Bought/Thought Thread 11-14-2007 SPOILER ALERT!

It also took a relatively interesting idea, jammed it down our throats so fast everyone gagged and then blew all continuity out of the water, wrecked a dozen characters with bad writing and whimpered with a piff at the end.

Yes, an illusion. Use some common sense.

It was alluded to in NA that Strange's powers are weakened/unreliable/whatever because someone else may be tapping into them.
That seems odd to me. Strange doesn't even have powers to tap into. He taps into the Vishanti's powers, or Cyttorak's powers, or whatever powers he needs to invoke to cast a spell. That's why his spells are always "the (whatever) of Watoomb" or "of Cyttorak" or "of the Faltine." They're not his powers the way Loki or Dormammu or any other inherently magical being's magic is their own.

That seems odd to me. Strange doesn't even have powers to tap into. He taps into the Vishanti's powers, or Cyttorak's powers, or whatever powers he needs to invoke to cast a spell. That's why his spells are always "the (whatever) of Watoomb" or "of Cyttorak" or "of the Faltine." They're not his powers the way Loki or Dormammu or any other inherently magical being's magic is their own.

That's what I meant, I just didn't word it correctly. Bendis didn't outright explain it (since it was just an allusion) but he did subtly compare it to Iron Fist, who can't stop others from accessing the same power he does. That, I think, is the situation with Strange: someone tapping into the same power that Strange uses.

It's gotta be Sif. Black hair, red and white clothing, and Sif is a hell of a lot more important to Thor than Valkyrie, whom he hasn't really spent much time with past their childhood.

Yeah, Sif was the first one I thought of when I saw that cover promo. Not bad for a guy who barely read Thor before. :up:

If there is a better sum up of the pros of cons of WWH vs civil war I ain't read it. (though transformers wasn't as smartly written as WWH)

I enjoyed TRANSFORMERS. And thanks.

Dread said:
You really can't admit you might be wrong when it comes to bendis can you?
Seriously when a comic book literally effects your judgement it's time to drop it. It's not as if you'll enjoy secret invasion anyway.

Probably not. Bendis can write something I actually want and still find a way to screw it up in my eyes.

Oh, I've already predicted I'll hate SECRET INVASION. But I'd rather see what Bendis is forcing down the necks of the MU first hand, and when I complain about it, it won't be out of ignorance.

kevin smiths daredevil run

Quite why Marvel's editorial board would take ANYTHING that Kevin Smith has written as de-facto, irreversable canon for a half decade simply proves what suckers they are for cheerleaders. Yes, KS revived DD's relaunch. The book also tanked without him until Bendis saved it. KS also wrote a Black Cat story that took years to finish and left Bendis & Marvel hanging on DAREDEVIL: TARGET. Marvel has to really stop this habit of letting fair-weather Hollywood types just walk all over them. They have to be objective.

Now, I know I'm not objective all the time, but unlike Marvel's editors, I'm not paid to be.

That's kind of ridiculous either way. At least half a decade of wonky powers with no explanation given? Did everyone just forget Dr. Strange existed or something? Vaughan needs to write another mini and explain that junk. Or just write another mini featuring Dr. Strange doing anything, really.

Exactly. BKV proved he had the chops to really write the best Dr. Strange around.

Yeah, Sif was the first one I thought of when I saw that cover promo. Not bad for a guy who barely read Thor before. :up:
Also, it's Sif's design from the flashbacks in the first issue of this series.

Also, it's Sif's design from the flashbacks in the first issue of this series.

Also true.

THE MIGHTY THOR was one of a handful of titles my mother subcribed to that I read as a kid that built my passion for comic books, I just barely read it at the time. Which Thor fans might cry about since it was the 80's and likely the Walter Simonson run. :p

Taking a break from my jammed schedule to comment on a particular issue I read this week, simply because I knew it was gonna be a quick read.

