Campus shooting at Northern Illinois University

Kids have to register there cell phone with Universities now.

This is for an emergency from a foreign attack, to school shootings and even end of the world things such as meteors and yellow stone erupting. In other words, it's for every emergency imaginable.

Like I said, nothing most Universities had to think of at least when I attended school.

living in chicago, this hits home. my girlfriend goes to devry in the city, so something like this can happen anywhere? i'm now totally terrified. prayers goes out to the families, fears go to everywhere else.

The thing that pisses me off is these cowards shooting themselves, your life is so bad just off yourself, don't take strangers with you. Just wish one of these scumbags would be dearmed before they off themselves, put the little prick in a zoo-like cage where any and everyone could see the freakshow, think your life is bad now, wait till you're seen for the freak you really are. I really think the rise in these shootings is probably cause in the end these freaks get what they want a way out and some strangers to go with them, if they were caught forced to deal with the consequences of their actions they might think twice.

I posted a link to "school shootings" on wikipedia. Unfortunately, it isn't new, ever since the 60s it just seems with media in the state that it is now, it's just in your face more often with cable, internet, etc.

I posted a link to "school shootings" on wikipedia. Unfortunately, it isn't new, ever since the 60s it just seems with media in the state that it is now, it's just in your face more often with cable, internet, etc.

the Media is responsible for a lot of the bad situations we're stuck in now.
the new is now just a way to spread panic "the 5 things in your house that are killing you as we speak.....at 11"
the world has always been a rough place.
sadly, when we stop watching the news and they are forced to report ACTUAL news, only then, for now, we are stuck with "hey what's that in your remote control?.....LEAD! at 11"

Is it me, or is this kind of mass-killing of innocents in malls and universities have become an annual reoccurance? It pisses me off that deranged psychopaths who wanted to make a name for themselves would go on a killing spree, then just before they are caught they'd turned into a coward and turn the gun on themselves rather than be sent to the prison. Events like this makes you wonder if the world has already went off the deep end.

There were 8 shootings in the US before 1990, according to wikipedia.
3 of which involved protesters being shot by authorities, which I really wouldn't count in this discussion. Yes they were terrible but it's a different scenario all together. Some lone lunatic didn't come in randomly and start killing people.
35 shootings after 1990. I'd say it's a recent epidemic.

I'd like for it to be a solo job, because some people *cough* Geo *cough* don't know a word about what they're talking about. Others, who have been certain places in high school know and see how to help these kids, just not enough of them- such as troubled_josh up above- aren't doing enough to really raise their voice about the issue and if they do they're typically too afraid to talk about it beyond online. No offense dude.

So sue me if I have no sympathy for someone who would rather commit mass murder and suicide, then deal with their problems (which everyone goes through) without unjustified violence.

If a lot of kids go through such thoughts... That means that most of them work through it and don't do anything, like troubled josh. There shouldn't have to be a specific outreach program to stop people from killing each-other.

There were 8 shootings in the US before 1990, according to wikipedia.
3 of which involved protesters being shot by authorities, which I really wouldn't count in this discussion. Yes they were terrible but it's a different scenario all together. Some lone lunatic didn't come in randomly and start killing people.
35 shootings after 1990. I'd say it's a recent epidemic.
I stand corrected.

Yeah, but there zero tolerance policy does not work-

And Geo since it's going to come out soon anyways, I am Josh. :cwink:

Also notice the way you interacted with the two. Josh, u adopted the zero policy routine attitude towards- singling out. Tempest, nada, just plain convo.

That's why I say heightening zero policy would be troubling, they would be singled out and ostracized even more than they are. Never happened to me, thank god, back then. But, the zero policy does not work- it only increases their fear of reaching out for help. They reach out, their cuffed. Not that smart of a policy.

But, if you get rid of that and adopt a 'helping hand' policy of trying to fix the system and working with these kids to overcome their ordeals and difficulties, whatever they may be, not only will these events dramatically become less frequent so will teenage suicides for that matter.

So yeah, no need to mention me- troubled_josh. already came forward with the info.

It doesn't help that as troubled josh, you only posted in school shooting threads, you were talking about something you are going to write that involves school shootings and how you thought about killing people in highschool. And as Tempest you didn't say anything of the sort.

Of course I'd act differently when one person shows clear signs that they have problems and another person shows none.

Also notice the way you interacted with the two. Josh, u adopted the zero policy routine attitude towards- singling out. Tempest, nada, just plain convo.

That's why I say heightening zero policy would be troubling, they would be singled out and ostracized even more than they are. Never happened to me, thank god, back then. But, the zero policy does not work- it only increases their fear of reaching out for help. They reach out, their cuffed. Not that smart of a policy.

