Bought//Thought March 07 2007.

SouLeSS

Superhero
Reaction score
52 - 44; I was looking forward to this issue the most this week, partly because I wanted to see Black Adam rip Sobek open a new hole. And he sorta did. I mean, he broke the dudes jaws in half, which was purely badass. Overall it was a pretty good issue, Iris is dead, Mont. is the new Question, Black Adam is pissed. 7/10.

Might Avengers - I was a little hesitant on picking this up. I'm not that huge of a Marvel fan to begin with, a most of the characters on the cover didn't appeal to me in any real way (Sentry, Wasp, Black Widow, Wonder Man.) but it turned out to be pretty good, or at least I thought. Granted I can't remember ever reading anything with Wasp, Black Widow, Wonderman, Sentry and Ms Marvel in it as a strong point (They were in and out of CW, Sentry was in Annihilation for a bit) so I don't know if any of them are grossly out of character, but I did get a few chuckles out of the dialogue between IM and MM when they were picking the team up. I'm assuming that the "If we don't they will" is talking about SHIELD (Seeing's as right after that panel is shows Starks face with SHIELD really big and in red/white in the background as a "If you can't pick this up then you're a total idiot" panel. Though I do sort of like the way Ms. Marvel is running the team, I guess. I don't know, but I'm gonna keep picking it up for the first arc or two, to see if it turns out any good. 8/10, just because Ms. Marvel called Wasp an 'Unbelieveable Tramp'

Tec - 892 - I'd like for once for there to be a consistancy in how old the characters look. Tim looks like he's about 25 in the first couple of panels he's in, then he looks like he's 15 again when he's in his Robin Garb. Though I don't see why they're pulling it like a cliffhanger thing. We all know he's not going to get blown up anyway. 5/10ish

Still to read

Nightwing, Outsiders, JLA. I didn't pick up the initaitve or a few other books that I had planned on because I had to drop around 150$ on my cousins Star Wars figures today at my store. ****ing pack of ewoks (wikket and the other guy) was like 45$.

Ewoks, LAWL! Thanks for that laugh.

What happened in Cap 25? Oh wait, I'm not blind and death so I alread know. :whatever:

Cap #25 - I got spoiled early,but this was probably the best read of the week.I just wondered what the heck Fury had planned.

JLA #6 - I've had patience with this book,and it's been good.But this final chapter to the first arc,was kind of underwhelming.One of my main gripes about this series has been the story telling methods of using up one page or more in sequences which could easily be done in less.I know this isn't the only book that does it,but I'm just saying.The fight with Amazo is pretty much just a takedown with Roy narrating it and sitting along the sidelines,while Reddy gets his ass handed to him by Grundy.

Sentry was in Annihilation?

My comic shop had the requisite *****ebag working today, and he was being *****ebaggy. So, I could only pick up 52 and Detective because he hadn't gotten around to putting all the issues out and he hates me because he knows I think he's a *****e. Soooo, I'll be picking up Hulk & JLA later tonight when my buddy gets off work, since he's picking up Cap & FF. Thanks for the Cap spoilers by the way, whoever started that thread with the spoiler title. NOT NOT NOT:cmad:

52 #43: 5/5
Things are moving along really well, and we get an ish focused 90% on the remaining Black Marvels. After last week's reveal of Sobek being one of the 4 horsemen, I was happy to find that the other 3 showed up (I really loved their designs and was totally psyched about when they were gonna finally do something). Well, they did something. The most brutal issue of 52, it featured a dried-out cripple carcass, a disease-ridden hottie (I soooooo know how that goes!), and Black Adam just anally raping the horsemen. They got some good licks in, but really, these are the product of a bunch of super-scientists, and I'd have liked for them to have stood up to more than just two magic heroes. However, the fight was pretty great, and moves things forward to WWIII. Plus, Montoya finally gets moving with the whole Question thing. No origin this week, but it was worth it.

I have to change my rating system. I'm thinking it'll be word-based. S**t, Poor, Average, Good, Great. 1-5. That way 5 is "great" not "perfect." Because I never want to give anyone the impression that I just read the perfect comic.

Sooo, 52 #43: Great.

