Bought/Thought October 7th, 2009

Least now that PLANETARY is officially finished, I can await the inevitable ABSOLUTE collection and just read it then.

I didn't bother with DOCTOR VOODOO because I am not usually a magic fan, I haven't read NEW AVENGERS since last year (and haven't missed it) and a $4 debut issue for a character I have no invested interest in before (unlike MOON KNIGHT) is usually a bit much unless it is jaw-droppingly excellent. Between that or HAUNT, the latter was the pick due to cover price.

I think the first Absolute Volume of Planetary is out if you didn't know, Dread

They'll release some new trade that has the final issue in it and whatnot. Just give it a year. 27 issues isn't that much. The first Brubaker CA Omnibus had about 25-26 issues of material.

They'll probably just release a Absolute Volume 2 with the rest of the series I would assume

Aren't there like 3 volumes of Absolute Planetary out already?

3 regular size trades, and 1 Absolute trade

Ah. Well, hopefully when the next Absolute volume comes out, they'll reissue the first volume, since it came out like 3 years ago.

Mental note: Not going to be adding Models Inc to weekly stack, lol

Yeah, skip it. Marvel Divas is a much superior title, and it deals with the heavy topic of cancer. Last issue, #3, was simply great.

Models bored me to death. I'll still finish getting the series, as I'm a Marvel completionist...but, it might be the worst Marvel title I read last month.

The Mighty is linked to the main DCU?

I thought so, as it's a DC title, and not Vertigo or Wildstorm. Alpha One did mention he read Superman comics ; but, not for sure how it's linked to the DCU. I guess it could be an alternate universe.

I kind of figured it had to be an alternate universe, given the description of it. Isn't the dude in it supposed to be that world's only superhero?

I thought you said it was just "decent." I enjoyed it a lot, and this is after I was making fun of Voodoo when he became Sorcerer Supreme. The issue really turned me around.

I still think it was decent... ok, better than decent... the art will take some getting used to, but overall, in spite of the crappy title this book has, me likes what I read...

I hope there's going to be a blend of the magical (Dr.Strange) side with the horror aspect that I'm used to seeing with Jericho ala the 70's Marvel Horror books.

:yay:

I'd really love to see magic be at the center of a big event (since everything gets one these days). Get everyone involved--Voodoo, Strange, Thor, Ghost Rider, Blade, Captain Britain, the Black Knight, etc. That would be fun. Hell, maybe that's waiting for us whenever they reveal what the Vishanti's big prophecy is.

I'd really love to see magic be at the center of a big event (since everything gets one these days). Get everyone involved--Voodoo, Strange, Thor, Ghost Rider, Blade, Captain Britain, the Black Knight, etc. That would be fun. Hell, maybe that's waiting for us whenever they reveal what the Vishanti's big prophecy is.

Marvel tried that MYSTIC ARCANA mini series a few years ago and those sales tanked, so I think Marvel is a little nervous about the magic angle to spawn an event around it quite yet. Sure, DOCTOR VOODOO is getting a series based on showing up in Bendis' NEW AVENGERS, but do did IRON FIST, and SPIDER-WOMAN, and even Clint & Mockingbird; Marvel is just going by the formula. You could justly argue that ARCANA tanked because the solicits were vague, and it featured hard-draw characters like Sister Grimm and Magik centered around a story about no-name Ian McGee (trying too hard to be Harry Potter). But since when does Marvel learn something constructive from a failure? Hardly ever. I mean, the only thing they learned about the loss of sales on MOON KNIGHT or EXILES was to try relaunching with a new #1 and an altered title; a parrot at a keyboard could have planned that.

On the other hand, THOR has been a steady Top 10-15 seller for years now despite JMS' lateness and thus is more of a draw than he's been in a while. To be honest I wouldn't have minded if other mystical superheroes besides Ghost Rider and Hellstorm gave a hoot that God was dethroned. I could imagine a properly built up event with Thor as a major draw selling at least as many copies as later issues of WAR OF KINGS.

Granted, Bendis would likely be involved, so it'd be garbage. :(

Last edited:
One of my favorite marvel events was inferno, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again. Dormammu has been banging on the door of this dimension for too long, or they could use Mephisto. He and Peter Parker having a conversation would be cool.

