Contest Of Marvels (Thread 1)

Please DON'T vote until JB gets his write up finished, thanks. As soon as it goes up, send me the votes.

I was just about to post to wait until Blaze's debate. I just noticed it was past Wednesday morning for me, and I thought I better put it up so to stay on schedule ....

While we're waiting for Blaze to show up, why don't we go over how lame Thanos is....

ThanosCopter.jpg

I bet he spent all night painting his name on the side...:(

The REAL Thanos getting OWNED by Squirrel Girl...

glxmas062jf.jpg

Phaedrus45 said:
I keep thinking there is more to Powder's avatar...what's that thing behind her, and what's it really doing? Does she have anything on below her??

I don't kiss and tell, my boy.....

If you think that's nice you're going to love my next few ones...:D

Desak, Slayer of Gods
Desak.gif

VS

Thanos, the Mad Titan
Thanos1.jpg

This is it. The big one. The grand finale...and it's a good ol' slobber knocker.

Desak is a powerhouse of a character. Incredibly strong and durable. Able to loose powerful blasts of energy from his eyes as well as his axe. He can fly at incredible speeds, though he doesn't fight at the same speeds.
Anyway, as far as strength goes, I'd say they're about even. Though, Thanos can increase his in unknown levels via cosmic energy manipulation as he did when he fought and killed his more powerful clone.

As for durability, there's no real proof that Desak is as durable as the Titan is. Sure, he's taken blasts from the Odin Force like nothing, but that's what he's designed to do. To resist the powers of gods. So, it would stand to reason that he'd be able to resist it thanks to the Spirit of the Gem.
He is also resistant to magical power, which is what fuels the Destroyer (Asgardian magic and the Odin Power). Not to mention in his fight with the Destroyer it wasn't even trying to kill him since it was possessed by the spirit of Terene (Desak was created by the Designate). All it did was beat on him physically and use it's energy blast once.
The Designate eventually merged the Destroyer with Desak, making him more powerful. Still, Thor was able to kill him by blowing apart his head with Mjolnir hurled with the Odin Force. So, with sufficient force it is possible to kill Desak.

On the other hand, Thanos' major claim to fame (other than his intellect) is his durability. He's one of the most durable beings in comics. He's fought Odin to a stalemate, has taken a blast from Omega (though he had force fields up on the latter one), survived a planet exploding with no damage shown, and taken a point blank blast from a Beyonder.
And force fields is something he would definitely go into battle with. Not to mention that he can increase his durability via cosmic energy manipulation as well.

As for hand to hand fighting techniques...I don't know. I'd probably say their pretty even. Desak is a formidable fighter, and so is Thanos. I can't speak for Desak, but I know Thanos is the one who personally trained Gamora, who is considered one of the greatest martial artists in the entire universe.

Far as energy blasts go, both have potent attacks. Thanos with his cosmic energy and Desak with the power from the Spirit of the Jewel. The cosmic power Thanos wields is not mystic in origin, and the Titan is no god. So, his blasts would be more effective against Desak than the Odin Force was (his gem negates godly and mystical attacks, and the Odin Force is both). As for his Tools of Ultimate Negation, it's debatable if it'd take Thanos out. When the blast hurt King Thor, he was not at full power (because the Jake Olsen/Thor had some of his power). Thanos has been said and shown to be in the High Father range of power.
The attack would hurt Thanos, but it would not take him out.

As for speed, Desak has the edge as far as flight speed goes. However, flight speed and quickness are two different things. Desak's about as quick as Thor is in a fight, so he and the Titan should be about even.

Scientific genius, the edge definitely goes to Thanos since he's pretty much a cosmic version of Reed Richards. He could bring in the often mentioned stasis gun and imprison Desak and send him into a black hole. He could use the energy orb he stole from Tyrant and turn it into a bomb to destroy the entire planet with Desak with it. Really, the possibilities are only restricted by imagination.

As for tactics, I'd also give the edge to the Titan. Desak has never really shown to use much as far as battlefield tactics go. He's the consummate warrior. Thanos though has been shown to manipulate battlefields to suit his needs in the past.

