• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apocalypse Certified Fresh or Fresh or Rotten? The ROTTEN TOMATOES Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't agree more. What if your own opinion falls in line with the one critic who gave this film 4 out of 5 stars rather than the other, lets say, 10 critics who give it 2 out of 5 stars. What makes their opinions more right than your own? Ultimately how other people feel about something should not matter one bit in how you feel about it. After all, it is just opinions/preferences. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, like I can admit despite the critics hating it that I love The Losers.

(Looks around after admitting that, then runs away)

I can't imagine it being worse either, guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

I hear this arguement and I have to respectfully disagree. If I was watching an Avengers movies where 95% of the Avengers were only present in the second act and were totally absent in the final act, I would complain (unless there was a really, really good reason) and say it didn't feel like an Avengers movies.

I could ALMOST say it feels like a co-Ironman movie, but although he has a prominent role, it's nowhere near as much Cap's. He's the main unwilling Antagonist so it makes since he's there.
I've watched Civil War twice and it feels like a Captain America movie to me. It also doesn't have the same tone as The Avengers movies so far.

I've seen Captain America 3 twice (though I only paid once) and it was just amazing and I just cannot wait to see Thor, Hulk, Doctor Strange and Captain America to appear with superheroes that appeared in CW in Avengers 3!

Again... who cares?

Not dismissing critics (I have quite a few friends who are critics) and they do matter to help championing smaller films in need of attention.

But come on, people. See the film yourself. Then formulate your own opinion and stop worrying about what this means to how you might view it (Spoiler: it shouldn't). And it goes without saying how flawed Rotten Tomatoes is with their rating system.

The response seems to genuinely mixed. So there is a very good chance you might like it. The 40% range is still in a range where I think a movie can be good.

I'm still there Thur night.

It will only drop from here.

And for those of us who are dissing the RT system I just want to point this out: you wouldn't be disregarding the percentage if the numbers were favorable. Again, these are the exact same critics that gave Bryan Singer's DOFP a 90+ Certified Fresh rating. :csad:

So no...there's no "conspiracy" my friends. No agenda. The film is apparently poor.

I don't think it is quite guaranteed to drop. It seems to be a genuinely mixed reception, as the average rating doesn't really seem to be moving much. I think it will settle in the 40-60% range, which is a good range for mixed reception.

Again... who cares?

Not dismissing critics (I have quite a few friends who are critics) and they do matter to help championing smaller films in need of attention.

But come on, people. See the film yourself. Then formulate your own opinion and stop worrying about what this means to how you might view it (Spoiler: it shouldn't). And it goes without saying how flawed Rotten Tomatoes is with their rating system.
I am totally seeing this. I am an X-Men fan and I love the First Class continuity. But I am not a fan of just telling people to see movies. Like this would theoretically apply to all movies, and no one has the money or time for that. Critics help people make these type of decisions.

Personally, the extremes really do help with determining whether you should see a movie or not. We are not at the extremes yet (despite the general attitude that under 70 is "worse movie ever" territory)

Again... who cares?

Rotten Tomatoes isn't flawed. It would be flawed if the Tomatometer and the general audience consistently disagreed on the quality of films, but that simply isn't the case. BvS WAS widely disliked, Civil War and Deadpool ARE extremely popular, etc. That's exactly how things should be if the Rotten Tomatoes formula is working.

Rotten Tomatoes isn't flawed. It would be flawed if the Tomatometer and the general audience consistently disagreed on the quality of films, but that simply isn't the case. BvS WAS widely disliked, Civil War and Deadpool ARE extremely popular, etc. That's exactly how things should be if the Rotten Tomatoes formula is working.
I agree with this. It isn't perfect, but the vast majority of the time, critics and the general audiences agree. You even see it with the "splits" like Man of Steel.

Personally, the extremes really do help with determining whether you should see a movie or not. We are not at the extremes yet (despite the general attitude that under 70 is "worse movie ever" territory)
True. Saved me 10 bucks on Fantastic Four. :funny:

I'd rather make my own mind up than base it on a RT score.

I wouldn't rate BvS so poor as to get 27% and I wouldn't rate SW:TFA so good as to merit 92%. Nor would I say Civil War deserves 90%.

If you let a RT score dictate your cinema habits, it doesn't suggest much ability to think independently.

I wouldn't rate BvS so poor as to get 27% and I wouldn't rate SW:TFA so good as to merit 92%. Nor would I say Civil War deserves 90%.

If you let a RT score dictate your cinema habits, it doesn't suggest much ability to think independently.
So you see every movie every week? That is amazing. :eek:

Still trying to figure out how Barbershop 3 got a 92%.

Rotten Tomatoes is a very useful tool for people like me who value their free time and money and don't go to a movie every week "just because." For movies like this where I was on the fence, it's good to know to just see Civil War again in theaters instead of seeing this. :cwink:

I'm really struggling to believe that Apocalypse is worse than Last Stand I'm sorry that just isn't a possibility. Last Stand was a total mess. All of the reviews are mixed. Some love first half and hate second, others hate second and love first, some love Jen some hate her, some love Sophie, some don't.

