Bolivar Trask is black?

onejeremytogo

FANBOYS FOREVER!
Reaction score
Am I the only person who hates it when they do this type of thing? Take a fairly well known character and change his race and even in some cases gender. They've done it in a number of movies. Dare Devil being one where they took Fisk and magically changed him from a short white guy to a tall black dude. Not that I mind having characters that are from different races...infact I like a diverse crowd but couldn't they stick to the characters we know and love...couldn't they come up with NEW ones to fill those shoes?

I think the fans would be more upset if they just created an entirely new character just so they could have someone of a different race

I don't have a problem with Trask being black... has it even been confirmed that Duke is playing him? :confused:

S7ilver said:
I think the fans would be more upset if they just created an entirely new character just so they could have someone of a different race

Well no I don't mean for the movies. What I mean is can't they come up with other characters in the comics? And stick to the ones we know. They want to have Trask...make him the one from the comics. They want to pull an African American from the comics..please do..just don't change him to make HIM white. What's so hard about that? They are already changing so many things from the comics while taking it to film..couldn't they just leave this one alone?

Slim_X said:
I don't have a problem with Trask being black... has it even been confirmed that Duke is playing him? :confused:

There was a callsheet somewhere with Duke being listed as Trask. What website was it? Anybody? I think it was the website of the guy who owned the bar in X1.

There could be a specific reason as to why Trask was put in the movie, instead of some other comic character. Hint hint.

It hasn't been official announced that Duke is playing Trask, but some keen eyed people on these forums found some interesting things.

Scroll down the page. You have to squint but it says Bill Duke is trask on the call sheet. The Official Bill Duke Casting Thread had a link to a page where Duke was listed on the casting sheet as Trask. You have to squint very hard to see it though, lol.

http://www.douglennox.com/bio-full.htm
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210420&highlight=Duke+Trask

It's also confirmed that Duke is involved with the government (sitting directly across from Beast)...

cap056.jpg

From: http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210420&page=12&highlight=Duke+Trask

All signs are pointing to yes, even though it hasn't officially been confirmed yet.

Onejeremytogo, have you ever seen Bill Duke in action? If not let me assure you--he is one of the scariest mofos you will ever see. He is perfect for this creepy role because the man is beyond creepy. Skin color should not be a factor in hiring someone for a performance. Bolivar is not an iconic character, so it's not like mainstream audiences will really know the difference.

I don't mind Trask being black. He wasn't a major character in the comics. Also Duke is a great actor. Now if Wolverine or Cyclops were black in the movie that would be a problem.

Being white isn't a crucial part of Trask's character in the same way that being white wasn't crucial to The Kingpin and Alicia Master's characters.

onejeremytogo said:
Am I the only person who hates it when they do this type of thing? Take a fairly well known character and change his race and even in some cases gender. They've done it in a number of movies. Dare Devil being one where they took Fisk and magically changed him from a short white guy to a tall black dude. Not that I mind having characters that are from different races...infact I like a diverse crowd but couldn't they stick to the characters we know and love...couldn't they come up with NEW ones to fill those shoes?

Ugh, am I the only person who hates people like this? In Kingpins case, why not go find a massive wrestler who cant act to play him? Why not get some random massive guy off the street, just so long as he is white. Is that what you want? MCD was perfect, PERFECT, for Kingpin.

Who cares what color their skin is. I cant think of anyone better than Duke to play Trask, personality wise. He plays these kinds of characters perfectly!

onejeremytogo said:
i dont like it either but i can understand why they would do that.

As long as he does a good job, I'm fine with Dukes portraying Trask. He has that powerful, tough look to him, which will hopefully be backing up his acting performance.

By the way, in movies all characters go through some change or another. I don't think Mystique was covered in scales or was naked. The Wolverine potrayed in the theaters is tall and lean, but the comic counterpart is short and much more built...and a lot more hair covers his body.