Since this is getting long in the tooth, I'll wrap it up. Desak is a physical beast with potent ranged attacks, but his immunity to godly attacks and mystic attacks would be useless here. He's durable, but he's never been shown to be as durable as Thanos. Few beings, not including cosmic gods, have.
Both times Desak was killed was by physical blows (the Blood Axe being the first time and a Odin Force pushed Mjolnir the second time when he was merged with the Destroyer).

It should be a good fight, but Thanos' genius is the kicker, as always. With twenty-four hours to prepare for this fight, Thanos should take this.

POWdER-man said:
If voting could off for a brief rebuttal in about an hour, since we held off for Blaze...

First thing I want to mention before I go, this Bio lists Thanos and Desak as similiar which is why I say their durability is comparable.

http://www.immortalthor.net/bio-desak.html
http://www.immortalthor.net/bio-thanos.html
That's an internet bio though. In the comics Desak has never shown feats of durability comparible to the Titan that weren't due to his immunity to godly and/or mystical attacks.

Why don't we have voting start tomorrow morning and end late Friday night. That way,both of you can do rebutting (if that's a word).

Couple of things I want to point out:

1. Yes Desak nearly took out a weaker Jake/Olsen Thor, but right after that he faces a fully powered King Thor and has his way with him and nearly kills him. As well as in the future he takes him on again and puts him to shame while fighting several other gods around including Magni.
2. Mystical and godly powers is one thing that he has immunity towards, yes. But do you consider throwing a physical punch a mystical attack? I hope you consider that for a moment before answering. Punches thrown by the Destroyer, King Thor, Magni are all physical attacks. Same as Mjolnir, it does have mystical properties when Thor uses when throwing, or when he calls upon the power of the storm. But when in it's in his hand it's the same as any weapon, and would hit hard especially with physical force and strength behind it.

3. Plus here is something interesting, the definition of the Odinpower. As the Lord of Asgard, Thor possessed the Odinpower, which enabled him to tap into near-infinite resources of cosmic and mystical power.

So the Odinpower is partially cosmic force and he has taken the full energy (including getting it shot down his throat). And there are few things that equal the full might of the Odinforce, and this included a version of Thor with a lot more power than the current version.

4. And the fight with the Destroyer, it was not holding back at the beginning if you saw the pages. Yes it was possessed by the Designate but take a look at those pages, he was hitting fast and hard, eventually when the gem was glowing and seemingly connected with the Destroyer it started holding back but certainly not at the begining. And just like the Odinpower, the blast is not mystical as it's powerful energy bursts are simply immensely powerful bolts of energy, magnetism, heat, and concussive force.

The Destroyer went full out and came out of nowhere slugging him as hard as it could, it hit him so hard it knocked him right through half the buildings of Asguard and Desak just immediately got up and continued fighting. If that doesn't show how durable he is than I am not sure what would....

5. Thanos might increase his strength, but even than it wouldn't be as much as the Destroyer. Thanos could put up shields but I don't see him putting up his shields in a fight. Thanos just doesn't seem like the type to hide behind a shield. Even when he had the Inifinty Gauntlet he fought Marvel's heroes just to proove he is stronger. Thanos' own pride wouldn't let him win in such a manner.

6. Thanos is an Eternal and the definition of an Eternal is.

1. Being without beginning or end; existing outside of time.
2. Continuing without interruption; perpetual.
3. Forever true or changeless: eternal truths.
4. Seemingly endless; interminable. See Synonyms at ageless, continual.
5. Of or relating to spiritual communion with God.
1. Something timeless, uninterrupted, or endless.
2. Eternal God.

Plus how has Thanos augmented his powers? Through mystical means. So I think Thanos would be considered similar enough to a god as you could get. Desak can 'feel" if a being has great power, and with great power Desak believes that it corrupts all, and Thanos is already corrupt. If Thanos is considered 'godly" enough for Desak than there is good potential his powers would be completely immune.

7. Using the reference that he got killed by Mjolnir charged by the Odinforce, while at King Thor's last straw at the near the end of the series, in a Thor book, where Desak HAD to be killed was an an option they had to do to bring balance back to the Universe. The writers had no choice, although if you actually think about it and look at the facts, it was just simply bad writing. If Desak, now more powerful than ever with the armour and power of the Destroyer, after he just took the full force of the Odinpower previously, and knocked away Mjolnir without even paying attention to it, than he should have had no problem holding the combination of the two.

