Champions Online VS DC Universe

What the hell? I have to pay monthly for this? That's stupid. I'll pass and I suggest you all do to so they make it free to play online.

Welcome to the world of MMOs...

I was once in your shoes, "why should i have to pay for a game"... till i played an MMO... at least do your research before making judgment.

Don't take this the wrong way... but put yourself in another person's shoes. Should we be taking your judgment and not buy the game, when you clearly haven't done your research? How do you expect any followers if you're being ignorant to research why you don't like something? Other then not wanting to pay to keep a game running, have updates, have live moderators there when you need them... and weekly maintenance to make sure the game is running good without any issues.

We pay to have the servers kept in check and to provide us with a constant stream of good quality updates and add-ons. Those things aren't done by little elves. Also, the thought of paying monthly fees mighty scare off a good percentage of potential jerks.

$10-15 monthly isn't a problem for me. Other people probably spend way more for their hobbies.

What the hell? I have to pay monthly for this? That's stupid. I'll pass and I suggest you all do to so they make it free to play online.

Well it'll be awhile before they have a trial for either game considering it usually takes awhile after the release, and thats IF they ever have a trial. Although I never agreed with monthly fees as games like these already make a pretty big profit off of buying the game, and the fact that they charge $15 a month is just crazy. If they run out of money for server maintenance with just people buying the game (it'll never happen) then they should just go through ads. The companies who make these games are greedy as hell, they make enough on people buying the game and if they need more, which they don't, they could just load some ads into the login screen. Believe me I've been a developer before, these people only care about the money no matter what, although there are some great small team developed games that don't even charge (and no they don't have item malls either).

Well it'll be awhile before they have a trial for either game considering it usually takes awhile after the release, and thats IF they ever have a trial. Although I never agreed with monthly fees as games like these already make a pretty big profit off of buying the game, and the fact that they charge $15 a month is just crazy. If they run out of money for server maintenance with just people buying the game (it'll never happen) then they should just go through ads. The companies who make these games are greedy as hell, they make enough on people buying the game and if they need more, which they don't, they could just load some ads into the login screen. Believe me I've been a developer before, these people only care about the money no matter what, although there are some great small team developed games that don't even charge (and no they don't have item malls either).

I tried to respond to this intelligently, but this post just doesn't make any sense, even if you did have some link or numbers that support your theory. Businesses exist to make profit. If they provide a service that is very valuable at a low cost, they make a lot of profit. If its not like that, then there's no incentive for anyone to do anything well, since their profit is artificially limited. Sometimes they make profit between box sales and cost of development. Sometimes they don't. That's the risk they take, which they wouldn't if there weren't a chance for that profit to be very large. They have to make profit between subscription cost and server upkeep. If they don't, then the game shuts down. Period. That's business. Nothing personal. Because its done this way, you have somewhere else to go if you don't like it.

Your business model seems to involve them having "enough" money to keep the game up on their own. This is silly. Why would they continue to put money into something they get no money out of? Is that what you do? You go to McDonalds and give them money, expecting no food? Do you go to work and pick up a paycheck without making money for the company you work for? Is that what you expect of them, and if they ask you to work (making more money for them than you get paid) you call them greedy? Is that how the world works where you live? Does Bill Gates pay your bills since he has enough money to do so?

Also, what games are these that don't charge or have item malls? Link please. I'd like to email them and ask them how they feed their children. And if their game is as good as CO or DCU I'll play that game and send them a donation.

I agree with GL1

You refer to this business as "greedy". As if being "greedy" is a bad thing. In this world... the same one you live in (its not a fantasy Disney movie where everyone are kind)... you build a business to make profit.

You want to make lots of money... not just so you can have food on your table each week. But so you can buy a car, buy a house, go on a cruise with the family... everything you see is money... so to get anywhere, you need money.

They're telling you up front how much the game is and how much the monthly fee will be. They're not taking it out of your pocket without you looking. You have the choice to play the game or not. If you want to, that is showing interest in their product, and if you want the game to continue, you pay the monthly fee.

Almost similar to your local supermarket. You go there to buy food... But if they gave you the food for free... they're not able to pay for the workers or to keep the place up. Look at this as a super market. you want to have fun? You pay. Keeps the game going and everyone is happy

If the game sells well, then years later, you'll see the price drop for the game, trial versions and you may even see monthly-yearly package deals to pay for the service.

not to mention the micro transactions....you want that snazzy helmet that would be perfect for your character but its not in the game...you can pay 5-10$ for it. Dont want to wait til you get to level 20 for some staff or uber sword...get out your wallet.

Welcome to the world of MMOs...

I was once in your shoes, "why should i have to pay for a game"... till i played an MMO... at least do your research before making judgment.

