Bought/Thought 071206 (Spoilers of course)

Holy Crap!!!
SPEEDBALL A LEADER!!!
I need to go get my comics NOW!

THANOSRULES said:
Dread....

What was the date of caps last big 'stripped from service arc' ..i could swear it was from the clinton era...time seems to fly to much. Wasnt it around the same time as force works 96-97 ish?
The first time Cap "quit" and became Nomad was during the 70's, I believe during Ford's presidency. Ford was President after Nixon resigned and officially pardoned him for Watergate, becoming unpopular (an alternate dimensional version of Ford was actually a supervillian, the Black Lama). The next time was during the Reagan years when he became "The Captain" for a while. I could be off though. I wasn't around back then.

And I agree that Speedball, if he survives, will be in better shape than he's been in years, and ready to step the hell up. Especially since there're still other members of the New Warriors ready to even the score.

SpeedballLives said:
Holy Crap!!!
SPEEDBALL A LEADER!!!
I need to go get my comics NOW!

Well speedball was never a decent leader IMO..and there is no "on panel" reason why he would have suddenly taken a front seat to Thrasher in terms of leading the team.

Thrasher was the leader of new warriors...maybe you could argue Nova, Namorita, even Justice or Firestar, but speedy should be dead last. Anyway there is no reason..except blatent disregard for New Warriors history to show Night Thrasher go out like that.

And yes, i do disregard the last mini...I still havnt read it...dont plan too and frankley i disregard it as marvel continuity. It is What if?, as far as i see...

What if?... the New Warriors had a crud-o mini that stunk?

Even in MTU, Speedy was not a leader..he needed to be consoled by Darkhawk even at the end in basic fundamental hero 101 stuff..(whcih Darkhawk aint to salty at either)

Yeah, usually Night-Thrasher was the team's leader. The Warriors had also trained extensively during their initial run (which only lasted a good 6 years for their first volume), and naturally there's in-battle experience too. But as most relaunches, it was a moderately planned idea tacked onto a franchise where it didn't fit, and it flopped. Millar wasn't responsible for it in CW, he just ran with it to lead to Stamford. At least in the aftermath, the surviving Warriors are in better shape for a REAL relaunch now than before.

THANOSRULES said:
Marvel gives this guy waay too much play...and the mis-charicterizations are running amok...

lets list them thus far...

Thor (ultimates)- a whiney worthless character(at least in the ultimates book), Even Ed McG said this basically in his wizard interview. Thor is a freakin god!...he doesnt say stuff bad about humans embracing war and such.He drinks mead, battles, and lays women to waste...he is conan with a touch of Solomon kane.
Cap (ultimates)- geez I actually came off liking him(certainly unintentionally) but waaay different than his previous ultimate personality. Seems like the guy millar hated in high school becuase he was good looking, good at sports, and got the chicks.
Time to stop pandering your whole universe...(more like OUR universe) to writers like millar.

Your accusing millar of mischaracterising characters he created?

Interesting.

gildea said:
Your accusing millar of mischaracterising characters he created?

Interesting.

Hes been ranting for two days, hes going for the record!

SIAT's funkalicious week of comics 7-12-06! :eek:

GHOST RIDER # 1 -- Gave this a shot because of Ennis' miniseries, and I really liked Way's Bullseye miniseries and the Nighthawk mini. And with Texeira on art, which is GREAT in this ish by the way, I figured it was a good buy. Not really a whole lot revealed here. Just Ghost Rider getting out of hell, basically still with Satan tricking the hell out of him. This looks like something I'm going to have to give a couple issues before I see what it's like. Damn trade paper back trend. 7.5/10

SQUADRON SUPREME # 5 -- This series, ever since leaving MAX, hasn't really been doing it for me lately. Though things sort of got a little interesting by the end of this issue, with the revelation of China enlisting Mr. Redstone. But with the lack of Nighthawk in this series since it's move I'm a little concerned. And I don't CARE about Inertia. And why is Blur the ONLY member of the team who is the least bit SANE. Knowing Gary Frank is leaving this title soon this may be on the chopping block soon, that is if JMS doesn't start stepping things up. 7/10

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR # 31 -- Damn. This was a really good issue. Doctor Doom switching bodies with Reed?! Holy schnikes I did NOT see that coming. And the zombies are loose as well?! Oh man, Millar knows how to shake it up. Now...Millar...I swear to God if you pull another "Marvel Knight Spider-Man" ending I'm never reading anything by you again. All flair and no delivery. The nice moment were the dumb ass soldiers actually believing Reed built a pen into a teleporter. Even I knew something wasn't kosher! Though Millar had to figure a way to get them out. Next issue, which is this teams last, should be really interesting, and probably packed with a buttload of material seeing as it all has to wrap up. 9/10

