Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO... and Comes Back Again

Primarily, yes. It's not exactly a secret that it's Iger who insisted on everything being kept within the OT era. It's Iger who insisted they release a movie a year. It's Iger who refused to delay Solo's release. Now, who's to say what was behind the decision to hire separate directors and not set a clear story arc for the ST, but if you ask me, his fingerprints are all over it. Regardless, I think it's very clear they're better off without his involvement.

Did iger not try to force Abrams to release Episode 7 in May 2015 while Abrams wanted a 2016 release?

Iger is great at buying already successful companies and brands but is pretty incompetent on the creative side of things.

He’s a suit. They’re not the most creative people.

Sucks for Bob C. Their cruise lines will definitely take a hit. I went on one two Christmases ago and admit it was amazing and really well done. But I don’t know how anyone can even think of doing that in the foreseeable future.

Did iger not try to force Abrams to release Episode 7 in May 2015 while Abrams wanted a 2016 release?

Iger is great at buying already successful companies and brands but is pretty incompetent on the creative side of things.

They did force the December 2015 release because Disney promised stockholders they'd have the first movie out by 2015.

Didn't know Disney is in so much **** now. Great timing with that Fox purchase.

The thing people don't realise is they've racked up a boat load of dept over the last 10 years and their primary income, the parks, aren't going to be open for what could be months. Keep in mind Disney have only ever closed their parks a handful of times since opening, so as much money as their movies may make, they are getting hit pretty hard where their main source of income is, and the dept accrued recently is only going to make it worse. Not surprised by Iger coming back to lead, but I can't help but feel there's not going to be much more he can do in the current situation. They're at the mercy of the virus at the moment.

They’re also likely not going to be able to resume production on any delayed movies for a while, except maybe animation.

Disney, like many other Studios also has it's own share of big budget flops, it's just that people remember it's mega hits more than it's flops, mainly because media doesn't like to discuss the Disney flops much.

Some of the budget Disney flops/ under performing movies

Onward(2020), The Call of the Wild (2020), Dumbo (2019), Ad Astra (2019), Dark Phoenix (2019), Mary Poppins Returns (2018), A Wrinkle in Time (2018), SOLO A SW Story (2018), The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018), Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016), The BFG (2016), Tomorrowland (2015), The Good Dinosaur (2015), The Lone Ranger (2013), John Carter (2012), Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time (2010).

Last edited:
Wasn't Onward impacted by coronavirus?
So was Bloodshot, which is why it is in under performing movie based on it's Theatrical collections,but it's doing well on VoD, so it remains to be seen how well it does on VoD.

Last edited:
The budget of Onward is given as somewhere between $175 million to $200 million (let's assume $175 M, which is still huge number) and assuming that Disney did only modest "marketing" and spent only around $50 million on marketing it (could be more), the amount needed to break even using old rule of thumb : two times the Production budget plus marketing budget comes to -

2 x $175 M + $50 M = $400 M.

Considering the fact that Onward (2020) earned only $104 M at Worldwide Box Office, it will need to earn at least $300 million more on VoD, which is a huge number, so yeah, it's a flop.

Last edited:
Disney, like many other Studios also has it's own share of big budget flops, it's just that people remember it's mega hits more than it's flops, mainly because media doesn't like to discuss the Disney flops much.

Onward(2020), The Call of the Wild (2020), Dumbo (2019), Ad Astra (2019), Dark Phoenix (2019), Mary Poppins Returns (2018), A Wrinkle in Time (2018), SOLO A SW Story (2018), The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018), Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016), The BFG (2016), Tomorrowland (2015), The Good Dinosaur (2015), The Lone Ranger (2013), John Carter (2012), Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time (2010).
I had forgotten the Nutcracker film.

Disney can afford to make flops due to Marvel counteracting it.

I certainly wouldn't call Onward a flop, that's a lazy take. It had its legs cut out from under it theatrically. It lost money though, so from that point of view you could call it a flop without context. Wouldn't have been at the top of Pixar earners, but would have made a solid profit.

It will be tough for the industry to fully recover from this. I see ways out but it requires pivoting old models sooner then anticipated. I can also see future consolidation which may not have been allowed by governments pre-virus.

Disney can afford to make flops due to Marvel counteracting it.

Not at the moment they can't. If ever there's a time where flops are a very bad thing it's now.

It’s an interesting position Disney is in too. The movies they have in the pipeline like Mulan, and Eternals aren’t projected to be sure fire hits. And at this point they need some Endgame money.

Iger might want to order Feige to quit playing and give us X-Men and Fantastic Four after this covid disaster settles down.

I remember all of those films as I've seen all of them except for the Nutcracker and the Four Realms and Ad Astra which I plan to watch this week. I haven't seen Call of the Wild as well but I have no interest in watching it.

This is truly surprising. I guess they don't like competance.

They should have 86'd him and hired back Peter Rice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"