Bought/Thought November 18th, 2009 SPOILERS

Streets of Gotham #6: the guest writer was really cool for this 2-part story. Great to see Huntress, Batman & Man-Bat in some action. It was a short-time thug as the main villain with this invisibility costume who was fooling this priest, but theres a good twist to this hehe. :)

Azrael #2 gaaah i couldn't resist buying this even tho im saving for New X-Men collection lol. :( Oh well school support cash for the win! :D Art is pretty decent/fun for the serie. It seems Azrael's assistant is getting prepared to silence the sanity Azrel is going to receive from the Suit of Sorrows. It also seems he is developing a split personality (or the SUIT talks) thruouth the costume. He's a cool hero with some cool twists. This issue was really fun and the way he saves 2 criminals was pretty cool hehe. :D

Dark Avengers #11 So Hand is a lesbian? Oh the fap material people can make of this! Anyhow i loved the art, Molecule Man was awesome and yeah, it was rather slow paced comic but lol did Molecule Man rock!

Deadpool Merc with a Mouth #5. I am with the rest of you guys, this was another wonderful issue full of laughs. Unfortunately, I don't need to read two Deadpool series so I'll be dropping this when the arc ends next month. Still a fun read, though. :D

Dark Reign The List - The Amazing Spider-Man: Can't believe nobody's reviewed Spidey yet. As usual, Dan Slott gives us another amazing one-issue Spidey tale. While this issue doesn't have the great, shocking ending of The List-Punisher, it has a great battle scene between Spidey and Iron Patriot. #8 on Norman's list is kill Spider-Man, and #1 on Peter Parker's list is to take down Norman Osborn. There is a great scene where Norman opens the door to his secret lab and sees Spidey stealing his computer information, and the chase is on.

The second story is a reprint of The Pulse #5. Good story, too; but, I really didn't need to read it again. It's really not what I'd consider a "classic," and isn't even that old.

Amazing Spider-Man #612: Mark Waid's The Gauntlet begins, and how great is it to be finished with the Ben Reily story. (Definitely the BIGGEST Spidey-story disappointment I've had in a long time.) Waid does a good job of making the reader sympathetic with the main villian, Electro. By the issue's end, I was rooting more for him than Spidey. Peter really comes across as a tool at the end. I also loved the social relevance of Waid's story, dealing with government buyouts and the community's anger over the rich just getting richer, while the small guy suffers.

OK, here is the cool part about this issue! I have NO PROBLEM paying an extra buck for this issue when I get a back-up story by Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura, the same team that brought us last year's wonderful "I Kill Giants." This Black Cat story was sweet...but, what I really loved was seeing Niimura's art again, which just loved in Giants.

Deadpool Merc with a Mouth #5. I am with the rest of you guys, this was another wonderful issue full of laughs. Unfortunately, I don't need to read two Deadpool series so I'll be dropping this when the arc ends next month. Still a fun read, though. :D

I'm with you. But if MWAM keeps on like this, it might be the main series I end up dropping.

Thunderbolts #138: This is one of those titles that always has a decent story; but, never quite hits that peak of wowwing me. This issue is no different. The Ghost continues his little mind games, playing all the members of the Thunderbolts like pawns in his game. He's probably the most interesting character in this group, and I'm hoping there is an eventual payoff to all the things we've been seeing him do. Can't wait for the next issue, though. T-Bolts vs. Agents of Atlas!!!

War Machine #11: FINALLY, we get a pretty dang good issue of War Machine....sadly, it's a little too late, as this comic is cancelled after the next issue. At least it looks like Pak is putting things right.
It appears Rhodey will be back to his old human self, as we learn on the last page he's got a Rhodey 2.0 body waiting for him. That's good, as this Cyborg rip-off just never worked for me.

I'm with you. But if MWAM keeps on like this, it might be the main series I end up dropping.

If I had to choose, I'd definitely drop the main title...but, the hard decision would be between MWAM or Deadpool Team-Up. That first issue by Van Lente was pretty darn good.

