Cast Smallville's Jor-El

After thinking about it, Johansson could be a great choice for the role. He's great as the good guy and as a villain. I'm sure he will pull off misguided good guy very well!

See.... I know how to cast!!!!

Jor-El.jpg

If it's not Stamp, I'd say Gene Hackman. Just get him for a day or two. They say his daily rate is high but common' they've made hundreds of millions of dollars on the show, the producers could put up their own money if needed and get him, he would be worth every cent.
Originally I wanted Dean Cain if they went with a younger Jor-El...

I still say Stamp is too old to play Jor-El on SV. The guy is almost 70 years old, and at the time Krypton blew up, he'd just had his first child. With Kryptonians aging slower than humans, I think Jor-El would still look more prime of life than Stamp can portray.

Although, it would be a big squee moment for Superman fans if it happened, I just don't think it would work in terms of the universe that has been established.

I suppose they could use some of Tom's Magical Youthifying make-up on him though.... ;)

RakuMon said:
I have no problem with Jor-El aging from...

250px-Jor-El_on_Earth_in_his_youth.jpg

to...

Valorum.gif
in three decades.

:D
Actually, in the series' timeline, it's been 46 years, since "Joe" came to Smallville in 1961, and Season 7 is set during the present-day. As for casting, I think it'd work to either have Terence on-camera, or age Tom Welling up with makeup and/or prosthetics. In some versions of the story, Clark is supposed to look a great deal like his father. Zod even comments on it once, saying "You have your father's eyes".

Actually, in the series' timeline, it's been 46 years, since "Joe" came to Smallville in 1961, and Season 7 is set during the present-day.

True, but Jor-El has been dead for many of those years.

True, but Jor-El has been dead for many of those years.
In a way, I suppose that's true, but you could also reason that Jor-El's been dead for much longer than that. You're probably familiar with the following lines from Richard Donner's "Superman" film...

Jor-El: "By now you will have reached your 18th year, as it is measured on Earth. By that reckoning, I will have been dead for many thousands of your years."

I still say Stamp is too old to play Jor-El on SV. The guy is almost 70 years old, and at the time Krypton blew up, he'd just had his first child. With Kryptonians aging slower than humans, I think Jor-El would still look more prime of life than Stamp can portray.

Kryptonians only age slower on Earth. Who's to say how they age on Krypton? That's why I used the Obi-Wan comparison. Maybe Krypton's environment is just as harsh as Tatooine's! ;)

And men can have their first child at any age. Tony Randal was having children well into his 70s and David Letterman was 60 when he had his first child.

Actually, in the series' timeline, it's been 46 years, since "Joe" came to Smallville in 1961, and Season 7 is set during the present-day. As for casting, I think it'd work to either have Terence on-camera, or age Tom Welling up with makeup and/or prosthetics. In some versions of the story, Clark is supposed to look a great deal like his father. Zod even comments on it once, saying "You have your father's eyes".

Yes, but Clark came to Earth in 1989 and aged three years in the ship, which would put Krypton's destruction around 1986, which is 25 years since Jor-El's adventures in Smallville.

If you look at the Chancellor Valorum photo, Stamp has eyes that are a similar shade of green to Tom's. Also, I don't get the "thousands of years" line from the Donner flick. I mean, sure, it'd take thousands of years for a ship to travel the galaxies in real life, but this is science fiction. Plus, that doesn't hold up in those movie's own continuity since it only takes Superman five years to go to and from Krypton in SR.

RakuMon said:
Also, I don't get the "thousands of years" line from the Donner flick...it only takes Superman five years to go to and from Krypton in SR.
Yep, but that's why Bryan Singer used the term "vague history" to describe the past in SR. He took various elements from the prior films, but didn't want to be stuck to a strict continuity.

if i remember correctly clark was seeing the 1961 characters from joe's point of reference. maybe it was all" sam beckett" like, where the image of clark was projected because it actually was clark.

therefore, joe did not really look like tom welling and we dont have to worry about the apparent 46 year age gap.

That's a little too far-fetched, in my opinion. Besides, "Relic" mentions that Lana actually does look like Louise, and the drawing of the "drifter" looks like Clark. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that the events in that episode happened exactly as intended.

In season 3 when Lionel told Jonathan sons inherit weaknesses from there fathers, who else wanted Jor-El to srping to life and whoop the hell outta Lionel?

Terrence Stamp.

Who cares if he played Zod? Now that he's older, he looks like Jor-El. And it's his voice anyway...

Terrence could work. It would be weird to see another actor on the role without Terrence's voice. He was my choice for Jor-El for a Superman franchise re-start.

Jor-El.jpg

Yep, but that's why Bryan Singer used the term "vague history" to describe the past in SR. He took various elements from the prior films, but didn't want to be stuck to a strict continuity.

Actually, there's nothing "vague" about that in SR. I recently rewatched the FOS scene on HBO and they clearly re-used Jor-El's dialogue about being dead for thousands of years. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"