But it did happen which I can't deny, no matter how dumb it was. But of course WE ARE talking about the combined full power of the Odinforce and Mjolnir, which is definitely no small amount of power.

8. Thanos HAS been beaten before including by Thor, and that was Thanos had the Stone of Illumination. Thanos is certainly a handful but he can be beaten especially this close to the Ultimate power the winner of the Contest of Marvels. Thanos' subconscious will not let him win this, he will lose either by the mere might of Desak or by Thanos' own undoing.

thor2-025pic4.gif

So with that said, Desak is definitely adequate in taking Thanos' blasts and hold up against fighting him physically and battle tactically. I really think this match could last for days, one that would put each to it's limit. But as the smoke clears the Godslayer can take the tTitan if the God can take Titan if the the Godslayer can take the God...;)

WINNER DESAK

Voting will now be delayed until tomorrow morning which I will announce. There will not be any further delays to the schedule and voting will still end on Saturday evening, as to give sufficient time for everyone who wants to vote a chance to vote...

So says POWdER....:o

:D

Voting Begins

REMINDER TO PM JewishHobbit YOUR VOTE AND LEAVE NO INDICATION WHO YOU VOTED FOR IN THIS THREAD.

I, JH OR PHAEDRUS WILL MAKE A BUMP EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE TO KEEP THIS THREAD NEAR THE TOP SO EVERYONE WILL KNOW TO VOTE.

THERE MIGHT STILL BE DEBATING ON THIS MATCHUP IF YOU FEEL YOU SHOULD HOLD OFF. I THINK WE HAVE BOTH MADE OUR CASES AND I WISH BLAZE GOOD LUCK.

So who had Thanos and Desak on their list when we first started this nearly a year ago?....

I don't think I had Thanos on my list at all....I guess my thoughts were that someone else would get him anyways so I will concentrate on other characters. Desak was my 5 or 6 pick, I think...

As I can remember, Apocalypse was my first choice. Which Wiegeabo got. So I ended up with Carnage as my first pick....crazy huh? I went with a lot of my favorites with a couple of powerful characters.

I will have to look up my draft picks....

I wish I would have kept those lists. I didn't have either Thanos or Desak on my list.

Ahhh here is my list.... at least the ones I got and the order...:D

1. Carnage
2.IronMan
3. Joseph
4. Wonderman
5. Charles Xavier
6. Hercules
7. Cassandra Nova
8. Kaine
9. Mr.Sinister
10. Desak Man 10th pick....:)
11.Doctor Octopus
12.Sandman
13.Scorpion
14.Shriek
15. KidOmega
16. Lady Deathstrike
17. Electro
18. Grey Gargoyal
19. Thunderbird I
20. Spider-Woman(JuliaCarpenter)

Here is the old thread....looks like it's going to be vanquished soon...:(, but it has everyone's roster...
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181698&page=8

Huh I remember one the very first avatars I made was for you victor, when you were your previous name....Xfan...

How many votes have you got so far JH?

I have 6 votes so far. When did you say voting would end? (and I may extend it some so that we may get a winning vote if needed)

Saturday Evening was the end of voting...sooooo are you saying it's close....:D

I actually haven't even really looked at the votes enough to know how it's going. I want to make my decision prior to that, so to be fair. And thus far, I haven't decided who to vote for.

POWdER-man said:
Couple of things I want to point out:

1. Yes Desak nearly took out a weaker Jake/Olsen Thor, but right after that he faces a fully powered King Thor and has his way with him and nearly kills him. As well as in the future he takes him on again and puts him to shame while fighting several other gods around including Magni.