EDIT: BTW, the biggest surprise of the week! A Brian Michael Bendis title that wasn't $3.99!!! Yep, Spider-Woman #3 only cost me $2.99. What's more shocking is it's probably the best thing he's writing currently.

Thunderbolts #138: This is one of those titles that always has a decent story; but, never quite hits that peak of wowwing me. This issue is no different. The Ghost continues his little mind games, playing all the members of the Thunderbolts like pawns in his game. He's probably the most interesting character in this group, and I'm hoping there is an eventual payoff to all the things we've been seeing him do. Can't wait for the next issue, though. T-Bolts vs. Agents of Atlas!!!

War Machine #11: FINALLY, we get a pretty dang good issue of War Machine....sadly, it's a little too late, as this comic is cancelled after the next issue. At least it looks like Pak is putting things right.
It appears Rhodey will be back to his old human self, as we learn on the last page he's got a Rhodey 2.0 body waiting for him. That's good, as this Cyborg rip-off just never worked for me.
Hasn't he had a human body waiting for him for the entire series? I remember someone mentioning that there's a clone body he could be transferred into as far back as the very first arc. Rhodey just decided he wanted to keep killing everything in sight. :doh:

I think we all knew the change would come...just not when. As I said, I think one major problem with this series is that Rhodey just seemed like a Cyborg clone, and it's just taken away from what used to be a pretty good character in the 80's. I think a lot could have been done with this series; and, this new issue kind of shows a cool new direction...but, it's a little too little too late.

Wolverine Weapon X # 7 Yup, the Wolverino is still hanging out in the insane asylum and things are just getting more and more strange. He isn't sure why he is there if nothing they are doing seems to be making him better. Some mob guys show up there to talk to the doc about getting some hired help from teh crazies and we learn that the doc that is there now isn't the doc that used to be the last time the mob guys came. The old doc has "died". I'm guessing that the dude in charge now was probably an inmate who killed the old doc and then took over. This arc is strange but I don't really mind. It still really reminds me of that last Hush story with him running a madhouse on his own. So strange but good is my thoughts on this so far. :)

I'm vocal in my loathing of the FrankenCastle direction. In all things concerning fandom, I try to go in with a level head. Well I read it and while trying to avoid bias, I felt overall very meh about it. Here are some of my thoughts that I posted to another board:

I wasn't filled with as much hate as I thought I'd be. The concept of the monsters living in their underground society and needing help from a Marvel hero is interesting, but too far removed From Frank's core. We're so used to seeing these creatures as fantasy adventure fodder that we rarely take time to sit down and see them as fragile creatures with their own sentience and love for one another. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but at the same time it heavily left me feeling that there could have been more added to this issue.

For the first issue that is post-status-quo-shake up, it didn't really feel as together as it should have for me; I know this is the first bit in a bigger arc, but I was hoping to see a bit more of Frank dealing with what's happened to him or even reaction from others and such. I know things will tighten focus for the next couple of issues, but it ended pretty quickly. The scene between the Molten preacher and Frank (though really short) was interesting to me, the "God does make mistakes!" line as well as him flashing back to his family was rather interesting. I really don't like this direction, I just don't, but I'm trying to keep a level head and be fair. I thought the art was rather striking and I would love to see more of this guy's work. Each character's "voice" was quite distinct and I felt the interactions were fitting. I haven't seen Man-thing for a while (even though he popped up in another book recently) so it was nice seeing ol' Swamp noggin again.

Also one thing unrelated to Frank that caught me was the monster killers; they just seemed really generic, and their speaking patterns seemed weird. The "Destroy All Monsters" line made me roll my eyes. At least Godzilla didn't show up with Ghidorah...someone wake me up when this is over?

Overall, this is going to be a tough pill for me to swallow, in my opinion it's a stupid idea, and I loath it. The memories of Zombisher are coming back. (funny factoid: as a kid I was interested in the first issue till I really sat down and realized what was going on) They mentioned he's incomplete, hopefully at the end of this rather bizarre arc, they can get access to better tech and make Frank presentable at least...I hate the piecemeal look.

