Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton - Part 2

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Thread Manager, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I think I will always be pro-Keaton. Nothing against Bale, he just isn't the type of Batman I usually want to see if you get what I mean.

2. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

I blame Nolan.

3. roach

roach I am the night

yep...nothing gets done in a movie without the directors consent

4. ALP

ALP In The Mountains

Lol, so Warner gave Nolan 100% creative freedom except for when it came to Bale's voice. I don't buy that :o

5. redfirebird2008

Yeah, Nolan's fault IMHO. WB would rather have the guy sound like Bruce Wayne in the Batsuit than sound like someone who desperately needs a cough drop. The voice was decent/good in BB, but Nolan took the post-production effects too far in TDK and darn near ruined some good scenes in the movie.

6. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Serenity now!

[​IMG]

7. WolfCypher

I'm glad I stumbled into this thread afterall.

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

The better Batman is winning the poll.

9. imposserus

imposserus Well-Known Member

fudgie where you from?

i used to know a guy who went by fudgie

10. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

Whoa, what an achievement!

11. Marx

Marx Pixelated

As has been said before, this poll "debuted" when the "new and shiny" effect of Christian Bale was in full force.

12. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Yeah but that was six years ago. The poll still isn't even close. That's coming from someone who voted Keaton.

I also think it's a gross generalization and a bit of an insult to accuse all those voters to have voted through rose tinted glasses because something was "new" instead of thinking it was genuinely better.

13. GothamAlleys

GothamAlleys Well-Known Member

Its 60% and 40% and rereading all responses, vast majority stated that they simply like both and both were great but chose one for the poll (kinda like I feel). I dont see any real and nasty competition like Fudgie is making it out to be, although he'd love for everyone to hate Button's movies

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  14. redfirebird2008

Meh. I'll take the Batman Begins version of the character over B89/BR any day of the week. But the TDK voice is terrible and I would definitely take the B89/BR version of the character over that one (except for the final scene).

15. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Serenity now!

It's funny you put it this way considering Keaton was consistently solid in both of his performances and Christian Bale (in your words) was not.

16. Marx

Marx Pixelated

Michael Keaton never faltered as Batman.

17. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Neither did Bale as far as I'm concerned. Even with the voice that gets criticized, that was post production meddling, not a fault of Bale's.

I still like Keaton's Batman a smidge more than Bale's, but Bale was still solid in every scene he did as Batman. I think he makes a better Bruce Wayne than Keaton.

18. El Payaso

El Payaso Well-Known Member

Not Bale's fault but yet part of Bale's Batman.

19. GothamAlleys

I really never saw (or heard) a problem with TDK voice. I didnt even know people have issue with it until few months later when I saw literally everyone online criticizing it

20. Marx

Marx Pixelated

There were a couple of times when Bale's Batman voice was bad all on his own. In Begins where he talks to Gordon about "mass panic" during the narrows sequence being a good example. I mean you could chalk it all up to bad dialogue or post-production meddling (as it is in TDK) but it ultimately still falls back on Bale.

21. the amazing fro

the amazing fro the one and only

The one criticism I always hear from friends about TDK (apart from its too long) is bales bat-voice. I can't really argue with them, unfortunately. I think in Begins it works. He went into full overdrive on TDK. I think Bale has probably heard the criticisms and taken them on board for TDKR (well I hope).

22. GothamAlleys

As I said, I never had a problem with the voice. About the only thing that was noticeable for me is how wide Bale opens his mouth when he speaks but then I heard here that he has or had some speech impairment in his life that he had to overcome

23. christpunchers

christpunchers I AM SANDMAN HEAR ME ROAR

Keaton can still be effective Bruce Wayne and Batman even if the movie was a silent film. Zero dialog and all.

Bale? He too can do it, but he can't project the Bruce Wayne/Batman internal psychological battle properly.

Bale growls and lisps. Keaton didn't have to do any of that to get his points across. Keaton just makes a slight change of voice when he's in the suit to something more raspy, confident and concise. A quick flash of his crazy eyes, standing there in the alley, and you know you don't wanna mess with him.

With Bale, I almost feel like I just wanna poke him a bit and see what makes him tic, because his entire outwardly "brooding" approach to Batman is self-defeating: he will never kill you, so make fun of him all you want.

24. christpunchers

christpunchers I AM SANDMAN HEAR ME ROAR

Bale looks too comfy as Wayne. I love American Psycho and when he's Wayne, I just see Bale, as an actor, pretending he's Patrick Bateman (lite) again.

As Batman, I feel that less dialog works better since we can't read inner thought bubble. You're right, that's probably why Keaton as Batman is scarier, since he's not saying much, you have no idea what this nutcase is thinking (and he kills too, regardless of how inaccurate this interpretation is to the source).

Bale's Batman is mostly all action and very little mystery. There's less behind Bale's Bat eyes than Keaton's.

EDIT: Somebody else said this earlier that Bale looks BORED when he's playing Wayne, as if "its the 100th take" and "wants to go home".... is that Bale thinking that how Wayne would be or is that him actually being in a bad mood and wanting a shoot to be done?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  25. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Serenity now!

That's exactly right. Bale is extremely boring to watch in the role.