The consistency is that there's some great character building at the beginning, good humor, Prof X, QS and Mags are all standouts. It just seems the story is a bit patchy but at least it's one main story and not two huge stories smashed together unevenly. I'm sorry that in itself makes it better than Last Stand and it shouldn't even be a comparison.

Considering you haven't even seen the movie, saying it's automatically better than Last Stand is kind of impossible.

So you see every movie every week? That is amazing. :eek:

I see movies based on whether I find the premise interesting and the trailers appealing. And on whether I'm a fan of the material being adapted.

If i want to go to the cinema, I just go - even on my own, late in the evening. I have a cinema about 5 minutes' drive from my house and it's very easy to just 'pop in' to see a movie if I have free time or really want to see something. I also used to be about one mile from a former IMAX cinema called The Giant Screen so i could go there after work (it closed so that's no longer an option). I take my own snacks stuffed in my coat (lol) and i'm good to go!

I just like to make my own mind up. I also hate to follow the crowd or do (or not do) something based on some sort of majority verdict.

Rotten Tomatoes is a very useful tool for people like me who value their free time and money and don't go to a movie every week "just because." For movies like this where I was on the fence, it's good to know to just see Civil War again in theaters instead of seeing this. :cwink:

Considering you haven't even seen the movie, saying it's automatically better than Last Stand is kind of impossible.

In other words, follow what everyone else is doing because higher score=better movie.

Yeah I tried that with Boyhood and Whiplash, regret waiting time and money for them.
Though I did my money's worth for Fury Road, but then again I saw it without the critics and loved every minute of it.

i was actually quite shocked to see BVS was 27% because yeah it wasn't amazing but i didn't think it was that bad.

i wonder if over time the RT gets harsher on comic book movies since we are very spoilt with them now

I see movies based on whether I find the premise interesting and the trailers appealing. And on whether I'm a fan of the material being adapted.

If i want to go to the cinema, I just go - even on my own, late in the evening. I have a cinema about 5 minutes' drive from my house and it's very easy to just 'pop in' to see a movie if I have free time or really want to see something. I also used to be about one mile from a former IMAX cinema called The Giant Screen so i could go there after work (it closed so that's no longer an option). I take my own snacks stuffed in my coat (lol) and i'm good to go!

I just like to make my own mind up. I also hate to follow the crowd or do (or not do) something based on some sort of majority verdict.

Of course because the crowd can never be wrong on things , right?

People seem to be confused by how RT works. Having a 92% or 27% score isn't not a "rating" of sorts. It is simply an aggregate of how many critics recommend seeing a movie.

92% recommend seeing TFA. 27% recommend seeing BvS. If you are looking for a "quality" rating, check out the average score.

So how would you ever know if there is an older film you missed that you might like? Using this theory, I would have never seen Seven Samurai or Goodfellas. Two of my favorite films.

Again the % is not the score. That's what most people keep forgetting. You don't think Force Awakens deserves 92%? Would you give the movie a fresh? If yes, then you are adding to the score. RT gives only two options--is the film worth watching or not? Fresh or Rotten?

So fresh could be anywhere from a 5/10 with someone being heavily mixed to someone loving it with a 10/10. The % represents how many critics think the film is worth watching. If you want to know their individual thoughts and why they gave a fresh or rotten review, then read their review.

As of right now 47% of critics believe X-Men Apocalypse is worth watching. And a lot of the "fresh" ones are really mixed as well.

In other words, follow what everyone else is doing because higher score=better movie.

In addition to what other people are saying about how the tomatometer works, I've rarely been grossly misled by RT. Within the last five years or so I can only think of maybe a few movies where I wish I didn't see them because of their rating on RT. 90% of the time I've come out feeling fine.

Time and money, guys. I'm not getting any younger, I gotta be picky. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Once the sample size gets large enough, it is able to better reflect the general populace.

In addition to what other people are saying about how the tomatometer works, I can't say I've rarely been grossly misled by RT. Within the last five years or so I can only think of maybe a few movies where I wish I didn't see them because of their rating on RT. 90% of the time I've come out feeling fine.

With Rotten Tomatoes, the scores that I usually don't agree with are for the animated movies, like Brave and Cars 2, I hated those movies and their score is in the mid 70s. While I don't think How To Train Your Dragon and the sequel were really good and those were over 90%. Kung Fu panda 3 was so average yet it got a rating somewhere in the 80s. But with comic-book films, I rarely don't agree. Like a lot people love Blade and Blade II and I just don't and those two are rotten in RT.

People seem to be confused by how RT works. Having a 92% or 27% score isn't not a "rating" of sorts. It is simply an aggregate of how many critics recommend seeing a movie.

92% recommend seeing TFA. 27% recommend seeing BvS. If you are looking for a "quality" rating, check out the average score.
Forget it. Some people will never learn and continue to conflate the T meter with the average rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"