Now I want to share with you a more detailed look on my thoughts before any of you think I'm a stubborn Punisher fanboy who can't accept change. I love Max and I enjoyed Frank's return with War Journal, till the later bits. I'm not against Frank getting into somewhat odd and comic-booky situations. As Dread said ages ago in a review, this direction made Frank the Brock Sampson of the Marvel U, and boy do I love the Venture bros. I found that interesting, I even liked how at the beginning of this new Punisher book he altered his tactics and started using villain tech against bad guys; it was a natural and sensible evolution in tactics. My main issue with this new status was not even the death, I was disappointed that Daken got to to the deed, granted I didn't see more than the scans of Frank's final moments that were posted around, but what I saw didn't bother me from a writing standpoint. From things heard, Frank fought like hell but ultimately lost. It made me quite sad to see one of my longstanding personal favourite characters die in such an extreme and brutal fashion, but it did what it meant to; evoke strong feelings. For months and months and MOOOOooooOOonths prior, I knew Frank was going to be brought back as Frankencastle (Marvel doesn't really keep secrets when previews and solicits spill the beans months in advance) so this was not some horrific surprise for me.

I like that Frank is in a world filled with super heroes and demigods, yet he chooses to stick to the streets and the issues that can't be easily solved by punching a brightly colored buffoon in the face and chucking him in jail for 3 months. For me I always saw him like Batman; (no I'm not comparing the two explicitly so calm down buster brown...teehee rhyming) a man surrounded by the supers but never useless; Frank has skill, undying determination and a strong stomach for the harsher things, the ugly things, the things that people don't want to face or should not EVER have to face, even in a mythical world of gamma rays and Squirrel girls.

Frank to me, didn't need any bizarre change to his very being, and if someone did come along and want to change that, I'd face it with an open mind; it's just that, changing him so radically by making him an unearthly being employed by God or a shattered abomination just throws a wrench into the dynamic and polarizes readers. Though if a capable writer can pull it off, then I'll give respect where it is due. The problem is that if you do have a capable writer, but they don't understand how to mesh the old and new status-quo, then you run into problems. First let's look at Frankencastle as a concept and not the story arc. This is weird and it turns my stomach despite loving the previous work of the writer, though I was curious to see where he was going with this. Now, let's look at the story arc's plan. Frank, newly revived as an incomplete aberration teams up with a legion of monsters and fights to defend other monsters from samurai-themed monster killers in the morlock tunnels.....what? Really? It's just a strange jump into the absolute unfamiliar. This to me, is akin to having Thor heavily focusing on street level threats like drug runners while Daredevil and the Hand are now facing cosmic threats like the Shiar empire or fighting off the brood for the foreseeable future. This isn't some special event in which all the heroes have to band together and defend earth from some temporary threat. This is the new “regular tone” of the stories. It's just too strange.

See, if Frank was brought back as some sort of Deathlok, Robocop, or even Marvel's higher class of cyborg such as Lady Deathstrike (who, until they weaponize themselves, appear indistinguishably human) I'd cautiously give it a chance. It still has elements I'm unsure of; now that he would be a cyborg (with more dignity that a sewn up rotting corpse) he would lose the “normal man against superhuman odds” dynamic that draws in many fans. If he was going to continue playing close to his element of choice I'd be fine with that, but if he was now a cyborg and time travelling or fighting Marvel's mystical critters side by side with Ghost Rider(s) then I'd be upset.

In the end I'm curious to see where this is going, but I'd rather have a quick fix to this. I like my “realistic” Punisher Max, and I used to love the 616 version of Frank. I'm just going to see where the future leads and keep a level head. Thanks to anyone who read this post, I appreciate it.