NEW AVENGERS-W...T...F... Pay attention, kiddies, because this is how you DON'T write a story. We have all this set-up for the Hood arc, only to get sidetracked by a Dr. Doom symbiote bomb?! And, most of this sub-plot action happens OFF-PANEL because you need to buy Bendis' OTHER book, which is late, to read it. Bendis' dialogue was true to form (annoying), and Yu's art was as sketchy as ever, and through it all you just read and want to go WTF...which I did several times. Especially at that last page with the random hodge-podge of Marvel heroes, some of which would NEVER willingly work together if they had a choice. Then of course, the shower interrogation where Jessica's initial reaction to Wolverine showing up had me thinking he was doing something else. Plus, I also love how it seems Drew was showering out in the open since Widow was able to walk right in (in her underwear, is if there wasn't enough female flesh in this one sequence) and be right where Drew was bathing and being violated by Wolvie (again, that one panel). Why people are fans of this book, I cannot fathom. Why people are fans of BENDIS, I cannot fathom. Any kudos he's gained from Daredevil or Powers (which I found boring beyond belief) must surely be used up by now. Bendis can't write his way out of a paper bag, and the fact that I've read better FAN FICTION by people who will probably NEVER be allowed into the industry while he's Marvel's top writer makes me incredibly sad for the future of comics.

And, unfortunately, one must continue to read this book in order to get a grasp on the next cluster***** event Bendis will screw up that will span the entire MU, and I damn Marvel for that.

Make mine DC, damn it.

Taking a break from my jammed schedule to comment on a particular issue I read this week, simply because I knew it was gonna be a quick read.

NEW AVENGERS-W...T...F... Pay attention, kiddies, because this is how you DON'T write a story. We have all this set-up for the Hood arc, only to get sidetracked by a Dr. Doom symbiote bomb?! And, most of this sub-plot action happens OFF-PANEL because you need to buy Bendis' OTHER book, which is late, to read it. Bendis' dialogue was true to form (annoying), and Yu's art was as sketchy as ever, and through it all you just read and want to go WTF...which I did several times. Especially at that last page with the random hodge-podge of Marvel heroes, some of which would NEVER willingly work together if they had a choice. Then of course, the shower interrogation where Jessica's initial reaction to Wolverine showing up had me thinking he was doing something else. Plus, I also love how it seems Drew was showering out in the open since Widow was able to walk right in (in her underwear, is if there wasn't enough female flesh in this one sequence) and be right where Drew was bathing and being violated by Wolvie (again, that one panel). Why people are fans of this book, I cannot fathom. Why people are fans of BENDIS, I cannot fathom. Any kudos he's gained from Daredevil or Powers (which I found boring beyond belief) must surely be used up by now. Bendis can't write his way out of a paper bag, and the fact that I've read better FAN FICTION by people who will probably NEVER be allowed into the industry while he's Marvel's top writer makes me incredibly sad for the future of comics.

And, unfortunately, one must continue to read this book in order to get a grasp on the next cluster***** event Bendis will screw up that will span the entire MU, and I damn Marvel for that.

Make mine DC, damn it.

I agree with this review.

I'm almost afraid to go to a comic shop and buy my back issues, if this is all I'll be getting out of New Avengers... :o

Oh my god, just stop reading the damn book! You know good and well that as soon as Marvel starts their next "big event," a prelude comic will come out. Buy that. Stop torturing yourself.

Well, I decided to divide my buys to two drops by the comic store this month. I only brought 3 this time around, but I think 2 of them were well worth it.

WORLD WAR HULK #5: I may just be the odd man out, but I've liked WWH all the way up to this. I haven't enjoyed the fact that the Hulk just seems to bulldoze through people with minimal effort- he's a force of nature and all, but a little bit of a challenge wouldn't have been detrimental to that status. I've read that many are calling this an anti-climax...I just don't see how. It wasn't as epic as it could have been, but I give kudos to Pak and Romita on this issue. A lot of what I'm seeing seems to be people giving cursory reads through the comic. I mean, what's so bad about the battle's end? I thought it was a bit poetic that in the end this boiled down to a core conflict between the men behind these heavy hitters. In the end, I think this had less to do with the Sentry being forced to fight the Hulk so much as needing the chance to release emotion. Sure, it could have been better if the scope of the Sentry's abilities had more flair, but for what it's worth the story uses both visuals and the writing to really ask the reader who's the savior and who's the destroyer when the dust settles. Another thing is the laser; many didn't clarify on this, but it's fairly obvious that it either contained the gamma in Banner or got rid of it altogether. It's not like it literally put him down by sheer force of effort. As for why the Hulk let it happen? I imagine you could just look at what his emissions were doing to the Earth and add that to his desire to see justice, not more death. The last few panels leave a lot of room for thought- no one seems to have died (Rick/the Sentry/Miek all seem like they'll live), Banner has a red tinge to his capsule as we hit the last page, and the "swamp-monster" some have mistaken Skaar to be all leave room for more things happening with the Hulk.