DETECTIVE COMICS #829: Average
Nice cover, Bianchi. IN CUMSHOT WORLD WHERE CUMSHOTS RULE

The art is better than Kramer's, but not by that much. I hate how Clarke draws lips. Anyway, I was a little tentative about purchasing this book sans-Dini, but this issue made me not hate it so much. It's a 2-parter for a change, and it's kind of weird to see Bruce Wayne throwing a shindig for world leaders in an effort to squelch terrorism. Shouldn't, like, the President be doing this? Really. Anyway though...I don't regret purchasing this, and am actually looking forward to the conclusion.

I might skip out on 'Tec for the next 2 issues.

Probably won't miss anything at all. A mediocre story, a disturbinly odd cover, and that's about it.

Captain America #25

It's here, it's here, it's finally here!

Remember the days when the Red Skull, not Iron Man, was considered Cap's undisputed archenemy? Well the Red Skull does, and he makes his move. I can't see what role could have been played by Doctor Doom or Doctor Zola in this plan, so there's presumably more to it than this. Still, a devastating opening salvo. I can't wait to see where things go from here.

The media is constantly reporting that a sniper killed him, but the sniper just wounded him; his girlfriend Sharon was the one who shot him in the chest all those times (poor Sharon).

Mighty Avengers #1

Pretty good, overall. Bendis efficiently assembles the team in the course of the issue, throws in a big fight, and ends by introducing the major villain for the first arc. The art by Frank Cho is fantastic; there's a kind of appealing softness to his work (and the ladies, of course, look fantastic).

In terms of the team, I have reservations about having the Sentry onboard, even if Ms. Marvel herself acknowledges this by saying that he's done absolutely nothing and is a basket-case. Iron Man parries this charge well, but since Bendis has been writing Sentry the whole time, I'm not convinced he'll get any better (at least the escalated threat levels this team should face offer more opportunities for the character). I liked Ares' recruitment to.

Bendis makes good use of thought-bubbles, reintroduced into big comics here; he uses it for actual thoughts, rather than narration/exposition, so it allows him to play around with what people are saying as opposed to what they're thinking. A promising start, overall.

Uncanny X-Men #484

Another Ed Brubaker story winds down in this issue, the tenth part of his twelve-part Shi'ar epic. We've definitely shifted into overdrive, as the Starjammers/X-Men, accompanied by Lilandra, raid a Shi'ar facility to rescue an exiled Shi'ar general who could rally soldiers to Lilandra's cause. Polaris puts the moves on Havok, and Rachel and Korvus continue to struggle with their weird psychic link (Brubaker finds time to take some shots at overwritten romance dialogue along the way). Meanwhile, Vulcan asks Darwin to be his best man at his wedding to Deathbird, the after-party for which will feature the execution of Professor X.:wow: Another good issue from Ed Brubaker (I get so much mileage out of that sentence).

Fantastic Four #543 - While I don't usually like the team without the original four I think they did a good job with this. Storm and Black Panther are a good choice. And the rest of the anniversary stuff in this issue is well-written as well. Stan's backup story is pretty funny.

Uncanny X-Men #484 - More space opera awesomeness. I loves me some sci-fi and I loves me some X-Men. Seems like the multiple plot points in this series are coming to a head. This issue was like the calm (although it wasn't really all that calm) before the storm.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #18
- This arc marks my return to Spider-Man comics after stopping when Civil War began. While I don't like the whole "Uncle Ben is alive" thing, this is a pretty good read and I like the art.

Captain America #25 - So I finally managed to get my hands on a copy. Good issue. While I still don't like the idea to off Cap I thought the issue and the afformentioned event was handled well, written well, except for the fact that I know Cap has survived gunshot wounds before. Maybe the sniper used armor piercing bullets and Sharon was so close when she shot him. I wonder who the new Cap'll be? My pick is Bucky but knowing Marvel, they'll probably pick somebody else that's not so perfect for the role.

(Still need to get Mighty Avengers)

The media is constantly reporting that a sniper killed him, but the sniper just wounded him; his girlfriend Sharon was the one who shot him in the chest all those times (poor Sharon).

:wow:

I guess nothing will be a surprise to me anymore when I finally read the issue. Oh well.

Cap 25: Luckily for me I woke up late today and didn't check any news sites, so I wasn't entirely spoiled, but I was expecting the death. I'm still upset that my shop pulled me the variant instead of the regular cover. He told me he ran out and that they were going for more on eBay. I guess it's a nice gesture and all, but I like Epting's cover way more.
Like I asked in the other post, is Sharon tricked into thinking she shot Steve, or did she really shoot him?

