Closure on the Spidey Marriage

SouLeSS

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/002865580.cfm said:
2007 PREVIEW: 'SPIDER-MAN: ONE MORE DAY'
JMS and Joe Quesada join forces to change everything you know about Marvel’s greatest hero

By Mike Cotton

Posted December 21, 2006 2:25 PM

In August, a great Spider-Man era ends—and a new one will begin..

Writer J. Michael Straczynski will end his six-year run on the character’s premiere title, Amazing Spider-Man, by crafting a new beginning for the Wall-crawler in a four-issue storyline known simply, and mysteriously, as “One More Day.”

Teaming with artist and Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada (Daredevil: Father), Straczynki will take over writing all three Spider-Man titles for the month, crafting a four-part crossover that redefines the hero and his status quo—both personally and as a costumed vigilante—in the Marvel Universe post-Civil War. Just don’t call it an “event.”

“It’s not an event,” insists Quesada of “One More Day.” “It’s a reinvigoration of the Spider-Man line. Now that we’re past Civil War, we’re looking at all the major icons again. We’re saying, ‘Okay, how do you freshen these guys up, polish them up and keep Marvel the top comic book company in the world?’”

The answer came in familiar form: JMS. “Joe [Straczynski] is going to go out with a bang and a tear,” Quesada continues. “It’s going to be absolutely-gut wrenching.” Expect the storyline to play off Straczynski’s 60-plus issue tenure on the title. “Joe’s had a legendary run. There’s a scene from Joe’s first year that, when you see ‘One More Day,’ you’ll go, ‘Oh, my God!’ He ties things up perfectly. He knows exactly where his story ends.”

While Quesada won’t confirm what the “One More Day” tag refers to, he did reveal that the story will tackle the controversial marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane head-on. Some fans see the couple’s 1987 exchange of vows as a staple of the modern comic book era, while others see it as one of the biggest flaws in current Spidey continuity. Quesada says he can’t confirm whether Marvel plans to kill off MJ, divorce the pair or use some other means to shake up the happy couple, but he did say that there will be resolution by the time the covers close on the story’s fourth and final issue. “This will be the final word on the marriage,” Quesada teases. “It will leave no lingering doubts on what’s going on with Mary Jane and Peter.”

To put a definitive stamp on the Spider-Man legacy, Quesada isn’t just overseeing “One More Day”—he’s drawing it. The artist says the biggest thrill he’s gotten so far is realizing, after years of association with Daredevil, how much he enjoys drawing Marvel’s most recognizable character.

“I’ve never really had a chance to draw Spider-Man,” admits Quesada. “I got my start on kind of B- and C-list characters. I really enjoyed taking characters like that and making them hot commodities. I never gravitated towards X-Men or Spider-Man. I never thought I had much to offer when it came to the big name characters. But when I started drawing ‘One More Day,’ I realized how much fun I was having drawing Spider-Man. I thought I was a Batman artist,” concludes the one-time Batman: Sword of Azrael penciler, “but deep in my heart, I’m a Spider-Man guy.”

Since the four issues are planned to redefine Peter Parker and his casts’ roles in the Marvel Universe, Quesada says he’s undergoing a trial by fire in drawing an onslaught of output from the House of Ideas.

“We are going to take a romp through the Marvel Universe,” says Quesada with glee. “One of the issues features Dr. Strange; he’s very important to the story. Iron Man and Reed Richards are showing up during these issues as well.” And the EIC says he owes it all to JMS. “Joe [Straczynski] is giving me a crash course in the Marvel Universe. ‘It’s sink or swim, kid,’ he likes to say. I’m just trying to keep up with him.”

Don't know if this got posted or not already, I havn't seen anything liek it, but then again "Contest of Marvels" and like threads take up half of the first page so...

Hasn't Quesada said he wouldn't kill off MJ or divorce them because that would just be worse at this time. I hope for once, Quesada keeps his word.

Hey look on the bright side joeQ is drawing it so it's not as if the story will be over for another few years given his deadline meeting abities...

Hey look on the bright side joeQ is drawing it so it's not as if the story will be over for another few years given his deadline meeting abities...

Oh snap, oh no you didn't.:wow:

So if MJ comes out and says that their marriage was never legal, that the ceremony was all an act they can split up without it being a divorce, right?:whatever:

Others see it as the biggest flaw?