Is it possible this is all because of the upcoming movie? Sure. Marvel's probably doing this to stoke fandom for the Hulk so that his reputation is as vaunted as it can get. But with that in mind, this was much better than CW (which I stopped reading midway through). I don't know about HULK, but if TIHerc works out and SKAAR is enjoyable I might just keep on following the Hulk's moves throughout the MU.

X-FACTOR #25: ...This was the book I didn't like. I see why some people around here just hate crossovers. In this case, the issue was sort of bland. It's just an issue that relies on this dutiful reading of the other installments to get, and I'm not really into Messiah CompleX as it is. It does leave a lot of room for what is to happen next, but I'd rather see more X-Factor happening than X-Men issues in the book.

THOR #4: Again, JMS is infinitely better here than anything he's done on Spider-Man. What I really enjoyed was the throwback feeling. When Thor began as a character, he had "average man" stories like this. Sure, this wasn't full of the supernatural or diving headlong into the issues CW caused, but for what it's worth it's a really gripping tale from a doctor caught in conflict with the twist of Thor added in. I like that things aren't going at a blistering pace. The last few pages made me wonder how Heimdall's aid will change things, and how long Thor can go with avoiding his brother's spectre even if he's individually resurrecting the gods. All in all, it makes up in many regard by focusing on what the gods can do when the people aren't seeking vengeance.

Nova #8

This book is perfect. Every single month it is perfect.

6/5

Thor #4

After skipping last month's issue I jump back in. Thor in Africa? A little boring, felt a little bit too much like some kind of after school special. Except with Thor kicking genocidal butt. So there's that. Good to see more Asgardians but I want to see something of a story arc to begin. All we've got is Thor flying around finding his friends. We need Loki or something to get things moving along.

3/5

I agree that THOR should be fighting some rogues, but I actually liked this month's "man on the street" story. Everyone likes mystic epics, but having him relate to the common man with current issues can make for some good stuff, and I thought JMS handled it well.

To each their own, though.

I heard some people saying it was just an illusion by Strange.

Having Stark side by side with Thor makes no sense right now.

The Wrecker is one of Thor's oldest rogues. I can see him putting aside his differences with Stark in order to take the Wrecker down, especially with his old team mates all apparently working together again...

I was confused at first but that is probably what it was. That would scare anyone. If Hood doesn't pee in his pants it isn't because he's got balls or he's hardcore, he's just stupid. And please Bendis, don't pretend that the magic of the Hood (the actual clothing) is stronger than Strange's magic. Strange should just be like "no hood you can't go invisible right now." I know Hood will sneak up on Strange and make everyone realize that it is just an illusion and then the NA will fight for three issues. But I'd like to see this work right just once.

Yeah, Bendis tried that with Electro way back in the first arc, and everyone got pissed at how easily Stark beat him.

The internet fans will complain no matter WHICH way the story goes.

Guaranteed. :yay:

You dont have to care, you dont even need to pick up the book, and so what if they are a bunch of newbies and c-listers, thats kinda the point of the Initiative as a comicbook. 50 STATE INITIATIVE, 50*7=350 heroes do you really think that they are all gonna be A-listers or b-lister, hell some of them arent even c-list, but for me that is one of if not the main reason i pick up Avengers:Initiative, c-listers, YellowJacket, War Machine, and again C-listers. My point is, atleast Marvel is using c-listers instead leaving them in comic limbo.

