Costumes In Need of Updating...

Mr. Green

Where the Wild Hulks Are
Reaction score
A great recent example of a costume being updated is Thor: he had yellow boots, random blue spots on him. Let me just start by saying that no viking has EVER worn yellow boots. EVER.
ThorBright.gif

But Coipiel came along and gave Thor a more practical costume that makes sense and looks cool.
thor_marvelcomics.jpg

So what are some popular characters that still wear stupid costumes? How about Dr. Strange? Does a sorcerer supreme even NEED a cloak of levitation? And why does he wear tights and a skirt?
dr_strange.jpg

So what other Marvel heroes need to get some new threads? Any old costumes that you prefer to the new ones? Any ideas of what could be done to a character's look to make them look cooler? Should artists focus on practicality of a character's costume or should it be more about looking badass or cool?

I like Dr. STranges cloak you cna't take that away! I'd be fine with them changing the weird pants though. Also after reading Aaron's Black Panther I love the way he used the costume! Making it look like a literal panther

The look Doc Strange had in the mini from JMS a few years ago would work, IMO.

Superman. His costume is very outdated. Do away with the underoos at least. I like this mashup I saw on urbaneblog:

superman.jpg

+
1840239719.02.LZZZZZZZ

Id like to see an update for wonder woman as well. I think a greek warrior/godess would not wear an american propaganda bathing suit. just IMO Shes hot regardless though lol :yay:

Luke cage, the man doesnt even have a costume now. Its worse they has has to be a black stereotype in appearance but geeze get the man something to wear.

The thing with superman is you cant really update his costume because its way too iconic. There are certain comic characters that can never really have a costume change because of their legacy and iconic status. Spiderman, Captain America (steve roger), Batman and Superman can never really deviate from their original looks. Then again who knows? I would love to see a 21st century permanent Superman look.

Id like to see an update for wonder woman as well. I think a greek warrior/godess would not wear an american propaganda bathing suit. just IMO Shes hot regardless though lol :yay:
I'm with you there. Why DOES she have a star-spangled bikini bottom on? WHY??? And btw, those are some pretty badass Supes pics.

And that JMS Dr. Strange looks way more badass than the one of the 70s.

Yea...... I agree cage does ned a costume or something besides street clothes

I wouldnt mind if Luke Cage used street clothes but made it uniform. Like Madrox always wears the same clothes as a superhero outift technically.

I like Iron Fists new top. No collar, no low neck line

Never liked Rages yellow mask
rage.jpg

Someone once suggested he wear Night Thrashers most recent mask
NighThrasher3.JPG

So what are some popular characters that still wear stupid costumes? How about Dr. Strange? Does a sorcerer supreme even NEED a cloak of levitation? And why does he wear tights and a skirt?
dr_strange.jpg
In the miniseries written by BKV and drawn by Marcos Martin, Martin did wonders for Strange's costume without actually changing it that much. That ridiculous blue tunic became a blue button-up dress shirt with the same design. The yellow sash was gone. The black tights became black slacks. That big ass collar from his cloak was still there, though...

strange1.jpg

Dazzler- its better than her old costume but it still needs work
440px-DazzlerMain442.jpg

The thing with superman is you cant really update his costume because its way too iconic.

Superman_1panelCUFull.jpg

Yeah Superman hasn't changed since his first appearance.

Okay, sarcasm aside, the S of his costume has changed quite a bit. Personally I'd just remove the underware from the outside of his costume and maybe make the S a little bigger.

A great recent example of a costume being updated is Thor: he had yellow boots, random blue spots on him. Let me just start by saying that no viking has EVER worn yellow boots. EVER.
ThorBright.gif

But Coipiel came along and gave Thor a more practical costume that makes sense and looks cool.
thor_marvelcomics.jpg

dr_strange.jpg

So what other Marvel heroes need to get some new threads? Any old costumes that you prefer to the new ones? Any ideas of what could be done to a character's look to make them look cooler? Should artists focus on practicality of a character's costume or should it be more about looking badass or cool?

Agree with you about Thor. The original was a Kirby design, wasnt it? It's rare that any updates of Kirby's stuff ever work for me, but in this case, i think Oliver did a GREAT job.

Dr. Strange's costume is fine, imo.

I hate how the male X-Men have their "X" over their hearts, while the female X-Men have to have it dead center, as if there's not enough attention called to that area.

Are you suggesting that there could be too much attention called to that area? NEVER!

But isn't it usually different for most X-Men anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"