Classic Nick Fury vs Ultimate Nick Fury

FaT_tONle

Avenger
Reaction score
I don't want to beat a dead horse on an old debate but the idea came to me at a discussion over at the X-Men boards. As indicated by recent set pictures... Wolverine MIGHT have a WW2 scene. We already know in all likelyhood... Captain America will be a period piece. Now that we have Ultimate Nick Fury for modern times... could you guys see a scenario where they use classic Nick Fury for a period piece during WW2. You can sort of explain that the SHIELD director takes the alias Nick Fury and that the original Nick Fury lived during the WW2/Cold War era while Sam Jackson/Ultimate Fury was the next Fury in line that took over in the modern era. Just an outlandish thought. I am just curious because a lot of people were disappointed when they went with Ultimate Nick Fury over the more classic versions. So why not just save the classic Fury for the Marvel films that are period pieces... most notably Captain America?

hmmm...not sure I like that idea. Saying he took the name kind of takes away some of the badassness of the ultimate character.

That can work and if not then they can always just give Sam's Fury the regular origin. Infinity formula to help with the aging and all.

That can work and if not then they can always just give Sam's Fury the regular origin. Infinity formula to help with the aging and all.

You know... while that is true... how many times are these writers going to come up with these super soldier/rejuvination therapies/ever lasting youth pills and at the same time make it legitimate? I would like the think the one exception we will be making as far as ressurecting someone from WW2 should be Cap and maybe Red Skull. Those should be the ONLY characters worth resurrecting. If we keep bringing back characters that supposedly lived decades ago back to the modern world it kind of gets kind of silly. Lets reserve that right for Cap and that's all. I wouldn't even bring back Red Skull. I get these are comic books and people never die but we need to keep it realistic for the movie audience as well. I want future movies to explore the WW2 era of the Marvel universe as well. I think we need a character like classic Nick Fury especially if Marvel intends to expand on that time. While it isn't completely neccessary it could be interesting. Also Nick Fury doesn't need to be an alias. They can tweak it. Maybe the next Fury in line is chosen at a really young age. It works better than being stuck with Sam forever and having to by the fact that he is juiced up on rejuvination therapies.

The only issue with all of this is that Wolverine is a FOX production so they can have the 616 Fury in it. And Marvel/Paramount has the Sam Jackson Fury for their movies. So Cap won't be in Wolverine and I doubt Fury will either.

I had the idea of Samuel L. Jackson's fury being named after, or taking on the name of the classic Fury back when he was first rumoured, but to be honest, it IS a bit of a stretch. I just wish that they had chosen a similar but different name for the Ultimates version when they originally came up with the character like "Jack Riot" or something like that so that they could both co-exist without stepping on each others toes. Because the truth is, both the 616 and Ultimates Nick Fury are really great characters, and it's bittersweet that the inclusion of one means the exclusion of the other.

I kind of wish they would have used the original Nick Fury cause I thought he was more bad ass. But since nearly every Marvel movie uses Ultimates as their layouts I guess Ultimate Nick Fury is fine.

The only issue with all of this is that Wolverine is a FOX production so they can have the 616 Fury in it. And Marvel/Paramount has the Sam Jackson Fury for their movies. So Cap won't be in Wolverine and I doubt Fury will either.

Well this is a question down the road that won't be answered now... but would Marvel eventually want to connect the X-Men universe with their current universe? They obviously can't do that now... but when they get the rights back it would make sense, no? I am not saying we need 616 Fury in Wolverine. Fox can't use either Cap OR 616 Fury because they don't have the rights... but when Marvel eventually gets the rights back to all those characters... would they want to maintain continuity with Fox's previous X-Men films? That's a question no one can answer yet.

I had the idea of Samuel L. Jackson's fury being named after, or taking on the name of the classic Fury back when he was first rumoured, but to be honest, it IS a bit of a stretch. I just wish that they had chosen a similar but different name for the Ultimates version when they originally came up with the character like "Jack Riot" or something like that so that they could both co-exist without stepping on each others toes. Because the truth is, both the 616 and Ultimates Nick Fury are really great characters, and it's bittersweet that the inclusion of one means the exclusion of the other.