Don't take this the wrong way... but put yourself in another person's shoes. Should we be taking your judgment and not buy the game, when you clearly haven't done your research? How do you expect any followers if you're being ignorant to research why you don't like something? Other then not wanting to pay to keep a game running, have updates, have live moderators there when you need them... and weekly maintenance to make sure the game is running good without any issues.
Did you actually just give me a ****ing rant about me saying that paying for a MMO over Xbox is a stupid idea? You actually think I haven't played an MMO? Of course I have, probably even more than you can even name off. And you realize that not all of them require monthly payments right? Maybe next time before you call someone out whom you know nothing about besides a few assumptions, don't. "Assumptions only make an ass out of you". I'm paying monthly to play Xbox. If they don't like the deal Microsoft is giving them to put the game on their console, then they can go screw themselves. And I had clearly done my research before coming in here if I knew you had to pay for it. I came in here specifically for that reason to say how I thought it was such a stupid idea. On the computer, monthly payments make sense as most MMO's are like that but on a console just make it a one time thing and profit off of goddamn expansions.

EDIT: And they're asking for three times the amount I pay for Live.

Last edited:
The beta testers are speaking and currently Ive read more negative reviews than positive.....

If it was like 15 dollars for each additional year I might have gone for it. They should have just gone with DLC once a year.

first off, did u seriously get pissed because YOU made a stupid judgment on saying Microsoft should pay them?! WHAT!? That is not how the business world works... get a job and stop complaining about money.

I dont come here to look for a fight. You simply said, "What the hell? I have to pay monthly for this? That's stupid. I'll pass and I suggest you all do to so they make it free to play online." Why should ANYONE listen to you when your saying stuff like that? Honestly. Dont get pissed at me... but if someone said, "Hey, why should i have to buy anything at the store if i had to pay for my car and gas to get here?" Would you look at them and agree?

Xbox live charges you money for their service. Champions has their own separate service. They're NOT the same company.

Do you have this same complaint when your internet provider sends the bill? "this is dumb, i pay for xbox, i shouldn't have to pay you too"

The beta testers are speaking and currently Ive read more negative reviews than positive.....

Keep in mind that this is beta. This isn't the official game. So if they're complaining about bugs, then they need to realize that this game isn't complete.

I can say things about the bugs too... there are many.

But as for the game, i like it alot. I play with my 360 pad and the game is excellent!

My fiance, who did NOT want to play this and stick to CoH, loves this game as well. Right now we dont have her on a separate computer because her laptop went to ****... but i never thought i'd see the day where we (not literly) fighting over the computer

first off, did u seriously get pissed because YOU made a stupid judgment on saying Microsoft should pay them?! WHAT!? That is not how the business world works... get a job and stop complaining about money.

I dont come here to look for a fight. You simply said, "What the hell? I have to pay monthly for this? That's stupid. I'll pass and I suggest you all do to so they make it free to play online." Why should ANYONE listen to you when your saying stuff like that? Honestly. Dont get pissed at me... but if someone said, "Hey, why should i have to buy anything at the store if i had to pay for my car and gas to get here?" Would you look at them and agree?

Xbox live charges you money for their service. Champions has their own separate service. They're NOT the same company.

Do you have this same complaint when your internet provider sends the bill? "this is dumb, i pay for xbox, i shouldn't have to pay you too"
First off Microsoft's benefits to the game isn't that they pay them but that they allow them the rights to sell their game on the PC and the Xbox 360. With me so far? Don't interpret this wrong again. Second, why should people listen to me? Cause I'm a pretty reputable poster on the boards.

Are you looking for a fight? Yeah I'd say so. You came out of no where to call me ignorant.

You misinterpret what I said about the xbox. Listen, we paid on average 300 for our consoles and then $6 a month for online access and now some game wants to charge three times our monthly live expense for ONE video game when Live covers hundreds of other games.

Wanna go with the car analogy? Ok here goes. Buying the car is like buying the console. Putting gas and insurance and everything on top is like the live fee. Now lets say you spend about 300 dollars a month on all your car expense and you use roads for free. Now let's say there is one highway that cuts slightly through a path in the direction you prefer going and you have unlimited access to that highway for 900 dollars a month and it goes 80km instead of 100km why the **** would you take it!? This is my reasoning behind it. I can play hundreds more games online for three times less then just one game I could go without. Unless we stand against this, the price will stay this high.

EDIT: And I didn't get pissed. Also, you can't just come out and say my judgment was stupid when it was a matter of opinion, buddy.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that this is beta. This isn't the official game. So if they're complaining about bugs, then they need to realize that this game isn't complete.

I can say things about the bugs too... there are many.

But as for the game, i like it alot. I play with my 360 pad and the game is excellent!

My fiance, who did NOT want to play this and stick to CoH, loves this game as well. Right now we dont have her on a separate computer because her laptop went to ****... but i never thought i'd see the day where we (not literly) fighting over the computer

thats why I said "Beta testers"...glad you enjoy the game though

Ahaha I think this guy is working for them. He's advertising the hell out of it and defending it like it's his newborn child.

Asteroid-Man , lets look over some things...

"EDIT: And they're asking for three times the amount I pay for Live."

I dont wanna argue... but edit that post again.

Also, not all roads are free... There are tolls. And roads really arn't free if you think about it. You pay taxes... or here in America we do, i know your taxes are different, if you're really from Canada. But the money that goes into creating roads come from your pocket somehow.

Also, free mmos tend to not have weekly maintenance.

And are you aware of the other MMOs on XBox live that you have to pay for? This isn't just Cryptic doing this.

