Mask of the Phantasm ending mimicked Batman Returns

theman

Civilian
Reaction score
I just saw MOTP recently for the first time in a while and i noticed this. look at this: the 3 main characters of both films end up in rundown abandoned theme parks, with explosions happening outside of them. batman is in love with the girl (who also has a black outfit and a claw of some sort) and pleads with her to let joker/shreck go and killing him isnt the way but the girl rejects him and chooses to kill her *fathers* murderer instead who she wants revenge against for wronging her. the joker is like max shreck only instead of killing her, he killed her father and thats why she wants revenge. and then batman thinks she died, tries looking for her after she disappears but cant find her, but then later finds that locket, like how bruce finds the cat in Returns, and ponders whether she may still be alive, which she is shown to be at the very end, just like in Returns when catwoman is shown to be alive.

im not saying it ripped exactly from the movie, and i know they are completely different stories, but the ending came off as very similiar to the sorrowful, operatic way Returns ended with the 3 main characters, damn near copying it and just changing around the circumstances. you also have to think that this came out just the year after Batman Returns. andrea had a vendetta against the joker in the same way selina had a vendetta against Shreck, and both joker and shreck are completely evil characters.

I actually think a live action MOTP could have made a better sequel to B89 than BR. Lol. Of course you really couldn't have Catwoman or Penguin, but storywise I think it actually would have worked better as a sequel given that the film delves further into why Bruce became Batman and the final push towards his destiny. You also have the mob stuff and even Napier.

while i love MOTP i prefer Returns over it because the thing i actually liked about it, other then being original and not copying the last film, is that the original batfilms didnt go too much into that origin stuff, but kept batman a mystery and didnt talk much about him. some people think batman should be an open book, but i never felt that way.

yes, both movies end with the batsignal! heck you could say MOTP could act as a 3rd burton movie, give or take a few things.

Last edited:
I haven't seen MOTP in a long time but I never noticed how things were similar between two films. If I had to choose I would choose MOTP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"