I agree with you. However, we differ on a few things. I own and have read every Punisher issue printed from the 80's till now. I hated WarJournal with a passion and the Dark Reign run wasn't much better. When I first heard about FrankenCastle, I'll admit I "Nerd Raged" pretty hard. NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about FrankenCastle fits in with the character, the tone, the themes, nothing. It is a mockery of a character that, I'll concede, isn't the most popular. But it's a mockery none-the less. I can't belive Marvel would pull this crap again, after the titanic failure that was "Zombisher". Marvel tried this concept once and what did they discover? They learned that their fanbase wanted a realistic, down-to-earth Punisher. If they wanted an avenging arch-angel, they could read Spawn. This wasn't the character that they had grown up reading and the exact same concept applies to FrankenCastle. Marvel may gain some shallow, new fans with this ******ed stunt, but they'll lose a greater number in long-term readers.
So, who loses because of FrankenCastle? Marvel will lose sales (maybe not at first), REAL Punisher fans have lost the character they love, FrankenCastle fans (and I can't believe ANYONE feels this is a good idea) will lose when the series is cancelled after long-term fans bail on the title. Great job, Marvel. These must be the same guys running the country.

Marvel may gain some shallow, new fans with this ******ed stunt, but they'll lose a greater number in long-term readers.
So, who loses because of FrankenCastle? Marvel will lose sales (maybe not at first), REAL Punisher fans have lost the character they love, FrankenCastle fans (and I can't believe ANYONE feels this is a good idea) will lose when the series is cancelled after long-term fans bail on the title. Great job, Marvel. These must be the same guys running the country.

Judge much? :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

It's a gimmick... one that might last 6 months... Marvel is trying something new as opposed to the same old Punisher shoots mobster stories... it's cheesey, and it's fun, and I'm certainly not going to take it "seriously"... and I've been an avid Punisher fan from the 80's, and I don't certainly think of myself as shallow.

Thanks.

:yay:

Given that Punishermax is supposedly pretty good in spite of its stupid title, I don't see the problem with Frankencastle. People who like gritty Frank have Punishermax, people who are interested in a silly, novel take can try Remender's Punisher. That's the beauty of having choices.

But if you should choose the latter, then you're shallow... :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

:whatever: :whatever:

Mighty Avengers 31:Good finish to a ok arc.Poor quicksilver. ****
X-Men Legacy 229:Like the last issue ok not so bad but i find emplate and D.O.A boring. ***
Dark Avengers 11:This has to be the worst issue out of all of them.Bringing back a z- lister villan.BORING! **
More Reviews later.

Molecule Man was awesome in Dark Avengers. The way they were all crapping themselves, it's about time.

Judge much? :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

It's a gimmick... one that might last 6 months... Marvel is trying something new as opposed to the same old Punisher shoots mobster stories... it's cheesey, and it's fun, and I'm certainly not going to take it "seriously"... and I've been an avid Punisher fan from the 80's, and I don't certainly think of myself as shallow.

Thanks.

This is what The people who Buy Red Hulk and Justice League:Cry for Justice say to themselves everynight before they go to bed.

Actually, I gotta say this was probably one of my least favorite issues of Dark Avengers thus far. I've never read anything with Molecule Man in it, though I'm familiar with the character, so I have no connection to him. After last issue's amazing ending with Mephisto, Beyonder, Enchantress, etc. and then to have them all just mirages was dumb. Plus, whoever did the art for those few little guest stints... Horn maybe? They just weren't good, no emotion at all, and a complete contradiction to Deadato's style. I'm very disappointed in that.

This is what The people who Buy Red Hulk and Justice League:Cry for Justice say to themselves everynight before they go to bed.

I don't buy the latter, but I certainly enjoy some cheesey fun in my comics once in a while... as well as a deep & dark storyline...

Why does it have to be so %^#%king black & white?
Do you think you're a "better" comic book reader (my god, I can't even type that without smirking) because you read only "good quality books" that everyone else on the internet tells you to read?

Give me a *&$%king break... :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

Every person should read what they like... and every other person should shut up about what those other people read... it's as simple as that. Taste is taste and everyone's differant.