Asteroid-Man , lets look over some things...

"EDIT: And they're asking for three times the amount I pay for Live."

I dont wanna argue... but edit that post again.

Also, not all roads are free... There are tolls. And roads really arn't free if you think about it. You pay taxes... or here in America we do, i know your taxes are different, if you're really from Canada. But the money that goes into creating roads come from your pocket somehow.
We don't have toll roads in Canada so my analogy still applies here. There are express routes but you have to pay for a road that has an alternative that's actually faster and free.

Also, free mmos tend to not have weekly maintenance.

And are you aware of the other MMOs on XBox live that you have to pay for? This isn't just Cryptic doing this.
I know but they don't have nearly as many people playing them that could be.

Well i think you guys should take your own judgement after playing the game. had a buddy of mine come by n try it out and hes very interested in getting it as well.

I think because you guys are in a superhero forum, you may have at least a little interest in the game.

And like i said, try it out with your 360 controller. I'm sure that because they're making this game for the 360, plays a role in the computer ver... but it feels like it was made to be played with a controller.

And Roach... I'm not doubting there arn't bad reviews. Everyone has their own taste. And if its a reporter who is stuck on the story which he cares nothing for, then you're only seeing it from his/her view.

As i mentioned, my fiance, my friend, and myself love this game. At first they were thrown off by the appearance of it, but that turned around once they got into the game.

the reviews im reading are from people who were in the closed beta test of the game...and while I dont usually take reviews at their word several have said the same thing over and over again about the game

MMORPG.com

its a website dedicated to every mmorpg that comes out

WOW long time since I posted.

I tried to respond to this intelligently, but this post just doesn't make any sense, even if you did have some link or numbers that support your theory. Businesses exist to make profit. If they provide a service that is very valuable at a low cost, they make a lot of profit. If its not like that, then there's no incentive for anyone to do anything well, since their profit is artificially limited. Sometimes they make profit between box sales and cost of development. Sometimes they don't. That's the risk they take, which they wouldn't if there weren't a chance for that profit to be very large. They have to make profit between subscription cost and server upkeep. If they don't, then the game shuts down. Period. That's business. Nothing personal. Because its done this way, you have somewhere else to go if you don't like it.

Your business model seems to involve them having "enough" money to keep the game up on their own. This is silly. Why would they continue to put money into something they get no money out of? Is that what you do? You go to McDonalds and give them money, expecting no food? Do you go to work and pick up a paycheck without making money for the company you work for? Is that what you expect of them, and if they ask you to work (making more money for them than you get paid) you call them greedy? Is that how the world works where you live? Does Bill Gates pay your bills since he has enough money to do so?

Also, what games are these that don't charge or have item malls? Link please. I'd like to email them and ask them how they feed their children. And if their game is as good as CO or DCU I'll play that game and send them a donation.

Ok so to pre-order the game is about $50, well considering on the servers before the beta opened Champions had well over 10k players, thats half a mil in the BETA, the game hasn't even fkin released yet, once it releases to all the people that don't know about it not ONLY are you going to get millions for people buying the game then you have $15 a month and believe me this game is going to hit a million players like every MMO nowadays, can you do math? If they added an item mall they would get another huge chunk of money. This "Server Maintenance" is just paying for more programmers and technicians, to a corporation it really isn't that much, you really think they spend ALL of their money on the game? Ya right, half the money goes to the company corporates, most of rest goes to the fellow companies who helped develop the game. Have you even been in a game production before?

And that isn't how the world works, its how capitolism works, and its why America isn't the superpower anymore and were going downhill. Bill Gates should pay for others in need and why not? Whats he going to do with it buy MORE houses and other things no person needs. Reaping your genius should give you benefits, but come on, no one needs nearly as much money as Bill Gates he's not even using most of it.

WOW long time since I posted.

Ok so to pre-order the game is about $50, well considering on the servers before the beta opened Champions had well over 10k players, thats half a mil in the BETA, the game hasn't even fkin released yet, once it releases to all the people that don't know about it not ONLY are you going to get millions for people buying the game then you have $15 a month and believe me this game is going to hit a million players like every MMO nowadays, can you do math? If they added an item mall they would get another huge chunk of money. This "Server Maintenance" is just paying for more programmers and technicians, to a corporation it really isn't that much, you really think they spend ALL of their money on the game? Ya right, half the money goes to the company corporates, most of rest goes to the fellow companies who helped develop the game. Have you even been in a game production before?

And that isn't how the world works, its how capitolism works, and its why America isn't the superpower anymore and were going downhill. Bill Gates should pay for others in need and why not? Whats he going to do with it buy MORE houses and other things no person needs. Reaping your genius should give you benefits, but come on, no one needs nearly as much money as Bill Gates he's not even using most of it.
:applaud:applaud:applaud

Monthly fees aside, anybody else getting the game on the 1st?

It sucks that its not coming for the Xbox right away (if at all), but I'll try to play it off my laptop in the meantime.

I preordered it from Amazon with one day shipping (which is supposed to mean that I'll get it that day). I'm on the open beta also, and the 360 controller works like a dream, in case that's any consolation for it not being on the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"