Give me a ****ing break, JOE Q sees is as a flaw not anyone else (aside from a distinct and very minor minority). Jebus if they go through with this I'm not picking up Spider-Man again.

“This will be the final word on the marriage,” Quesada teases. “It will leave no lingering doubts on what’s going on with Mary Jane and Peter.”

Um Joey Q, you might as well stop production on this right now. I have no doubts about their marriage, at all.:up:

Others see it as the biggest flaw?

Give me a ****ing break, JOE Q sees is as a flaw not anyone else (aside from a distinct and very minor minority). Jebus if they go through with this I'm not picking up Spider-Man again.

Actually, you'd be surprised. The marriage isnt as popular as you may think it is.

What if "One More Day" means if Peter could have just one more day with her, since he will never spend another day with her again, because she's dead.

Maybe that Sniper hits his target.

What if "One More Day" means if Peter could have just one more day with her, since he will never spend another day with her again, because she's dead.

Maybe that Sniper hits his target.

This starts in August, the sniper issue is in April.

A lot of **** is happening right now, If MJ dies it will impact him very hard right off the bat, but what about after a couple months when you really start to realize they are never coming back, if you could just have one more day.

When my dad died, it hit me hard right from the beginning, but it took a while for it to REALLY sink in, to this day I still wish I had one last moment with him. That comic doesn't necaserrily have to take place right after the shooting, it could take plave 2 years from now. Plus in Marvel time April to August isn't that long, thats when we get the comic, not exactly when thing take place in the MU. Who knows maybe MJ and Aunt May will survive.

This starts in August, the sniper issue is in April.

I agree it's probably not the same thing as that article had JQ saying he didn't even know himself how it will end. Just couldn't help myself tho :woot:.

The answer came in familiar form: JMS. “Joe [Straczynski] is going to go out with a bang and a tear,”

AmazingSpiderMan537-2.JPG

Easy one guys.

'MJ' = Super Skrull.

The real MJ's been in cryostasis for the last 25 years.

... Where she got put after Norman Osborne got her pregnant.

... with BEN O'REILLY'S BABY!!!

... I added those last couple things on hoping it would stop sounding like something that Marvel would actually do. No luck whatsoever.

If MJ doesn't die and the marriage is indeed broken up, my guess Spiderman calls it quits himself and makes the choice. He's on the run, probably doesn't see himself being able to be with, or around MJ anytime soon, and he will probably make a call to save her the heartache and break off the marriage.

Either way it looks like Spidey is in for a rough year. The Civil War probably won't end pretty, he goes back to the black suit for a reason, he apparently goes into depression, and now after all the rumors it does look like his marriage is over. Apparently his entire status in Marvel is going to change one way or the other. This is either going to give us some interesting stories, or really murk Spiderman up and turn him emo like he has no feelings or something.

I agree it's probably not the same thing as that article had JQ saying he didn't even know himself how it will end. Just couldn't help myself tho :woot:.

So MJ's right hip and Aunt May's left knee are in big trouble then...:oldrazz::woot:

Seriously though, I hope they dont kill off either of them,...however...given Quesada's dislike of the marriage, the imminent return of the black costume and JMS's rampant ego I am worried for them :csad:

Maybe MJ will be shot, and she will fall into a coma, and eventually die months later.

So MJ's right hip and Aunt May's left knee are in big trouble then...:oldrazz::woot:

Seriously though, I hope they dont kill off either of them,...however...given Quesada's dislike of the marriage, the imminent return of the black costume and JMS's rampant ego I am worried for them :csad:

The reason the pic is like that is so Marvel could leave us hanging as to who will be shot. Whoever this guys is he's a sniper, he knows what to aim for.

The reason the pic is like that is so Marvel could leave us hanging as to who will be shot. Whoever this guys is he's a sniper, he knows what to aim for.

....The smilies I used after that line were to indicate I was just joking. You were not supposed to take the comment seriously.

Obviously, the sniper is just lining up his sights, and I think he is under orders to take both of them down anyway.

My god... If they divorce them or kill her off... I give up Spidey comics.

....The smilies I used after that line were to indicate I was just joking. You were not supposed to take the comment seriously.

Obviously, the sniper is just lining up his sights, and I think he is under orders to take both of them down anyway.

Really is that what the smiles are for, you dont say.:whatever:

It's very likely since they say that Dr. Strange plays a large part in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"