Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

Yeah the "whats wrong" "no clue" was soooo... power rangers-y. Just felt like...not the same universe as X1-2. These characters seem written by and for children. Reminds me of Prometheus. Back on topic... Singer will be amazing.

2. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

There is an understandable worry from some people, given that Kinberg also worked on TLS. But I have faith that Singer will filter out any X3-isms that get into the screenplay.

3. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

I hope some of the Singer traditions will be back like:

Xavier opening narration, and Cerebro door opening

Any others people would like to see return?

4. GREEN =w= DAY

GREEN =w= DAY Well-Known Member

i definitely would

5. NanaT

NanaT X-Men United!

One thing about X3 that wasn't good was how the X-Men just rush into battle. In Singer's films the X-Men always plan everything. (X1: war room, X2: X-Jet, alkali lake control room) they think about what they're going to do and who does what. In X3 they all rush into uniforms, not bothering to make a plan of action.

I don't think time counts as an excuse. I mean yes they were in a rush to stop Magneto but in X1 they were in a rush to save Rogue and X2 they needed to stop Stryker, both times they discussed their plans before acting. In X3 they rush off into their X-Suits and meet up at the X-Jet without a single plan of action (how exactly do you send young X-Men like kitty, and bobby into a warzone without a plan.) but yet they find time to make an inspiring speech.

It was such a wasted opportunity, as it could have provided time to develop Storm as a leader. We could have seen her coming up with a plan and giving orders to the other X-Men and building up the team's morale.

6. Marv

Marv Well-Known Member

The scene that follows that line by Magneto I must say is one of my favorites out of all the films, where they do that 360 shot of Logan observing Jean at her absolute worst - literally leveling the island. I love how his face goes from worried to scared. Good stuff.

7. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

because the movie needed a speech by Wolverine, the only important character of the franchise.

who cares about Kitty, Bobby, Colossus, Beast and Storm, when we have Hugh God Jackman?

8. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

There's a better alternate scene where Wolverine is like, screw these kids they're not coming and Iceman gives him a speech instead. I have a better X3 edited...

9. Marv

Marv Well-Known Member

If you're referring to the scene before they board the jet, it was originally much longer & had a great speech by Hank reciting Shakespeare. You can see it on the bluray. It also works much better for Logan since he's hesitant about Bobby, Kitty & Colossus going on the mission.

10. Marv

Marv Well-Known Member

Exactly. Wonder why they chose the other version other than to save time. Same thing with Logan in the woods. It was a longer scene where Logan is the aggressor - apparently taking out his rage over Xavier's death on Magneto's camp. Also on the bluray btw.

11. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

Really? Is there a link to this clip on youtube?

12. NanaT

NanaT X-Men United!

I'd love to see it!!!!!

13. Marv

Marv Well-Known Member

Not sure, but its on the 2-disc bluray.

14. Manic X

Manic X Well-Known Member

It's funny. The alternate speech was in the trailer, but not in the movie. What a shame.

15. lordofthenerds

lordofthenerds Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

[YT]T8l6_Oa8_-Q[/YT]
    It's at the 4:56 mark.

16. Mako

Mako Galactic Crusier

:lmao:@ 20:57 "Cheap!"

17. Super Film

Super Film Well-Known Member

One of the biggest issues for me in regards to X3 and the director's tastes, was that the film itself felt like a series of vignettes instead of an overall narrative.

It felt as if the filmmakers were meeting a bunch of quotas within the film and checked them off as the story continued. "We need our initial dramatic death scene", "We need our funeral scene", "We need our 'Hugh and Halle exchange in some sexual tension' scene", "We need our scene acknowledging Wolverine and Rogue's relationship", etc.

There was no lingering scene, no time for characters to interact beyond dialogue. We jumped from shot to shot, location to location. This didn't make the film feel lean and efficient--instead it felt gamey and insincere, artificial.