Thank you. :up:

Part II:

CAPTAIN MARVEL #1:
NEW AVENGERS #36: Y'know, it seems especially frustrating that my main complaints about this title, Marvel's best selling, with their #1 writer, which is the #1 ongoing title of the entire comic biz now, have been virtually the same for over 3 years now. Bendis' sense of continuity is astonishingly poor, making errors that even fair weather fans wouldn't miss. He sometimes has random adventures with threats that just seem more like gimmicks than stories; first ninja, now symbiotes. Dude, you missed the boat on symbiote popularity by about 11 years; way to be "hip". And Bendis' "realistic" dialogue is among some of the most annoying lines you will ever read; contrary to Bendis' statements, not only do real people NOT talk like he writes them, but if I found someone who did, I would immediately want them sterialized. The fact that any message board complainer can imitate and mock his dialogue style with 100% accuracy proves how robotic and annoying it has become. Finally, he writes superheroes as spazzing, immature children in adults' bodies, to the point where you wonder why the hell the villains haven't won already. And his new phrase is, "oh c'mon!", or "oh, come on!" which he feels the need to state about 24 times an issue, along with lines that just repeat the line beforehand, like everyone has a hearing aid. Like everyone has a hearing aid? Like everyone has a hearing aid, yes. See how easy it is? And how annoying!? Made harder is this issue was meant to tie into the symbiote issues of MA, which are at least 2-3 months behind thanks to Cho. Yu struggles with it, sometimes drawing manic chaos and other times sketches that the colorist saves. The story is mainly Luke Cage taking to Jessica Jones about the event, where a "symbiote bomb" explodes in NYC and anyone who doesn't have a physical super-power is mutated. Cage is safe, because of his dense skin. But Logan has issues with his healing factor. But Black Widow is somehow safe. Spider-Man, who has had the most experience with symbiotes and their weaknesses, offers ZERO to the event, leaving Iron Man to save the day. Neither the magic of Dr. Strange nor the chi of Iron Fist are worth much. Turns out the bomb was seemingly sent by Dr. Doom, which the Mighty Avengers storm off to apprehend without consulting with the Fantastic Four for back-up or experience, while Cage spazzes some with his wife, and acts all "skrully". The team also unites against the threat by The Hood and his cabal, which exploited this event, and attacks. And then, hell, you have heroes who would never unite showing up; who cares if Thor and Iron Man were enemies, or Punisher is a fugitive, or Silver Surfer on Earth soil, or Mr. Fantastic helping to fight mobsters when the Mighty Avengers need any help against Dr. Doom, or Angel in a new costume, or Howard the Duck, as drawn by a 5 year old with one finger. There also is a shower scene with Logan questioning Drew, which Yu almost makes as disgusting looking as Quietly would have. Yu also has a thing for pointy nipples on women, it seems. But mostly it was the stupidity of the symbiote invasion and Bendis' annoying, incessant and overbearing lines and speaking patterns that drove me crazy. It is more of the same. I hate this book. Any improvement or promise is undone by heaping mountains of suckitude. If Marvel wasn't springboarding events out of this book (oh, boy, SECRET INVASION is coming! More Bendis retcons! More talky bull****! More butchered characters and histories! More underachievement! Why, for F's sake, WHY!?), or if this wasn't the most promoted book in the universe, I'd have abandoned it, and instantly been a happier man for it. But when bad stuff is about to happen to the MU, I like warning shot, and NA has always provided that. A warning shot of crap to come. And why is Yu beautiful on covers and near garbage for some panels inside? Ugh! I hate this book, and I hate buying it, and I hate most anything Bendis does. The reason people give up comics? Trash like New Avengers, and selfish hacks like Bendis with a me-first attitude.

Man you are so on point .

Didn't seem to have All Star Superman in my shop, which angers:cmad:. Maybe they just forgot that it was coming this week, like I did:O.

World War Hulk #5
Well it's pretty.

And to be fair the story is okay-ish as well. Still, why does Bruce here forgive the Illuminati when he didn't before? When Strange was in his mind, he certainly wasn't interested in parleying.

