Apocalypse Channing Tatum As Gambit?

Apparently, he'll be introduced in X-Men: Apocalypse, and then potentially get his own spin-off film later. As for Tatum, the times that I've had problems with him is when they try to make him a straight-up badass. He has good comedic timing and he can be charming, both of which are traits that Gambit is known for. Plus, he's good with the ladies (another Gambit trait). I'm willing to at least give it a shot. I wonder if he'll end up being one of the Horsemen?

Chaning Tatum?... As Gambit?...

Really?

When he says "mom ami" I'm going to cringe...

Not liking this casting choice!

What don't you like about Channing Tatum? Not that I'm defending him, I'm just curious. I may end up agreeing with you. All I've seen him in is This is the End. Which I understand was nothing more than a humorous cameo.

I have no problem with this casting and at least we are seeing Gambit again in live action!

t9y0vez.jpg

All kidding aside however, that moment when Tatum said he wanted to play Gambit in that interview with Jamie Foxx... I had a gut in my feeling that if X-Men had a future, I could see this happening: it happened to Giamatti for Rhino, it's a possibility.

When Lauren Shuler Donner expressed interest for Tatum as Gambit, that pretty much sealed the deal that I knew he was going to be cast as Gambit for Apocalypse. And so on and so forth, Singer announcing the sequel to First Class, talking about adding Gambit and Nightcrawler... it's nice to have that feeling in your gut knowing "Yeah, this is happening." LOL I was OK with the idea of it at first when Channing expressed interest, but after a couple of hours thinking about it I really grew on the idea. Truth be told, I can't really think of anyone else at this time who would be appropriate to play him: I ONLY resent the fanbase that comes WITH Gambit now. The Tatum-Loving-Fan Girls/Boys who couldn't find their own bums if I gave them a map, a compass, and pointed to the night sky with my hands and a pointer: minus THAT, which can be a pet peeve of mine, ALONG with the possible success and annoying people automatically jumping the bandwagon... I like this cast decision. :oldrazz:

He is my favorite of all mutants, I only hope he is treated with the love and care I want: I think with Tatum's passion for the character and Singer's direction, I don't see how this could really turn out wrong. :hrt:

Here was that first interview from 8 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXJgpTpnPEc

His passion for the character is rarely seen. I'm sure he'd be willing to sign on for multiple films. Plus he an A-list in demand star. Can't deny that we need that.

Liking a character isn't the same as having a passion for that character. Ryan Reynolds has a passion for Deadpool. Channing seems to like the character because he's also from the south.

My love for Gambit > My dislike of the casting

Bottom line is I finally get to see one of my all time favorite characters brought to screen and have his story told. Im just going to have to hope and pray that its a good representation and a strong story...fingers crossed.

I am willing to give him a shot. He does have passion for the character and I think he has the passion to do the character right. Ryan Reynolds would be the perfect Deadpool and he did his part in the movie well, he still wants to rectify that mistake.

Since this will be Apocalypse, does anyone think he will lead the Xternals?

I hope he's a thief towing the line between loyalties to Mr. Sinister and the X-Men.

Tatum is anything but a great actor.

But who cares? He's got passion for the role, and he has the tools to make him well suited for this part. The looks, the charisma, the physicality, and the action/comedy background.

Also, isn't this like, the first time in history that someone has openly campaigned for a specific superhero role and actually gotten it?

My love for Gambit > My dislike of the casting

Bottom line is I finally get to see one of my all time favorite characters brought to screen and have his story told. Im just going to have to hope and pray that its a good representation and a strong story...fingers crossed.

My thoughts exactly!

Not happy at all. But I think that's already been made clear in another thread...

I'm not happy with the choice but I admit it's a step up from Taylor Kitsch.

^I know that's your opinion and all but really? At least Kitsch attempts to be a different character in each film he does Tatum does the same old same old in every film. I suppose they're trying to make Gambit into the new Wolverine which is fine as the character has many stories that can be told I just hope he doesn't step on the development of other characters.