THe only barrier audiences have to get over is that they have the same names... all you have to do is explain that Nick Fury is the name that the SHIELD's enemies fear and they want to maintain that name through their chief director at all times. Just a thought.

I feel your voting is unfair.You have no option for no Ultimate Fury and just Classic Fury
like in the first option but just reversed.

Stick with Classic Fury and don't use Ultimate Fury at all.

Yeah but there are obvious limitations to that now that Marvel has established that the current Nick Fury is more geared to Ultimate Nick Fury and they can't deviate from that now.

Don't use Nick Fury in any period piece.

They've already set up Ultimate Fury, so for continuitys sake, they should use him in any movie, whether it be a WWII Howling Commandos movie or a modern SHIELD movie.

Well we already had the classic looking nick fury with David Hasselhauf so why not try something new?

I feel your voting is unfair.You have no option for no Ultimate Fury and just Classic Fury
like in the first option but just reversed.

The option is probably not up there because it's not an option anymore.

I kind of wish they would have used the original Nick Fury cause I thought he was more bad ass. But since nearly every Marvel movie uses Ultimates as their layouts I guess Ultimate Nick Fury is fine.

Yup, I agree. Although certain people on these boards will try to remind you ad nausiem that there is no distinction between 616 and ultimate when it comes to the movies; they are a combination of the best of both - or at least they are when it suits them.

If there is an aspect that they don't agree with, suddenly faithfulness to the source material becomes real important i.e, the Thor costume.

That's what I would have liked too but it doesnt likely because.........

They've already set up Ultimate Fury, so for continuitys sake, they should use him in any movie, whether it be a WWII Howling Commandos movie or a modern SHIELD movie.

Exactly. I would prefer Classic but as Ultimate Fury's has already been set up, let's see some more.

Well we already had the classic looking nick fury with David Hasselhauf so why not try something new?

Um..........because they used David Hasselhoff? Reason enough to do it again - only properly. :cwink:

Keep one Fury per time period, the only reason they had the whole infinity formula in 616 is because Fury had been realistically used since WWII, and since they needed a reason why after the declared the current marvel period far separate from WWII (as for the return of cap) they had to come up with something. There is no need at all to repeat it. The only reason was to have things make sense, it won't make sense if you do this whole time thing

I say keep Sam Jackson as Nick Fury as he is m****in Sam Jackson. Seriously, it would just be silly if there were two Nick Furys running around the Marvel movie universe.

As for Wolverine and Spidey for that matter, I like to think they are all in the Marvel movie universe, they just don't get any nods (after all doesn't JJJ mention Dr. Strange in Spider-Man 2? And isn't the president of X2 featured in a picture in FF? Albeit I'd leave FF behind).

I will say if Avengers is a huge hit and they make a sequel, I wouldn't be surprised to promote future installments if Sony and Fox want some of their key characters to have cameos in it and would be willing to cut a deal (though nothing more than like a scene for Peter Parker or something).

But by the time Marvel gets the rights back to X-Men and Spidey the superhero genre will have died or at least gone into a dormant state for a decade or two, so don't expect to see them in Marvel group movies anytime soon. My best hope is if Avengers is a smash, Fox and Sony may agree to Tony Stark-in-Hulk sized cameos for an Avengers sequel.

We can only hope that superhero movies have become a genre all their own like period, western, and sci-fi movies. I don't think I'd like it if they just flat out stopped making a type of movie for decades on end. I think superhero movies are here to stay. We've been through both the worst and the best and so far the good outweigh the bad (imo at least).

Seriously though, how many westerns have there been in the last 30 years? Not very many. We are going through a musical revival right now, but what about the 1970s through 1990s? Horror movies come in waves and cycles.

And then there are entire movements and subgenres within themselves. The French New Wave, German Expressionism, American Film Noir, Italian Neo-Realism, etc.

I could see superheroes being a type of movie that comes back strong for a decade and then liles dormant the next. It could be resilient like the western which never died, but is a very rare breed. Still I don't see there being like 3 superhero movies every summer indef. It will be bled dry by Hollywood and Marvel just as war and disaster movies were in the 1990s.

