For Cooler Costumes, Look To The Past

Wilhelm-Scream

Avenger
Reaction score
Maybe you've run across these before, but I want to educate the youngsters.

In the old days, we did not make our own costumes. We did not order shmancy 60 dollar ones either.
Back then, it wasn't so much about resembling a character as it was about promoting a character.
For example, if you were Darth Vader, yes, you'd have the mask, but instead of a chestplate on your chest, you'd have another image of Darth Vader, exploding out of your chest, with a big logo that said "DARTH VADER" silk screened on a simple vinyl sack...so there was no mistaking who you were.

So enjoy these awesome costumes from the past.

Do you ever see store-bought Katamari costumes? No. But if you wanted to be "Asteroids", no prob.
1.jpg

Same goes for "Mom, I wanna be Rubik's Cube!"

4.jpg

Wouldn't it be fun if your Dad was Mr. Rourke and you could be Tattoo?

3.jpg

And I know if muscles wasn't so fat, he'd love to go as Small Wonder Chick!

2.jpg

Sure all of us kids were Star Wars fanatics, and we liked Go-Bots, He-Man, what have you...but some special kids had a different kind of hero...Father Murphy! Wicked!
5.jpg

Of course the coolest in the world (but I would've been too afraid to wear it), JAWS?....yeah, freaking JAWS, man!
7.jpg

And could you see them selling kids a San Francisco Gay Leather Daddy costume today? So progressive.
8.jpg

I really love how Tattoo's own head is exploding out of his chest like a baby from Alien.

Dangerous said:
I like JAWS best
Now this is a delicate matter because I originally found all of these on a site about old costumes, but they were featured on another site I like called retrocrush, and they made the same observation as I did years ago, so don't poke around and think I'm plagarizing.....but I wanted to point out, as they did.....world's only children's costume to feature a naked lady on it!:up:

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Now this is a delicate matter because I originally found all of these on a site about old costumes, but they were featured on another site I like called retrocrush, and they made the same observation as I did years ago, so don't poke around and think I'm plagarizing.....but I wanted to point out, as they did.....world's only children's costume to feature a naked lady on it!:up:
How come you're always making threads about things from your childhood? Are you going through a mid-life crisis or something?

Looks like the same company made all of those, except with different shows/movies/brands on each sack, and added a mask for flair.

Hades said:
How come you're always making threads about things from your childhood? Are you going through a mid-life crisis or something?
When was the last time I made a thread about things from my childhood?

Wilhelm-Scream said:
When was the last time I made a thread about things from my childhood?
Okay, posts then?

Yeah, I looked back over all the threads I've made...

What About Hispanic Heritage Month?
I hate the Lip-Freaks!
"The Official JJ Abrams Making a Star Trek Movie
Feed
I Have A Problem.
Jill Greenberg Art Threads Merged
Father/Daughter Purity Balls
Your Knife Sucks!
Hog Futures (mature topic)
Okay, Wish Me Luck, Pervs.
What attribute do you find most appalling about yourself?
Wilhelm's Mushy One Year Hypeiversary,Dawg!!!
What Are The Rules....
I'm Not A Dork...
The Hype's ONLY "Haunting Tranquility" thread
Tell me this about Al Qaeda...
Are There Any Really Gifted Female Directors?

I don't see a single one about my childhood. :huh:

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Yeah, I looked back over all the threads I've made...

What About Hispanic Heritage Month?
I hate the Lip-Freaks!
"The Official JJ Abrams Making a Star Trek Movie
Feed
I Have A Problem.
Jill Greenberg Art Threads Merged
Father/Daughter Purity Balls
Your Knife Sucks!
Hog Futures (mature topic)
Okay, Wish Me Luck, Pervs.
What attribute do you find most appalling about yourself?
Wilhelm's Mushy One Year Hypeiversary,Dawg!!!
What Are The Rules....
I'm Not A Dork...
The Hype's ONLY "Haunting Tranquility" thread
Tell me this about Al Qaeda...
Are There Any Really Gifted Female Directors?

I don't see a single one about my childhood. :huh:
Those weren't about your childhood? :huh:

I had 2 of those costumes when I was little.

The first one was a Spider-Man one which was okay. It actually looked like the Spiderman outfit with my stupid little sneakers coming from the bottom of it and a stupid string holding up that half of a mask.

There is a picture of me with another kid who was dressed in an authentic X-Wing Pilot Outfit. I'm sure I was looking at that kid and saying, "Your Mom must really love you."

Another Vinyl Outfit I had was from this Island Earth.

Now look at this pic.

this-island-earth-mutant.jpg

But instead of the bottom, like Wilhelm Said it was was a picture of the same creature on my chest. ugh :down

Thanks for the painfall flashbacks Wilhelm. :csad:

I don't remember. I think I surpressed it with other horrible costumes that I had to indure because I never spoke up as a child. There might be a picture somewhere with a sad lil 8 year old Erz, drudging around a small bucket of candy.

Dude, weep not over such costumes.
Think of me, in 2nd grade, as a Jawa.
Jawa costume = Brown Sheet wrapped around me...Black Clown Make Up with Yellow circles around the eyes, and a paper towel tube for a blaster.

The god.damned.paper towel tube.wasn't.even.painted.black

Worse, the brown sheet wasn't even solid brown. It was the only brown fabric in the house, but it had tiny ornate white African designs...*sob*...all over it.

my grandma made our costumes and she was a travel buff so for the first few years of my young life my sister and I were china girls, hawaiian girls, dutch girls that sort of thing. When we got older we got to choose. My first chosen costume was this beautiful velvet princess costume but I broke my arm days before Hallowe'en when I was pushed off a jungle gym by a boy named Cory. I was so sad that I couldn't get the cast in the sleeve, so grandma slit the sleeve added a panel and I was good to go. Yay, grandma!

Well, anyway....kids always look up to inner city educators:

10.jpg

Tough-as-nails, diminutive cops with an enduring love for their birds:

6.jpg

Jane Jetson after spiral into Meth addiction:

12.jpg

Peanut People:

14.jpg

I'm sorry to say that I don't dig how scrotal that one seems.

It was cool to pretend to be Chachi:

9.jpg

and, check He-Man!

11.jpg

same muscle simulating technology used for Juggernaut in X-Men 3!

I remember being Captain Kirk in one of these costumes when I was 3 or 4..

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Dude, weep not over such costumes.
Think of me, in 2nd grade, as a Jawa.
Jawa costume = Brown Sheet wrapped around me...Black Clown Make Up with Yellow circles around the eyes, and a paper towel tube for a blaster.

Worse, the brown sheet wasn't even solid brown. It was the only brown fabric in the house, but it had tiny ornate white African designs...*sob*...all over it.

My friends when I went to high school would tell me tales of how their mothers would hand make them for example a Jedi Robe and mock up a silver flashlight to be a lightsaber. I was like, yeah my parents spared no expense with Vinyl Costumes.

Doobie88 said:
I remember being Captain Kirk in one of these costumes when I was 3 or 4..

I hope not this one.

kirkmoviefrench.jpg

Whoever designed that was an effing ******.

"Make the badge bigger....bigger.....BIGGER!!!!:cmad:"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"