Box Office Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm leaning toward total bust for Pixels. Paper Towns did better in preview numbers than Pixels. Now maybe a movie like Pixels doesn't have alot of front load to it, but only 1.5M in previews, seems really, really low.

Some types of movies just don't draw much preview business. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 made less than half a million in previews and went on to a $23.7 million opening.

From Variety:

The opening of Adam Sandler comedy “Pixels” is heading for a moderate $25 million opening weekend in the U.S., comfortably ahead of teen romance “Paper Towns,” but trailing superhero holdover “Ant-Man.”

According to projections Friday, Disney and Marvel’s “Ant-Man” could notch its second first-place finish. The tentpole appeared headed for a decline in the 54% range for a finish of about $26 million, which would give it a 10-day total of $107 million.

Sony’s “Pixels” is on track for roughly $10 million at 3,723 locations on its opening day, leaving it in line with recent projections in the mid-20s.

Hate to say it but wonder if the shooting yesterday will have an impact on overall box office this weekend. It wasn't as deadly as the one a few years back but still might give people pause on going to a movie.

A second week in a row at first place would be big news for Ant-Man, but also indication that it's got essentially no competition (and that numbers everywhere are down).

Paper Towns seems like it should be an interesting movie, but I've seen no marketing for it. If it weren't for AMC/Collider Movie Talk, I probably wouldn't even know it existed. Southpaw will probably get a respectable viewership, but I'm not sensing any buzz. Pixels deserves to do poorly, but who knows what it'll actually do.

Man, I thought about watching Pixels but I just can't. Anything with Sandler in it just kills my mood. You could definitely tell he was a writer on the film because of some of the humor in the trailer.

From Deadline Hollywood:

Late afternoon estimates show Sony’s Adam Sandler sci-fi comedy Pixels with a current Friday of $10.5M at 3,723 playdates putting it on course for a FSS of $27M-$28M. The comedian has seen bigger opening days for his summer ensembles: Grown Ups made $14.4M in its first day, while Grown Ups 2 did $16.3M, but the hope here is that his adult fans will come out tonight. If these numbers stick, it’s better than what Sony was expecting and it’s definitely a rebound from Sandler’s stateside disaster last summer, Blended ($4.3M opening day, $14.3M opening, $46.3M cume). This currently puts Pixels in first place for the weekend.

Disney Marvel’s Ant-Man is biting at Sandler’s heels with an expected second frame of $25.75M, down 55%, sending the tiny superhero over the century mark by Sunday with an estimated $107.1M domestic B.O.. Some believe that Ant-Man has a chance to topple Pixels. We’ll have a better idea if that’s possible, later tonight. Uni’s Minions are also vying for a mid $20M weekend, putting its domestic B.O. in its third sesh north of $260M.

From Deadline Hollywood:

That would be an extremely encouraging week end drop for Ant-Man going forward after a solid first week.

As for Pixels, well I guess Sony's lowballed projections have been fruitful as a sub 30M opening is now seen as a "better than expected number" when analysts were saying a couple of weeks ago that the film had a shot at a 40M+ ow. Such a waste of a pretty cool concept.

Numbers are down across the board. Early estimates have Ant Man at 7 mil.

I hope Ant-Man beats Pixels this weekend. No-one go and see Pixels here.

I'm doing my part team. Going to see Antman with the fam today.

I wish I knew how to post gifs. They wouldn't go and see Pixels if I paid them.

I wish I knew how to post gifs. They wouldn't go and see Pixels if I paid them.

with the image url pasted between those tags.

From BoxOffice.com:

ANT-MAN earned an estimated $7.234M on Friday. Domestic total is now $88.544M.

From Gitesh Pandya:

#Pixels opens #1 FRI w/ $9.2M. But wknd shd reach about $24M for tight race w/ #AntMan.

Early weekend estimates from BoxOffice.com:

1. Pixels - $25 million
2. Ant-Man - $23.5 million
3. Minions - $22.2 million

Last edited:
If Ant Man opened opposite FFINO, which would win?

If Ant Man opened opposite FFINO, which would win?

That would be an interesting matchup. Alot would depend on what FFINO's reviews were. I think in general the FF are much better known than Ant-man, so they have the edge in general audience awareness.

Marvel has the reputation over Fox, but I don't know that the general audience is aware of the all the rights issues, so some people may just see the Marvel logo and think it's all connected.

Ant-man has a huge edge in marketing, as FF was poorly marketed and the FX shots in the trailers look like dog poo.

So really it would come down to the reviews for FF, which I expect to be terrible based on the horrible acting in the trailers.

That would be an interesting matchup. Alot would depend on what FFINO's reviews were. I think in general the FF are much better known than Ant-man, so they have the edge in general audience awareness.

Marvel has the reputation over Fox, but I don't know that the general audience is aware of the all the rights issues, so some people may just see the Marvel logo and think it's all connected.

Ant-man has a huge edge in marketing, as FF was poorly marketed and the FX shots in the trailers look like dog poo.

So really it would come down to the reviews for FF, which I expect to be terrible based on the horrible acting in the trailers.

But FF has a somewhat more marketable name. People seem to be put off simply by the name "Ant-Man" but if they do end up going to see it, they would end up enjoying it quite a bit.

Whereas audiences might go to see FF because they think it's another Marvel movie and are more open to it, but then will probably go and end up disliking it. But Fox don't care. As long as you go see it anyway. That's all that counts.

But if Ant-Man had the brand awareness of FF and people understood the concept, they wouldn't be as sceptical. After all, when you think about it, Spider-Man sounds rather corny as well. It's just that it has filtered into the public consciousness much more than Ant-Man.

What does FFINO stands for ?

Fantastic Four In Name Only.

Fantastic Four In Name Only. It's what the films detractors are calling it because of all the changes to the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"