Last edited:
What don't you like about Channing Tatum? Not that I'm defending him, I'm just curious. I may end up agreeing with you. All I've seen him in is This is the End. Which I understand was nothing more than a humorous cameo.

Look, I'm with everyone in that I love Gambit and want to see him on the big screen. At the same time, I want to see him done right.

So let's get into what is needed for Gambit to be "done right"...

1. The costume. To me, this is one of the most important things. It can't be like this:

He needs to look like this:

2. The accent. This is one of my biggest concern. If the accent, voice, etc. is unbelievable, then the character will not work. Unfortunately with Channing I have never seen anything to make me believe he could pull this off. Maybe (and hopefully) I'm wrong.

3. The look. This is one place where maybe, possibly, Channing can be ok. I mean, really, once you put on the head gear it's really nothing more than the hair and the shape of the face. Though I will say there's something about Channing's eyes that don't seem to fit.

4. His background story, which has nothing to do with the actor.

5. The way his powers will look. Again, this has nothing to do with the actor.

Some have stated that they can't think of any other known actors that could pull off this look, but I'm not so sure of that. How about:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3130820096/nm0093589?ref_=nm_ov_ph

Matt Bomer

Hunter-Parrish.jpg

Hunter Parrish

1312909609_liam-hemsworth-402.jpg

Liam Hemsworth

tumblr_lrkhk8kmsY1qk75j9o1_500.jpg

Matt Lauria

Also:

Sullivan Stapleton

Charlie Hunham

Jai Courtney

Matthias Schoenhaerts

Ryan Gosling

I would imagine that out of all of these at least one could pull off the whole package...

Last edited:
^I know that's your opinion and all but really? At least Kitsch attempts to be a different character in each film he does Tatum does the same old same old in every film. I suppose they're trying to make Gambit into the new Wolverine which is fine as the character has many stories that can be told I just hope he doesn't step on the development of other characters.
I kinda hate Taylor Kitsch as an actor and I've seen Tatum give better performances than him.

I'd really rather Tatum not be Gambit because I think he is wrong for the role but he is the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

Sorry not a fan of this casting AT ALL. I don't have anything against Tatum, never really got the hate he was getting before but I just don't think he's right for the role.

I kinda hate Taylor Kitsch as an actor and I've seen Tatum give better performances than him.

I'd really rather Tatum not be Gambit because I think he is wrong for the role but he is the lesser of two evils in my opinion.
Girl, I could not disagree with you more. I don't think Kitsch is an AMAZING actor, but he is definitely better than Channing Tatum. The latter is this generation's Keanu Reeves as far as I'm concerned. He is wooden and has absolutely no charisma. He always sounds like he's reading lines to me. When I watched '21 Jump Street' I was surprised at how boring I found him given all the praise he got for his role. He wasn't funny, Jonah Hill was funny and so was the script (and that means a lot coming from me because I am definitely not a fan of Jonah Hill). You could have put anyone in that role and the movie would have been just as good - if not better. He is that much of a non-entity onscreen as far as I'm concerned. He is only famous because some women (who don't know any better :p) find him good looking. Tatum is just one of the it-guys of the moment and so naturally he has a big following. I can't say I see him still being relevant in 5 years though.

Last edited:
First off I love Keanu Reeves, he's my first movie star crush and I don't think he is a quarter as bad as people say he is. Loved him in The Matrix and Speed.

Tatum doesn't melt my butter either and I don't find him to be a compelling enough lead for big action films but I did really like him in Jump Street and thought he was okay in a couple of side roles. I'm with you Katie in that I don't want Tatum for this role but as I said I really, really, really don't want Kitsch back either. It has nothing to do with box office, I just think he is a terrible lead actor and cannot remotely carry a film. You want to see wooden and uncharismatic, watch John Carter and Battleship.

At this point I'm not a fan but I can only hope that Tatum surprises everyone and nails this role...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"