The Official Superman Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by BruceBanner, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

I'll start off with mine naturally:-

Clark Kent/Superman - Henry Cavill (he's 6'1, 24, he's got black hair, blue eyes, film experience, he'd make a much better Superman than Batman)

Jor-El - Gabriel Byrne (I was gonna say Anthony Hopkins, but I've found out he's gonna be 70 on New Year's Eve, and I don't think they should go with someone that old, digital effects or no digital effects. I personally think Ian McKellen looked like a waxwork in the opening scene of X-Men 3)

Lara - Catherine Zeta Jones

Lex Luthor - Ed Harris/Daniel Day-Lewis/Viggo Mortensen/Jason Isaacs (yeah, I know, I can't make my mind up, oh well, best to keep your options open)

Perry White - R. Lee Ermey/Brian Dennehy/Kurtwood Smith (he's funny)/John Mahoney (he's funny too, just watch Frasier)

Jonathan Kent - Jeff Bridges (yes, I know, Iron Man, but, come on, JEFF BRIDGES)/Michael Douglas (possibly? yes? no? maybe? no? ok then)/Martin Sheen (now isn't he rather an obvious choice? he has that Glenn Ford charm and humour)

Martha Kent - Frances McDormand/Meryl Streep (why not?)/Glenn Close (am I the only one who used to confuse Meryl Streep with Glenn Close when I was a kid?)Frances Conroy (reminds me of Phyllis Thaxter)/Julie Christie

Lois Lane - Scarlett Johansson (the only one I can really see in the role, myself, sorry)

Jimmy Olsen - Emile Hirsch (I think he'd be perfect, but he's not quite 2 years younger than Henry Cavill, I think there should be more of an age gap between Jimmy and CK, but then again, Brandon Routh is only a coupla years older than Sam Huntington)

Edit: Damn, I forgot:-

Director - Peter Jackson/Christopher Nolan/Martin Campbell (he's brought Bond back to life, TWICE, maybe he should be given a shot at Superman)/Marc Forster (he's doing the next Bond as well as having done Monster's Ball, Finding Neverland and Stranger Than Fiction)/Paul Haggis (he wrote the best Bond yet, IMO, maybe he could helm Superman's rebirth)/Steven Spielberg (yes I know, El Payaso, but I think it'd be really good, the guy has made some ****ing masterpieces)/Alfonso Cuarón/Mike Newell (anyone?)/Gore Verbinski/**** off Ang Lee, if it were up to you we'd see Superman wetting his red trunks/back slowly out of the room Singer, you don't even get a look in

Writer(s) - Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens & Fran Walsh/Christopher & Jonathan Nolan, David Goyer/Paul Haggis (see above)/the guys who wrote the first Pirates, too many to mention

Composer - John Williams

2. Excel

Excel O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Hell. No. To. All. Of. Them.

3. bunk

bunk superhero fan

The cast was fine aside from Lois.... Not that Bosworth is a bad actress, but she doesn't fit the part completely.

4. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Thank you, thank you so very much.

5. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Thank you, and this time I mean it.

6. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

The Superman board seems to have come to pretty much of a standstill tonight. I've been hitting the refresh button on and off for about an hour and ... not much activity. Oh well, guess everyone's gone off to bed. I may as well too, just gone 5 in the morning where I am and the sun's coming up. Maybe when I check back in the morning some more people will have some more good things to say about my cast. And if not, maybe they'll phrase their criticism more constructively than

I mean, I know I can be harsh, and yeah I guess rude if ya wanna call me that. But at least I give reasons when I disagree with something. Anyway, I've had my little mini-rant. Nite nite everyone.

7. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Just found out there's a thread just like this in the Superman sequels section, so I guess this one is redundant. Oh well, sorry I set it up, I've posted my choices at the end of the other one now. Nite nite.

8. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

Scarlett looks too young and is becoming a tad overpraised IMHO.

9. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Who would you go for?

10. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

a reboot that has an older superman already established, one that has him in his late 30's early 40's.

Superman/clark kent: Clive Owen
    Lois Lane: Sandra Bullock
    Lex Luthor: Billy Zane or Bruce Willis
    Perry White: Ed Harris
    Brainiac: Hugo Weaving.
    Metallo : Kiefer Sutherland.
    Jor-el, in flash backs only: Mel Gibson.

11. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

That's not a reboot, that's a quasi partial semi sequel reboot.

12. bunk

bunk superhero fan

Lmao! I'm sorry dude, I'm just not seeing it. I do like the idea of an older Supes though.

13. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Me too, just not in a reboot.

14. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

Its a reboot if singer and company are not involved. no kid, no new krypton, better suit. Its a reboot, not a semi sequel.

15. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

Hey thats kool. I can see it though.:yay:

16. Justice Bringer

Justice Bringer Well-Known Member

That sucks.

17. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Look up the word reboot on Wikipedia, better yet, here's the link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_(continuity) A reboot is a restart from the VERY BEGINNING.

18. I SEE SPIDEY

Well thats a hard one. Okay it's a restart so making the characters younger would make since instead of you know, making the characters look much younger even though 5 or 6 years had passed.

I would get 26 or 27 year old Kristen Bell as Lois Lane. She's in a little watched cancelled gem named Veronica Mars. She is pratically playing a young LL on the show and she does spunky better SMG. (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

The Superman thing is hard. I liked the lead guy's look in the IMHO awful Texaschainsaw Massacre the Begining. Don't know how tall he is, though I could deal with the actor not being the tallest if he looked good other wise and played the role to a tee.

I honestly don't have anyone for Lex but I can tell you one thing I wouldn't have got Kevin Spacey for the role. Personally I would get a guy that is about only 10 years older than Superman and who is a good actor, obviously and is hansome...Hey a girl has to have eyecandy too!

The villain would be Metallo...because I fell in love with the character after watching the animated series. Just get a big guy for that role.

As you can see I don't have everything together yet but those are kinda my choices

19. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Wow, thank you for that frank and honest opinion.

20. Excel

Excel O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Superman: Josh Duhamel
    Lois Lane: Jessica Biel

heh, yeah

21. I SEE SPIDEY

People are going to get on me for this but...I like your choices.

22. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

Josh Duhamel is pushing 35 though.

23. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

I did, and I found this little gem there. I still think you could call it a reboot, but a remake would work as well. Again, different jor-el, no kid, no New Krypton. I dont what else you could call it.

A reboot differs from a remake or a prequel, in that the latter two are generally consistent with the previously established continuity of the series; with a reboot, the older continuity is largely discarded while the new continuity is declared the official canon.

24. BruceBanner

BruceBanner Guest

means to discard all previous continuity in the series and start anew

25. nintendo nerd

nintendo nerd Well-Known Member

I'd like Jim Caviezel for an older Superman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.