Coming 2 America

Looking it up they had Barris and the 2 writers from the original movie (also wrote Boomerang and Nutty Professor). So I guess maybe that explains why so many of the jokes were recycled bits from the original :shrug:

They also hadn't written a produced movie since 2005's The Honeymooners remake. And their last movie before that was The Klumps in 2000. And their last well received movie was Nutty Professor 1 in 1996. That's a long time, 13 years for a produced movie and ~20 years since an even decently received movie... maybe their comedy skills weren't as sharp so they relied on callbacks?

Idk I'm trying to throw them a bone

You can kinda see some hints of his style here and there, I've seen all three of the shows, Barbershop the next cut, ad reluctantly the witches and shaft lol.
Didn't know he wrote Barbershop 3 or the new Shaft. I liked both of those. I would say those are way more his style than this and even then if you didn't tell me I wouldn't say "Oh that's Barris' work". EDIT: Oh he also wrote Girls Trip which was cool

He doesn't have that distinct of a style. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not like when I hear Sorkin dialogue I know it's him or even using comedic examples he's not like Apatow, Rogen & Goldberg, or Aaron McGruder

But this remind me that he's involved with the Pryor biopic and what he's been turning out recently doesn't inspire hope there

Looking it up they had Barris and the 2 writers from the original movie (also wrote Boomerang and Nutty Professor). So I guess maybe that explains why so many of the jokes were recycled bits from the original :shrug:

They also hadn't written a produced movie since 2005's The Honeymooners remake. And their last movie before that was The Klumps in 2000. And their last well received movie was Nutty Professor 1 in 1996. That's a long time, 13 years for a produced movie and ~20 years since an even decently received movie... maybe their comedy skills weren't as sharp so they relied on callbacks?

Idk I'm trying to throw them a bone

Eddie in interviews said that the three of them (Eddie and the two original writers) worked on the script for the past four years and cracked the structure but it was Barris that ultimately rewrote within their structure and satisfied Eddie to finally make the movie.

i re watched it last night with a friend and even tho Rick Baker did not do the makeup the guy who did it for this really captured his style and made the older versions of those characters look great. and the new character Arsenio did was really good i could hardly tell it was him wow.

That sums up my thoughts perfectly. I agree with everything except kinda the number rating
I try not to put numbers to movies anymore but it's like a 5-6/10 for me. Leaving the theater it would've been like a 4-5 I would guess

I honestly probably need to stop using a numbering system because it varies so much movie to movie. Like I'm pretty sure I said Wonder Woman 84 is a 7/10 but I have C2A a 6/10 and I don't think they're that close at all.

I think what might aggravate me the most looking at C2A big picture wise is it could have been way better but it feels like they were like how silly can we make this. While the first movie had some silliness in it, it is more sincere I guess you could say.

The original movie was very much a product of its time, but it's one of those solid 80s type movies. They don't really make those type of films anymore. It was like one of those big event original comedies. It's a movie that's so good you can revisit it again and again.

Also most of the original movie was set in New York, so it had a bit more of a grounded premise of a privileged rich kid slumming it among the everyday people for the first time.

I rewatched Bill and Ted Face the Music, and between that and this movie, I think Coming 2 America did a better job of revisiting the characters.

The original movie was very much a product of its time, but it's one of those solid 80s type movies. They don't really make those type of films anymore. It was like one of those big event original comedies. It's a movie that's so good you can revisit it again and again.

Also most of the original movie was set in New York, so it had a bit more of a grounded premise of a privileged rich kid slumming it among the everyday people for the first time.
I Liked this Film.
That having been said, the American bits felt a little like side trips. It irked me.

This movie was so toothless. Everything was just so bright and happy and...weak. Akeem was the one that provided joy and glow to the glum city and jaded residents that added to the charm of the character. With everyone being like him in the sequel it just made everything Disney fairy tale lameness.

The humor didn't really land fir me with this film. The plot was very predictable. I didn't hate it though.

I find a lot modern comedy films have lost a certain spark that I can't quite put my finger on. I watched the original Coming To America, Clue and Groundhog Day again recently, all those films I found so much more enjoyable than recent comedy releases.

The humor didn't really land fir me with this film. The plot was very predictable. I didn't hate it though.

I really thought it would turn out that
the guy actually wasn't Akeem's son, and Leslie Jones was lying about it... to go after all that money. But no, there was nothing more to it. The whole story seemed a bit too simple. Also Lavelle wanting to marry that other girl that fast made no sense...

It was fine, but it's a pretty forgettable movie unfortunately. I expected more

I love that one thing about this film that is universally said is how are the barber shop guys still alive lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"