Bought/Thought 071206 (Spoilers of course)

Marcdachamp said:
Spider-Girl- PICK OF THE WEEK! Let's see... 2 back-up issues, a cover gallery, profiles, a great main story, the announcement of a reboot... oh, and my letter getting printed (on my birthday, no less): Yeah, that's a pick of the week right there. 9/10

Mark your calendars, kids. Marcdachamp and I have the same Pick of the Week. That will never happen again. :p

Well New Avengers didnt come out this week so.:o

Doc Destruction said:
Mark your calendars, kids. Marcdachamp and I have the same Pick of the Week. That will never happen again. :p

I need a young priest and an old priest

More on FRONTLINE #3:

- I liked how in Reed's model, he demonstrates the overrepresentation of superheroes/supervillians in NY and CA. Guess even with the GLA, Wisconsin isn't even a blip. Other middle states don't fare much better; Brother Voodoo in New Orleans, and that's about it. ;)

- In previous topics, despite the fact that CW, like most "events", requires the death, torture, and overall misery of characters to grease its juices, that it would also serve as a good way of "boosting" some B and lower listers into a shot at redemption. I mean, sure, half of the founding New Warriors are dead, but the rest have a great premise for a relaunch, plus, when was the last time the NW were even INVOLVED in an "event"? But the other good thing, I suppose, is getting rid of some backlogs of Z-list space. Both Thunderclap and Bantam had a single appearence to their credit (and the former from a U.K. strip for chrissakes), so if ever there were characters to "sacrifice" for the sake of a story, I'd rather a useless Z-Lister than a downtrodden C or D lister. Besides, Bantam was a rather generic "Latin boxer" steroetype who for some reason chose a chicken as his symbol (yes, yes, I know "bantam" is a boxing weight-class, but the guy wore red fins on his head and the image of a bird on his chest for chrissakes). Better him than Hawkeye. :p

- FRONTLINE #3 did a good job, for once, of providing a reasonable example for the pro-registration side (just so its not all one-sided) with the Thunderclap/Bantam fight, and to add to what I typed above, Speedball is in good shape to really make a comeback if he survives. Spider-Man naturally will be the A-List "example" of the folly of the SHRA, but we know he's immortal. Speedball, on the other hand, sure isn't, which adds more suspence to his plight. In a way I can understand some people feeling he's being "stubborn" for seeming to refuse to admit that he and the Warriors were at least partly responsible for being reckless in their Stamford brawl, but naturally he's in a position where its "agree to the SHRA or go to jail", a perennial "deal you can't refuse". Remember, this is supposed to be a partial political allegory, and the ultimate thing a "liberal" can do is agree to be jailed for "standing against their country and for their beliefs". He morally feels that blaming him and the NW for a blast Nitro CHOSE to cause in Stamford is wrong, and he seems willing to face prison for it.

Plus, as "reckless" as Speedball and the NW were in engaging Nitro in a crowded area, they were hardly the first superheros to do so. Iron Fist and the Heroes for Hire took on Nitro in the middle of downtown NY in the late 90's, and didn't suffer any casualties or penalties, because the story didn't require it. Same for some of the times Iron Man took him on. They were chasing TV ratings as much as they were trying to ring in some Wanted Super-Cons, true, but Nitro still chose to "answer" Namorita's taunts by exploding. He could have surrendered, as Namorita offered (albeit in a taunting manner). Besides, in earlier issues of FRONTLINE and in the WOLVERINE tie-in, there may be more to Nitro's involvement than meets the eye.

One has to admit Speedball's got some stones for basically passing aside a "Get Out of Jail" deal for his beliefs. I hope Squirrel-Girl at least visits sometime soon. :(

Ive never respected any hero as much as I do Speedball in Frontline.

Darthphere said:
Ive never respected any hero as much as I do Speedball in Frontline.
In a weird way it has been a decent year for him in terms of character usage, even if you discount the lame relaunch of NEW WARRIORS (that provided an easy path to Stamford). He showed up in MTU and MASKED INTENTIONS, and if he lives, he'll probably be a bigger name and shot for stardom than ever before, assuming subsequent writers don't bungle it.

On the other hand, the last "superhero" to go to trial was White Tiger in a DD arc a few years back, and it didn't end well for Hector, probably one of the most malligned Marvel heroes EVER.

A couple of reviews.

Superman #654- Nice little one and done story. Really nice to see Lois in underwear in ever comic. :rolleyes: Lana Lang as Lexcopr CEo just seems odd to me on all levels and the SUperman Returns billboard was :rolleyes: worthy. But mostly yeah, nice little story.

Green Lantern #12- Easily Johns weakest book and things dont change here. The continuing trend to absolve Hal Jordan of any wrong doing is just plain and simple disgusting. This will rpobably be my last issue of this comic as at this point Johns has single handedly turned one of my favorite characters into one the characters I cant stand to see. Cyborg Superman...please.