Key word there is gods. That's what he's designed to do. Fight and kill pantheons. Besides, Desak's up in Thor's league, so of course he'd be able to fight multiple Asgardians at once. The common Asgardian is not that powerful at all. In his final fight, before he was killed by a physical blow for a second time, he fought dozens of common foot soldiers at the same time, but he took out the Warriors Three, Loki, and the others one at a time. The only ones who stood a chance against him were Thor and Magni anyway. Loki's no physical fighter, which is Desak's specialty, so of course he gets obliterated (though his was killed by the disentigration beams from the Desak/Destroyer). The Warriors Three, while I like them, aren't that powerful. They're nowhere near Thor or Desak in terms of power.

2. Mystical and godly powers is one thing that he has immunity towards, yes. But do you consider throwing a physical punch a mystical attack? I hope you consider that for a moment before answering. Punches thrown by the Destroyer, King Thor, Magni are all physical attacks. Same as Mjolnir, it does have mystical properties when Thor uses when throwing, or when he calls upon the power of the storm. But when in it's in his hand it's the same as any weapon, and would hit hard especially with physical force and strength behind it.

He's gotten knocked around plenty by physical blows. Hell, both times he was killed was with a single physical attack. The Destroyer fight is misleading since it was not trying to kill him. It was possessed by Terene and was fighting Loki's control the whole time until it stopped fighting completely and merged with Desak. King Thor, in the first fight, really was green with his powers. Not like the King Thor from the future storyline. Still, King Thor was able to kill Desak both times with a physical attack (burying the Blood Axe in Desak's chest, and blowing apart his head with Mjolnir).
Now, I'm not saying Desak is a *****. Far from it. From what I've seen from him, he's in the same league as Thor is. But, from the comics, he's done nothing to put him in Thanos' league as far as durability goes.

3. Plus here is something interesting, the definition of the Odinpower. As the Lord of Asgard, Thor possessed the Odinpower, which enabled him to tap into near-infinite resources of cosmic and mystical power.

So the Odinpower is partially cosmic force and he has taken the full energy (including getting it shot down his throat). And there are few things that equal the full might of the Odinforce, and this included a version of Thor with a lot more power than the current version.

Right, but the Odin Force is still a godly force (one of the most potent godly forces in the MU). Desak is immune to godly forces, so of course he'd be immune to the Odin Force, no matter what it's composition is.

4. And the fight with the Destroyer, it was not holding back at the beginning if you saw the pages. Yes it was possessed by the Designate but take a look at those pages, he was hitting fast and hard, eventually when the gem was glowing and seemingly connected with the Destroyer it started holding back but certainly not at the begining. And just like the Odinpower, the blast is not mystical as it's powerful energy bursts are simply immensely powerful bolts of energy, magnetism, heat, and concussive force.

So it was hitting fast and hard? Desak's as tough as Thor, so he can take a physical beating. And the Asgardian Destroyer is powered by the Odin Force, so it is fueled by godly power. It can loose that power in bolts of energy or it's deadly disentigration beams. Either case it's still something Desak is immune to (the power of gods).

The Destroyer went full out and came out of nowhere slugging him as hard as it could, it hit him so hard it knocked him right through half the buildings of Asguard and Desak just immediately got up and continued fighting. If that doesn't show how durable he is than I am not sure what would....

I never said he wasn't durable, I said he wasn't in Thanos' league of durability, and he's not. He's never shown any feats that would put him anywhere near Thanos' league.

5. Thanos might increase his strength, but even than it wouldn't be as much as the Destroyer.

And you know this how? There has yet to be a limit shown for how far Thanos can increase his physical abilities in the comics. With all of the raw cosmic energy in the universe, his potential is damn well up there (like the Hulk). But, physical is only a small part of what makes Thanos, Thanos. So, he would not simply concentrate on that in the fight.

Thanos could put up shields but I don't see him putting up his shields in a fight. Thanos just doesn't seem like the type to hide behind a shield. Even when he had the Inifinty Gauntlet he fought Marvel's heroes just to proove he is stronger. Thanos' own pride wouldn't let him win in such a manner.

He pretty much always has his personal shields on him. The reason he didn't in the IG affair was because he had the freakin' Gauntlet and was pretty much the God of the MU.

6. Thanos is an Eternal and the definition of an Eternal is.

1. Being without beginning or end; existing outside of time.
2. Continuing without interruption; perpetual.
3. Forever true or changeless: eternal truths.
4. Seemingly endless; interminable. See Synonyms at ageless, continual.
5. Of or relating to spiritual communion with God.
1. Something timeless, uninterrupted, or endless.
2. Eternal God.

