Champions Online VS DC Universe

the copy right on the characters is what stops you from using DC or Marvel characters on CoH... in DCU, wont you beable to play as Superman? You could be Supa Man, Super Man, Sooper Mahn... etc, and not be reported. Or so i assume. You can be reported in CoH, or CO because DC owns the rights to Superman... so any look alike will be changed

Like I said, I wasn't saying you should be making carbon copies of DC or Marvel characters, but powerwise you can make characters that are very much identical.

And just because it's a DC property, I really doubt they'll let players create Superman or Batman. What's the point of it?

in CoH you see a look-a-like daily. There is always someone new who joins and makes their fav character and not know you shouldn't. I'm sure people will do that in CO and DCU...

Some people have already mentioned they want to make a Green Lantern.. whether its them as Green Lantern, or they want to make Hal Jordan...

Which also shows that the game isnt doing a good job of promoting imagination

Woah, just found out all the traveling powers in Champions leave things like fractures and craters on the environment, like landing from a super jump.

youtube the travel power video to check out all the animations... unless thats what u just did

Go Here, "Next time, bring a bigger tank." Champions is going to kick the crap out of DC.

Is that how it's supposed to be like? You'll be able to buy items or equipment that give you advantages? I thought it'd be like gear that alter your appearance. I can't believe that the CO devs would do something like this.

Reading the boards it seemed like it would be equip that gives bonuses

Is this really anything special though? I'm sure you could make Flash and Superman clones in CO as well, if you wanted to. CO has no classes and you can pick pretty much any power you want. It would be a simple thing to create a Superman clone. Super strength, invulnerability, flight, heatvision, icebreath and you're pretty much set.

I didnt say clones. I dont want to be Hal Jordan or Barry Allen. I want to be A Flash, A Green Lantern. Sure in CO I could create someone who looks like a GL and maybe has the powers of a GL but its not going to be the same for me. Is he going to OA to talk to the Guardians, will I be fighting the Sinestro Corps???? As the old comercials say is it real or Memorex???? Why play a clone when I can be the real thing?

I didnt say clones. I dont want to be Hal Jordan or Barry Allen. I want to be A Flash, A Green Lantern. Sure in CO I could create someone who looks like a GL and maybe has the powers of a GL but its not going to be the same for me. Is he going to OA to talk to the Guardians, will I be fighting the Sinestro Corps???? As the old comercials say is it real or Memorex???? Why play a clone when I can be the real thing?

So far none of it is confirmed. Sure, it's based on the DC universe, but right now there's no word on planetary travel. And you can have a Power Ring, but not a Green Lantern ring. But you've got Sinestro to fight against.

if your commenting on what i said, i already stated that " whether its them as Green Lantern, or they want to make Hal Jordan..."

"them" being you (in general) are the new Green Lantern... Or someone with his powers

Woah you people post fast, I'll say one thing firstly, when I said that place its because I KNOW that Champions has it, I don't know if DC does, but Champions DOES have the underwater city. It has a name, but it escapes my thought right now. Anyway the point is Champions is probably gonna have a bigger world, you people really do miss the point don't you.

What do you mean by you people:woot:

As for "the only thing the Champions has over DC is the archvillain" thing well for one I said there were gonna be more although most of them idk since I haven't even played the game yet, and for two ok Champions has that over DC, what does DC have over Champions? And the archvillain thing is pretty cool, plus Champions will have the ability to create your own missions for other people (just like in City of Heroes except improved). I doubt DC will have that from the start like Champions will.