So as long as the overall feel and essesnce of the character is kept, I'm fine with any changes.

P.S.

GNR4LIFE has pointed out that the man sitting down in the containment room with Mystique, (check trailer screencaps and new pictures posted by Retroman) has worked with Ratner in Red Dragon. The man looks fairly like the Trask from the comics? Is he Trask, afterall?

onejeremytogo said:
So true. I've said it manytimes. They didn't make Blade white so they don't need to change others like Kingpin. KP was actually rather tall but any way, they shouldn't have done that in the movie, it just isn't that character, and I want to see the character come to life that I've loved for years not something else. And that just wasn't kingpin.

Morgoth said:
So true. I've said it manytimes. They didn't make Blade white so they don't need to change others like Kingpin. KP was actually rather tall but any way, they shouldn't have done that in the movie, it just isn't that character, and I want to see the character come to life that I've loved for years not something else. And that just wasn't kingpin.

Oh come on. There is no other actor who could have pulled off that job that he did like he did. MCD was by far one of the best things about that film, and he saved it. So what if his skin is a different color. For characters like that, lets just have someone who can pull it off. For others, like Cyke or Wolverine for example, there are many people who could play em. There are few who could pull off a good Kingpin, and MCD did.

onejeremytogo said:
i dont like it either but i can understand why they would do that.

lordofthenerds said:
I don't mind Trask being black. He wasn't a major character in the comics. Also Duke is a great actor. Now if Wolverine or Cyclops were black in the movie that would be a problem.

Actually, Trask WAS a major character for quite a while. We wouldn't have sentinels if it were not for him. He made MANY appearances back when the sentinels were first introduced and has been a common foe of the X-men since. Granted he's not as popular nowaday's and if you've just started reading the X comics since X1 came out you probably don't care much for the character or think he is a major character.

onejeremytogo said:
Actually, Trask WAS a major character for quite a while. We wouldn't have sentinels if it were not for him. He made MANY appearances back when the sentinels were first introduced and has been a common foe of the X-men since. Granted he's not as popular nowaday's and if you've just started reading the X comics since X1 came out you probably don't care much for the character or think he is a major character.

He used to be a major character, yes. But his ethnicity wasnt what made his character. He isnt like Forge, who has to be Native American, or Banshee, who has to be a white irishman. Trask doesnt conform to any certain group.

I could care less what his ethnicity is. If he portrays the character well, then so be it. Obviously it wasn't a big deal since they casted him!

This is stupid. Race has nothing to do with Trask or Kingpin and that's why it should be no big deal if they cast an actor who's black. With Kingpin there was no other actor with the size and acting ability anyway. True there are many others who could play Trask but his race is not essential in the casting process.

This is stupid. Race has nothing to do with Trask or Kingpin and that's why it should be no big deal if they cast an actor who's black. With Kingpin there was no other actor with the size and acting ability anyway. True there are many others who could play Trask but his race is not essential in the casting process. It's not

This is stupid. Race has nothing to do with Trask or Kingpin and that's why it should be no big deal if they cast an actor who's black. With Kingpin there was no other actor with the size and acting ability anyway. True there are many others who could play Trask but his race is not essential in the casting process. It's

This is stupid. Race has nothing to do with Trask or Kingpin and that's why it should be no big deal if they cast an actor who's black. With Kingpin there was no other actor with the size and acting ability anyway. True there are many others who could play Trask but his race is not essential in the casting process. It's not like he;s

This is stupid. Race has nothing to do with Trask or Kingpin and that's why it should be no big deal if they cast an actor who's black. With Kingpin there was no other actor with the size and acting ability anyway. True there are many others who could play Trask but his race is not essential in the casting process. It's not like

This is stupid. Race has nothing to do with Trask or Kingpin and that's why it should be no big deal if they cast an actor who's black. With Kingpin there was no other actor with the size and acting ability anyway. True there are many others who could play Trask but his race is not essential in the casting process. It's not like he's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"