Days of Future Past Classic Professor X: The Patrick Stewart Thread

I really liked the way Stewart acted in the final scene. It was a very serious moment when Logan was walking around the mansion and seeing everyone alive, and then bam we have Scott being Scott and then Professor X acting totally different than how grim he was in the prior timeline. I thought it was very good humor and added to the hopefulness and the warmth of the future.

Did anyone feel that Stewart was channeling a little bit of McAvoys performance in the altered future epilogue.

Just the way he addressed Logan and tossed his book away, this seemed like a different Prof than what we've seen...most likely because his life has significantly less tragedy to it with Logan having averted the bad future.
Interesting. It's possible; I saw an interview with Patrick and he said that he loved James' performance so much that if he had the chance to play the character all over again, he would like to give Charles some McAvoy touches.

i'll watch the film again tonight and pay attention to this scene. :cwink:

It's definitely a very different Xavier at the end. Huge kudos to Patrick Stewart for such a subtle change that makes a huge difference

Did anyone feel that Stewart was channeling a little bit of McAvoys performance in the altered future epilogue.

Just the way he addressed Logan and tossed his book away, this seemed like a different Prof than what we've seen...most likely because his life has significantly less tragedy to it with Logan having averted the bad future.

A little bit? I thought McAvoy's performance was a spitting image of what a young version of Stewart's Professor X would be like, every since the start of First Class. I totally bought it was the exact same character but just younger. It was both scary and amazing. I didn't get that exact same feeling with DOFP's Xaviers, but that makes sense since McAvoy's Xavier is at a point in his life when he's fallen from where we usually see Professor X at.

However, I do agree with you that final scene perfectly solidified the similarities between both versions of the character.

smith2-1024x767.jpg

This is from a Smithsonian exhibit.
EDIT: the image does not seem to be appearing so here's the link, http://x-menfilms.com/patrick-stewa...s-of-future-past-costumes-to-the-smithsonian/

Last edited:
I really liked the way Stewart acted in the final scene. It was a very serious moment when Logan was walking around the mansion and seeing everyone alive, and then bam we have Scott being Scott and then Professor X acting totally different than how grim he was in the prior timeline. I thought it was very good humor and added to the hopefulness and the warmth of the future.

Definitely. In fact, and I don't even know on how to explain this myself...it felt like the first time where I could truly buy that James's Charles would become this man.

Given on how the prequels were made later and how continuity isn't the franchises's strongest point, I had the hardest time in fully buying that James's Charles would grow into Patrick's one for some reason...but when I saw the final scene with Patrick, it really felt like it was James's Charles that Wolverine was reuniting with...the one that he had just experienced all of those things with back in the 70's.

On another note, I was glad to see Patrick's version of prof x actually make a reference to his character's past with raven. It actually felt like the circle was now complete on that end. And it kind of gives a new perspective on the original trilogy since one could now imagine that the old prof x had given up on raven by the time the events of the first film takes place, whch makes it more tragic when you see the toll of her leaving him took on his mind in dofp

In contrast to what some other people have said, I think Prof X in the future wasn't at all useless. :) He was the one who made a final push to the younger Prof X to go on and use his power to find Mystique and stop her.

Plus, the Magneto and Prof X holding hands together when the Sentinels was just... :(

In contrast to what some other people have said, I think Prof X in the future wasn't at all useless. He was the one who made a final push to the younger Prof X to go on and use his power to find Mystique and stop her.

Exactly!

It might just be me, but I felt like it was a wasted opportunity to allow patrick to have action scenes and buy action I mean . . . Legs. I get the whole other body being in a coma for a long time, the reason why his new body couldn't walk, but the future is so advanced wouldn't they have mechanical legs for him? Like in W:and the x-men. The poor guy is always in a wheel chair, he could have a cool action scene give him mechanical legs and a gun and he is set.

When the first pictures were released, I was puzzled why they had Professor X in the chair. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to have him walking (after the X3 explanation of how he was alive). But the hoverchair was so freaking cool that I don't really mind.

I wanted him to fly around in that chair firing rockets out of it...:joker::funny:

It might just be me, but I felt like it was a wasted opportunity to allow patrick to have action scenes and buy action I mean . . . Legs. I get the whole other body being in a coma for a long time, the reason why his new body couldn't walk, but the future is so advanced wouldn't they have mechanical legs for him? Like in W:and the x-men. The poor guy is always in a wheel chair, he could have a cool action scene give him mechanical legs and a gun and he is set.

tumblr_lmeh60wi7L1qablrx.gif

this was so rawflz i looked up the rest of this guys posts.

Whaaaaaaaaat? :wow:

Mechanical legs and and guns for Prof X? We might as well have this guy right here to play the younger Charles:

terminator_3_robot_head.jpg

:grin:
:grin:

The Stewart/McAvoy scene...simple though it was, may be the most beautiful scene I've ever seen in a superhero film. Just...perfect.

What exactly were the subtle differences in Stewart's performance at the end that made him seem more like McAvoy?

Also, have any of the X-Men films (eg the Wolverine) explained why Xavier is alive now in the future when the Sentinels are attacking when he was seen to have died in X-Men 3? Are we just supposed to assume a lot from the post-credits sequence in X3? But wasn't that body burnt or something?

For anyone in the general audience who didn't connect all the dots, wouldn't they wonder how Xavier is alive all of a sudden, since at this point the future (and present) hasn't been changed because Wolverine hasn't been sent back in time yet (and doesn't seem to have any bearing on Xavier's existence anyway)?

I wish McAvoy would have been influenced by Stewart in the Cerebro scene with Wolverine. Every time he delivers that "I don't want your FUUUU -ture!" line I cringe. Too over the top for me. Professor DIVA. His scene on the plane with Mags was also a bit borderline for me. Overall good performance though.

McAvoy gave my favorite performance in FC, where in that film I thought he was pitch perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"