Bruce's choice in Mask of the Phantasm

Blitzkrieg Bop

Fight Owens Fight
Reaction score
Bruce did not choose to dress up as a bat because of a childhood memory of falling down a hole and a giant bat scared him or a bat flew into his study when he needed an idea. He chose the bat motif because the bats symbolized the end of his relationship with Andrea and any plans he had for a normal life. After putting on the gloves and belt, along with the rest of the costume, Bruce motions for Alfred to give him the mask. He doesn't put it on immediately, he hesitates, as if he's thinking about something.

He's wondering if he can still walk away from this, if there's still a chance for happiness. His last thought is of Andrea and he comes to the conclusion that without her in his life, there is no chance for happiness for him ever again. So he puts on the mask, adding the final piece, turning the final cog that will set off a chain of events that will forever consume him and make him what he was destined to be, The Batman.

I'd say that Andrea is the one true love of Bruce from any era in any medium, as I've never seen anyone else have that kind of impact on him. She was the sole reason why he almost never became Batman and yet, the same reason why he became Batman. I think you can credit all of Bruce's reluctance to get romantically involved with the likes of Selina, Talia, Diana, and anyone else to Andrea leaving him.

I'd also say this is my favorite Batman origin to have seen the screen. It's like every time he puts on that costume, he remembers what could have been and how close he was to never doing it at all. I like to think that everyday for the rest of his life, Bruce reminisced about the times he had with the one woman he truly loved.

Yeah, I'd say the love story in MOTP is one of the best in Batman history. The scene where Bruce talks to his parents' graves about Andrea is just perfect.

"It's different now..."

The love story in Mask of the Phantasm is the only one that works on every level. The Batman/Bruce-Catwoman/Selina dynamic in BR and the Bruce-Rachel dynamic in TDK come close, but the BR dynamic suffers from not having more focus on it, and and the TDK one suffers from continuing the extremely weak Bruce-Rachel dynamic from BB.

And its one of the main reasons why MOTP is the best Batman movie ever.

I think BR had the best love story but that's just me.

MOTP love story was not bad, at least it was more genuine than the one in BB/TDK.

Yeah, I'd say the love story in MOTP is one of the best in Batman history. The scene where Bruce talks to his parents' graves about Andrea is just perfect.

"It's different now..."

I agree. It's really the only decent on screen love story he's had so far.

I think BR had the best love story but that's just me.

I agree, I would even call BR a love story first and foremost. And a sad and moving one. And on the side note, even tho Im usually not a fan of this kind of music, I thought the Sioux's "Face to Face" fit the mood and the sadness of the story very well

I guess I will agree that the BR romance is the best romance in a live-action Batman film. The moment when they (Bruce and Selina) realize who they are, is easily one of the most human moments in a Batman film.

But I do think the MOTP is the better written one.

Just want to pipe in and say thanks to Blitzkrieg Bop for the little analysis. I'm currently watching through BTAS in order, and MoTP is coming up soon, and its good to be reminded of why I still think it's the best Batman film.

Another neat touch is its use of flashbacks. I've seen several people and reviewers criticise the story in the past as unnecessary, or tedious, which I very much disagree with. Because not only does it have the significance and brilliance mentioned above, but it also shows how everyone involved was utterly tainted by the experience, or since. The gangsters are killed off one by one as as result, and the very smoking that gave Valestra his look has now left him with emphysema (or another sickness). Andrea has sunk to a revenge obsessed mission, her father is dead, and the Arthur Reeves is left stewing in corruption. Even the Joker was once a sane man, even if still a killer. The "World of the Future" reveals the film's themes; it told of a future bright and prosperous, but ultimately shows what the world has truly become in its rotting state. Its destruction at the end signals the destruction of Bruce's hope to be with Andrea again, but even through all the cynicism and tragedy, Bruce's crusade is still privileged as a heroic act.

I think Greg Rucka said it best when he said "It's a mission that he's doomed to fail at. Still, he doesn't stop - Batman is on a fool's errand. Well, it is a fool's errand, but that doesn't make him a fool". I'm not personally an enormous fan of this approach, I prefer to think that Batman will eventually succeed in making Gotham a far better place, but I think MoTP is the perfect example of how to execute such a concept while still showing that Bruce is a hero and is doing good, even if it won't get the results he wants. And deep down he knows that.

and the very smoking that gave Valestra his look has now left him with emphysema (or another sickness).
I like how in the final flashback, Bronski bear hugs and practically crushes Andrea with his massive figure. Years later, Andrea crushes him.

The "World of the Future" reveals the film's themes; it told of a future bright and prosperous, but ultimately shows what the world has truly become in its rotting state.
I love that The Joker destroyed the future for Bruce and Andrea in the past and then destroyed The World of The Future. Both accomplishing the same thing, the end of Bruce and Andrea's chance at happiness.

I guess I will agree that the BR romance is the best romance in a live-action Batman film. The moment when they (Bruce and Selina) realize who they are, is easily one of the most human moments in a Batman film.

I also think that in B89 Bruce was not being his real self with Vicky but in BR he feels right at home when he meets Selina, they both feel so right at home with each other to the point they find out each others secret identities.

I also think that in B89 Bruce was not being his real self with Vicky but in BR he feels right at home when he meets Selina, they both feel so right at home with each other to the point they find out each others secret identities.

Thats right, because Selina's hurting and has the same psychological problem as he does. He sees her as a fellow tarnished soul who is hurting inside like he does, someone who is also a torn apart outsider. She was his bride of Frankestein.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"