Cancelled shows of Tomorrow: The War on Chuck Lorre

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Name is Earl and Raising Hope are pretty good though

Oh, I know. I'm just busting chops. :o

Though the man is at least partially responsible for Yes Dear, and that show was dreadful.

Greg Garcia gave us My Name is Earl and Raising Hope, but he did give us Yes, Dear. I'm kind of uneven on him getting another sitcom.

I saw a promo for a show called Zero Hour. I predict it will be terrible, but will survive. As stupid stuff seems to survive longer than they should on ABC such as Charlie's Angels and Grey's Anatomy. :o

What the eff are you talking about? Charlie's Angels didn't even last half a season.

He's talking about the original series :rimshot:

What the eff are you talking about? Charlie's Angels didn't even last half a season.
That's still more than it actually deserved. Crap show shouldn't have been picked up in the first place. :o

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/jason-ritter-to-star-in-foxs-comedy-pilot-friends-family/
Jason Ritter To Star In Fox’s Comedy Pilot ‘Friends & Family’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Jason Ritter is set as the male lead in Friends & Family, Fox‘s single-camera comedy pilot from writer David Rosen, Sony TV and BBC Worldwide Prods. Based on the UK series Gavin & Stacey, Friends & Family focuses on the key life moments for Gavin (Ritter) and Stacey, who try to maintain their relationship while combining their polarizing families’ lives. Gavin is described as adorably neurotic, a good guy who’s excited about his first real date with Stacey, a co-worker from rural Pennsylvania he’s become friends with through Skype and Facebook. Ritter, repped by ICM Partners and the Burstein Co., was among the sought after young actors this pilot season. He recently recurred on NBC’s Parenthood and last season toplined NBC’s drama pilot County.
Love that guy. :up:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/jas...geon-general-drama-pilot-rod-lurie-to-direct/
Jason Isaacs To Star In CBS’ ‘Surgeon General’ Drama Pilot, Rod Lurie To Direct
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

CBS has won the Jason Isaacs sweepstakes. The Awake star, who was offered virtually every drama male lead in his age range this season, has closed a deal for CBS’ The Surgeon General. Rod Lurie has come on board to direct the pilot, from Lie To Me creator/executive producer Samuel Baum. The CBS TV Studios-produced project centers on Dr. John Sherman (Isaacs)— the most powerful doctor in the nation, the Surgeon General, who has 315 million patients. As “America’s Doctor,” Sherman and his team battle the powerful forces of politics and business, fighting to protect the health of everyday Americans. Brit Isaacs is with Gersh, The Collective and UK’s Paul Lyon Maris.
Ugh! Sounds so boring. Isaacs, why? :csad:

If they do it like West Wing, it could be good.

Not sure if CBS has the balls for that, though, especially in this political climate.

I hope to God that CN's " Incredible Crew " show gets cancelled. But seeing as how " Level Up" and " Annoying Orange " continue to thrive, I doubt it.

And apparently Maya Rudolph is pregnant too. So it's basically like God is looking down at this show and saying "lol you're done."

Yeah when were they going to pull the plug? After they shot the multi-camera episode, after they aired the multi-camera episode if they were even going to do that?

Quit spending money on the show and kill it so everyone can move onto the next project.

I still don't get how NBC's ratings are so notoriously bad, considering that I think their sitcoms have generally been the best on tv. With the exception of Modern Family, I feel like NBC has had by far the best over recent years (The Office, 30 Rock, Community, Parks and Rec, My Name is Earl, Scrubs). Granted, there have also been some stinkers (Whitney... Yeah, that was the worst).

Probably due to the level of creativity in the writing. On CBS, the jokes are **** but there's a laughtrack there, so the audience won't get lost. How can the modern American idiot ever expected to keep up with the likes of Community or 30 Rock? :o

I was sold on 30 Rock as soon as I heard this line in ihe pilot:

Tracy Jordan: "Affirmative action was designed to keep women and minorities in competition with each other to distract us while white dudes inject AIDS into our chicken nuggets"

Probably due to the level of creativity in the writing. On CBS, the jokes are **** but there's a laughtrack there, so the audience won't get lost. How can the modern American idiot ever expected to keep up with the likes of Community or 30 Rock? :o

I honestly cannot watch a show with a laugh track now. Well, I take it back, if it is a show that started in the 90s or earlier, and I am watching reruns, I am fine with it, but I feel like laugh tracks are horribly dated and corny.

I think Arrested Development wa the real game changer there.

In case you haven't seen it

Hannibal trailer

Great choice for Hannibal, but the trailer is more of a messy teaser that does nothing for me.