But, if you get rid of that and adopt a 'helping hand' policy of trying to fix the system and working with these kids to overcome their ordeals and difficulties, whatever they may be, not only will these events dramatically become less frequent so will teenage suicides for that matter.

So yeah, no need to mention me- troubled_josh. already came forward with the info.

Just posted it down here so u know not yanking chains

In most cases the people involved are mentally disturbed.
" cowardly " " pathetic" they don't apply.

There are plenty of mentally disturbed people who don't kill anyone.

I honestly can't accept that as the reason.

Just posted it down here so u know not yanking chains

It doesn't help that as troubled josh, you only posted in school shooting threads, you were talking about something you are going to write that involves school shootings and how you thought about killing people in highschool. And as Tempest you didn't say anything of the sort.

Of course I'd act differently when one person shows clear signs that they have problems and another person shows none.

So sue me if I have no sympathy for someone who would rather commit mass murder and suicide, then deal with their problems (which everyone goes through) without unjustified violence.

If a lot of kids go through such thoughts... That means that most of them work through it and don't do anything, like troubled josh. There shouldn't have to be a specific outreach program to stop people from killing each-other.

I agree. Kids get bullied in schools in the UK but they don't get a gun and start shooting teachers and classmates.

They either seek help, stand up for themselves, change schools or worst case senario kill themselves but atleast they don't kill anyone else.

Shooting up a school, yes, that is cowardly and pathetic.

Suicide, however... No, I can't see myself doing it, but I can't quite call it cowardly or weak. We don't know what goes through peoples' minds just before they do it, or while they're planning to do it.

Maybe they see it as the only way out. Sure, we know that it's never the best option, but how do we know that's not all they learned along the way?

No, I'm not promoting or permitting suicide by any means. When I was a senior, there was a sophomore on my cheerleading team who I found out this past summer hanged herself (she was going to be a senior this year). She definitely seemed to be having a great time in her life, but I'm sure some problems at home contributed to it. The year I'd met her, she lost her father to a car accident, and as far as I know, she was very close to her dad.

I think there's a big difference between commiting suicide by yourself and shooting a bunch of people then turning the gun on yourself. There's a difference when you're standing around all the bodies of people you just killed, knowing you're about to going to prison for the rest of your life and rather than doing that and/or trying to justify your actions you just take yourself out so you don't have to deal with the consequences for your actions. F this freak, I know I will, but I really would rather not even know his name or see his face. Report on the dead and survivors, but don't give this freak any press, he doesn't deserve it.

Not the point I was making Geo. Making the point of what Zero Policy does. Zero Policy singles these kids out further. They are seen differently after their zero policied by classmates. Because now they know. Ur interaction with me prior before knowing troubled_josh was tempest was two sided. with troubled_josh you knew, you looked at him differently having known. with tempest who didn't say anything, but just talked about the subject- you didn't know- it was entirely different. The whole difference of communication between knowing and not knowing is the whole key here.

zero policy you single them out further, you have people know, sooner or later they start viewing themselves how they are viewed. You adopt the help policy, stays secretive- no one knows, they get help and it's stopped.

Never encountered zero policy four years ago, but in research I did find problems of NUMEROUS kids whose problems just increased exponentially due to it and due to people knowing about it, which does happen. so calling the police first sign you see, that's not helping- that's pushing them further down that path when what you really want to do is yank them and make them face the other way. that's the weakness of zero policy, it pushes it doesn't deter.

adopting the help policy would fix this problem. these kids need psychological help kind of like a form of anger management. u do that, you've deleted the problem. you stop viewing the problem as just something to do with being born that way- you can change the problem. They will start viewing them as a psychlologist views their client. that's the outlook that I and- found on line- numerous people in the field do find to be the ONLY answer to finding a solution. stop zero policy, not helping anyone and adopt a stronger guidance system that is capable of helping these kids- all kids-

Not the point I was making Geo. Making the point of what Zero Policy does. Zero Policy singles these kids out further. They are seen differently after their zero policied by classmates. Because now they know. Ur interaction with me prior before knowing troubled_josh was tempest was two sided. with troubled_josh you knew, you looked at him differently having known. with tempest who didn't say anything, but just talked about the subject- you didn't know- it was entirely different. The whole difference of communication between knowing and not knowing is the whole key here.

zero policy you single them out further, you have people know, sooner or later they start viewing themselves how they are viewed. You adopt the help policy, stays secretive- no one knows, they get help and it's stopped.

