Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say it's stupid, but it will make a huge mess continuity wise.

the whole time travel deal can be pretty awesome as it can change up the teams. imagine having Havok and Banshee stay in present time fighting alongside Wolverine, Iceman, Rogue, etc. rather than going back to the past. opens up so many opportunities.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Using Star Trek '09 as a template for the residual effects from DOFP, it's clear that major things have changed in the Trek universe - Kirk's father and Spock's mother being dead, the destruction of Vulcan - and events took a different course, but in the end Kirk still joined Starfleet, met Spock and Bones, et al, and everyone ended up on the Enterprise as in the original timeline. Who's to say the events of X1 and that group of mutants wouldn't also come together in DOFP's new timeline? Sure events could change and X3 can be written out/reworked but there's no reason the original group couldn't still exist for more films.
I'm sure we'll get a FC3 set in the '80s, but how many films did McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence sign on for? I thought it was 3, so you may not get any more films with them after FC3. And if they want anymore films with the original cast they'd better hurry 'cos no one is getting younger! Lol I see no reason why future sequels with both casts can't work as long as the continuity issues between the films are handled, nd that's what Singer and Millar and Schuler Donner have to strive towards.
As an aside, is it possible that Bobby/Iceman might be one of the time travelers and somehow get stuck in the past with FC X-Men, thereby paving the way to joining a young Scott, Jean and Warren in the '80s and giving fans the original lineup? Probably not, but just a thought.:)

the Bobby idea is a good one.

Having young Beast and Bobby on the 70's, and joined by young Scott and Jean on the third part would be really cool.

highly doubt Fox and Singer do that, but it would be cool

If the FC/DOFP 70s era is already an alternate timeline and the Cerebro easter eggs with "Cyclops" and Storm were more than just easter eggs, then Cyclops, Storm, and perhaps Jean for that matter could show up in the 1973.

I think thats a strong scenario. could be one of the reasons to jump 11 years, even if they arent supposed to be teenagers yet.

How could an alternate time line effect their birth dates :huh: ?

No matter what happens, the sequel to Days of Future Past will be the closest we'll ever get to a true Claremont/Jim Lee adaptation with Cyclops, Storm, Beast & Jean all in their prime comprising the team. It'll be pretty close to the Animated Series, specially if its set in the 80s.

How could an alternate time line effect their birth dates :huh: ?

It wouldn't. The pre-1973 events remain unchanged. Cyclops should be about 10 in 1973. That First Class cameo made no sense & it will most probably be ignored.

I wouldnt be surprised if Bryan/Fox include him :D we know how Fox uses to work
but time will tell, tho

It wouldn't. The pre-1973 events remain unchanged. Cyclops should be about 10 in 1973. That First Class cameo made no sense & it will most probably be ignored.

He would definitely be a newborn in 1973.

Since its time travel and ALt realties if they wanted to change their birthdates they could just add in something before the 70s. Doubt that will happen but its not impossible if they wanted it to happen.

My thoughts exactly. I don't see how an event that appeared to happen after their births would change the day of their births.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I don't see how an event that appeared to happen after their births would change the day of their births.

Yeah, events altered after 1973 cannot change anything prior to that date.

Back to The Future 2 (the chalk board scene) explains it best.

When all is said and done the events of the original trilogy will only exist in an alternate reality allowing for vast creative freedom with the current franchise. I mean, in a follow up to Days of Future Past, Wolverine can join the X-Men now.

The event of 1973 gave birth to the events of the original trilogy, the Wolverine films & the present of Days of Future Past. The time traveler's actions as he or she goes back to 1973 will forever change the events of the original trilogy and the Wolverine films.

Days of Future Past at the end of the day is still First Class 2. The next X-Men film will most probably continue the story of the 1973 ensemble.

You're missing the point. In the original trilogy North America was not on the verge of a Sentinel take over. There was no reference ever that some horrible event had happened 30 years earlier that made life much harder for mutants. In fact the first X-Men made it seem that the existence of mutants had only recently been revealed to the public. In First Class the government wasn't even aware of the existence of mutants.

I find it really hard to believe that 10 years later an "event" happens that mutants are blamed for and then the reprisal incubates for 30-40 years.

So I still think that it's more likely some one out of time changes the past. Unless the cause of the bad future was the events of X3 and then someone goes back in time to stop Jean Grey from being born or stop Worthington Labs from being created...

Or stop the sentinels from being created or something. Who knows? They can do whatever they want, depending on the rules they make.