And I'm not sure how I feel about Miek being The Mastermind behind all of this. It was written spectacularly, and it fit the theme and overall messages of this whole shebang. But it's kinda lame, isn't it? It's what people have been predicting from the start, almost as a joke, like "Heh I bet that's what happens!...lol nah they wouldn't ever go for that." It practically borders on Yellow Space Bug shenanigans in that it immediately absolves the Illuminati of any wrongdoing. Now, not only were they not responsible for the warp core going bonkers, they didn't even build a dang warp core that might explode like that in the first place.

Doesn't that just completely negate the first four issues of this? Doesn't that just completely invalidate four issues of the Hulk calling them monsters and calling them out for their crimes and them unable to deny it because in a way they agreed that they were monsters if their acts led to this horrible thing? Even before this issue, the Hulk was never right in this war in the first place; he was always in the wrong, he was always the villain of this piece for blaming this tragedy on people who weren't directly responsible. And now, with the revelation that he didn't even blame the right people, he's not only comes off as wrong, he comes across like a gullible dumbass as well.

Which, granted, is not completely out of the realm of the Hulk's character.

To Pak's credit, he doesn't deny this. He doesn't absolve the Hulk for what he has done. He fully illustrates this week that the Hulk's behavior has been bestial, and crude, and inexcusable. Which is...really, it's what the Hulk should be, on all levels. "I'll always hate you...almost as much as I hate myself"[/paraphrase] was the best and most meaningful line uttered on this series.

Not a whole lot else to say, really...Hulk giving man-birth to a kid is just MPREG fanfic on various levels. This event has been undeniably the most enjoyable out of all Marvel's big events of late -- which may not be saying too much -- if only on a visceral level. That has no stopped it, however, from making numerous annoying missteps throughout. It may have been your cup of tea, and rightfully so. I say that it was, ultimately, a good effort at the least.

(7.5 out of 10)
(6.7 out of 10 for the whole series)

Booster Gold #4
As brilliant as it ever was. Not quite as much with the lulzes this time around, instead dealing out some genuine plot progression and dramallama. Of course it still manages to be infinitely charming and fun, like a good comic book should, with some of the best one-liners ever. And Maximillion. And it's all wrapped around classic (but uncomplicated) DC continuity like a gentle lover.

I'm not quite as on board with "Rose" as I think I'm supposed to be. First of all she's yet another hot female investigative reporter in the churning fiery chaos of hot female investigative reporters that already encompass the DCU, second of all she's a blogger, and we all know what horrors lie down that road.

(9 out of 10)

Nova #8
An awesome issue. Far better than even I thought it would be, and I thought it was going to be great. Russian space dogs. It's got Russian space dogs that talk. And Worldmind getting *********, which was funnier than it had any right to be.

The dialogue and general writing on this series is incredibly strong. Everyone's got their own space and their own voices and it's all vividly likeable without having to resort to grammar dickery (coughcoughBendis). Cosmo's exposition, which could have sounded unforgivably like the Exposition Hell that so many comics fall prey to, is instead unbearably cute and readable. First of all because it's coming from a dog, secondly because it's a Russian dog.

Up next: Marvel Zombies...in space? Hell, weirder (and worse) things have happened.

(9.2 out of 10)

Wonder Woman #14
And then we have Nazis. Hey, if Captain Marvel's not going to be using any of his old rogues anymore, no reason why WW can't borrow some.

So as we all expected, this was pretty much miles upon legions upon fcktons better than the Blunder Woman (
lmao.gif
) we've been getting from Pfeifer and Picoult. But is it great? Is it all that we have been dreaming for? Is it the stuff of Rucka, or is it only passably Byrne? Magic eight ball says...

...Wait and see.

There is greatness here. Fighting with gorillas and how said fighting is concluded? Great. Said gorillas living at her apartment? Great. Diana's internal monologue being meaningful and coherent instead of "HOW DOES I USES SUBWAYZ:eek:??"? Great. Nazi invasion? Great, but you didn't hear it from me. Etta Candy, who is the closest thing that WW's probably ever going to get to an iconic supporting cast member? Really great.