Never encountered zero policy four years ago, but in research I did find problems of NUMEROUS kids whose problems just increased exponentially due to it and due to people knowing about it, which does happen. so calling the police first sign you see, that's not helping- that's pushing them further down that path when what you really want to do is yank them and make them face the other way. that's the weakness of zero policy, it pushes it doesn't deter.

adopting the help policy would fix this problem. these kids need psychological help kind of like a form of anger management. u do that, you've deleted the problem. you stop viewing the problem as just something to do with being born that way- you can change the problem. They will start viewing them as a psychlologist views their client. that's the outlook that I and- found on line- numerous people in the field do find to be the ONLY answer to finding a solution. stop zero policy, not helping anyone and adopt a stronger guidance system that is capable of helping these kids- all kids-

I think one of the biggest problems with this help policy is by the time these kids start making their plans they're already too far gone, they'll just reject the help. People tried to help the VA Tech shooter, he didn't want the help. You talk about you're own experience, but you didn't get as far down the road, it was still just crazy thoughts in your head, no plan was actually made. Also you realized you had a problem and wanted help to get over it, I really think there's a difference, the person needs to want the help to get the crazy thoughts out of their head.

Re: The teenage wasteland thing. You cannot generalize this stuff or categorize it. Yes, a lot of people hate high school due to the social elements, etc. Not everyone has the same "experiences" in high school and college and in their private lives, and neither does everyone react the same way to everything. Something that you might shrug off my stunt someone else's growth. Some people are more sensitive, less sensitive, or have varying degrees in how their emotions will swing back and forth. Everyone is different in that regard.

Now I don't think that any of those "experiences" or backgrounds excuses shooting up a classroom, or resorting to any kind of violence. But you can't just look at how bad you think someone's life is and relate their actions to that. There's usually a lot more going on below the surface. I think it's incredibly cowardly to gun down unarmed people, but it makes me wonder just how a person's mind works that they ever even get to that place.

I'm actually involved in an independent film project that deals with some of those issues. Should be interesting to see how it's received by the general public. It's surprising to me that no one has made a serious movie about this stuff to date.

FROM A TO B: HOW SUICIDE GOES TO MURDER

So for me getting to the place of thinking it only took the bully and torment factor. Eventually they lower your self-esteem to zero and you feel dead to the world and to yourself. What's the point in living? From there you contemplate suicide. I had to hold myself back from several counts. Then you get angry that the tormentors have led you to want to kill yourself. That anger begins to build. Finally you've had enough, you make a threat but then that threat expands and you start thinking- "maybe I should, it would teach him and everyone else a lesson. Have my voice heard, I will not die in silence." Kind of the beliefs of a martyr. Dying and killing for the cause of getting your message across: we have had enough. Then that thought sits on your brain for a while. You start to even question your humanity due to it- mainly due to zero tolerance all of these guys looking at themselves as monsters. Am I a monster for feeling this way? You start thinking that they are right, that that is who you are and there's no way escaping that. Then that begins to stick and you think about getting a gun, a weapon. Then it escalates from there- okay, want a weapon, want my voice heard- how do I get one without being caught?

Now here's the dividing line for me. I wasn't able to get a weapon or know how to make bombs (which I thought about) without being caught and being in trouble before I could even do something, so the reasons for not doing it were really only personal for me back then: don't know how to get it without being caught.

Then there's those who know how to get a gun. They get a gun, they begin to formulate their ultimate revenge as Eric and Dylan call it. Day comes. They go to school. They have a power-rush, they are in control. This is new. I like being bad, it makes me happy. Now they are in control of fear and they just let rip and as the Columbine shooters stated "have fun."

I know that part because as part of that whole knife incident I stated earlier, when the tables turned. I had broke off from reality. I was going to kill the kid, even taunted him, that's how much I had snapped. It was fun for me. It was power and control, too much for me to handle. He also called a friend over while I was locking my sister in the bathroom. He came, I threatened him, he ran away scared- of me. Now it was me and him and if my sister hadn't come out before it was too late, he probably would be dead right now. This goes on to show how one's fight to gain control of fear that's been taken away can lead to the power rush feeling. Explaining also why it goes out of hand and just shoots everyone in sight. It's too much for them and any person to handle. Even though in an odd way I was the hero because he was stopped and I saved my sister's life- so you could chalk that up to being a 'Death Sentence' type switch being turned off.

They realize what they did. There's no turning back. And that lead's to suicide. The whole suicide thing spawns from not wanting to be observed under a microscope and labeled (as all of these guys are by the public and media) "monsters." So I see suicide as the only end after all is said and done.

