Christopher Eccleston is playing Malekith

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Chewy, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

I was referring to comics Doom. Never speak of that bastardization of his character ever again.

2. iwontsaveu

iwontsaveu Well-Known Member

True! I would love to see some heroic brutality from Thor. that's why i want a black panther movie so bad, dude does whatever.

3. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Yes he does, Black Panther is one of top 10 favorite superheroes.

4. Incredible Hans

Incredible Hans I'm always hungry!

[​IMG]

This villain will be great!!!

(Unless, of course, at some point during the movie we see him coming from the toilet and learn that he isn't really Malekith but Sarah Jessica Parker after plastic surgery gone wrong and that the real Malekith is actually Egghead.)

5. Doctor Who

Doctor Who KIDNEYS!!!

I pray. From what I've heard though, he seems a very tragic inflicted character. Lost his wife, his children; the man is out for blood. This should be a sight to see. :hrt:

6. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

Yes, he's a vengeance-obsessed psychopath. He really is like Nero from Star Trek.

7. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Why can't he just be evil.........

8. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

because that's boring

9. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Not to me. I found Nero (tragic) boring and Joker (no reason) interesting. It's in the writing.

I just thought a pure evil dude would have been fun.

edit: of course, Marvel's track record for non-sympathetic villains (Red Skull, Abomination etc) isn't so hot imo so yeah.....

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  10. AndrewGilkison

AndrewGilkison Well-Known Member

Nero did some pretty evil acts in Star Trek (destroying Spock's home planet and killing billions of its inhabitants, killing Kirks dad, among others). He was basically a terrorist, doing evil stuff and justifying it by claiming to be the victim. It takes more than a tragic past for a villain to be a sympathetic character.

11. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

yeah but joker was chaos, and basically an epic troll, and the flip side to batman's coin, not just cackling "i wanna take over the world because i'd be a totally awesome ruler" evil
    they all need their motivations, even if it's just "to watch the (batman's) world burn"

12. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

The Joker was very nicely played but he wasn't a very deep character. Depth is always better when well executed imo.

13. STR1

STR1 Well-Known Member

14. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Ledger's Joker is is very deep. Ledger didn't win an Oscar because he died, he won one because he was incredible and added layers to the agent of chaos. The performance is incredibly nuanced. How he tells his stories, how be plays with his knives, his choice of words, how he handles different people. He seems shaky, portraying himself almost as someone who doesn't quite know what he is doing in his first meeting with the mob. Then his entire demeanor takes on a much darker ton with the body bag scene. His entire time in the GPD is incredible. From the first sight of him in the jail cell to his explosive exit.

Ledger and Nolan made the Joker a reflection of their take on Batman. He is both a response and result of The Dark Knight. In his efforts to stop the mafia he created chaos, he created the freak.

15. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

The poster who supposedly saw the film thought Kurse's fight with Thor was better than Malekith's. That's kinda hard to believe due to Malekith having all these magical powers not to mention that his fight will take to the skies as well as the ground.

16. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I think you're just saying that due to a certain..bias.

17. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I think we look at depth differently. I mean that I don't get any deep insights into what motivates him (the "some men just want to watch the world burn" explanation is a shallow one). The performance is very layered but for depth of character I think motivation is a very significant part. The Joker isn't meant to be understood, as far as I gather, but that doesn't change that there are deeper characters in the world of movies.

As for winning an award, I don't put much stock in the Academy at all, even when I happen to agree with them. So much politics and other aspects that are separated from what it should be (and yes, I do think his death was a significant factor), and it's of course also mainly a national thing where the movies of the rest of the world play a minor part. That doesn't stop me from having the opinion that Ledger was absolutely fantastic in the role. For me his Joker is the reason to watch that movie and I keep longing for him to come on screen when the movie focuses on other things.

And I think you've been too exposed to fan wars to jump to that simplistic conclusion. I didn't compare him to Malekith as I have no definitive opinion at all about him before seeing the movie. Especially as I'm not watching any promotional things after the second trailer, so I've hardly seen him.

Ledger's Joker is one of my three favorite superhero movie villains (and I don't rank those), so I'm in no way biased against him. I just happen to think that grey characters with conflicting motivations are the most interesting ones, and I think villains that I can identify with, or agree with, on some level make for better experiences. I do not particularly care for just "good vs evil", even though that's been done well too.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  18. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

Joker was interesting but he didn't have depth...he had no motivation, no one knew what made him tick...his complete lack of depth is actually what made him interesting...he was crazy and chaotic,....pure and simple.

Not the stereotypical I want to rule the world and get money kind of evil just....evil...for evil's sake

19. warriorking

warriorking Well-Known Member

:doh: Plus any 8 year old with a gun could have taken the joker out..
    Malekith on the other hand is way beyond anything the joker ever posed..

20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Malekith was a Great Villain. Really menacing.

21. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

Great? He's terrible. Not that that's his fault, he isn't on screen long enough to flesh out. Why is he doing what he does? What motivates him. Terrible and a waste of a talented actor.

22. jmc

jmc away for a while

He's one dimensional.

23. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

He also doesn't have much personality. He was very stoic. Replace him to a robot and the movie is still the same.

24. jmc

jmc away for a while

More or less. That said, the first act short changes a lot of characters, so maybe there's something on the cutting room floor. I'm actually curious to know how much footage was removed from the movie, it really feels like there are parts missing in the first act.

25. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

Imho the best villians are the one that from their point of view their plan makes perfect sense and whilst you can't condone their actions you can at least 'understand' their point of view.

What's Malekith point of view? The movie would have been far better if it had simply said he is a agent/herald of a higher authority and basically a pawn in a larger scheme at least that way you can pass the buck with regards to motivation.
    For me Malekith is the worst comic book movie villian since the Chitauri.