It doesn't make sense to make a direct sequel to X3 now. Specially when the events of Days of Future Past will change the events that transpired in the original trilogy. This movie represents the closest we'll get to an "X4" in that it reunites the cast of X3 in a supporting nature.

It's not even a question of "why?" would the studio want to make a sequel to X3 but rather "How?" could they do it now that the timeline where X3 existed has been altered by the events of Days of Future Past.

Are you even sure they are gonna alter the events of Last Stand? The event that the present X-Men wants to alter might have happened post X3, the time where the Sentinels started to pop-up. So if they managed to alter the future, it would be just post X3 and Jean Grey/Cyclops would still be dead and they could continue post X-3 with X4 after DOFP is released.

The franchise that starred Jackman, McKellen & Stewart is done. The only reason we get to see that expired ensemble once more is that its pivotal to the story Days of Future Past is trying to tell.

The studio isn't killing their new franchise by letting go of the old one. They're using the old one in this film to sell the new one. First Class didn't do well at the box office. Days of Future Past probably will and the third film down the line probably will too.

FOX considers the box-office power of the cast of the original trilogy. The reason why they brought back the original cast is to gain money. They saw how big the Avengers was and now they mixing the cast of the original cast and First Class. I see the logic of FOX trying to sell the First Class cast by teaming them up with the cast of the OT. If this movie ends very well at the box-office because of the returning cast of the original trilogy, FOX might just want to move with the original cast and stop making movies with the cast of First Class. Plus with movies set in the past, they would keep re-introducing characters. But with the present timeline, with the cast of original trilogy, they could do so much more.

It would be awesome. Marvel Studios has the rights to TV shows for the X-Men, I think. I don't think Fox has the TV rights.

Yup thats why we got Wolverine and the X-Men.

But I don't see Marvel doing a live-action X-Men series even if they have the TV rights. It would be quite expensive and I don't think they would create one while FOX is still making X-Men movies.

Last edited:
Plus with movies set in the past, they would keep re-introducing characters. But with the present timeline, with the cast of original trilogy, they could do so much more.

totally agree.

of course a FC series would be really cool, and they could make justice to young Scott, Jean, Storm and co. ...

but the potential of the original cast and their characters is HUGE.

X-men fans are still waiting for X-men sequels that give them what the 90's tv show gave them.

And Fox and Singer could really do that with the original cast, now that the younger actors have the perfect age to portray their characters.

Even Alan Cumming wants to come back, its like.... come on! we could get the WHOLE cast again, doesnt everyone see the potential there?

if DOFP creates a new timeline, we could have Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Iceman, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Angel, the return of Gambit... all together finally!!

and with the special effects of today's industry, we would have something really really E P I C!

they could use the sentinels again, Sinister, Apocalypse.... plenty of epic stuff. Something they couldnt do back on year 2000.

Fox HAS to do it. They would get their biggest x-men movie ever, even more than DOFP.

to deny its potential would be to be blind.

Last edited:
Are you even sure they are gonna alter the events of Last Stand? The event that the present X-Men wants to alter might have happened post X3, the time where the Sentinels started to pop-up. So if they managed to alter the future, it would be just post X3 and Jean Grey/Cyclops would still be dead and they could continue post X-3 with X4 after DOFP is released.

The event that they're trying to prevent takes place in 1973. By going back and preventing said event the timeline changes, eliminating all the events of the original trilogy. Those events now only exist in an alternate reality.

even if that ends being the case, that doesnt mean Fox cant use the original actors for a sequel set in present time in a new timeline.

Some characters could be out, but most of them could be in. Its up to Fox and Singer.

If the want the whole cast back, they would get it.

The event that they're trying to prevent takes place in 1973. By going back and preventing said event the timeline changes, eliminating all the events of the original trilogy. Those events now only exist in an alternate reality.

Bryan Singer isn't gonna eliminate all the events of the original trilogy while he already said he's not ignoring any films and that will still be the same case after DOFP ends. Plus the original trilogy and The Wolverine would just look really pointless if they are gonna wipe them out just because of 1 film.

Bryan Singer isn't gonna eliminate all the events of the original trilogy while he already said he's not ignoring any films and that will still be the same case after DOFP ends. Plus the original trilogy and The Wolverine would just look really pointless if they are gonna wipe them out just because of 1 film.

Its a big possibly that they will do that. They need some sort of start with the new or old.

Its a big possibly that they will do that. They need some sort of start with the new or old.

Its a big possibility that they won't. Bryan Singer said he is not ignoring any films, why do DOFP just to wipe out other films at the end of the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"