Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
have just seen the tweet/pic:

A_9ylQ2CUAApxTY.jpg:large

how dope this would be if this was the very first still from Days of future past, with a new flashback of young Xavier, or a young Scott being introduced :wow:

:woot:

It says New Line on it. It's Jack the Giant Slayer.

There's still some hope left that Henry Jackman is scoring DOFP. Phew! If he's out, I'm out.

^then leave

if all you care about is a composer and not the actual film even tho we have had great x men scores before first class then you were not that excited to begin with

of course its Jack.

it was just x-men thinking, to anticipate the sequel

of course its Jack.

it was just x-men thinking, to anticipate the sequel

^then leave

if all you care about is a composer and not the actual film even tho we have had great x men scores before first class then you were not that excited to begin with

Three things:
1) We have not in fact had "great" X-Men scores before XMFC. The closest we came to a GOOD X-Men score was X3, and really that's just because 2 tracks stood out (Dark Phoenix Theme and the Main Title). Calling X1 or X2 "great" or even "good" soundtracks makes my musical heart die a little inside.

2) I stopped being "excited" about this film when it was announced they were doing DOFP. Then I switched to "less than thrilled" and when Vaughn left I switched to "very apprehensive" and then at the announcement that Wolverine would be back for more than a cameo I moved on to "desperate for some good news, ANY good news". At this point the ONLY thing that can save this movie for me is the composer. Fassbender and McAvoy will be undoubtedly brilliant again, of course, but great acting alone cannot save a movie (see: Haywire, Penelope).

3) Don't be so easily dismissive of composers. They are just as critical as directors when setting the tone of a scene, even if people don't take note. Sometimes composers can save a movie all on their own. The new Tron movie was a piece of garbage, but because the soundtrack was bloody fantastic, it made the movie worth sitting through. Assassination of Jesse James? Pretty take-it-or-leave it movie, but the soundtrack is brilliant. And can anyone imagine Amelie without its telltale accordion and xylophone tracks?

Similarly, many an interesting movie has been made unwatchable by poor musical decisions. The score is one of the main reasons I have a hard time watching X2 now. A composer, and a director, need to know what music is appropriate and when. How to create a memorable theme. When to push forward and pull back. It is NOT a good sign that I need to refer to Youtube every time someone mentions John Ottman. At best his stuff is forgettable. At worst it has the power to run this movie into the ground all on its own. To me, announcing his return would be the equivalent of Singer stepping down and handing the reins of DOFP to Brett Ratner (though I'm sure Ottman is a much, much nicer person). Yes, the music is that important. Especially when you've developed such a concrete, character-associative theme as Magneto's.

3.5) It's reeeeally not up to you to determine whether or not my reasons for sticking around are "good enough", or to assign value (or lack thereof) to things that are important to me about this movie. :) Kthx

Three things:
1) We have not in fact had "great" X-Men scores before XMFC. The closest we came to a GOOD X-Men score was X3, and really that's just because 2 tracks stood out (Dark Phoenix Theme and the Main Title). Calling X1 or X2 "great" or even "good" soundtracks makes my musical heart die a little inside.

2) I stopped being "excited" about this film when it was announced they were doing DOFP. Then I switched to "less than thrilled" and when Vaughn left I switched to "very apprehensive" and then at the announcement that Wolverine would be back for more than a cameo I moved on to "desperate for some good news, ANY good news". At this point the ONLY thing that can save this movie for me is the composer. Fassbender and McAvoy will be undoubtedly brilliant again, of course, but great acting alone cannot save a movie (see: Haywire, Penelope).

3) Don't be so easily dismissive of composers. They are just as critical as directors when setting the tone of a scene, even if people don't take note. Sometimes composers can save a movie all on their own. The new Tron movie was a piece of garbage, but because the soundtrack was bloody fantastic, it made the movie worth sitting through. Assassination of Jesse James? Pretty take-it-or-leave it movie, but the soundtrack is brilliant. And can anyone imagine Amelie without its telltale accordion and xylophone tracks?