Marvel made Mystic Arcana about a bunch of random nobodies in the mystical community and withheld the big guns like Dr. Strange, Thor, Ghost Rider, et al. Even with Annihilation, which featured mostly 2nd-stringers, they had enough sense to include the Silver Surfer and Thanos.

Mystical stuff has skirted the edge of the major comics, so there are plenty of mystical characters that a broad audience is aware of at this point. Just bring them all together for an event, is all I'm saying. It doesn't have to be just magic-types involved. Throw the Avengers in to make everyone assume it's relevant to the "main" continuity of the Marvel universe.

Hell, the Skrulls are more of a FF/cosmic villain, yet they were made relevant and profitable by Marvel effectively telling people that they're important because an event centered on them.

Oh I read Models, Inc. #2. The dialogue is still awkward in places, but the story got a bit more fun. Johnny Storm shows up to do a little breaking and entering on behalf of his supermodel girlfriend's buddy Millie and the fact that Chili Storm was so jealous of Patsy Walker being Hellcat that she decided to become a superheroine herself (i.e. wear a mask for no particular reason) was chuckle-worthy. Although it also made me curious as to why Hellcat isn't appearing in defense of/assistance to her friend; she's just hanging about as Patsy Walker all the time. Anyway, I hope the mystery--and the series--picks up. I'd really love to genuinely enjoy this series without trying so hard.

Last edited:
One of my favorite marvel events was inferno, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again. Dormammu has been banging on the door of this dimension for too long, or they could use Mephisto. He and Peter Parker having a conversation would be cool.

INFERNO was at heart an X-Men event. It may have involved demons and some tie-ins with other books but it was basically an X-Men crossover. You could do a story about a Snark invasion and it would sell with the X-Men involved.

Marvel made Mystic Arcana about a bunch of random nobodies in the mystical community and withheld the big guns like Dr. Strange, Thor, Ghost Rider, et al. Even with Annihilation, which featured mostly 2nd-stringers, they had enough sense to include the Silver Surfer and Thanos.

Mystical stuff has skirted the edge of the major comics, so there are plenty of mystical characters that a broad audience is aware of at this point. Just bring them all together for an event, is all I'm saying. It doesn't have to be just magic-types involved. Throw the Avengers in to make everyone assume it's relevant to the "main" continuity of the Marvel universe.

Hell, the Skrulls are more of a FF/cosmic villain, yet they were made relevant and profitable by Marvel effectively telling people that they're important because an event centered on them.

Many critics felt Marvel overdid Skrulls and missed their purpose. The Skrulls were supposed to be dangerous because they are shape-shifters, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS stuff. Instead they fly into Time's Square and stage a frontal assault like basically any alien race from a 1950's B-movie. Their planning was erratic and Bendis explained their motivations better in interviews than in the actual story. One could go on and on. Yes, SECRET INVASION sold, but now the audience is tired of Skrulls. The SKRULL KILL KREW mini has all but sold outside the Top 300 since.

I do agree that MYSTIC ARCANA missed the boat by focusing on C-Listers or no names. As I noted in my above post, though, Marvel rarely learns genuinely constructive lessons from any failure. All they learn is relaunch, relaunch, relaunch. The fact that Joe Q himself dislikes Magic stuff means that Bendis would have to be heavily involved to get it approved, especially after ARCANA...which would mean it would be rubbish.

I see ANNIHILATION and the wonderful Marvel space area as an exception and not the rule. Even that, besides token appearances by Thanos and Silver Surfer (who are in no way large draws either), the original was done by Keith Giffen, who had some name-power. Heck, he still did STAR-LORD for CONQUEST when Abnett & Lanning were starting to feel their way into the universe.

One could say a magic event with Thor as a headliner would at least sell 40k per considering what a draw he has become. The problem is that the simpliest solution is the one Marvel does last; they overcompensate and over complicate; just look at the mess of M-Day. They approached a problem of "too many mutants" and applied a solution that was a creative equal to killing a gnat with napalm and resulting in a book with just as many if not more X-Men in it than in 1997, with a butchered premise to boot. Unless the aim was to turn the X-Men into the New Inhumans, sometimes Joe Q would deny.

