Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that set FC apart from previous X-Men films was its dedication to characters over powers and action sequences. It was an element that was highly praised.

Considering most of the characters in FC were chosen over other characters is because of their powers (in that they haven't been seen in the franchise before and hence "let's go with these two!") I wouldn't be so quick to paint FC as superior to the first trilogy in that respect.

With them potentially getting rid of those characters for this new film and with that exclusion not really affecting the film itself, it goes to show they were not really that good a character to begin with. Those characters were the very definition of "placeholders" for X-men and Brotherhood membership.

Besides, IIRC the element that was highly praised about FC was Magneto and his Bond feel. That and his relationship with Xavier.

The Erik and Xavior relationship being fast forwarded doesn't bother me. My thing is Mystique. She is completely different in the original trilogy than in FC.

What made her become ruthless in the OT?

The Erik and Xavior relationship being fast forwarded doesn't bother me. My thing is Mystique. She is completely different in the original trilogy than in FC.

Well, if it does take place in '73, I'm sure the Nixon administration had something to do with it :oldrazz:.

Seriously overjoyed for this movie now! feels good to be back on forum for a new film where we will probably will see the old gang again!

I'm fine with a time jump to the next decade. But using the 11 year gap as the excuse to explain away FC characters? Nope. Not gonna be okay with me. Subjecting us to that kind of exposition is cheap as hell.

Wow, the reactions here are pretty harsh. I have no problem with the decade jump... if it is indeed true.

To me, it looks like they are ditching Havok and Banshee (sorry, I'm totally fine with that). Xavier and Magneto can easily be made to look a bit older. Fassy is such a chameleon and McAvoy just needs to have thinning hair.... to the eventual total baldness (for whatever reason they come up with). Beast and Mystique are makeup jobs. As for Emma (if she's in the movie)... the character in the comics always talks about having "the best body money can buy" so she doesn't need to age too much. :cwink:

As for story, I think it can be equally compelling to see how jarring their relationships are now after ten years. The character development that many are freaking out about can be displayed by quality writing and acting. We may not SEE it all transpire, but a good storyteller can definitely make it known and understood. And also, the story can be advanced so much more this way. I'm psyched!

The thing that set FC apart from previous X-Men films was its dedication to characters over powers and action sequences. It was an element that was highly praised. And now we're going back to old habits instead? This was a good chance to move on from the old trilogy and inspire something new. So much for that pipe dream.

LOL is that why Havok, Banshee, Azazel, Riptide and Emma Frost got so much character development that we got an idea who they were as a person. No.

I'm fine with a time jump to the next decade. But using the 11 year gap as the excuse to explain away FC characters? Nope. Not gonna be okay with me. Subjecting us to that kind of exposition is cheap as hell.

The decade jump isn't not surprising at all especially I remembered, some people here were suggesting that the 2nd First Class film should be set in the 70s and the third one in the 80s.

Though I hope keep Havok, Banshee and Emma!

Last edited:
If true, a decade jump is a long time, and I'd still like to know what happened to any characters from First Class who are absent from DoFP.

Just erasing them with no explanation would be very poor, I think.

The gap between X2 and X3 was already jarring, with the Last Stand never explaining the absence of Nightcrawler, the appearance of a Dept of Mutant Affairs led by Beast, the new president and the promotion of Rogue, Iceman and Kitty to X-Men members.

If true, a decade jump is a long time, and I'd still like to know what happened to any characters from First Class who are absent from DoFP.

Just erasing them with no explanation would be very poor, I think.

The gap between X2 and X3 was already jarring, with the Last Stand never explaining the absence of Nightcrawler, the appearance of a Dept of Mutant Affairs led by Beast, the new president and the promotion of Rogue, Iceman and Kitty to X-Men members.

I agree that maybe a brief explanation would be needed for the characters in FC, but the X3 developments that you listed were all easily inferred.

It can be assumed that Nightcrawler never joined the team. The Dept of Mutant Affairs was obviously new since Storm mentioned it as a good thing that happened recently. And Rogue, Iceman, and Kitty were obviously being groomed to be full-fledged X-Men. For Rogue and Iceman, that is actually a direct continuation of their final status quo in X2!

Not everything has to be spelled out all the time.

The promotion of Rogue and Iceman didn't really need explanation. They were at Washington D.C. wearing the X-Men uniforms. We were already expecting that after X2 they would join in the battle as X-Men and before they joined the big battle, they were still practicing at Danger Room and only got to join the battle during the climax part of the movie. Colossus' participation isn't surprising too because fans wanted to see him fight with the X-Men. The only one that is questionable is Shadowcat.

I'm sure it will be involved in the time jump if we get ruthless Mystique. I wouldn't mind seeing her all assassin-ed up

I agree that maybe a brief explanation would be needed for the characters in FC, but the X3 developments that you listed were all easily inferred.