But all the great is sorta held back by a thin venear of trepidation. Simone inherits a lot of baggage with this run, and to be frank it may be beyond her or anyone's skills to make it really, really work. When Heinberg first started the secret agent route, I thought that it was actually sort of interesting and could be worked with. I'm willing to concede that I may have been horribly wrong on that count. Every moment that Nemesis appears, I cringe in fear. Every time "Diana Prince" opens her mouth, I duck for cover. It may be my own fault for preconceived notions. It may be because of lingering trauma from the Shamazons Attack horribleness. Whatever it is, it's stopping this arc from totally being what it could be.

Or maybe it's not. Hence "wait and see."

For all of Heinberg's unprofessionalism, he was right about one thing: every single WW writer has tried to make a different character with a different tone, and as a result WW has never had any single defining tone. There's been writers whose tones and continuity have been more similar than others, but at the end of the day you've got a bunch of different Dianas doing different things for different reasons. Fans may have a run -- a Diana, so to speak -- that they prefer more than another, but no one can really say this is "the" Diana simply because it wouldn't be true.

And Simone is trying to work with it, to varying results. Her issue literally feels like two different versions of Diana from the past, two different runs at different times; it felt a bit like Rucka's Wonder Woman run during the gorilla fight, and then it felt like Heinberg's when she's doing her Diana Prince business. And the divide -- the distinction -- is harsher and more pronounced than I would have liked or thought it would be. Only time will tell if we can fully reconcile the two practically pre-Crisis and post-Crisis tones for the character. Hence, you guessed it, "wait and see."

That, and I'm still iffy at the fact that Hippolyta is alive again.

(8.3 out of 10)

Avengers: The Initiative #7
Just chiming in to say how I totally called the Scarlet Spiders being clones. Boo yah!

Slott more or less unmasking Spider-Man here is noteworthy. It's also, unfortunately, about as contrived as Matt Murdock not "officially" being Daredevil and the idiot masses of the Marvel universe buying into it, and it is also complete bullsht at least on the part of JJ Jameson because of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #23. Of course Spidey's continuity is barely coherent on its own, much less Jameson's schizophrenic characterization, so it's not as much Slott's fault as it is just more par for our course.

(7.1 out of 10)

Wonder Girl #3
Okay, when stylized art begins to bother me of all people, you know we've got a problem.

So, as per usual, good things along with the bad. Good thing? Star-earrings used like shurikens! Someone needs to remember this as one of Cassie's ↓↘→ techniques, 'cause it's all kinds of awesome.

Bad thing? Cassie acting like a moron again, falling for Herc's "lulzimConner!" trick, which she just fell for back in Teen Titans, and which she also just fell for back in Heinberg's WW run. And even if that run was a really, really, really...really long time ago, I don't think for a single moment that Torres isn't aware of it considering how very very aware he is of every single other facet of Cassie's continuity.

Good thing? Cissie and Anita again.

Bad thing? Everyone else acting like a moron. Heracles somehow thinking that Cassie would be glad to become his queen along with teaming up with the Female freaking Furies. Moron. Said Female Furies just...well, being themselves, which is moronic enough.

Good thing? The story itself is still acceptable. Countdown-related, but don't hold that against it, because it does make a certain amount of sense in Cassie's current status quo. And the cliffhanger is pretty good as well.

(6.6 out of 10)

Titans East Special
Yeah, no.

(3.2 out of 10)

Green Arrow and Black Canary #2
Mia said:
"Everyone has AIDS!
My grandma and my dog ol' blue AIDS AIDS AIDS
The pope has got it and so do you AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS
C'mon everybody we got quilting to do AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS
We gotta break down these baricades, everyone has
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!"
On that note...this wasn't too bad. Dinah comes across quite well. And the premise is fun so far. So far.

Oh, and Connor wears white briefs, okay? Not green boxer-briefs. Don't ask me how I know that, but he does.

(7.4 out of 10)

More reviews, including New Avengers, Salvation Run, Thor, X-Factor and Black Adam, after I watch Beowulf.

Spider-girl #14--

Arana is in M2 continuity now with matured body parts. Nuff said. I'd give the ish an 8/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"