I still don't get how NBC's ratings are so notoriously bad, considering that I think their sitcoms have generally been the best on tv. With the exception of Modern Family, I feel like NBC has had by far the best over recent years (The Office, 30 Rock, Community, Parks and Rec, My Name is Earl, Scrubs). Granted, there have also been some stinkers (Whitney... Yeah, that was the worst).

The premiere ratings for their new comedies have done well, the people just don't like them and don't return for the second or third week.

Up All Night 10 million premiere, last episode under 3 million
Go On 16 million, last under 4 million
Animal Practice 13 million, last under 4 million
The New Normal 7 million, last under 4 million
Guys with Kids 6 million, last under 3 million

Now ultimately it is the demo number that determines if a show stays on, but that just shows that people do respond to marketing and tune in but the product doesn't satisfy. There is a greater use of DVRing as well. That has been happening with Fox as well (Touch, Alcatraz, . ABC not so much.

They do have NFL Footall but that hasn't paid off in bringing in viewers (Revolution up against MNF?). Also NBC's dramas are low rated so they're not able to advertise their shows to a growing audience, only a shrinking one. Plus people who DVR skip ads for NBC shows they may like as well.

In case you haven't seen it

Hannibal trailer

Great choice for Hannibal, but the trailer is more of a messy teaser that does nothing for me.

It's early in the game, they'll be putting out more stuff than that, I'm sure, and hopefully a full trailer. For now, it's enough to whet my appetite.

The premiere ratings for their new comedies have done well, the people just don't like them and don't return for the second or third week.

Up All Night 10 million premiere, last episode under 3 million
Go On 16 million, last under 4 million
Animal Practice 13 million, last under 4 million
The New Normal 7 million, last under 4 million
Guys with Kids 6 million, last under 3 million

Now ultimately it is the demo number that determines if a show stays on, but that just shows that people do respond to marketing and tune in but the product doesn't satisfy. There is a greater use of DVRing as well. That has been happening with Fox as well (Touch, Alcatraz, . ABC not so much.

They do have NFL Footall but that hasn't paid off in bringing in viewers (Revolution up against MNF?). Also NBC's dramas are low rated so they're not able to advertise their shows to a growing audience, only a shrinking one. Plus people who DVR skip ads for NBC shows they may like as well.

I don't think it was really a ratings question. It was a "why are they doing poorly, when the network has the best comedies on network TV?" question.

I also forgot about those awful looking ones you just listed. I mean, wow, I remember watching the Olympics, being bombarded by Animal Practice and The New Normal commercials. Those looked god awful.

However, they don't really look that much worse than Two Broke Girls, so who knows?

I like Go On and wish that more people did as well.

I also forgot about those awful looking ones you just listed. I mean, wow, I remember watching the Olympics, being bombarded by Animal Practice and The New Normal commercials. Those looked god awful.

However, they don't really look that much worse than Two Broke Girls, so who knows?

Animal Practice blew, but New Normal is nowhere NEAR as bad as 2 Broke Girls.

And, yeah, I like Go On too. I feel like it might be doing better at the moment if it had a lead-in that even remotely appealed to an audience under the age of 75. :o

I don't think it was really a ratings question. It was a "why are they doing poorly, when the network has the best comedies on network TV?" question.

The Office used to bring in 9-10 million viewers and 30 Rock would get 6-7 million but Parks and Recreation premiered when The Office was starting to decline in the ratings and they were never great. It even got the post Super Bowl spot and it took a dive as the season went on.

The Jay Leno Show limited the amount of development NBC did for one season and then when NBC had to fill 5 hours of primetime after cancelling it mideseason. They kept Community and Parks and Rec on the schedule for the fall because they weren't going to launch the fall with 7 new shows up against what the other networks were launching.
Those two shows should've been cancelled if you're looking at it from a business standpoint. I love Community but NBC should've ended it. Unfortuanely for them they haven't had success launching new comedies, all of them being misfires. Go On and The New Normal will takeover from Community and 30 Rock as low rated comedies.

Their new comedies failed and then Fox/CBS had setup two ratings juggernauts so the three best comedies (Community, 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation) took turns going up against some of the top shows on TV because NBC wasn't going to attract anything away from Idol or Bang. Also they had bigger problems on Monday and Wednesdays.

30 Rock moved from timeslot to timeslot to timeslot to timeslot. It moved 15 times during its run. At some point some fans are going to give up and just DVR the show because they have kids to look after at 8/7c but would watch it later.

At one time airing at 1030/930c. Plus half the country hates Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin because of their political beliefs.

Also these shows appeal to people who DVR who don't own a Nielsen box or they marathon it weeks later or download or on iTunes or Hulu or wait for a friend to loan them the newest season because they got busy and haven't watched the last few. They also sometimes require you to think like Community and people from all age ranges just want to sit back and turn off their head and laugh at whatever Modern Family or CBS's Laugh Track: Crap-o-rama has going that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"