• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apocalypse Certified Fresh or Fresh or Rotten? The ROTTEN TOMATOES Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
YIKES! :eek:

I think this will fall to the low 40s and maybe even high 30s again.

I just can't imagine how you'd rate this fresh. Even movies I don't like I can at least think of the person that might like it. Struggling with this. I'm not a x-men person so already went in with low expectations.

Ugh. Civil War for me, seriously puts to shame any of the mindless action of AOU. I understand that's your opinion and I respect that. Just for me seeing those 2 in the same sentence is such a disservice to the Russo Brothers. I felt Joss got carried away.

Yup, Avengers 1 came pretty close to that and Civil War accomplished it.
I disagree
Avengers accomplished too and the action in AOS was not mindless.

At this point, anything over 50s would be great!

Though I think this might stay in the 40s.

You might still enjoy the film guys. You never know.

OMG Hi SPIDEY! Haven't seen you on the Hype in ages!

Topic? Darn... Was hoping for more positive reviews on this one, at least for Oscar. Was so excited to see him as Apocalypse.

It's kind of a shame to get Oscar and bury him under all this makeup and modulate his voice so that it sounds nothing like him. I get that it's Apocalypse and all of this is needed, but still.

I was a big fan of Andy Serkis' performance as King Kong and that was much the same (though without the added benefit of dialogue). If the actor's good enough the talent will shine through the performance.

It's kind of a shame to get Oscar and bury him under all this makeup and modulate his voice so that it sounds nothing like him. I get that it's Apocalypse and all of this is needed, but still.

Oscar is good, but you never believe he has any chance of winning, which is the weird part about the way he's written.

When it comes to the action sequences, they can be technical masterpieces, but if I'm not invested in the people involved or the conflict, I'm like to zone out.

I felt like that with DoFP at the end.

Sure the stakes were high. Sure some characters actually died. But why should I give a crap about the likes of Warpath or Sunspot or Colossus when they aren't actual characters?

How many mutants has this franchise wasted by having them be nothing more than a super powered cardboard cut out?

OMG Hi SPIDEY! Haven't seen you on the Hype in ages!

Topic? Darn... Was hoping for more positive reviews on this one, at least for Oscar. Was so excited to see him as Apocalypse.
Hi! :woot:

I swear I was going to pm you about Civil War.

I disagree

The action in Avengers is damn fine spectacle but what do you think makes it emotional? And I'm not talking about the geekgasms we the audience had. Legit curious question too.

Oscar is good, but you never believe he has any chance of winning, which is the weird part about the way he's written.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think I've ever believed that the villain in any movie had a chance of winning. Especially in a superhero movie.

DC? Nolan's action scenes in TDK trilogy were laughable at best. Snyder can only make cartoons punch and throw eachother from one side of the other, his only good action scene was the warehouse scene in BvS.

I think the chase scene with the bat-pod and truck in The Dark Knight remains a benchmark in the genre. I also think the Tumbler chase in Begins and both chases in Rises, the one with Batman on the cycle and then later Catwoman while he was in the air, are also exhilarating highlights.

They also stand apart nicely from the MCU and (for that matter) X-Men, because they rely on a minimum of CGI. They are refreshing like that.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think I've ever believed that the villain in any movie had a chance of winning. Especially in a superhero movie.

Too bad critics didn't feel that, such a missed opportunity. I was hoping maybe every single X-Man/ Horseman would be needed to at least weaken him and beaten,on the ground bloody, crushed, no hope.. and when Apocalypse is about to finish his mission..
all of a sudden BOOM! Phoenix rises..

Last edited:
Too bad critics didn't feel that, such a missed opportunity. I was hoping maybe every single X-Man/ Horseman would be needed to at least weaken him and beaten,on the ground bloody, crushed, no hope.. and when Apocalypse is about to finish his mission..
all of a sudden BOOM! Phoenix rises..

Spoiler much?

I disagree

No, AOU was just mindless and made me feel like no one was in danger, but that was also because Ultron was a moron for a villain.

The first film did accomplish action, but geekgasms did help it.

Nah, Alice was always destined to be bad as it's another lame Johnny Depp wears funny hats and make-up movie.

Alice is going to drop so hard from the first film that it isn't even funny. It's going to be a much bigger version of The Huntsman: Winter's War box office fiasco.

Last edited:
Regarding action scenes, I agree that stakes are crucial. CW was a fantastic movie overall and that airport sequence was very well done, however, I didn't feel like I was at the edge of my seat because there were no stakes. It was a bunch of friends sparring with each other and pulling their punches. In that sense, it was lacking a visceral punch to it.

I would think the X-Men going against Apocalypse would inherently have more dire stakes at hand and provide for a more dramatic set piece but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"