Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate how Ratner got rid of Nightcrawler and crowbarred Collossus in the roster. Ugh

I don't think it was as straightforward as that. Singer would no doubt also have developed Colossus in his own X3. But we don't know if/how Singer would have handled Nightcrawler in his X3; I've never heard mention of further plans for the character and he never became a full team member or seemed fully integrated with the others.

I'd like to have seen more Nightcrawler and a better Colossus though!

Singer isnt the type of director to cast an actor for a well known x-men and then get rid of him on the sequel, so Nightcrawler would have been in his X3 script, at the very least. Same with Colossus, I guess.

would be great to see Singer using Colossus again. Im sure he would give us something much much better than X3 Colossus.

I just hope Singer and Fox dont get back only the biggest names from original trilogy. We need at least one of the secondary x-men. Its time to improve at least one of those poor roles from the trilogy

Last edited:
Singer deserves some credit for First Class as well... It's not like he had no involvement and now he's coming back to stake a claim on his territory. He was a supportive producer for Vaughan and was happily serving that role again for this film before Vaughan left the project.

If Singer has a better working relationship with a different composer, then I'd rather him go with what works for him that try to stick to some arbitrary formula. There's no point in Singer directing it at all if he's just supposed to pretend to be Matthew Vaughan... and in that same veign, it's naive for you to assume that ANY change is Singer screwing with the formula. As the man who succesfully brought the X-Men to the big screen in the first place, with 2 films and in an era when succesful superhero films weren't that common, I'd say he deserves a little more faith... Especially considering how much faith your putting in a composer who, apart from First Class, has an otherwise bland record.

:applaud Strongly Agree.

A bit harsh too! We all have our passions, hopes and specific personal visions for this film, as well as some strong opinions. You were wanting a study of how McAvoy's Xavier deals with his paralysis, and that's looking less likely by the minute.
Yes, I had my hopes for the sequel, but it has nothing to do with her general sanctimoniousness, especially when telling people how they should behave and what they are supposed to like or dislike. Or shaming people publicly because of personal preferences. :whatever:

Funny you would say this, when you're probably the most self-righteous person on this board, and you're always telling people what to do, what to like and not to like, how to behave and - worst of all - making bizarre psychological analysis assuming "other" people are the ones who have problems.

I suppose I can see the what to like what not to like cuz I know I get incredibly opinionated (seriously, will never understand the John Ottman love) but the "what to do" and "how to behave" is mystifying. "Hey you! I know you're on the other side of the world but peel me a grape! And do it... CHIVALROUSLY!"

If Singer has a better working relationship with a different composer, then I'd rather him go with what works for him that try to stick to some arbitrary formula. There's no point in Singer directing it at all if he's just supposed to pretend to be Matthew Vaughan... and in that same veign, it's naive for you to assume that ANY change is Singer screwing with the formula. As the man who succesfully brought the X-Men to the big screen in the first place, with 2 films and in an era when succesful superhero films weren't that common, I'd say he deserves a little more faith... Especially considering how much faith your putting in a composer who, apart from First Class, has an otherwise bland record.

I'm not asking him to pretend to be Matthew Vaughn. He's already brought in most of his old crew and I haven't got a problem with that. But the composer is his own CHARACTER, and while his track record isn't ideal, what he brought to First Class was incredible and would be noticeably missed in its sequel.

Singer did do a great service with X1-2, for the time they came out. But in the 12 years since, the movies have not aged well (X1 is completely unwatchable) against the backdrop of current superhero films. Singer's most recent hero flick, Superman Returns, was a mess. Valkyrie wasn't great. Jack the Giant Slayer doesn't look as promising as I had hoped. Singer has always been an excellent producer. I just don't think he's a great director. So instead, I've got to hold onto something production-wise that should, in theory, be successful: the composer.

There is a chance a Singer/Jackman collab could fail. I will admit that. But I will take that risk if only to save the Magneto theme and other melodies from FC that could serve as emotional callbacks. At the very least we need something more subtle than the cartoonish themes of X2. Which again, worked at the time. But don't hold up in 2013.

Especially considering how much faith your putting in a composer who, apart from First Class, has an otherwise bland record.
Both composers can handle themselves. Jackmans, cool. Hes a newer composer but hes worked and had exp on some solid stuff before hand. His Wreck it Ralph soundtrack was pretty awesome. Personally Id rather see him, just cause I think he would have a more modern approach and bring some new stuff to the table. His electronic elements are awesome.