SPIDER-GIRL # 100 -- Pete comes out of retirement to face Hobgoblin. Yes! Even though Pete got owned pretty much, it was still a fanboy moment for me. Mayday bonding with the symbiote I saw pretty much coming, but how it developed was a good touch by Mr. Defalco. Though the symbiote met it's untimely demise at the hands of Hobgoblin, outfitted with sonics, it was a nice part of the story. A great wrap up to this chapter of Spider-Girl, and knowing full well she returns in October with a MARKETING CAMPAIGN behind it, I'm pumped. And the extras this book had is well worth the 3.99 price tag, and then some. Great job. 10/10

CIVIL WAR: FRONTLINE # 3 OF 10 -- I didn't so much care for the first story, not as good as the prior two issues. The Speedball story was really good, the dude is getting fed up with taking their crap, and having to be the one who gets the finger pointed at him. Good for him. And the last part with the fish guy, that was really interesting, I wonder where that's going to go. Overall, pretty good...and the sleeper hit of Civil War as far as I'm concerned. 8.5/10

SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN # 28 -- Doc Ock's full reaction right here, folks. And it was as good as it's going to get. I liked the flashback section where Ock was thinking back to their early encounters, and when he unmasked Peter in front of JJJ, only to have no one really believe that Pete was Spidey. Ock was PISSED! Heh. The side story with the student, Jordan, was a nice touch. And overall, this was a good read even for people against the unmasking of Spider-Man. 9/10

52 WEEK 10 -- Meh. Wasn't really into this week as much. Too much Black Adam for my tastes, I don't really like that part of it. And the Clark Kent stuff was interesting at first but...we KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WITH CLARK LATER ON!!! :eek: They could have been focusing on Ralph Dibney investigating the Superboy stuff or The Question or Strange, Animal Man, and Firestar on that planet! But NOOOO! And I want to know what came out of that cocoon, that was interesting. But a very bland week this week, gentlemen. I better get some Question next week! :mad: 7.5/10

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN # 97 -- As we head to # 100, we've started into the Clone Saga. Ultimate Scorpion is...PETER PARKER!! :eek: I wasn't really thinking this in the months prior to the announcement of Scorp, but once I opened the book it hit me, and I was right. Typical "Bendis mystery", go with the obvious...heh. But interesting questions left. First off, how is there a clone, who made it, why did they put a Peter Parker clone in a Scorpion suit, and who kidnapped MJ? Well, my biggest complaint is that Bendis planted the seeds of a Pete/Kitty breakup and MJ/Pete getting back together which will anger me to no end. Don't do it, Bendis. You pissed me off with killing Gwen. DON'T put those two back together, I might drop the title if it happens that how passionate I am about it. :O 8/10, mostly because of Bagley's artwork. Bendis needs to step it up.

squadron supreme is a different team to supreme power right? their characters were from different universes, so hopefully the MAX characters will return somewhere (ultimate power crossover?) and i can give them a try. i've heard lots of good stuff from you guys (plus i've seen loads of boob ;))

but... the squadron supreme shown in the marvel universe all those years is definately different from supreme power's people. MAX series was "non-canon" but then given its own universe:the Supremeverse (also referred to as Earth-31916 in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe: Alternate Worlds 2005) was supreme power's and classic squadron supreme are from earth-s or earth-712.

so squadron supreme's series follows...? who? you'd think seeing as its now in the marvel mainstream and has different characters to MAX series itd be classic 712 squadron supreme, but did it clearly follow on from supreme power?

How about Doc Ock being a "member" of the Thunderbolts in the newest edition of that series? I was surprised.

THANOSRULES said:
And yes, i do disregard the last mini...I still havnt read it...dont plan too and frankley i disregard it as marvel continuity. It is What if?, as far as i see...

What if?... the New Warriors had a crud-o mini that stunk?

I love when people claims stories suck and completely disregard them from continuity without even having read them. I find a person's opinions regarding comics after stating stuff like that hard to respect. Not that I don't respect you, but I can never know if what you say about a comic is actually true, or just based off of an idea you had without even reading the story. And for the record, I didn't think much of the New Warriors mini as an idea, but rather enjoyed it as I read it.

