Chris Benoit Biopic

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
Chris-Benoit.jpg

- A feature film about the late Chris Benoit is in the works. SRG films has announced via press release that they will be adapting the book Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit and the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry by Matthew Randazzo into a film. According to the press release, the book covers the pressures that Benoit faced throughout his wrestling career "as the combination of drug-use, depression, and head trauma became increasingly impossible for him to handle."

The film will be produced by SRG Films head Dale Alexander Carnegie and is written by Sarah Coulter.

"All of us grow up believing that wrestling is fake, but looking at the shocking number of deaths in the industry, it quickly becomes evident that there is nothing fake about the dangers of this sport," said Carnegie. "Chris Benoit has become a poster child for everything that's wrong with professional wrestling and Sarah's terrific script captures his struggles and the many factors that led to the deaths of three people. People immediately point to steroids, never thinking about the brain trauma these wrestlers can, and do, incur in their profession, nor do they consider the rigorous schedule that keeps them working even when they shouldn t be. The Benoit story is one that needs to be brought into the light."

The studio is in talks with directors and actors and plans to begin production in the fall of 2012.
Source: SRG Films

this is gonna be one hard role to cast imo

Woah really someone is going to do a film on him. Yes his wrestling career was great. But what he did to himself and his wife and son.

Woah really someone is going to do a film on him. Yes his wrestling career was great. But what he did to himself and his wife and son.

Why do you think they're making a film about him in the first place? It isn't to celebrate his career accomplishments, I'll tell you that much.

I am a long time WWE/ WWF fan but I don't know if they should do this. What Chris Benoit did to his family was horrific and disturbing. He used his finisher the cross face to kill his own son. But then again, maybe someone should bring to light some of the pressures of wrestling. People just brush wrestling off as being fake (which it is for the most part) but the wrestlers themselves take all the bumps, bruises and the hectic travel schedules etc. It can take a physical and mental toll on someone. So I don't know, I am 50/50 on the subject.

Vince mcMahon will not allow his name nor anyones name in his company to be used in this picture. They'll have to literally change everyones name on the film. Any mention of WWE will allow Vince to sue sue sue.

Vince mcMahon will not allow his name nor anyones name in his company to be used in this picture. They'll have to literally change everyones name on the film. Any mention of WWE will allow Vince to sue sue sue.

I figured as much. Chris Benoit's career has been erased from the WWE/ WWF records as far as Vince Mcmahon is concerned. From the rumors I read online no one is allowed to speak his name EVER in the WWE again.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure I'd want to watch this.

I figured as much. Chris Benoit's career has been erased from the WWE/ WWF records as far as Vince Mcmahon goes. From the rumors I read online no one is allowed to speak his name EVER in the WWE again.

I'm reminded of the film Factory Girl, one of the characters in the bio pic was suppose to be Bob Dylan but Dylan told the filmmakers he'd sue them for more than what the picture cost to make if they portrayed him so they had to just change the name:o

I remember reading some reviews for this book at the time it came out, and they all said it was cheap and exploitative. And given the timing of its release, I could believe it was one of those books designed to capitalize on a celebrity death. So I can see a movie version being tasteless as well.

I figured as much. Chris Benoit's career has been erased from the WWE/ WWF records as far as Vince Mcmahon is concerned. From the rumors I read online no one is allowed to speak his name EVER in the WWE again.

With good reason. I was a Benoit fan for years but I'm not one of those guys who thinks he should be in the Hall of Fame. If they are going to release old ppv dvds then he should be on there but it's understandable when he's not featured in any best of dvds.

Doesnt seem like a movie most people would want to watch.

they have made biopics on serial killers for god sakes lol

people will watch

Lol, thats true, but the serial killers whove had movies made about them were generally popular or at the very least interesting to most people.

Chris Benoit, as popular as he may have been to the wrestling community, doesnt really strike me as the type of figure that'd interesting to the general public.

This will most likely never get made. Unless it gets made with Wee Man as the killer midget.

Makes me feel ashamed that I was once a big fan of this piece of ****.

This is gonna end up being as cheap as that Anna Nicole Smith biopic a few years back.

I remember being a huge WWE fan back when he was still around. Considering what you guys said about McMahon suing, I really don't think this would be a good idea. I mean, for me and all of us, it was just years ago, and I don't follow what's going on in wrestling anymore. But for me, knowing what he did still disturbs me.

But, you know, that's just me. I'd rather go and watch "The Wrestler."

I used to be heavily into WWE as well (so glad I stopped watching it) and I remember when this happened. Was a quite a shock to me, seeing as I met him at an autograph signing. He seemed like a nice guy.

I find it hard to not see a film like this being majorly exploitative and one sided. It just shouldn't be done.

But this is Hollywood -_-

Wow I really don't know what to think of this. When I first heard the news of what benoit did that day I was shocked and thought somebody was making me up, (I didn't see the whole news story because I was working that day) But really IDK if I would be up to watching a movie about this.

I fell back from watching wrestling after Eddie Guerrero and Benoit passed almost back to back. Like big part of wrestling died with them. I think a lot of fans feel the same way.

Doesnt seem like a movie most people would want to watch.

The Wrestler proves your point wrong. When done right and with enough seriousness about handling the subject movies based on Pro Wrestling are phenomenal. And considering what Benoit did this movie has the potential. I just wonder how they will portray Vince McMahon. Will it be favorable or a negative one?

With good reason. I was a Benoit fan for years but I'm not one of those guys who thinks he should be in the Hall of Fame. If they are going to release old ppv dvds then he should be on there but it's understandable when he's not featured in any best of dvds.

I find this very shortsighted.

After reading the findings I find it hard to say Chris Benoit did those things willingly. The amount of brain damage he had baffles. The man had the brain of 85 year old with Alzheimer. He had an advance form of dementia. The idea that he could even comprehend what was going on just rings false to me. He was so far gone.

The real reason why Vince has erased him from WWF/E history is because the tragedy is a fine example of what pro wrestling does to these human beings and their bodies.

It is much easier to paint him as the crazy killer, then to confront how much Vince's industry contributed to the death of three people.

Last edited:
I fell back from watching wrestling after Eddie Guerrero and Benoit passed almost back to back. Like big part of wrestling died with them. I think a lot of fans feel the same way.

I'm right here with you. Modern WWE has gone to sheeit.

Chris Benoit was my hero. No doubt about it, him and Eddie Guerrero where true idols to me. Then he had to go and ruin everything.

That being said, Harrison Ford as Vince McMahon plz.

first off, i respect benoit as a wrestler.... strictly a wrestler....
he had one of my top ten wrestlemania matches against kurt angle

but all that aside, what he did to his family is unexcusable and completely unforgiveable
the idea that he locked his submission move on his own son and killed him with it is absolutely horrific

i'm not sure if we'll ever truly know what happened that day but still,
the rammifications and scandal wwe and vince went through because of that
almost crippled the wwe and the wrestling buisness in general

benoit not being included on wwe programming/dvd releases since then, despite not fully agreeing with that decision, i understand why they do that
his movie idea seems to just be a cash in because they know it will generate controversy and gossip because people will flock to the cinemas to know "the real story"

i'd hate to think this movie will show vince and/or the wwe in a negative light

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"