Similarly, many an interesting movie has been made unwatchable by poor musical decisions. The score is one of the main reasons I have a hard time watching X2 now. A composer, and a director, need to know what music is appropriate and when. How to create a memorable theme. When to push forward and pull back. It is NOT a good sign that I need to refer to Youtube every time someone mentions John Ottman. At best his stuff is forgettable. At worst it has the power to run this movie into the ground all on its own. To me, announcing his return would be the equivalent of Singer stepping down and handing the reins of DOFP to Brett Ratner (though I'm sure Ottman is a much, much nicer person). Yes, the music is that important. Especially when you've developed such a concrete, character-associative theme as Magneto's.

3.5) It's reeeeally not up to you to determine whether or not my reasons for sticking around are "good enough", or to assign value (or lack thereof) to things that are important to me about this movie. :) Kthx
Kill joy. This is the most excited I've been about an X-Film.

I agree about John Ottman being mostly forgettable as a composer, but not where X2 is concerned. I think that was a very strong score and easily the strongest all round of the X-Men films. Sure XMFC had some great pieces but there are also some rather generic 'to war!' type numbers. But in X2, I felt that even the action pieces were particularly strong. The Mansion Fight number is so great you can practically play that whole, 10 minute scene out in your head, shot for shot, just from listening to the music.

X2 is still my favorite. Followed by First Class.

First Class did have a few moments that I didn't care for, but I would love it if the could somehow incorporate the Magneto theme.

Ehn...they are one and the same. :huh:

:huh: Not necessarily. There’s a difference between not actually having any information whatsoever and simply not being satisfied with the information you already have. Since November, we have been receiving regular updates about cast and crew and from the director no less. In addition to the director, we know who the producers are, who the writers are, who the costume designer is, and who the production designer is. We have a good idea of who the editors and composers are too. We know 7 main cast members are returning and that more are on the way. Because the movie is based on a specific storyline, we even know the plot and have a very good idea of what villains will be involved. We know where the movie is shooting. We know when the movie is shooting. We know of at least one city in which the movie will take place. Thanks to cast and crew interviews, we know about cast member input and what potential individual storylines may be tackled in the film. We even have information about the material of the costumes.

Honestly, what did you guys expect? New Years was less than a week ago. Christmas less than a week before that. Did you think Fox was going to issue a meaty press release at one of the absolute worst times of the year in which to do it? We have plenty of information and plenty to speculate about.

If you guys want to see a real void of information, feel free to visit the Guardians of the Galaxy boards. That movie opens two weeks after Days of Future Past, and the only thing confirmed is that it has a director who can’t handle press very well... and the terrifying notion that Chuck may headline the film.

Last edited:
Fanboys like that, who favour alarmism over enthusiasm, sincerely piss me off

If you guys want to see a real void of information, feel free to visit the Guardians of the Galaxy boards. That movie opens two weeks after Days of Future Past, and the only thing confirmed is that it has a director who can’t handle press very well... and the terrifying notion that Chuck may headline the film.
ahh.gif

Three things:

Then why hang around here. You're not exited for it and you're not interested in the movie. Why post in a thread about a project you don't like when the only thing you like about it is the composer? A composer isn't going to singlehandedly make a movie good for you, or make it rewatchable.

Fanboys like that, who favour alarmism over enthusiasm, sincerely piss me off

I don't see too much 'alarmism' in here. Just people hoping for some news. And that has to be a good thing, rather than not caring at all.

A steady flow of information is always beneficial with these big productions; otherwise, the online fans can tend to get bored and start bickering and nitpicking.

^then leave

A bit harsh! I think blueserenity simply wants some of the freshness and energy of First Class to continue into DoFP rather than Singer reverting to previous collaborations and getting stuck in the past (Superman Returns anyone?). There was similar worry on here about the returning costume designer. Comic book movies have come a long way in the past few years and need a dynamic approach rather than simply returning to what was done on X2.