I mean, I can't stand the direction of Spider-Man since BND and want it to die a slow death in a fiery hell... but I don't go telling other people they have bad taste or taunt them for reading it (unless it's in obvious fun). If they enjoy it then wonderful, and we'll discuss our differances, but there's a limit to be drawn when it comes to insulting the people who read the comics.

Gotta say frankencastle has me actually wanting to give a crap about the punisher for the first time in ten years. Well give a crap as in want to see him and actually buy a comic he's in instead never wanting to see that self righteous asshat in anything I buy.

And don't anyone compare Punisher stories with spider-man stories. For one thing Frank Castle would rather his family burn to death in front of him then be brought back through unholy means.

The point is without some level of change Frank is just the exact same song and dance as he's always been. Eventually capping mobsters (of which there are apparently billions) in a world full of guys that can fly and do incredible things just gets a little old and Frank (despite what ennis might think) just doesn't stand up in the MU in terms of a legitimate character.

Gotta say frankencastle has me actually wanting to give a crap about the punisher for the first time in ten years. Well give a crap as in want to see him and actually buy a comic he's in instead never wanting to see that self righteous asshat in anything I buy.

And don't anyone compare Punisher stories with spider-man stories. For one thing Frank Castle would rather his family burn to death in front of him then be brought back through unholy means.

The point is without some level of change Frank is just the exact same song and dance as he's always been. Eventually capping mobsters (of which there are apparently billions) in a world full of guys that can fly and do incredible things just gets a little old and Frank (despite what ennis might think) just doesn't stand up in the MU in terms of a legitimate character.

Pres. Obama believes the Cold War was a worthless joke and I am sure many of his supporters agree)... Now of course, endless appeasement and negotiations with enemies who vow to kill you on a daily basis is what passes for national security....

Hmm, dam, I used to respect Dread's opinion...

Flash Rebirth #5: Yes, Geoff Johns is a great writer, but winning the 2009 Spike TV "Best Comic Book Writer" award is nothing to scream about...let alone put on the cover of all of his titles. All it does is take your eyes away from the art on the cover.

Ok, got that off my chest...now, onto the actual review.

Maybe DC is stretching Johns a little thin. He's working on so many books...some great, and some just so-so. This is a so-so title. Waaay too many Flashes, and the big surprise at the end of this issue just made me say, "Oh please!"

It turns out Reverse-Flash killed Barry's mother.

This comic looks good, and I feel I should be enjoying it more than I am. But, I think it's just that it all feels like a bit too much. There was a lot of action, also, in this issue...but, it didn't go anywhere. It felt like filler until the final issue.

Streets Of Gotham #6: I enjoyed this second part of the Huntress story much more than the first issue. I loved some of Huntress' thought comments while being tied up, and the ending was kind of neat, too. Still, the best part of this title is getting more Manhunter as the Second Feature. I'm not a fan of Marvel and DC's extras at the end of their books...but, Manhunter is the exception. (Same with having Spider-Girl in Web Of Spider-Man. I'll pay extra for both of these characters.)

Batman Confidential #37: Good second part of this Blackhawk storyline. Out of all the Birds of Prey, Zinda has always been my favorite. (I think it's the costume with the long, flowing blonde hair.) Not being a long-time DC comics reader, I didn't really know that much about her character; so, it was neat to hear how she came to the current DC timeline by the events in Zero Hour. (Now, I'll have to check that comic out.) As always, Batman Confidential delivers the type of Batman story that I like.

Supergirl #47: This issue focuses on Supergirl's mom, Alura, as she deals with the trial of Reactron and her feelings over the death of her husband by his hands. Nice issue.

Adventure Comics #4: Good, fun issue that ties in with Blackest Night. Superboy-Prime fights Blackest Night Luthor Alexander of Earth-3, and knows almost everything that is going to happen, because on Earth-Prime, you can read about DC's heroes in the comic books. (Some funny stuff here, like him saying, "Why couldn't they leave me out of this? People already hate me enough as it is.") He rushes to a local comic shop, asking for the next issue which hasn't been released yet; all because the last page of the comic is a cliffhanger. (Naturally, things don't look good for Superboy at the end....and, it has me wanting to know what happens next, too.)