The "ASSAULT ON MOUNT OLYMPUS" story out of INCREDIBLE HERCULES is somewhat close, as the gods are "mystical". That's due to involve Herc, the Mighty Avengers, Spider-Man and the Agents of Atlas, at least. That book has been struggling at some 28-31k sales for months, though. It's been faring better than MS. MARVEL some years sales wise, but that isn't a whole lot to hoot about.

I essentially agree that an event, properly hyped, starring Thor alongside some other borderline popular magical heroes like Doctor Strange, Voodoo, Moon Knight, the MI-13 crew, etc. would and could easily deliver sales on par with WAR OF KINGS perhaps. I just don't think Marvel wants to do that right now, and if they do would likely rely on Bendis since some of this spread from NEW AVENGERS, and while he's not in Loeb territory yet (he's pretentious, not dumb, and averages one decent story a year at least), he struggles with everything that isn't solo pulp hero stuff, but sells too well for anyone to tell him so or for him to move along.

INFERNO was at heart an X-Men event. It may have involved demons and some tie-ins with other books but it was basically an X-Men crossover. You could do a story about a Snark invasion and it would sell with the X-Men involved.

Doesn't mean it wasn't a good event all the same. I mean demons invade NY and everyone in NY had to fight. Yeah it was mainly an X event but you have to admit demonic invasion of the earth is a pretty good concept to build an event around.

Doesn't mean it wasn't a good event all the same. I mean demons invade NY and everyone in NY had to fight. Yeah it was mainly an X event but you have to admit demonic invasion of the earth is a pretty good concept to build an event around.

It's main point in some ways was to climax the Maddie Pryor and Magik storylines. Recent events have all but made INFERNO moot.

I find it hilarious that comics pride themselves on "soap opera style writing" when one can barely go a season without a soap opera shutting production these days. Maybe some new ideas to the House of Ideas, fellas? :doh:

Ironically, I'm not a fan of the X-Men's magic stuff. I think I may have a deep-seated hatred of mutants 'cause the idea of them horning in on the magic scene pisses me off. First Moonstar becomes a f***ing Valkyrie, then Magik is, like, lord of a demon dimension, then Storm turns out to be descended from extremely potent sorceresses or some junk... it's like I just can't get away from goddamned mutants, no matter how obscure a corner of the Marvel universe I try to escape to. :argh:

Ironically, I'm not a fan of the X-Men's magic stuff. I think I may have a deep-seated hatred of mutants 'cause the idea of them horning in on the magic scene pisses me off. First Moonstar becomes a f***ing Valkyrie, then Magik is, like, lord of a demon dimension, then Storm turns out to be descended from extremely potent sorceresses or some junk... it's like I just can't get away from goddamned mutants, no matter how obscure a corner of the Marvel universe I try to escape to. :argh:

I feel the same way about their cosmic ****.

Me too, although I'm a fan of Havok and non-crazy Polaris, so I didn't mind them too much. Vulcan being the main villain of a cosmic crossover rankled me a bit initially, but it turned out pretty good.

Daredevil was by far the best book I've read so far this week. I like where Diggle is going with
DD killing Master Izo.
I'm looking forward to more.

ASM was really solid also. I can't wait for the return of Web of SM next week!

How are they horning in on the magic scene any more than the Avengers, etc.? (and it's not like any of those things get brought up outside the X-Men's own titles 99% of the time)

And yet when Dan Slott wanted to put Beast in Mighty Avengers, they said no. Apparently it's fine if X-Men stumble into any title or corner of Marvel, just so long as they don't stop being X-Men or don't join a team that makes sense for them to. :o

The question, of course, would be what kind of magical threat would be worthy of challenging Thor, Ghost Rider(s), Captain Britain and MI-13, Doctors Strange and Voodoo, Blade, etc.? And who would be ideal to write it?

Whatever the Vishanti are predicting seems to be huge if containing Dormammu is just the first step in Voodoo's process of thwarting it. There are mystical threats aplenty out there. Maybe containing Dormammu finally pisses him off enough to just force his way through into the main reality and the heroes finally have to face him at full power. That's a s***-your-pants powerful threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"