Bradley Cooper to direct Lady Gaga in "A Star is Born"

I feel bad for thinking this but when watching the trailer I was like those two are going to have some beautiful big nosed children.

That's just hateful!

But yeah, probably. :o

You know what they say about girls with big noses.

So curious about the reaction. It will either be across the board raves or across the board pans.

I think we can rule out the possibility of this movie being badly reviewed. It has too much hype going for it atm. Those who have seen the movie are really enthusiastic about it. The reception has been overwhelmingly positive so far.

Also, most folks probably saw a rough cut of A Star is Born. So the movie will get even better with a finished edit.

I think we can rule out the possibility of this movie being badly reviewed. It has too much hype going for it atm. Those who have seen the movie are really enthusiastic about it. The reception has been overwhelmingly positive so far.

Also, most folks probably saw a rough cut of A Star is Born. So the movie will get even better with a finished edit.

Um, the positive early word are friends of Cooper and the studio. That’s normal. There’s been plenty of “Oscar buzz” films that have had the same and then once released go the complete opposite way. Not saying it will, but nobody outside Cooper’s close circle has seen the finished film so we don’t know for sure yet. Test screenings should never be counted upon.

First rule of Hollywood, nobody knows anything when it comes to what will actually hit. And overhyping a film before anyone has really seen it is dangerous.

Last edited:
Um, the positive early word are friends of Cooper and the studio. That’s normal. There’s been plenty of “Oscar buzz” films that have had the same and then once released go the complete opposite way. Not saying it will, but nobody outside Cooper’s close circle has seen the finished film so we don’t know for sure yet. Test screenings should never be counted upon.

First rule of Hollywood, nobody knows anything when it comes to what will actually hit. And overhyping a film before anyone has really seen it is dangerous.

I agree with your general point. It's too early to throw caution to the wind and come to a conclusion. But a lot of other people (outside WB/BCoop associates) have seen ASIB and they really liked it.

[YT]Ao8YocLLvYE[/YT]

This is Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian (UK). He saw the movie 4 days ago and he loved it. The HYPE is legit.

This is gonna be really great, if the trailer is any indication. We should be getting another one any day now

I feel bad for thinking this but when watching the trailer I was like those two are going to have some beautiful big nosed children.

Nah, Cooper's character will be dead before they get to that point.

(Oops, spoiler - circa 1937)

Dl3FWe5U0AA-_oA.jpg

Gaga in Venice rn.

This is gonna be such an entertaining Oscar campaign

I can't wait to hear her perform the soundtrack live. :atp:

Now I'm wondering was it always a country singer thing or was that changed when Gaga replaced Beyoncé. It makes me wonder how she would sing those songs.

'A Star is Born': Film Review | Venice 2018

Bradley Cooper makes his directing debut and headlines opposite Lady Gaga in this third remake of the enduring romantic drama about the meteoric rise of one talent while another crashes and burns. There's a lot to love in Bradley Cooper's entertaining remake of A Star is Born, including his convincing portrayal of a hard-drinking country rocker in some electrifying concert scenes, and the captivating debut in a big-screen leading role of Lady Gaga as the singer-songwriter whose career he launches, only to watch it quickly eclipse his own. The first-time director's grasp of pacing could be improved and the overlong movie can't quite sustain the energy and charm of its sensational start. But this is a durable tale of romance, heady fame and crushing tragedy, retold for a new generation with heart and grit.

Venice Film Review: Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga in ‘A Star Is Born’

She takes off as he slowly crashes — that’s the soapy tragic “Star Is Born” concept. But what the movie does is to take this fabled melodramatic romantic seesaw and turn it into something indelibly heartfelt and revealing. Cooper directed the movie himself, working from a script he co-wrote with Eric Roth and Will Fetters, and to say that he does a good job would be to understate his accomplishment.

As a filmmaker, Bradley Cooper gets right onto the high wire, staging scenes that take their time and play out with a shaggy intimacy that’s shorn of the usual “beats.” The new “Star Is Born” is a total emotional knockout, but it’s also a movie that gets you to believe, at every step, in the complicated rapture of the story it’s telling.

Good God straight up raves, so happy for them!

T41ADR0.gif

Gaga serving FIRE over there rn

This year’s La La Land.

Venice: ‘A Star is Born’ Gets Warm Ovation Following World Premiere Glitch

The world premiere of “A Star Is Born” received a warm 8-minute ovation at the Venice Film Festival after the musical drama’s gala screening was marred by a roughly 15-minute interruption due to a technical glitch caused by lightening. After loud cheers and clapping following the end credits Lady Gaga smiled and looked relieved and director Bradley Cooper said “thank you for staying!” as the Warner Bros. delegation left the Palazzo del Cinema auditorium.

Other than the use of lightening instead of lightning, I'm glad to read this.

They are going to charm the hell out of the Academy members

I think we can rule out the possibility of this movie being badly reviewed. It has too much hype going for it atm.
I don't know, even La La Land had its haters. I'm not completely sold on this getting reviews on par with that.

BCoop & Lady Gaga are already pushing the 'deglam' narrative & they're also adding the 'live recording of songs instead of using playback' narrative to it. They are hungry AF. The campaigning for ASIB is already so extra and it's still only September. The rest of the awards season will be glorious.

Love that thirst <3 Especially that unlike someone like Eddie Redmayne they appear to really deserve accolades for this

Cooper to Gosling:
D2WJ7JY.gif

I don't know, even La La Land had its haters.

I was responding to another poster who was talking about the possibility of outright pans. I was just saying that the chances of ASIB being DOA (critical dud) was slim to none.

I'm not completely sold on this getting reviews on par with that.

Yeah, La La Land received better reviews right out of the gate.

Damien Chazelle's direction & the overall production design (art direction, cinematography) was also received better than it's ASIB counterpart.

I'm sure ASIB has actual emotions and Cooper and Gaga can sing unlike the two who had to be rescued by John Legend at the Oscars

LLL.....what an overhyped mess that was

I was responding to another poster who was talking about the possibility of outright pans. I was just saying that the chances of ASIB being DOA (critical dud) was slim to none.

Yeah, La La Land received better reviews right out of the gate.

Damien Chazelle's direction & the overall production design (art direction, cinematography) was also received better than it's ASIB counterpart.

They are two different movies though. One’s a movie musical inspired by the classics from back in the day and the other is a love story about two musicians (not a musical). The cinematography from the trailer was pretty great too.. much better than I was expecting. This had an easy spot of being just panned completely because of many factors: Bradley Coopers first time directing a film, Gaga never acting before in this kind of film (especially if you’ve seen her in a Machete Kills or AHS Hotel), it’s a 4th version of the film (been remade 3 times before) and many more smaller things. I’m so happy that it’s getting great reviews though and honestly can’t wait for the soundtrack either.

I'm sure ASIB has actual emotions and Cooper and Gaga can sing unlike the two who had to be rescued by John Legend at the Oscars

LLL.....what an overhyped mess that was

Honestly though, was it overhyped? 99% of the things I heard about it were people talking about how they didn’t think it deserved all its noms. I don’t think it was all that hyped, more like it was the cool thing to rip on it.

I personally enjoyed it, but didn’t think it deserved to win best picture or even best song. The technical awards it won I think we’re deserved though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"