3 more comics!

Dark Avengers #11: Wow, interesting to see 2 people loved this issue and 2 didn't. For me, BEST ISSUE OF DARK AVENGERS!!! So cool to see Molecule Man make a comeback, and the writing is pretty much how you expect him to be. He's the most powerful person on Earth; but, he's got severe mental issues. (JH, remember, he almost won Contest Of Marvels Season 1! And, I DO believe he's more powerful than Thanos...it's just those darn mental issues!!!) Sure, this is not an action issue; but, it's got so much. I loved the backstory on Hand, too. Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Black Knight One-Shot: At first, I was so disappointed. This is not Black Knight - Dane Whitman...this is Merlin Era Black Knight - Sir Richard. I felt like a victim of Bait and Switch. BUT, after a few pages, I was probably enjoying this issue more than if it would have just been another Dane Whitman solo issue. Kind of like the Thor One-Shots, this tells an ancient story of long ago. Sir Richard and his twin brother, Percy, are total opposites. Richard is brave and courageous; Percy is a musician, drunkard, and coward. One night, Merlin comes to Richard, explaining the origin of Excalibur and it's twin blade, Chaos the Doombring. Sir Mordred is presently looking for the evil blade, in hopes to overthrow Arthur's kingdom; and, Merlin sends Sir Richard on a quest to find it and bring it back. Unexpectedly, Percy hears of this quest, and demands to go along. At the end of the quest, and in order to save his brother, Percy grabs ahold of Chaos The Doombringer, only to be taken under its thrall.

It's kind of obvious how the story will unfold; but, nonetheless, still very good. This was a nice surprise.

Justice Society Of America 80-Page Giant #1: They should have called this 80-Page Crapfest!!! Definitely, this is the worst comic I've read all month. It's so bad, by the time I got the staples in the middle of the comic, I had enough. There are probably about 6 comics each year I cannot get through, and this was one of them. (Although, it didn't help that it was 80 pages...I did pretty good reading 40 of them.)

Basically, this story has the JSA at their base of operations, when a quake rocks the place. The members quickly become disoriented...and, what follows are 7 stories that make very little sense at all within the confides of the quake premise. After reading half, I quickly skipped to the end, and Dr. Fate basically helps them out and warns of great change in the future. Of course, there is going to be change...JSA is getting a new writer, and the book has been suffering with bad stories since the Gog storyline came to an end. Whatever you do, don't shell out the $5.99 for this!

Realm Of Kings One-Shot: I see Corp and Dread both liked this issue; but, I have to be on the other side of the fence. It just felt like an issue of Exiles to me...and, not even a good issue of that. The art looked good, which is something I can't say for the other Realm of Kings title, Inhumans; but, after the nicely done job on both Annihilation cosmic events, things just feel like they are slowly slipping downhill. The Fault storyline is now boring me to tears; and, my liking of this issue is not helped by the reminder of the events that ended in the last issue of Guardians Of The Galaxy. (And, instead of having the evil version of Warlock, we're going to have the evil version of Quasar instead now.)

I say keep the individual titles going, like Guardians Of The Galaxy and Nova...but, I seriously think they need a time out with the events...at least until a new, fresh idea can be thought of. This is not new or fresh. Heck, we've even been seeing the same damn thing with Marvel Zombies lately. It's gotten freakin' boring!

Realm Of Kings - Inhumans #1: This is slightly better than the previous reviewed issue...but, the art inside isn't that good. Crystal looks more like Sue Storm, for one thing. Basically, the we're seeing the results of War Of Kings from the Inhuman's perspective, as Gorgon becomes more popular, Medusa mourns for her husband, and "Uncle Max" becomes more restless.

I don't know...I think what happened in Guardians Of The Galaxy and what looked like a real promising storyline featurning the return of Magus just ruined my liking of anything coming out from Abnett and Lanning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"