Compare "Ultimate Universe" to "Marvel 616"

I like the Ultimate Universe, not as much as when it first came out, but I still enjoy it. Its cool to see different takes on the stories and the character designs. I also liked how stripped down the ideas were, the X-men are kids with mutant powers and that was really it. Spider-man and the X-men didn't go into space or anything like that, not that those Marvel stories in the regular universe aren't cool. Because they are, but I liked seeing the different approach.

As for the aging in regular Marvel, all comics do different ageing stuff.
Peter has gone from a geeky high school student to being a married man who teaches high school and takes pictures on the side or spider-Man (right?)
even though realistically he would be older than that.
Rick Grayson, Robin, went from being a little kid side kick to being an adult hero of his own while Batman is still in his 30s.
And many DC sidekicks are now adults, but started out as kids, while other characters haven't aged at all.

They age each character as they need him or her to age, and it isn't really effected by time.
If it was realistic with age in comics, many characters we read now would have died or retired a long time before we would have got to them.

Artistsean said:
I like the Ultimate Universe, not as much as when it first came out, but I still enjoy it. Its cool to see different takes on the stories and the character designs. I also liked how stripped down the ideas were, the X-men are kids with mutant powers and that was really it. Spider-man and the X-men didn't go into space or anything like that, not that those Marvel stories in the regular universe aren't cool. Because they are, but I liked seeing the different approach.

As for the aging in regular Marvel, all comics do different ageing stuff.
Peter has gone from a geeky high school student to being a married man who teaches high school and takes pictures on the side or spider-Man (right?)
even though realistically he would be older than that.
Rick Grayson, Robin, went from being a little kid side kick to being an adult hero of his own while Batman is still in his 30s.
And many DC sidekicks are now adults, but started out as kids, while other characters haven't aged at all.

They age each character as they need him or her to age, and it isn't really effected by time.
If it was realistic with age in comics, many characters we read now would have died or retired a long time before we would have got to them.

I'll let someone else reply to this because I partially agree with him, and partilly wanna' argue. But yes, it's always good to put a new spin on things. But don't we all just wish that they would do it in a way that most of us would like it just a little bit better?

Son_of_W said:
What's wrong with The Ultimate Universe? Ultimate Fantastic Four. I kid you not, I hate this series with a passion. The original purpose of U. Marvel was to get away from ridiculous storylines and modernize the stories, and they blow it. UFF blew it like a nuclear bomb. From taking death rays for manufacturing from an alternate universe, to marvel zombies saying that U. Thing is stronger then 616 Hulk (impossible considering the fact that regular Hulk lifts well over a 100 tons, and U. Thing can only left up to about 20 tons or something). Let's not forget the constant cameos of the Ultimates that completely interfere with the storylines of the ultimate universe? Like if Nick fury can manufacture death rays, why is the united states military still trying to make super soldiers. Why aren't the amazing discoveries made every second page of UFF, why isn't the world a better place? Where the hell does a superhuman like Namor go after almost taking down a city? I HATE UFF!

I think you’re missing the point of the UFF, after all its a sci-fi series and therefore it is necessary that ist uses elements that you consider unrealistic. What the series does, and what the 616 universe fails to do, is integrate the idea of Theoretical physics (Such as String theory, many worlds, quantum theory etc), instead of using the pseudo bull**** science that is often seen in both the 616 and D.C. universes. For example the UFF obtain their powers via the breakdown of Quantum Wave functions and the many world theory. In the 616 universes they are blasted with Rays (that should have definitely killed them), and some how miraculously (magically) obtain impossible powers. IMO ones is as likely to obtain super powers by being shot at with a machine gun.

Mistress Gluon said:
UMU was meant to be more science friendly, more down to earth, approachable, and movie related. Nothing they've really done has been horrible. In fact, a lot of it is good, and not so outlandish as 616 Marvel has done in the past.

And Namor just annihilated the Fantastic Four, almost crushed a city under water, and was willing to go away with a kiss. I doubt Fury wanted to kill a few cities to prove a point.

I agree entirely, in fact i wish Marvel would abandon the 616 universe and concentrate its better writers on the ultimate one. It would be great to see the likes of Bendis, Ellis, Braubaker, Mark Miller, Carey, Wheeldon, K Vaughn and even Gaiman concentrate entirely on the Ultimate universe.

Son_of_W said:
I'll let someone else reply to this because I partially agree with him, and partilly wanna' argue. But yes, it's always good to put a new spin on things. But don't we all just wish that they would do it in a way that most of us would like it just a little bit better?

I agree, the retelling of certain stories didn't go the way I wanted some of the time. Like I had my own ideas for Ultimate Bishop and Ultimate Cable, and many others. I had an idea for Ultimate Kraven, making him much more dangerous and a threat than he is in the Ultimate comics. Sometimes though the writer will totally change a story to make it more interesting, otherwise he is just retelling the old story. thats sort of how Ultimate Spider-Man was for a while, although I loved those Ultimate stories. but thats also why I like the Ultimates, they don't really retell any Avanger's story. Parts of the ultiamte comics are bad or annoying, but alot of it can be good.