DC has art by Jim Lee(my fav artist), mission arcs written by one of the hottest writers in comics in Geoff Johns and Marv Wolfman, a legend in his own right. DCUO offers complete total destruction. You can pick up anything as long as you are strong enough and use it as a weapon. I didnt see that in any of the videos. Then it has the name recognition. Do you want to follow some guy no one has heard of into battle or do you want to follow Superman into battle.
Then there are the powers, I've yet to see any real abnormal traveling powers in DC demenstrations, just the basic ones like flight, super speed, etc. In the Champions presentations you've seen Iceman's ice sliding, Spider-Man's swinging, tunneling underground, jumping around off buildings and crap like a monkey, jet boots, hover discs, teleportaton, and if they have those they're gonna have a hell of lot more.

they havent shown everything with DCUO and already out of the travel powers the "basic" ones DCUO have look better than CO. Superspeedsters in DCUO can run up walls, spin and create tornados and vibrate there molecules to pass thru stuff...just like in the comics

So heres some more :grin:
  • Archvillains
  • Many Traveling Powers
  • Create and Player User Missions

[*]Completely destructable environments
[*]Actual comic creators writing the missions
[*]Name recognition

Last edited:
So far none of it is confirmed. Sure, it's based on the DC universe, but right now there's no word on planetary travel. And you can have a Power Ring, but not a Green Lantern ring. But you've got Sinestro to fight against.

they have already said that you will be a GL in the game

if your commenting on what i said, i already stated that " whether its them as Green Lantern, or they want to make Hal Jordan..."

"them" being you (in general) are the new Green Lantern... Or someone with his powers

there is more than one Green Lantern

they have already said that you will be a GL in the game

Do you have a link? The last time I heard anything on Green Lanterns, they said they wanted to wait to do them right.

Roach... fyi... CO also has destructable environments. Somewhere i read you can use cars, or the like, to toss at an enemy. Same thing, you have to be at a certain lv to use a car... (ex: maybe you have to be a lvl 10 to pick up a truck, where as lvl 1 u can pick up cans or boxes)

Heres something neat i found:

DC Universe Online: This Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) is a ways off, having not yet even entered Beta, and as of E3 2009 this past June, not even entered the Alpha testing phase. However, the game has showed promise as it slowly and steadily builds to release. Sony Online Entertainment and DC/WB are taking the game seriously, enlisting DC writer Geoff Johns, DC artist/Wildstorm head Jim Lee, and living legend writer Marv Wolfman to construct the look, feel, and stories of the virutal DC Universe gamers will play in. While gamers will not be able to control the well-known characters in the DC Stable, their created characters will fight alongside and against heroes and villains like Superman, Green Lantern, and Doomsday. The game will be played exclusively online, sending players alone or teamed up in their own Leagues, Legions, and Societies on various missions, some inspired by events from the comics themselves.

Highlighted is an answer to whether or not you can, as we discussed earlier, play as a look-a-like.. i thought you'd beable to since its a DC game...

Also highlighted is what i've been trying to tell you, Rail. You fight with the big guys... Where as, and you keep saying this... you do not always fight on the "no name" heroes of CO. CO is worked around you. Your story.

In that little bit of info, they said that you take part in stories from the Comics... i know there will be new ones... but they dont involve no name villains that your character can fight to equal your own nemesis. Like i've been saying, you're fighting someone elses battle by fighting Supermans enemies, or Batman's or Green Lantern's...

In other words... in DCU you're a Side Kick.

Last edited:
there is more than one Green Lantern

yes i know that... but did u really want me to run down a list of names or sum it up with a more common Green Lantern? lol thats why i said you become a new GL

Rail... fyi... CO also has destructable environments. Somewhere i read you can use cars, or the like, to toss at an enemy. Same thing, you have to be at a certain lv to use a car... (ex: maybe you have to be a lvl 10 to pick up a truck, where as lvl 1 u can pick up cans or boxes)

Heres something neat i found:

DC Universe Online: This Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) is a ways off, having not yet even entered Beta, and as of E3 2009 this past June, not even entered the Alpha testing phase. However, the game has showed promise as it slowly and steadily builds to release. Sony Online Entertainment and DC/WB are taking the game seriously, enlisting DC writer Geoff Johns, DC artist/Wildstorm head Jim Lee, and living legend writer Marv Wolfman to construct the look, feel, and stories of the virutal DC Universe gamers will play in. While gamers will not be able to control the well-known characters in the DC Stable, their created characters will fight alongside and against heroes and villains like Superman, Green Lantern, and Doomsday. The game will be played exclusively online, sending players alone or teamed up in their own Leagues, Legions, and Societies on various missions, some inspired by events from the comics themselves.

read post 31 in this thread that I took from an interview at SDCC last month

Highlighted is an answer to whether or not you can, as we discussed earlier, play as a look-a-like.. i thought you'd beable to since its a DC game...