MA #1: Bendis writing a decent Avengers book? I don't know, but for some reason I liked it. Maybe the fact that Avengers are actually facing some real villains and not stupid stuff?
The team forms, and they blame these natural disasters on mole man. Mole man says its not him, and then tony goes kerplunk and blows up. When the smoke clears we see... Ultron, as a she?

Gonna add The Initiative, Dark Tower, UXM, New Universal and Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness after work.

Like I asked in the other post, is Sharon tricked into thinking she shot Steve, or did she really shoot him?
I assume she really did, otherwise I really can't see why the Skull would go to all the trouble of getting Faustus to screw with her head.

I read CW: TI. I don't think it was anything special, but i'm interested in Carol's comments about
them trying to save cap? Is she BSing to get Jessica back?

Ultimate Spider-Man #106: This issue accomplishes exactly what it needed to accomplish. It began to wrap up the loose ends of the Peter-Kitty-MJ triangle, and it set up Daredevil's Knights. All in all, it's nothing to remember, but it's the first story of an arc, and as the first story of an arc, it succeeds.
7.5/10

Civil War: The Initialtive.

I bought this cause it had the Alpha Flight stuff....>I gues they are all dead :(.....Anyway I have a complaint, when Iron Man was looking at all of the screens for Possible Avengers candidates Crystal was there, Now I know she was once an Avengers but...uh right now she shouldn't be concidered as a candidate becuase of the whole Inhumans at war with the USa thing...anyway....I'll review stuff later.

mighty avengers #1 - i had a helluva time tracking this book down. four stores, and on the fifth one, i finally found it. was it worth it?

yep.

bendis does us fanboys proud, and it's about DAMN time. out the window goes "decompression". in one issue we get the team's first mission, the founding of the team, backgrounds on all the characters, the freakin' mole man AND the set up for the first arc. this issue just screams FUN. it's FUN from cover to cover. this the avengers title we've been missing. when reading it, you can almost feel wonder man's joy at being an avenger again. he is kicking monster ass, and he's having a ***damn blast...that's good readin'. :up:

not to mention this book is funny. like, "lol" funny. the dialogue between carol and tony (and there's a lot of it), is done very well. there is quite a history in these characters, and bendis plays to it's strengths.

we also get to peak at the new helicarrier (i prefer the old one), a hint that s.h.i.e.l.d.'s getting a new acronym soon and just who the "best" avenger ever is. if you guessed "thor"...you're right. :cwink:

OH. and bendis also answers a lot of our questions. like, why not just have a powerhouse team? what the hell is going on with the sentry? why are they desperate to find the "new" avengers? and my favorite, how much does an avenger make?

people have been doing a lot of complaining (most of it just) about marvel's recent tone of dark and grittiness. spider-man's "back in black", daredevil hasn't caught a break in 20 years and wanda and pietro are now borderline villians (again). mighty avengers is anything BUT that. even the artwork is anti-grim. cho's pencils are damn near flawless, and the colors are vibrant and bright.

i can't recommend this enough. anyone that did not like new avengers pre-civil war (raises hand), will be very pleased with what bendis has done with just one issue. if anyone craps on this, they are souless and are only doing it because bendis bashing is "cool". read it. you know you want too. :cwink: 8 out of 10

captain america #25 - i'm not going to say much about this. it's mostly already been covered. it's obviously nowhere near as lighthearted and fun as mighty avengers, but it's not supposed to be. it seems real. like, it really makes me sad. i know. it's weird.

yes, cap "dies". and it's every bit as heartbreaking as you would imagine. it's also the most well written "deaths" i've ever read. really. it's almost better to read this knowing what's coming at the end. you can focus on the story that takes you there more clearly. and damn if brubaker doesn't write a beautiful story. i will say this: it does not seem forced. this is definitely part of a much larger story.

i'm going to stick around on this title. after reading it, i don't know who couldn't; you almost have to see the aftermath. steve rogers is "dead". and yet the feeling that this is FAR from over is very evident. by far, this is the best single issue of any title i've read in a VERY long time. 10 out of 10

I'm still reading my books, but I just wanted to comment on how refreshing it was to see heroes fighting villains in MA :up:

I'm confused on what you guys are talking about shield.:huh:

CIVWARINI001_int33.jpg

:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"