Budget

ImWithTeamConan

Avenger of Comedy
Reaction score
I've been out of comics since Grant Morrison left New X-Men, I've been keeping up with them thru the internet and the occasional TPB or HC here or there.

And I've decided to come back to "floppies" for Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers (really dug the preview, loved the first issue, I'm all in) which has got me to start opening up the budget a little bit to a couple other series (gonna try out Superior Spiderman, maybe Uncanny X-Men).

But I was curious, how does everybody budget for comics? I'm looking at March's solicits and it's gonna be one of those months where I'm gonna be a little overbudget (cause of Age Of Ultron).

I don't really go by a budget. I just have the titles I know I'm getting that Wednesday and make sure I have enough loot. I just check TMOB's Diamond list a day or 2 before. But I only buy 5 titles a month, so I usually only spend 8 to 12 bucks at most a week. Hmmmm...I guess guys with a bigger pull list would be more helpful. Well anyway, that's how I do it.

:awesome:

That's pretty much how I am too. I buy 5 ongoings and the occasional mini, so I don't have to budget tightly for my issues. I take cost into consideration, though. If a book increases in price or ships more than once a month, I'm more inclined to drop it if I don't really love it (for example, I might have stayed on the Captain America team-up book longer if it didn't double-ship so much).

My wife gives me $100 limit a month. I feel guilty spending that much on comics because we've been a little tight for a while and are trying to get out of debt so I try to keep it closer to $80 a month, preferably less.

I wish I could count titles and make that how I determine but Marvel threw that aside when they began their random double-shippings, so now I can't just pick titles and go with it. I could make no changes to my buying and go from $85 in one month to $110 the next. Therefore, when double-shipping gets high, I start dropping books in preparation. With March jumping me from $90 to $115, I'm going to now pre-emptively start cutting things to get back down toward $80 or less again.

It's not fun.

Edit. Weird half hour later double posting action.

Last edited:
Back when I used to buy floppies I would carry a list with me and would know what titles I wanted thanks also to Previews which would list prices on stuff too that way I know to have enough money.

I keep it to about $25 a month, wish is six monthlies, and maybe one mini on top of that, (I mean who needs to eat right?)

I'm a bit of a completist so that's what prompted me to ask you all the question, because I'm all in on Avengers/New Avengers, but so-so on everything else I'm interested in and was curious how people navigate that.

I'm going to have to make a budget soon too. I recently got back into comics as well and it feels like I went on a binge. I'm picking up Hawkeye, ASM, Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Deadpool, All New X-Men, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League, and TWD....and I don't want to leave any of them. :(

I'm going to have to make a budget soon too. I recently got back into comics as well and it feels like I went on a binge. I'm picking up Hawkeye, ASM, Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Deadpool, All New X-Men, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League, and TWD....and I don't want to leave any of them. :(

That's the problem I almost found for myself, I started with two titles and almost ballooned up to a dozen.

I used to have no discretion, buying any and all titles that caught my eye.

Now, I limit it, but not by any conscious system. I just know I don't have the resources or space for amassing a collection like I used to. I haven't bought any comics on a monthly basis in years, so I am trying to fill in the back issues I missed on top of not getting further behind. And too many books still perk my interest! I have like 9 titles that are going to be added to my pull list. Ugh!

I used to have no discretion, buying any and all titles that caught my eye.

Now, I limit it, but not by any conscious system. I just know I don't have the resources or space for amassing a collection like I used to. I haven't bought any comics on a monthly basis in years, so I am trying to fill in the back issues I missed on top of not getting further behind. And too many books still perk my interest! I have like 9 titles that are going to be added to my pull list. Ugh!

I used to spend about 15-20 dollars a week. Then I had to cut back a lot to the point that I stopped reading for almost a year. I got back into it earlier this year (and was able to get the issues of Batman and Green Lantern I missed from the start of the New 52 onward), but even when I got back into it, I got a little over what my wife and I can really budget for comic books. I have cut back again. Right now my pull list is just Amazing (soon to be Superior) Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Batman and Green Lantern. With all of these new books coming out, I have been testing the waters with some (got first issues of several other Now books, as well as a few issues of some other books, like Talon).

Although I have been a big GL guy for a while, I'm currently only reading the main GL book, and that one is losing me a bit. IMO, Batman and Amazing Spider-Man have been consistently the best books I have been reading over the last year.

Anyway, to answer your question, right now I am trying to keep it between $20-30 a month, at most.

Okay so I'm trying to keep it right at that $24-$26 dollar level monthly which boils down to six issues a month.

2 issues of Avengers
New Avengers
Batman
Hawkeye

...are the locked in titles. But what I'm really curious about are the following titles:

Wolverine And the X-Men (was reading them as trades, but not liking some of the recent issues)
FF (Future Foundation)
Captain America
Thor: God of Thunder

Any thoughts on the latter three from the first couple of issues?

I would recommend FF only if you're reading Fantastic Four. They're both great books, but from what I've read so far, they're very heavily linked with one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"