial of the Incredible Hulk

After that, I didn't read any specific DD stories so my exposure was limited to him popping up in other titles and the 90's Spidey cartoon. I didn't read my first sole DD story until picking up Frank Miller's stuff in the mid-90s and then Kevin Smith's run after that.

Like a lot of people here, it was Spider-Man the Animated Series for me.

Too bad that show really doesn't hold up. I went back and watched it a few years ago, and there are some standout episodes, but on the whole it's really not very good. Especially towards the end.

T"Challa;31004253 said:
I'm ashamed to say i only got into Daredevil early last year. A friend recommended Millers Man Without Fear graphic novel. I read that thing cover to cover and procceeded to binge read the rest of Millers run as well as the Bendis and Brubaker runs. I'm currently starting Waid/Samsees work and its excellent stuff

Waid's volume two (current San Francisco run) has been a misfire for me so far.

Waid's volume two (current San Francisco run) has been a misfire for me so far.

I would agree. I loved volume 1 with Matt trying to rebuild his life and the Bullseye plot was excellent, but this new celeb phase is just off putting and Matt feels out of character so much of the time. I'm also not fond of the Shroud character.

Last edited:
I would agree. I loved volume 1 with Matt trying to rebuild his life but this new celeb phase is just off putting and Matt feels out of character so much of the time.

Yeah Im glad his run is ending. Who would be a good replacement? Jeff Lemire? Charles Soule? Greg Rucka?

Yeah Im glad his run is ending. Who would be a good replacement? Jeff Lemire? Charles Soule? Greg Rucka?

Rucka's 2011 Punisher run is supposedly quite good so that could be interesting. Other than that I'm not great at picking comic writers. I wish they hadn't revealed his identity, but that's a problem Daredevil comics have had for a while since everyone already knew, he just finally admitted it. I will miss Samnee though, his art is fantastic. Perhaps all this secret war stuff could retcon Daredevil back into something more classic.

Last edited:
Rucka's 2011 Punisher run is supposedly quite good so that could be interesting. Other than that I'm not great at picking comic writers. I wish they hadn't revealed his identity, but that's a problem Daredevil comics have had for a while since everyone already knew, he just finally admitted it. I will miss Samnee though, his art is fantastic. Perhaps all this secret war stuff could retcon Daredevil back into something more classic.

The secret war stuff might be the reason Waid's going full ****** with DD. He might know it's all going to be erased anyway.

The secret war stuff might be the reason Waid's going full ****** with DD. He might know it's all going to be erased anyway.

Fingers crossed. I would be curious to see Scott Snyder take on DD after his fantastic Batman run. Just a shame he is stuck on the other side of the pond. DD needs something dark and complex but I don't want just another Miller knock off.

Last edited:

Having enjoyed Rucka's Punisher run, there's no doubt I'll happily buy the hell out of a DD run from him.

Yep, it was #238.

21bvszm.jpg

I remember reading it because it was part of the Mutant Massacre and I suddenly became interested in DD to the point I went out and bought some issues.

My older brother was hooked on Frank Miller's Daredevil, I was still just a kid and mostly into Spider-Man, X-Men and some Avengers and Fantastic Four comics. He said that I should read Daredevil, and I've tried, but never got really into Daredevil up until my adolescence. I've been hooked ever since.

Daredevil_Vol_1_281.jpg

this was the first one for me. as a kid I found it to be quite interesting and so different… and taboo. Daredevil really felt like something I shouldn't be reading, but I loved it. My Dad fully supported me with any DD love form then on haha.

My love wasn't as strong for DD at the start, he was like, maybe top 20, or top 15. Loved the toys, his appearances in the Spider-Man show, etc… but he was always on the backburner. Then I got back into him deeper in 2003 around the first film, and I personally really liked the film so it re-invigorated my love for DD and since then he's been in my top 10 comic heroes for me… hell in my top 3 Marvel characters.

I wanna keep my history with him brief, but its been n awesome ride, and I couldn't be happier with the new show. My favorite show (possibly of all time) and my personal pick for best adapted hero to screen.

It was the 2003 movie. I think I had seen bits of him in the comics but that's when he stood out for me

9QFJqFp.jpg

I first became aware of DD when my mother read this issue to me. In it Spidey is blinded and has to rely on DD for help. I remember being both amazed and saddened that DD was blind.

From there,I probably hit the same beats as the rest of you. Trial of TIH,90's Spider-Man,etc.I bought DD comics off and on a bit during my teens.

Loved the Affleck film and bought the first couple of collections of Miller's original run. I've trying to go back and pick up some of Stan's early run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"