Either way... I think this movies gonna own. It cant hold back anymore. Doesnt matter who scores. This is a huge flick for the X Men franchise not only cause its one of the best X stories written, but so it can set itself in a good position for future films. The whole franchise pretty much rests on this flick. Alot of ways they can go about everything.

Last edited:
I'm sick of people referencing Superman as supposed evidence that Singer has forgotten how to make a superhero movie.

There's a difference between trying to make an homage to a film that's 40 years old (which he did with Superman) and him returning to a franchise he started and has been involved in throughout the whole process.

And I'm sorry, but Jackman's score is only good because he stood on the shoulders of giants... The First Class score, while great, is clearly influenced by all the composers who came before, you can hear evidence of that in the score... Yet you're being dismissive of all that previous work ON TOP of Singer himself.

Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion, but when an opinion seems as clumsy and poorly formed as that, it's no wonder people are having objections.

def28 said:
Either way... I think this movies gonna own. It cant hold back anymore. Doesnt matter who scores. This is a huge flick for the X Men franchise not only cause its one of the best X stories written, but so it can set itself in a good position for future films. The whole franchise pretty much rests on this flick. Alot of ways they can go about everything.

Always scary to make those predictions with an X-Men film...

Yeah very true haha, I just think they cant drop the ball here. Avengers had to have woke their asses up on whats in front of them. They screw up here and thats it. Full reboot.

Well Avengers is one of the reasons I get frustrated with X-Men.... The mutants is the huge thing missing from the MCU and conversely, the bigger the MCU gets, the less officially 'Marvel' the X-Film franchise will get. I was hoping after Wolverine, that rock bottom would tempt Fox to make a deal with Marvel, but now with all this new success.... It looks doubtful

Well Avengers is one of the reasons I get frustrated with X-Men.... The mutants is the huge thing missing from the MCU and conversely, the bigger the MCU gets, the less officially 'Marvel' the X-Film franchise will get. I was hoping after Wolverine, that rock bottom would tempt Fox to make a deal with Marvel, but now with all this new success.... It looks doubtful

Yeah I hear ya. Hopefully Wanda can make a clean crossover sometime since they both own her. At least to start it off. While I doubt Fox will ever sell, eventually I think the companies will make some deal, connecting anything to Marvel and Avengers is just beneficial.

Yeah exactly, I mean they can both benefit from that.

Marvel would never agree though unless that had creative control of all the threads and Fox would never agree to that.

Hopefully Feige can work something out in the future. Even if it starts off as a small connection, it woud be awesome to see some sort of effort to bridge.

I never found John Ottman's score for X2 bland.It works very well.

As for the X-Men Is unwatchable talk.I'd like to see how marvel studios and Chris Nolan would have done for only 75 million and a rushed schedule.As mark Millar himself said X-men came out three years after the Batman and Robin Fisaco.Just getting X-men Into production was big deal.The fact It was actully good and was a success was icing on the cake.Out of other comic books films apart from the other good X-men films X2 and first Class only Batman Begins,The Dark Knight,and The Avengers has topped It as far as quality and preference In my list.

People need to let Superman go.Those that didn't like Bryan Singer/s sequel to Richard Donnor/Christopher Reeve Superman are getting their reboot.As someone who considers
the original Superman best comic book film ever tied with X2 and dark Knight I don't like what I am seeing from Man of steel trailers.Nor does Zack Snyder's this Is superman like you never seen before comment fill me up with much excitement.A strong concern can be made this Superman Is a bit more too Batmanized.Of course this has been concern since 2008 when wanrer brothers announced next superman would be dark.So Snyder and Chris Nolan may not be all to blame for the batmanized Superman that Is coming off In Man of steel trailers.But,later this year everyone will be able to judge which Superman was better.Donnor/Reeve/Singer's or Syder/Nolan's

Here's the problem.If Marvel studios was still a true Idepentent company It would be easier.what some have forgotten Kevin feige started out working
for Lauren shueller Donnor.He started on Marvel films as Associate producer on first X-Men and was later hired for marvel.

But MS Is now a divison of DIsney.That changes the ball.Fox Is unwilling to do anything that will help competter.They won't just turn over X-men.Nor would they turn over Important characters from FF over to disney that they could use In future.

It's funny how deals with other studios are seen as evil yet If It wasn't for X-Men and Spider-Man there wouldn't even be a marvel studios today.

Some are more worried about possibiltys of crossovers than quality of films.

I don't think the Disney factor would deter Fox too much. After all, they would only make a deal in the first place if they saw a benefit in it for them, such as being able to tie the MCU and Avengers universe into their own... They wouldn't make any deal if the benefits to Disney/Marvel outweighed their own.