I wouldn't have a problem with the majority of what happened narratively, if the film itself met a standard that it's predecessors (X1 & X2) and successor (XMFC) met--handling main story arcs with purpose and care instead of stampeding through each scene making check marks along the way.

18. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

that scene was horrible lololol

thank god it got deleted

19. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Watching people bash X3 is like watching 12 year olds act pretentious.

It has legitimate flaws. Why people insist on making up flaws about an otherwise fairly solid movie...

(Shakes head)

When "What have I done?" is "one of the cheesiest lines" in a film...that film is not exactly suffering dialoguewise. It's a simple, straightforward line.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  20. The Guard

Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan’s acting in X3 is every bit as good as it was in X-MEN and X2. If anything, it may well be better, because they are asked to do more, and to play a larger range of emotions, including some very intense ones.

What stupid stuff? The stupidest thing Magneto says in the movie is probably the stuff about “The pawns go first”, which is actually not a bad line, and makes perfect sense in context.

How on Earth are these “horrible” lines? They’re simple, straightforward lines about a given moment.

Xavier talked about being psychic several times during the franchise. He’s using a bit of levity in a moment of normal interaction to make Storm open up to him. He’s saying “I could read your mind, but I can tell you’re upset, let’s talk about it”.

Pretty much anything they said was on par with anything seen in X-MEN or X2. People seem to forget that much of Xavier and Magneto’s dialogue in X-MEN and X2 was exposition. Ably played by Stewart and McKellan, but exposition nonetheless. There’s an evolution of their characters throughout the franchise, and X3 is the pinnacle of those character arcs. The dialogue reflects this.

Bingo. And it always has. People seem to be on this kick the last few years where they must pretend the whole thing sucked to justify disliking it.

Other than the fact that his delivery of it is a tad clipped/rushed (which, again, makes sense in the context of the scene) and this is a little on the nose (which, again, makes sense in the context of the scene) why is this inherently a bad moment?

That’s one line…what are the myriad other “conspicuously poor” lines?

Yes. It IS suddenly introduced. Just like EVERY NEW CONCEPT in the franchise, the first time it shows up, is “suddenly introduced”. It’s called “introducing a new concept”. Writers do it constantly in storytelling.

So you hate the fact that the scenes between Cyclops and Jean are clearly building tension, culminating in an intense sense of urgency?

What is there to explain about “Get to Alkali Lake”? It’s meant to be an urgent order that retains a sense of mystery about what had happened, which it does.

So you have issues with the normal writing tools used in the film…but not one of the weakest actors in the film? Makes sense...

I’m sorry…POWER RANGER-y?

“What’s wrong” means “What’s wrong?”

“No clue” means “I don’t know”.

People talk like that in real life, yes…even adults. What exactly is the problem with this exchange?

Some of these complaints are just absurd, and really not very objective. There's an obvious bias against this movie, and it's not really based in anything sensible anymore.

21. Super Film

For what a lot of people found and enjoyed in Singer's films, X3 was seriously lacking. And voicing these or any frustrations is far from being pretentious.

22. The Guard

That's a little vague...can you elaborate?

Voicing frustrations is not...there's nothing wrong with that. I had many with X3. But acting like an entire scene or a whole movie's dialogue is "horribly written" when objectively, it's easily on the level of the previous movies in several respects...that's a bit much.

23. Super Film

What is one person's perception and personal tastes to you? What matter is it that some people find lines of dialogue or delivery to be detrimental to a scene or film? It's the same as someone finding it endearing or appropriate.

It gets a little out of hand when someone is fighting to justify or contextualize every single issue someone has with this film.

24. Manic X

Manic X Well-Known Member

Love this post. The main reason fanboys want to hate x3 is because cyclops dies, prof x dies, and rogue takes the cure. But really, the movie is solid. I put it above x1 and x2. It's more watchable.

25. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Oh come on. I enjoyed X3 and, at the time, found it exciting and dramatic but it did have some very weak moments. Why do you think they went to the trouble of getting Bryan Singer back on board the franchise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.