It can be assumed that Nightcrawler never joined the team. The Dept of Mutant Affairs was obviously new since Storm mentioned it as a good thing that happened recently. And Rogue, Iceman, and Kitty were obviously being groomed to be full-fledged X-Men. For Rogue and Iceman, that is actually a direct continuation of their final status quo in X2!

Not everything has to be spelled out all the time.

I just don't think it's good storytelling to expect audiences to make assumptions or fill in the gaps or come up with possible explanations. These things can easily be woven into dialogue.

I'm sure it will be involved in the time jump if we get ruthless Mystique. I wouldn't mind seeing her all assassin-ed up

Yes, and I'm sure Bryan Singer has plans for Mystique, its not like he didn't work with Mystique before that he suddenly changed her into a different person in First Class. He isn't going to make the young Mystique so sweet and different to the Mystique that we saw from X1 to X3 without a reason.

Welcome Dazzler!!

dazzler00.jpg

Dazzler would be fitting to the First Class team since she's a B-list character like Havok and Banshee and I never imagined her being in the movies with Wolverine, Storm. But with First Class, I can see her working with Havok and Banshee. Plus the 70s era is so her. But I don't think she has a place on this movie especially Days of Future Past.

I read this before from one of the crew of First Class, that Dazzler was supposed to be the partner of Banshee when it comes to action scenes, they were gonna mix their powers but unfortunately Dazzler didn't make the cut. I think it would have been better if they introduced her during the bar scene of First Class instead of Angel Salvadore.

Initially, she kind of was.

Dazzler would be fitting to the First Class team since she's a B-list character like Havok and Banshee and I never imagined her being in the movies with Wolverine, Storm. But with First Class, I can see her working with Havok and Banshee. Plus the 70s era is so her. But I don't think she has a place on this movie especially Days of Future Past.

I read this before from one of the crew of First Class, that Dazzler was supposed to be the partner of Banshee when it comes to action scenes, they were gonna mix their powers but unfortunately Dazzler didn't make the cut. I think it would have been better if they introduced her during the bar scene of First Class instead of Angel Salvadore.

So is the First Class team going to consist of just Xavier and Beast? That doesn't seem right.

If they bring back Banshee, then they could add Dazzler so we get those combined powers, with Dazzler transducing his screams into lasers.

You're right that she would have been a better choice than Angel Salvadore.

I noticed Vaughn seemed obsessed with every woman in First Class either being naked or in sexy lingerie! While it was nice to see a sexy vibe - and it never went over the top - it was obvious to me. Moira stripped down to her lingerie to infiltrate the Hellfire Club, Emma Frost seduced the Russian in her lingerie, Rebecca Romijn was naked in bed, Angel Salvadore stripped when she revealed her wings, and Jennifer's Mystique was sometimes naked too. If we'd have had Storm in the movie, Vaughn would definitely have put her in that comic costume of bra and booty shorts with the thigh-high boots. :yay:

Dazzler would fit into the 70s era if they're doing that. And what's more, she can have her Disco Dazzler outfit (hopefully with roller skates) and not the blue outfit she later wore. She could be performing a number in the background in a bar that some mutants visit. Would be great if they had a rollerskating chase sequence, but probably unlikely. I'd settle for her just making a musical appearance as a background performer.

how about Eddie Redmayne(31) & Charlie Hunnam(32) for older Banshee & Havok:oldrazz:
eddieredmayneukpremiere.jpg
sons-of-anarchy-jacks.jpg

they look the parts.

still preffer continuity having Lucas and Caleb back. tho. They deserve at least one last chance to shine.

Bryan Is probally going to recast Havok,Banshee,and Emma.

with the talk of cleaning up things he's not going to make It worse by have more characters as X-Men before Cyclops,Storm,and Jean.

ALso with Xavier,Beast,Banshee,and Havok on one side and Magneto,Mystique,Azarel,and emma on other side they have equal number especilly If Xavier changing minds Is the time travel.

Having said that there will probally be a few non X-Men young mutants at school.Mystique In Jennifer lawrence's true face may Inflirate the government under Raven darkholme Idenity,and It may be In dark hair to tie In to last Stand.Plus that seems to be due to hungar games her primary hair color now.

Speaking of OT.The set pic tweeted seems to have In distant pic of Jean as phoenix from Last Stand on TV.So maybe Bryan has figured out a way for Famke janssen to return.

Another reason for switch to 1973 Is if you say sentinles came to being by assassinating Nixon and then because of time travel that Is avoided you don't have people as upset as they would be by using JFK assassination.Also It looks like Bryan wants to take Characters like Xavier,Mystique,and Magneto and move closer to trilogy versions.

Eddie Redmayne was up for Banshee in the first film! :p

Speaking of OT.The set pic tweeted seems to have In distant pic of Jean as phoenix from Last Stand on TV.So maybe Bryan has figured out a way for Famke janssen to return.

i assumed it might just be the location they had it on screen for

aka the woods

Sooo much speculation on the boards these days. It's starting to feel like the good ol' days leading up to X-Men: The Last Stand. Don't let yourselves get too carried away though, otherwise you're in for major disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"