That's how one person, or at least that's how I went from A to B. While luckily being blocked from completing that journey. I'm thankful that a gun was not in my house or easy to get. Because I know if it was the temptation would be that much easier because the main thing that held me back was not knowing to go about and acquire one without getting caught. I didn't care about them, to me they had angered me to the point in which they were just monsters in a video game that had no soul. If I was in that state of mind and had a gun in my backpack, I might not be here today and that thought haunts me every day I'm reminded of back then. Seeing that alternate reality terrifies me. I'm sad that I thought that way back then. I've come to realize and understand it, but it's nothing that leaves you or who you are. It's a burden you carry and outside of here no one knows... because as the Flash said in Smallville, "you should have seen the way they looked at me- I just knew things would never be the same." I know how fragile perception is and I don't want family and friends looking at me differently (a huge reason why the autobiography film only briefly touches on that part of my life and doesn't go any further, hints but doesn't go all the way (in other things I can go that far because it is fictional, this one I can't)). And go into detail of the fear about people knowing below:

Help or just afraid to tell?

There are some who don't want help, but there are also some who do. Sometimes you don't even know if this person wants help because they are incommunative. These schools need a safe atmosphere where a student can admit to thinking things like this without fear of zero tolerance hand cuffing them. You take away that fear, chances are you may take away some of the fear of talking about it. Or maybe I'm just like Clark Kent and believe there is good in everyone, or at least these guys, if you try to help them through their problems.

I know this because I never reached out for help either, although I wanted help. I was afraid of what people may think of me and that the school may do something against me do to Zero Tolerance. That's why I personally find that policy as a hinderance other than something that helps. I had to go through this alone and I just managed to survive. Also scared of quacks because, they start digging- they'll find out, tell my parents, tell the school = I'm in deep ****.

So I'd say many do, even though it doesn't appear that way, want help but are afraid to recieve it because of how people may respond (how often do we label shooters who were pushed victims also rather than "monsters" (a term that certainly doesn't help one's self-esteem for feeling this way)) in addition to the actions a school may take.

Several films have already been made

And 'The Guard' there have been SEVERAL well respected and serious films about the subject; the idea isn't original, opinion is though:

- Bang, Bang You're Dead
- Zero Day
- Elephant

'Bang Bang You're Dead' and 'Zero Day' are available online in their ENTIRETY even. So kind of confused about what you mean by no serious films have been made about this subject because plenty have and they have all gone on to win awards (or at least 'Zero Day' and 'Elephant', unsure about 'BBYD'). They came out around early 2000s, which may be why you don't know of them?

Among several TV show episodes as well such as Cold Case: Rampage (mall shooting, but stirred on by bullying and a girl being raped) as well as Without a Trace: Dark Matter.

Also interestingly, in my research I found that this same strive for revenge is akin to a girl being raped, which goes on to explain why episodes dealing with young shootings in which the two guys are bullied and the girl is raped (there have been two episodes of this sort to my knowledge) has been shown as a combo factor on television episodes.

All of these are very serious films that have dug into what causes these events to occur, the best one being- imo- 'Bang, Bang You're Dead' because it has a more gray area to it.

There are also several great books and documentaries. 'Give a Boy a Gun' is a great read and Steven King had a book- but it went off shelves because some school shooters were supposedly inspired by the book. There is also the renknowned play 'Bang, Bang You're Dead' (also behind the film) and a great documentary about Teen Violence and Bullying, I believe it's called "Teen Truth."

So there have been several films, episodes, books, plays and documentaries about the subject that take the subject matter very seriously and all went on to win awards, I believe.

My 'Teenage Wasteland' written for my Multus Tempestas: Virtual Series (highly inspired by my own real life experiences, but only slightly heightened due to the subject of the show (MT is a VS for 'Supernatural')). Plus, there's actually going to be a very similar character in my next Spider-Man fan screenplay which I'm promoting below (don't worry that character is NOT Carnage).

College shooting films have never been made though.

But, if it's about high school- as said before- feel free to ask me any questions that you may have. Because I've been to the same place these guys heads are at, only real difference is I don't pull the trigger. No one gave this boy a gun, always been scared about what may have happened if someone did though.

SENSITIVITY

Yeah, we all react differently. Some shrug it off. Others are deeply troubled and think about murder. Those of which of those fantasies, sometimes pull the trigger. Which is another thing that sets in that- "I'm alone" and "am I monster for thinking this way?" thoughts that accompany this, from my experience.

Oh wow....there was just a kid with a gun reported at a school in a city only 30 minutes away from my own. The school is currently on lockdown. The shooter is a kid, is still alive, is threating his own life, and reportedly hasn't shot anyone yet. This is scary, folks. That could have been my school....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"