Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Ian McKellan`s speech to the other mutants in the cathedral.
That alone surpasses anything in x1 or x2.

I feel X3 doens`t get the credit it deserves.

Yeah, there's plenty of great dialogue in there that gets ignored due to the hate for Phoenix. Too bad.

I think the hate for X3 has more to do with its deviation from the source material than the quality of the film itself. I went back and rewatched it after Singer was announced for Days of Future Past and found it to be very entertaining, suspenseful and epic in the right moments. For 2006, the CG work looks terrific on bluray and I enjoyed the film as much as I did The Avengers.

I think if you can look past the changes made to the Phoenix, you get a pretty great summer blockbuster out of X3. I'd still prefer a longer film with all the footage excised restored in an extended cut some day.

I can't say I have any complaints with the acting as Stewart and McKellen were selling every line they spoke IMO. I could do without Dania Ramirez altogether though.

She was ok in X3 at the time, but since being on Heroes, she has become unwatchable, even in X3.

I think all of those characters are pretty unwatchable in The Last Stand. They're the reason I don't like that church scene, with their absurd posturing and sudden talk of mutant class levels. Blah.

Yeah mutant class levels was very "wtf" to me. These people are all suddenly experts on mutation...?

I can't say I have any complaints with the acting as Stewart and McKellen were selling every line they spoke IMO. I could do without Dania Ramirez altogether though.

Dania Ramirez only got the part because she had a contract with Fox after appearing in Fat Albert and they decided to fulfil it with X-Men. I hate that type of casting.

I think all of those characters are pretty unwatchable in The Last Stand. They're the reason I don't like that church scene, with their absurd posturing and sudden talk of mutant class levels. Blah.

I could do without the mutant class concept but I understand why it was implemented - to cement how much more powerful Jean was than both Xavier & Erik.

Ratner wanted Magneto to be a pseudo-Che Guevara character in X3 & I think it worked. The scene where he's on TV "Your cities will not be safe..." was a great scene that conveys just how capable a terrorist Magneto could be all along given the right tools (The Cure).

Yeah I thought Ian McKellan gave it his all. Everyone did really, I mean...even James Marsden for his small part. I felt his grief. Halle..gave it her..all...too. It's just that all she had wasn't up to par with everyone else.

I felt for Cyclops`character more in the 5 minutes he had in X3 than all his time together in x1/x2.

Good. You should have. That's what the Dark Phoenix Saga does for Cyclops and Jean. Too bad they ruined the rest of it.

Scott: How?
Jean: I don't know.

Poof.

I thought he was pretty good in X1, his role that is. He was leader to the end. He and Logan even had their relationship evolve through out the movie.

He is good in X-Men, and the dynamic between Scott, Jean, and Wolverine was something I was looking forward to see them further develop, or bring to a head, in X-Men 3... but no.

I felt for Cyclops`character more in the 5 minutes he had in X3 than all his time together in x1/x2.
Yeah, problem is, did you continue to feel for him for the rest of the movie when he wasn't there?

Great Mind(s) said:
I thought he was pretty good in X1, his role that is. He was leader to the end. He and Logan even had their relationship evolve through out the movie.
Agreed. I think he was best characterized in that movie. I really like his scene with Xavier when Xavier's unconscious. You can feel the history of their relationship through just a few moments, even through Marsden's sunglasses.

Good. You should have. That's what the Dark Phoenix Saga does for Cyclops and Jean. Too bad they ruined the rest of it.

Scott: How?
Jean: I don't know.

Poof.

I remember being in the theater and watching that scene. "She killed him?!?" Despite the major deviation from the books, I enjoyed what it did for the rest of the film. I mean, after Scott's death everyone goes into panic mode & stays in panic mode throughout the final hour.

I remember being in the theater and watching that scene. "She killed him?!?" Despite the major deviation from the books, I enjoyed what it did for the rest of the film. I mean, after Scott's death everyone goes into panic mode & stays in panic mode throughout the final hour.
I was in anger mode throughout the final hour.

Or Ian McKellan`s speech to the other mutants in the cathedral.
That alone surpasses anything in x1 or x2.

I feel X3 doens`t get the credit it deserves.

+1 million. I love all the X-Men films. And I honestly think X3 gets much deserved hate and much undeserved hate.

I seem to remember when X3 came out in 2006, people were mostly saying stuff like this:

"Not as good as the first two, but still a good movie."

"Not a perfect sequel, but not the disaster people were expecting."

"Overall, a nice entry in the X-Men franchise."

And I still maintain X3 is leagues beyond Spider-Man 3. I honestly think Spider-Man 3 gets more love and more of a free pass simply because it's Spidey.

It sounded like a typical Hollywood filling in the blanks for people who never saw X1-2 to understand Magneto. It was another waste of time. But...he did a good job, and Pyro is cool.

Agreed. I watched all 5 movies again (in one day!) last week, and I realized that my biggest problem with X3 was that it managed to turn every character from the first two movies into an insufferable ***hole. And the new characters didn't add much, it was like they just spouting generic lines about intolerance.

Yeah, they lacked all characterization. What happened??? IMO it worked for Magneto because he's...an insufferable a-hole in the first place...but everyone else just became a cold lifeless cutout.

Yeah, they lacked all characterization. What happened??? IMO it worked for Magneto because he's...an insufferable a-hole in the first place...but everyone else just became a cold lifeless cutout.

Jean's part was good for me in that it really painted a picture of how broken she'd become & why her rage was directed at Scott & Charles. The scene in the lab with Logan & at the house with Xavier were both very compelling. Famke did a great job playing that woman torn & Jackman did a great job playing the guy torn by her distress. I must be in the minority because my only complaints about the film really come from the short running time.

Yeah those were good scenes. I agree the running time is an issue and it relates to character development. What actually happens on screen would be forgivable if there were more scenes developing characters...maybe

What did I start on here!? lol

There were some great moments in the movie, for sure, but there is also some conspicuously poor writing.

'What have I done?' is among the cheesiest lines, as McKellen - with his hair all over the place - scrambles over the rubble to get away from Phoenix's meltdown.

And the dialogue about mutant power levels seemed a bit random, even if it did illustrate Callisto's powers. It's just that it hadn't been mentioned in the previous movies, so just seemed a bit suddenly introduced.

The scene I hate most is when Xavier feels the full emergence of the Phoenix persona and orders Storm and Wolverine to get to Alkali Lake. That sort of psychic-burglar-alarm-phoenixy-bird-scream thing goes through the school, and Storm and Logan meet by the stairs (in a very staged manner) as they run to Xavier, with Logan saying 'No clue' when asked by Storm what's happening. It just all feels wrong. Even Xavier's unexplained order to get to Alkali Lake is just odd. It needed something different.

I didn't mind Dania as Callisto, though. She really seemed like a tough opponent, even if she didn't have the trademark eyepatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"