Here's the problem.If Marvel studios was still a true Idepentent company It would be easier.what some have forgotten Kevin feige started out working
for Lauren shueller Donnor.He started on Marvel films as Associate producer on first X-Men and was later hired for marvel.

But MS Is now a divison of DIsney.That changes the ball.Fox Is unwilling to do anything that will help competter.They won't just turn over X-men.Nor would they turn over Important characters from FF over to disney that they could use In future.

It's funny how deals with other studios are seen as evil yet If It wasn't for X-Men and Spider-Man there wouldn't even be a marvel studios today.

Some are more worried about possibiltys of crossovers than quality of films.
But its a hugely beneficial thing for Fox. Marvel and Avengers=billions. X Men and FF not so much right now. If Fox jumps in, they are gonna be in a better position.

Most just want the Marvel universe as a whole which honestly is what it should be. I dont see why deals cant be made in the future when the time is right. Didnt Spider-Man and The Avengers almost cross over with The Osborne tower but couldnt make it in time?

Fox Is unlikely to just turn over X-men to Disney as some advocated.Ok not In X-Men board but go to MIS Marvel films board and you will that.

Did people forget nazis were downplayed In Captain america.Heck the Avengers:EMH show wwII was rewritten as conflict against Hydra.What makes anyone think Dark elements like In DOFP would show up in Disney marvel universe.

At disney we would only get 2 marvel films a year.And X-Men would be treated as second fiddle to Avengers.Hell It might be treat as third tier compared to Avengers and
Spider-Man,which more likely Disney would be more Intrested In getting than X-men

Now DIsney would probally make X-Men as well as SPider-Man more prioritys than other characters they got back.And would be more priority than FF.But X-Men would be completly rebooted and we would get another Spider-Man reboot.

More and More it Is clear MS films are basiclly the ultimate universe crossed with some elements of 616 Universe.This would mean a disney X-Men would mostly be based on Ultimate X-men.and X-Men would have black uniforms again.Plus the lineup would probally be WOlverine,Cyclops,Storm,Colossus,one of eather Beast or Iceman and possibly Marvel Girl(If Emma Frost doesn't take her place) remember the lineup In Avengers Is basiclly the ultimates excluding Wasp and Giant Man/Ant-Man.The Amazing Spider-Man had 616 elements but a disney Spider-Man would probally be entirely
Ultimate Spider-Man.I have had concerns about Mark Millar as fox creative counsalnt due to fact his wrting has mostly been for marvel In the Ultimate Universe.

Some forgot there was marvel comics before ultimae Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men In 2000.

Singer isnt the type of director to cast an actor for a well known x-men and then get rid of him on the sequel, so Nightcrawler would have been in his X3 script, at the very least. Same with Colossus, I guess.

would be great to see Singer using Colossus again. Im sure he would give us something much much better than X3 Colossus.

I just hope Singer and Fox dont get back only the biggest names from original trilogy. We need at least one of the secondary x-men. Its time to improve at least one of those poor roles from the trilogy

I feel bad for the actor who plays Colossus. He really is nothing more than just a bit player without any lines/dialogues.

A bit off topic...is Colossus supposed to be a gay mutant? If they had him in the movie, I think it will be great to address this, it could add more layers to his character and personality. Otherwise, the character can be quite boring.

Yup 616 Colossus has a relationship with Kitty Pryde

These last 2 pages are a damn mess. Oy. LOL

When is Singer gonna confirm/dismiss the involvement of Byrne, J Jones, Till, CL Jones, Flemyng, Gonzalez, & Kravitz? I get that their all locked into contracts and that there is an extremely high possibility that they'll be in DOFP. But come on already! Why can't they just let us know for sure?

These last 2 pages are a damn mess. Oy. LOL

Are you surprised? :funny:

When is Singer gonna confirm/dismiss the involvement of Byrne, J Jones, Till, CL Jones, Flemyng, Gonzalez, & Kravitz? I get that their all locked into contracts and that there is an extremely high possibility that they'll be in DOFP. But come on already! Why can't they just let us know for sure?

I think many people are hoping both Jones and Kravitz don't return.

My bet Is will be back

X-Men:Caleb Laundry Jones,Lucas Till

Brotherhood:January Jones,Jason Flemyng

Question marks:Zoe Kravitz,Alex Gonzalez

Not returning:Rose Byrne

If Emma Is in DOFP Jones will be playing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"