It's a bit naive to think they will interwine a universe that connects everything like that Crowe... I mean when you look at these other studios... there is no guarantee that they are even going to be staying in their OWN continuity let alone Marvel Universe continuity. How stupid does it look getting a Peter Parker/Tobey cameo in Hulk if SM4 ends up being a revamp with a different version of Parker. Not totally out of the realm. It's not feasible IMO. Look I am fine leaving it to assumption. I can assume that it is NOT UNLIKELY and it is indeed possible for cross studio characters to co-exist in the same world. Nothing as of yet contradicts such a theory. That said, I don't need the cameos every five minutes. It gets cheezy after a while.

So back to Fury... yeah Marvel Studios is its own universe right now. So go with the infinitey formula... better yet... Sam Jackson probably won't be in Cap or any period piece for that matter. I am suprised that last option isn't more selected. I don't we have time getting into a possible Fury in WW2 background. It can be written out.

Keep Sam we need a black Marvel guy (that can cross-over) until Luke Cage or Black Panther. Though I'd prefer we don't see him in WWII.

It's a bit naive to think they will interwine a universe that connects everything like that Crowe... I mean when you look at these other studios... there is no guarantee that they are even going to be staying in their OWN continuity let alone Marvel Universe continuity. How stupid does it look getting a Peter Parker/Tobey cameo in Hulk if SM4 ends up being a revamp with a different version of Parker. Not totally out of the realm. It's not feasible IMO. Look I am fine leaving it to assumption. I can assume that it is NOT UNLIKELY and it is indeed possible for cross studio characters to co-exist in the same world. Nothing as of yet contradicts such a theory. That said, I don't need the cameos every five minutes. It gets cheezy after a while.

So back to Fury... yeah Marvel Studios is its own universe right now. So go with the infinitey formula... better yet... Sam Jackson probably won't be in Cap or any period piece for that matter. I am suprised that last option isn't more selected. I don't we have time getting into a possible Fury in WW2 background. It can be written out.

I am not saying I think it would happen. In fact I doubt to ever see Spidey or X-Men in one of Marvel's in-house produced films in this cycle of superhero movies (the next ten years, anyway). But as you raised the question in your original post, I responded accordingly and said the best you can hope for is a cameo if these cross over movies (i.e. The Avengers) prove wildly popular. And who said Tobey Maguire? By the time Avengers 2 (if there is an Avengers 2) comes out I'm sure Tobey will have long since hanged up the webs as it will be at least 2013! I highly doubt by that time Jackman will still be going bezerk either. Albeit the fanboy dream (which I obviously disagree with) that somehow SM and/or X-Men will be rebooted with their next installments are also just as unlikely. Even if Maguire is recast in SM4, don't expect a reboot. And if that is the case if Maguire had ended up in TIH like Letterer wanted (which was naive), it would not invalidate it as SM4 is still 3 years off at least and the cameo would have been just as legitimate as the previous three films.

But do I think Fox or Sony characters will appear in Marvel Studio's own films? More than likely not. Just making conversation as that is what this thread was partially about.

As for Nick Fury I don't want to see him in a Cap America movie. It would be silly and arbitrary. We already have two characters coming back from the 1940s, we don't need a third to increase the implausibility. I do hope Fury has a supporting role in Iron Man 2 though to help set up the Avengers movie.

I don't want to beat a dead horse on an old debate but the idea came to me at a discussion over at the X-Men boards. As indicated by recent set pictures... Wolverine MIGHT have a WW2 scene. We already know in all likelyhood... Captain America will be a period piece. Now that we have Ultimate Nick Fury for modern times... could you guys see a scenario where they use classic Nick Fury for a period piece during WW2. You can sort of explain that the SHIELD director takes the alias Nick Fury and that the original Nick Fury lived during the WW2/Cold War era while Sam Jackson/Ultimate Fury was the next Fury in line that took over in the modern era. Just an outlandish thought. I am just curious because a lot of people were disappointed when they went with Ultimate Nick Fury over the more classic versions. So why not just save the classic Fury for the Marvel films that are period pieces... most notably Captain America?
You have to think before posts like this. Cap wont be in Wolverine, because Fox doesnt have the liscence. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"