Plus how has Thanos augmented his powers? Through mystical means. So I think Thanos would be considered similar enough to a god as you could get. Desak can 'feel" if a being has great power, and with great power Desak believes that it corrupts all, and Thanos is already corrupt. If Thanos is considered 'godly" enough for Desak than there is good potential his powers would be completely immune.

Thanos is no god, and to say he is, is a stretch. That definition is not what a Marvel Eternal is. An Eternal in the MU is a genetic offshoot of humanity. They are not gods. They do no exist outside of time, they are not without beginning or end, they only look forever young because of their total molecular control, they are not timeless or endless. They are a offshoot race of humans created by the Celestials. To say that they're all gods so that Desak would be immune to Thanos' cosmic powers is a stretch.

7. Using the reference that he got killed by Mjolnir charged by the Odinforce, while at King Thor's last straw at the near the end of the series, in a Thor book, where Desak HAD to be killed was an an option they had to do to bring balance back to the Universe. The writers had no choice, although if you actually think about it and look at the facts, it was just simply bad writing. If Desak, now more powerful than ever with the armour and power of the Destroyer, after he just took the full force of the Odinpower previously, and knocked away Mjolnir without even paying attention to it, than he should have had no problem holding the combination of the two.

Maybe he didn't think it would do much to him since he was merged with the Destroyer? Maybe the attack caught him off guard and was too fast for him to counter (which is probably what happened)?

But it did happen which I can't deny, no matter how dumb it was. But of course WE ARE talking about the combined full power of the Odinforce and Mjolnir, which is definitely no small amount of power.

It may have been propelled via the Odin Force, but it was still a physical blow. Albiet a powerful physical blow. Still, nothing the Titan cannot duplicate.

8. Thanos HAS been beaten before including by Thor, and that was Thanos had the Stone of Illumination.

Actually, that was a clone. One not as powerful as the true Mad Titan.
Thank you Mr. Starlin. :) :up:

Thanos is certainly a handful but he can be beaten especially this close to the Ultimate power the winner of the Contest of Marvels. Thanos' subconscious will not let him win this, he will lose either by the mere might of Desak or by Thanos' own undoing.

That's a pretty big assumption. This is not a fight for ultimate power. The winner will not be declared the Lord of the MU. This is the final match in a tournament to see who is the most powerful character in the MU. This is something Thanos would love to prove.
Besides, that whole subconciously-setting-up-his-downfall thing only comes into play when he has ultimate power. When he's going for it he's perfectly fine. :up:

thor2-025pic4.gif

So with that said, Desak is definitely adequate in taking Thanos' blasts and hold up against fighting him physically and battle tactically. I really think this match could last for days, one that would put each to it's limit. But as the smoke clears the Godslayer can take the tTitan if the God can take Titan if the the Godslayer can take the God...;)

WINNER DESAK
Sure, he could take Thanos' cosmic blasts, but not how he took the Odin Force, or other godly attacks. Thanos is not a god, so his powers are not godly. Still, Desak is as tough as Thor, so he'd be able to withstand a good beating.

Physically, I can see them being equals in strength, though the Titan can increase his. For durability, Desak is not in Thanos' league. Aside from cosmic gods, few are.

As for him being Thanos' equal, tactically, I don't agree on that. Desak's never really shown nothing more than being a soldier. Sure, he's got smarts and experience on the battlefield, but Thanos is a master planner that would make Doom jealous. The Titan is notorious for setting up battlefields and/or using them for his advantage. Desak's just really waded into places and engaged his enemies head on.

I do think this will be a good fight, but in the end Thanos' greatest weapon, his mind, is what takes this for him. Especially with 24 hours to prepare for the fight.

I don't think there is any need to debate anymore. I don't think we will make any headway on this, and we have made our points. Plus why is it always when Thanos gets smacked, they always have to retcon it and make him a freaking clone....lame :rolleyes::down:

Good luck Blaze it was a pleasure, and may the best (POWdER) MAN win....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"