Also highlighted is what i've been trying to tell you, Rail. You fight with the big guys... Where as, and you keep saying this... you do not always fight on the "no name" heroes of CO. CO is worked around you. Your story.

In that little bit of info, they said that you take part in stories from the Comics... i know there will be new ones... but they dont involve no name villains that your character can fight to equal your own nemesis. Like i've been saying, you're fighting someone elses battle by fighting Supermans enemies, or Batman's or Green Lantern's...

In other words... in DCU you're a Side Kick.

How does not being able to play as Superman translate into I cant be a Green Lantern????

I don't like the idea of destructible environments at all, except maybe (MAYBE) on indoor mission maps.

i needed to change that, accidently put Rail instead of Roach... anyway

Help me out here... where did i say you cant be a Green Lantern? I posted a synopsis on the game with a highlighted fact that you cant be THEE so and so... but those weren't my words

So why don't you just design a Green Lantern with the Green Lantern powers which you can easily do in Champions, then make an arch-villain, which is a capability of Champions, that is Sinestro and design his minions (ya, you can do that to) to be the Sinestro Corps. Just beat down your Green Lantern argument. :grin:

I will again say this, Having famous people behind your costume design/mission is a pretty stupid point, one of the main fun parts about this game is making your own designs out of tons of little parts be it costumes or missions.

And fighting alongside the DC greats is great and all, but it'll get boring, I mean I've seen Superman over and over again, I know his story. I want a NEW hero, not the same one I've been seeing for 30 years.

And fighting alongside the DC greats is great and all, but it'll get boring, I mean I've seen Superman over and over again, I know his story. I want a NEW hero, not the same one I've been seeing for 30 years.

i agree. i'd rather just go out and pick up a DC console game so i could at least be one of the main characters... since u cant be one in the MMo... and you cant play out your own story... i cant get myself to want to play DCU.

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS AN INSULT... personally i feel too creative to play DCU... with CO, i can use my creativity and imagination.

How does not being able to play as Superman translate into I cant be a Green Lantern????

Again, do you have a link? The developers said you can have a power ring, but you can't have a GL one. So far I haven't heard anything different.

i agree. i'd rather just go out and pick up a DC console game so i could at least be one of the main characters... since u cant be one in the MMo... and you cant play out your own story... i cant get myself to want to play DCU.

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS AN INSULT... personally i feel too creative to play DCU... with CO, i can use my creativity and imagination.

I feel the same way, creating an all new hero with new enemies is just more appealing. One thing that would be awesome is if you joined a super group (or whatever they call guilds in Champions) and your archvillain and all the other people in super group's archvillains joined forces to make an evil super group so that they all team up on you. :grin: That would be pretty awesome.

I feel the same way, creating an all new hero with new enemies is just more appealing. One thing that would be awesome is if you joined a super group (or whatever they call guilds in Champions) and your archvillain and all the other people in super group's archvillains joined forces to make an evil super group so that they all team up on you. :grin: That would be pretty awesome.

Well, say you joined a team to do missions. You can run into the other players villains. Maybe there will come a point where you see 2 at once... or more.

But they're trying to have an end game with all the villains you made up for that character, to join forces. How it goes is, you make a villain at lvl 25. Once you put him behind bars, you make another villain. Which is cool. Most super heroes have more then 1 deadly foe. And these villains can break out at any time... I cant wait to see my villains team up :)

What the hell? I have to pay monthly for this? That's stupid. I'll pass and I suggest you all do to so they make it free to play online.

I doubt they'll do that, since it wouldn't really be profitable. But I don't intend to pay monthly fees for either of these games, either. I'll gladly play the DCUO trial if there is one, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"