Can we finally agree that Evil Dead 2 is a sequel?

REMAKE!!!! Evil dead 2 is just Evil Dead with a bigger budget,and O, Army of Darkness Sux'd balls....

hahaha, I was one of those who believed ED2 was a remake as someone/read it was just Evil dead with a bigger budget. Its been years since I've seen it,and honestly don't really care to see it again. It was decent movie, AoD was a corny attempt at comedy,had some decent one liners,but thats it.
Far as Title of forum,why agree theres no fun in that :)

You're right, there is no fun in that. We need more people to say it's a sequal.

To clear up any confusion; the first ten minutes of Evil Dead 2 recap Evil Dead 1. However, Raimi could not get the rights to show footage from the first movie, so they had to remake those parts.

The first ten minutes of Evil Dead 2 = Remade Evil Dead 1 out of necessity. (why bother recapping the deathes of everyone from the first film?)

The rest of the movie = Takes off at the exact point Evil Dead 1 ends.

What he said. I wonder if anyone has edited the 3 movies into one long one though...

What he said. I wonder if anyone has edited the 3 movies into one long one though...

I'm sure it's been done, although I can't prove it.

Sam even suggested it during the commentary for Army of Darkness.

Yeah, it would be interesting to watch Bruce Campbell age 13 years throughout the course of the movie.

Yeah, it would be interesting to watch Bruce Campbell age 13 years throughout the course of the movie.

Technically, the aging is okay for AoD since the time portal at the end of 2 aged him.

There is some question as to whether the film is a sequel or a remake, since The Evil Dead ends with Ash (Campbell) apparently being run down by the invisible demon which killed all the other characters. However, after the recap of the events of The Evil Dead at the beginning of Evil Dead II (which condenses the Evil Dead story to include only Ash and Linda, the only two characters from the first film important to the story of Evil Dead II) Ash is hit by the same invisible force and the story continues from there.

One of the main points often argued against the sequel idea, is that the book is destroyed in Evil Dead, though seen again in Evil Dead 2. However the book never appears again in its full form after Ash is attacked by the invisible force, the only part of it seen after the "invisible force" scene, are the pages found by the archeologist's daughter, from which are read through to release the time portal. After this scene the cover is of the book is never shown again, which supports the sequel argument.

Differences between the recap and the actual events of the first movie are mainly attributed to Raimi's inability to obtain footage from the first movie due to the rights being owned by several different companies in different worldwide territories. Following that, he decided to take a few creative licenses with the story to help the flow of the plot. This is the film which introduces the famous chainsaw attached to Ash's arm.

The film was followed by Army of Darkness, which continues with Ash's adventures in the medieval fantasy world into which he was transported at the end of Evil Dead II.

In the special edition version of Army of Darkness, on the commentary, the question is posed to Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. They comment that the three films can be edited together as a whole. Though they don't comment on whether this means Evil Dead 2, is a sequel or remake. - www.wikipedia.com

Evil Dead 2 is a sequel. Raimi confirmed it in that video from 1987.

I beleive the ED2 is both sequel AND remake, whilst at the same time being neither.

Really though, I don't care what you or Raimi says (unless you can convince me otherwise). ED2 is a remake more than a sequel.

AoD is a pure sequel because-

it carries on where the last one finished
has the same character
had a solid flashback sequence
continues the established plot line

Whislt ED2 is not IMO:

-it has slightly different characters
-rehashes the original plot/circumstances (albiet slightly differently with different scenes

-why the hell would Ash go back to the cabin with a different girl?

I know its not conscise, but anyway please convince me otherwise.

I thinks it's both a remake and a sequel.

The recap at the beginning of EDII pretty much retcons ED1 out of existence by establishing that only Ash and his girlfriend went to the cabin. After the recap/retcon it's a straight on sequel.

Evil Dead 2 is a sequal....saying it isnt is like saying spider-man 2 wasnt a sequal to 1.

Yeah, it's a sequal. I never understood the claim that it's a remake.

It was from noobs who could not get their heads around the fact that the first 10 minutes are a recap of the events of the first film.

The thing that throws most of these peeps is that the producers did not own the rights to the first film, hence instead of (as they intended) re-using old footage from the first film they had to re-shoot the events of ED for the recap.
Couple this w/ them not being able to get the original actress who played Linda, and that's how noobs came to believe it was a remake.

Evil Dead 2 is a sequal....saying it isnt is like saying spider-man 2 wasnt a sequal to 1.

Except it took place after the events of the first film and continued the narrative from one to the other.

ED2 repeats the basic narrative, with the same character, justifying any confusion or calls of a remake IMO.

It makes no sense as a sequel. Why would Ash revisit the house?

I'm not a noob though.

It IS a sequel. Raimi intended to use material from the first Evil Dead in the beginning of the movie but different studio had the rights to the footage so they needed to re-film the material.

I still don't get it.

If Raimi wanted to re-use old footage (license or not) for the film, then the 'sequel' would contain half the first film, making it a 1.5 kinda film.

???

But if it was a sequel, in the first film Ash left the cabin. Why would he return for the sequel?

Great now I need to watch ED 2 agian to see how it works like that.

Does it matter? These movies are overated cheese. I will never understand why these movies have such a large cult following.

I still don't get it.

If Raimi wanted to re-use old footage (license or not) for the film, then the 'sequel' would contain half the first film, making it a 1.5 kinda film.

???

But if it was a sequel, in the first film Ash left the cabin. Why would he return for the sequel?

Ash doesn't leave and come back. He goes there once. Look at what others have said about the footage. That is why they had to reshoot the beginning and get a new actress.

Sequel Either way i love the movie! its been one of my favs for YEARS! :D

Ash didn't leave the cabin. He was attacked by the deadites. Remember the POV shot?

Moreso would be the fact that Ash couldn't leave the area where the cabin was because the invisible forced had destroyed the bridge. It wasn't really a choice on his part. And at least he could still get supplies and weapons from the cabin.

It's a sequel to the prequel that is actually based on the sequel's prequel, centered somewhere around the prologue of the prequel and sequels prequel introspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"