MyPokerShirt said:
but... the squadron supreme shown in the marvel universe all those years is definately different from supreme power's people. MAX series was "non-canon" but then given its own universe:the Supremeverse (also referred to as Earth-31916 in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe: Alternate Worlds 2005) was supreme power's and classic squadron supreme are from earth-s or earth-712.

so squadron supreme's series follows...? who? you'd think seeing as its now in the marvel mainstream and has different characters to MAX series itd be classic 712 squadron supreme, but did it clearly follow on from supreme power?

The Squadron Supreme title now, are the same people from Supreme Power. Not that hard to follow.

I forgot about the "fish man" story from FRONTLINE #3, I just found it rather pointless so far, I guess.

does anyone know who that fish man is? I've been wondering about that after the issue. And yeah, Speedball is growing into me every issue I read, the man has fought and earned my respect and I can't wait when he/if he makes his appearance in Civil War.

has anyone read DMZ #9? cause not a lot of people talk about it. So far in my opinion DMZ is up to par with Fables, 100 Bullets, and Y: the last man anyone into Vertigo should check it out.

Dread said:
I forgot about the "fish man" story from FRONTLINE #3, I just found it rather pointless so far, I guess.

It seemed pointless but it's obviously going to go somewhere. I'm really interested as to who this guy is, why he had a needle filled with goo, and why he's so good with fish. I mean, maybe he's been around in the MU before, because I'm not completely keen on EVERY Marvel character that's ever been created.

Maybe it's a new character.

Dread said:

i think people are missing something here. Blue fish guy? sleeper cell?

i took this as the beginning of namor's role in civil war. it's not that hard to figure out. the guy is obviously an atlantian, what with the blue skin and all. i figure he's a spy sent by namor to see what's up on the surface world.

photojones2 said:
i think people are missing something here. Blue fish guy? sleeper cell?

i took this as the beginning of namor's role in civil war. it's not that hard to figure out. the guy is obviously an atlantian, what with the blue skin and all. i figure he's a spy sent by namor to see what's up on the surface world.

That would be pretty bad ass, if you ask me. :up:

SpideyInATree said:
That would be pretty bad ass, if you ask me. :up:

it is.

it's a little obvious though. "sleeper cell" implies that he's been there for a while now. i mean, he's posing as an old man and he's even married a human to fit in. now that civil war is happening, it's time for him to carry on his mission.

Frontline is ridiculously great. Paul Jenkins is the freakin' man.

SpideyInATree said:
First off, how is there a clone, who made it, why did they put a Peter Parker clone in a Scorpion suit, and who kidnapped MJ?

I'm not sure about the scorpion suit but look back at the venom arc. Connors assistant swipes a vile of pete's blood and his name is...BEN REILLY. Now I've been defending bendis tendency to be too obvious but that is just a ridiculously big...well I don't even no if you can call it a clue since the word clue implies you have to put some thought into it.

Note: this is not saying dumbass for not getting it, I'm saying dumbass bendis for making it so obvious (had some misunderstandings recently :D)

also, when do people think the molten man thing is gonna pay off on account of that exchange pete and mj had about it in the mall. I'm not sure if it's gonna tie in with the clone saga but I can't wait to see what bendis will do with it

hippy fascist said:
I'm not sure about the scorpion suit but look back at the venom arc. Connors assistant swipes a vile of pete's blood and his name is...BEN REILLY. Now I've been defending bendis tendency to be too obvious but that is just a ridiculously big...well I don't even no if you can call it a clue since the word clue implies you have to put some thought into it.

Note: this is not saying dumbass for not getting it, I'm saying dumbass bendis for making it so obvious (had some misunderstandings recently :D)

Yeah, I remember Ben Reilly swiping the second vial of the blood. That's pretty much what I feel is behind everything, but Ben Reilly couldn't act alone in all of this. He most likely needed a partner, or partners. Miles Warren is dating Aunt May now. And Nick Fury, at the end of the Hobgoblin arc, promised to take Spidey's powers away from him. So...there are a lot of things that could spark this. And who kidnapped MJ? Ben Reilly? Another Parker clone? Miles Warren? Gwen Stacy clone? Who knows.

Just read The Escapists #1 and A Man Called Kev #1, both very good first issues.:up:

Kool-Aid said:
Just read The Escapists #1 and A Man Called Kev #1, both very good first issues.:up:

Yaay! Finally someone else that's reading A Man Called Kev :D:up:

Ennis is god, preacher is the greatest comic book ever written...YAAY! (I admit it, I ran out of steam on this one...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"