I don't think Singers X-Films were stale at all and Singer wasn't to blame for the downward spiral of the series.

And as good as First Class was, it still wasn't perfect. I found the young mutants were just a distraction from the most interesting story of Xavier and Eriks friendship.

I don't think Singers X-Films were stale at all and Singer wasn't to blame for the downward spiral of the series.

And as good as First Class was, it still wasn't perfect. I found the young mutants were just a distraction from the most interesting story of Xavier and Eriks friendship.

I can see your point there. They certainly could have omitted some of them without harming the movie at all.

I wonder what Singer will do with all the First Class characters? How would he explain any omissions or absences?

I hate how Ratner got rid of Nightcrawler and crowbarred Collossus in the roster. Ugh

Then why hang around here. You're not exited for it and you're not interested in the movie. Why post in a thread about a project you don't like when the only thing you like about it is the composer? A composer isn't going to singlehandedly make a movie good for you, or make it rewatchable.

I never said I don't like the project. Just that I'm extremely, extremely apprehensive about it. I come here looking for news, and hope. Just because I'm often the only one on the board not frothing at the mouth about this movie doesn't mean I have less of a right to be here. And a composer CAN make a movie good for me, as I mentioned in my long post. And for me, Henry Jackman is now as irreplaceable in the First Class universe as Michael Fassbender.

In a way, there's a certain amount of symbolism involved in the composer decision. If Singer goes with Ottman, to me it shows a complete disregard XMFC and what made XMFC work. If he goes with Jackman it will restore a LOT of my faith in this sequel, as it will show to me that he DOES respect what came before him, and that the main focus should be on perpetuating the stories and feel of First Class, not on the things he was last director of. He needs to prove to us that this is not going to be "Wolverine and the Old X-Men, with special guest stars Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy". Shaking things up and hiring the composer he doesn't usually work with is a huge start.

A bit harsh! I think blueserenity simply wants some of the freshness and energy of First Class to continue into DoFP rather than Singer reverting to previous collaborations and getting stuck in the past (Superman Returns anyone?). There was similar worry on here about the returning costume designer. Comic book movies have come a long way in the past few years and need a dynamic approach rather than simply returning to what was done on X2.

Thanks X-Maniac. :) That is exactly right.

blueserenity said:
It's reeeeally not up to you to determine whether or not my reasons for sticking around are "good enough", or to assign value (or lack thereof) to things that are important to me about this movie.
Funny you would say this, when you're probably the most self-righteous person on this board, and you're always telling people what to do, what to like and not to like, how to behave and - worst of all - making bizarre psychological analysis assuming "other" people are the ones who have problems.

Funny you would say this, when you're probably the most self-righteous person on this board, and you're always telling people what to do, what to like and not to like, how to behave and - worst of all - making bizarre psychological analysis assuming "other" people are the ones who have problems.

A bit harsh too! We all have our passions, hopes and specific personal visions for this film, as well as some strong opinions. You were wanting a study of how McAvoy's Xavier deals with his paralysis, and that's looking less likely by the minute.

Singer deserves some credit for First Class as well... It's not like he had no involvement and now he's coming back to stake a claim on his territory. He was a supportive producer for Vaughan and was happily serving that role again for this film before Vaughan left the project.

If Singer has a better working relationship with a different composer, then I'd rather him go with what works for him that try to stick to some arbitrary formula. There's no point in Singer directing it at all if he's just supposed to pretend to be Matthew Vaughan... and in that same veign, it's naive for you to assume that ANY change is Singer screwing with the formula. As the man who succesfully brought the X-Men to the big screen in the first place, with 2 films and in an era when succesful superhero films weren't that common, I'd say he deserves a little more faith... Especially considering how much faith your putting in a composer who, apart from First Class, has an otherwise bland record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"