Same thing with the redesigns, I have my own ideas, and when they redesign a character I sometimes am disepointed. But alot of times the redsigns are good, or at least OK.

But I think thats the hard thing for artists and writers to do with the Ultimate Marvel comics, they have to walk the fine line between just retelling an old story and telling a totally new and completely different take on a old character or story.

What way would you like them to redo it? Do you mean the retelling of old Marvel stories or do you mean making the Ultimate comics pots and ideas better?

yahman said:
I think you’re missing the point of the UFF, after all its a sci-fi series and therefore it is necessary that ist uses elements that you consider unrealistic. What the series does, and what the 616 universe fails to do, is integrate the idea of Theoretical physics (Such as String theory, many worlds, quantum theory etc), instead of using the pseudo bull**** science that is often seen in both the 616 and D.C. universes. For example the UFF obtain their powers via the breakdown of Quantum Wave functions and the many world theory. In the 616 universes they are blasted with Rays (that should have definitely killed them), and some how miraculously (magically) obtain impossible powers. IMO ones is as likely to obtain super powers by being shot at with a machine gun.

I think this comment was mostly directed at me, so i'll respond. I'm aware of the different sciences and agree with many of the concepts you're talking about in the obtaining of powers. I don't like how the ideas are applied afterwards. Stuff after the first Doom arc started to irk me. Stuff like Zombies (which isn't really explainable by Multiple world and string theory), and pointless arcs that ended with literally no effect like President Thor, and then the Fearful arc, which not only helped make it so they'd need a HUGE retcon to get Doom back, but also screwed up the entire universe in general (if I remember, they said Doom was the most powerful human on earth, of course bypassing the fact that Hulk is more powerful, as well as several mutants like Magneto, Scarlet Witch, even the Susan Storm probably). That's what i hate about the UFF. Sure it's science fiction, but it throws itself into creating errors. Like i said, where were the reverse engineered death rays when the liberators attacked? It's my most graphic example. I tend to really enjoy most of the other series (they have their faults, most of them you couldn't miss) but I still enjoy them, but that's because they fit. UFF is trying to keep this amazing, fantastical element of benign ignorance of science for which they can do anything (like you said, impossible) while making it possible, and in many ways, public. You may continue to argue this point, that's fine, but that's my opinion and I'm not likely going to change it soon.

Son_of_W said:
I think this comment was mostly directed at me, so i'll respond. I'm aware of the different sciences and agree with many of the concepts you're talking about in the obtaining of powers. I don't like how the ideas are applied afterwards. Stuff after the first Doom arc started to irk me. Stuff like Zombies (which isn't really explainable by Multiple world and string theory), and pointless arcs that ended with literally no effect like President Thor, and then the Fearful arc, which not only helped make it so they'd need a HUGE retcon to get Doom back, but also screwed up the entire universe in general (if I remember, they said Doom was the most powerful human on earth, of course bypassing the fact that Hulk is more powerful, as well as several mutants like Magneto, Scarlet Witch, even the Susan Storm probably). That's what i hate about the UFF. Sure it's science fiction, but it throws itself into creating errors. Like i said, where were the reverse engineered death rays when the liberators attacked? It's my most graphic example. I tend to really enjoy most of the other series (they have their faults, most of them you couldn't miss) but I still enjoy them, but that's because they fit. UFF is trying to keep this amazing, fantastical element of benign ignorance of science for which they can do anything (like you said, impossible) while making it possible, and in many ways, public. You may continue to argue this point, that's fine, but that's my opinion and I'm not likely going to change it soon.

This was sort of interesting to read. Part of it has already been covered, and some of it is just coming to light.

We'll start with what has been covered. The "ray guns".

When original posed as an opposition, I stated that Reed said it was easy enough to reverse engineer. There's a few things with this. We'll start with just the standards of reverse engineering.

If anybody has ever reverse engineered something, they'd know it's not something you can do in just a couple of weeks. Because once you deconstruct it, you have to reconstruct it into something useable, or viable to you. As in, the materials that make up the "death rays" may be rare, or simply not exist on Earth. And the second point is, is that it may be only easy to Reed, not just any desk job.

Now, the other stuff.

Misuse of science. Of all people, this should primarily affect me. It doesn't, only because it's not MEANT to be real, or taken seriously. In fact, not many things should, least of all, written and drawn things merely meant to entertain people. However, they haven't really gone about and destroyed science really.

We'll start with dimensions. Shifting dimension theory. While not the most popular, it is something some consider. That dimensions float around in some fourth dimensional aspect, running into each other and such. This was used in place of String Theory or M-Theory which are the most prevalent in quantum physics.

You said something about most powerful, this kind of brings up a few points. What would be considered most powerful? Thor, with his versatility and command of the skies? Xavier, with his mental powers? Phoenix, with her mental powers? Hulk, with his strength? Sue, with her high concussion fields? Johnny, with his ability to basically incinerate anything in his path? Wanda, who can alter probability? Or Doom, who's now superstrong, and uses magic that was literally compliant with the beast they were seeking to mess with? It's just an odd question that can't be given a clear cut answer really.

hippie_hunter said:
Your opinion has officially be invalidated :o
Oh come on. If they had different names, they would still be pretty entertaining characters, the way I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"