A couple of late reviews.

Moon Knight #3- I absolutely love this book. What a great issue. Really has set the stage for a great comeback and The Profiler seems like a cool character. The emotional scenes were really well done and Finch continues to do great artwork on this.

Daredevil#86-Perfect. 'Nuff said. Cant wait to see Matt and Frank raise hell.

Young Avengers #12-Great ending to its first season I guess. Really looking forward to seeing these kids in action again.

About GL, wasn't it Jack T. Chance who lost his hand back in Emerald Twilight? :confused:

Eric Draven said:
About GL, wasn't it Jack T. Chance who lost his hand back in Emerald Twilight? :confused:

Youre probably thinking of when Lobo broke his finger off.

Who, Chance?

I thought I remembered in ET, Chance attacking Jordan and Jordan using his ring to cut off his hand....:confused:

Maybe, I dont remember. I remember Lobo ripping off his finger.

someone summerize the cap wolverine fight. did anyone win in any way.

More reviews....

Squadron Supreme #5-The art is great, writing is solid but this title is moving painfully slow. Looks like next issue heats up as redstone is back. If oyu dont remember who redstone is, hes the guy in Supreme Power who totally killed those people at the mall while fighting Hyperion, even throwing them at him. Sadly, those scene probably wont be seen on MK.

52 #10- Good issue, Black Adam is lsowly becoming a geat Dr. Doom like villain. The SUpernova mystery begins and a nice sub-plot with Dr. Morrow and WIl Magnus is intriguing.

Ms. Marvel #5- I really like this title. Is so plain and simple superhero action and Carol is a great character. Cant wait to see how Civil Was affects this title.

SNAKEWOMAN #1 was kinda cool. The Virgin line reminds me of Aspen's comics a little.

Did anyone get The Escapists #1 or WASTELAND #1?

52 #10

Booster’s story keeps bringing up a nagging “why doesn’t he just go into the future and find out how the timelines are screwed up” question. He was able to after Kord died. That’s killing my suspension of disbelief for Booster. Sooner he’s wrapped up, the better. Kent/SuperNova was great, even if we could see it coming from a mile away. Love that they are going to soften Black Adam. Wonder if the hostage could turn out to be Isis?

Best news: History CONCLUDES next issue. My prayers are answered.

Ghost Rider #1

Pretty pictures. Two seconds of story. Not worth a dime.

No character development, plotline leaves massive gaps and no real sense of story. I haven’t read a book this weak since Todd McFarland’s first issue writing Spiderman. I won’t be picking it up again. That probably means it will be a big hit too.

Front Line #3

They killed him! My favorite hero! He did such great things, too. Actually I never heard of him. Marvel wussed out here. Poor Speedball. Maybe we should give him another code name. Like “Reach-around Man”.

Superman #654

Good story and art is…well? My only comment is did anyone notice Superman’s face on the page 2-3 splash. I know he’s hitting that joker, but come on! He looks like a goofy caricature of an oriental or something. Looking at the book a second time, Kent/Supes has an Asian look throughout the whole issue. Lois looks slamming, however. Not a bad issue, but hmmm.

Star Wars Legacy has some of the best art I've ever seen in a comic, and the story kicks ass as well. Good call Roach.

And by the way, I know who Dark Krayt is, do you? ;)

Darthphere said:
Well New Avengers didnt come out this week so.:o
You ass. =P

Doc, I dont know how anyone could buy that issue and not make it their pick. Thats how you do an issue #100.

GNR, I really cant get into solo Iron Man. Outside of Avengers, hes never appealed to me. Im giving Ghosty a few issues.

Kotagg said:
Star Wars Legacy has some of the best art I've ever seen in a comic, and the story kicks ass as well. Good call Roach.

And by the way, I know who Dark Krayt is, do you? ;)

no I missed the first issue...my LCS sold out of it

SonOfCthulhu said:
52 #10

Booster’s story keeps bringing up a nagging “why doesn’t he just go into the future and find out how the timelines are screwed up” question.

I thought it was mentioned that if he went back to the future they were gonna execute him

roach said:
I thought it was mentioned that if he went back to the future they were gonna execute him

I thought so too, but I haven't heard it brought up since his ongoing. I believe he has mentioned going back after Ted Kord/Blue Beetle died which is the basis for my current question.

SonOfCthulhu said:
I thought so too, but I haven't heard it brought up since his ongoing. I believe he has mentioned going back after Ted Kord/Blue Beetle died which is the basis for my current question.

tell me who Darth Krayt is

Do Marvel Knights books have the MK logo still? I havent seen it on the cover of these MK books in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"