Could Marvel Studios do a film like Joker/Logan?

I think not. First Class and Days of Future Past are reasonable films for them to follow, tonally.
I liked the first X-Men movie, but in retrospect I think I rather liked it just because I was starving to to see something comic booky. The two movies you mention are my favorite X-Men movies.

Could WB make movies like IW or EG? Probably not.

You've been here for only a little bit and yet I am sure you need to hear this...

You are not paid by Disney or Marvel Studios.

Disney and Marvel Studios do not love you are care about you except in that you choose to give them money.

Were something, heaven forbid, to happen to you, say an accident or contracting a fatal disease, Kevin Feige, Disney and Marvel Studios will not care, will not contribute to your medical costs and will not mourn you should you pass.

In other words... Maybe take it down from a crazy 11 and keep it at a nice simmering 8.

A poster's here's criticisms towards Marvel Studios or their dislike is not a direct and personal attack on you, your family, your world view or your religion.

Not everything requires a clapback. I say this as a well known ******* around here.

You've been here for only a little bit and yet I am sure you need to hear this...

Disney and Marvel Studios do not love you are care about you except in that you choose to give them money.

Were something, heaven forbid, to happen to you, say an accident or contracting a fatal disease, Kevin Feige, Disney and Marvel Studios will not care, will not contribute to your medical costs and will not mourn you should you pass.

In other words... Maybe take it down from a crazy 11 and keep it at a nice simmering 8.

A poster's here's criticisms towards Marvel Studios or their dislike is not a direct and personal attack on you, your family, your world view or your religion.

Not everything requires a clapback. I say this as a well known ******* around here.

When you watch a movie you invest your time and money to that movie. If you like the movie and characters you form an attachment. When someone knocks a movie you like, that is like knocking 'you'. So it's perfectly natural and understandable to defend a movie you like. Debate and arguments are why these forums exist.

Last edited:
I hope the MCU doesn't make their movies like Logan as I didn't like Logan.

Well this is the 2nd time you've insisted you don't like Logan without any quoted reply to someone so I will ask, as you are itching for someone to, why didn't you like Logan and why shouldn't marvel studios make a movie like Logan?

I dont know if you got out of bed from the wrong side this morning but i only asked a vlaid question. I have no idea why you got triggered.

I would love for Marvel to make a movie like Logan. I have no desire to see a movie like Joker with zero originality and absolute shallowness only held together by a great performance. I dont want takes that use the comic connections as a crutch to increase box office and have zero respect for the characters.

The question i asked is pretty simple. Could WB make movies like IW and Endgame?

Well this is the 2nd time you've insisted you don't like Logan without any quoted reply to someone so I will ask, as you are itching for someone to, why didn't you like Logan and why shouldn't marvel studios make a movie like Logan?
You're right, I should have edited my earlier comment rather than making a new one. I've deleted the second post of my dislike of Logan.
Anyway, would I like to see Marvel make serious drama? Of course, but they are owned by Disney.
I'm actually amazed Marvel has attempted a more somber tone with Winter Soldier and Black Panther and even those movies end with massive action set-pieces.

Basically, Marvel movies are about delivering a fun time at the cinema and that's just fine but I wish Marvel would create a small movie company and call it something like 'Dark Marvel' and make a series of small-budget character (rather than plot) driven movies with A list directors. If the budget is small then there would be a need to tick the boxes of so many demographics and with the title of 'Dark Marvel' the parents will know not to bring their kids to these movies.

If you find a poster annoying, it’s easier to ignore them then to derail the thread with a self-important lecture.

Last edited:
When you watch a movie you invest your time and money to that movie. If you like the movie and characters to form an attachment. When someone knocks a movie you like that is like knocking 'you'. So it's perfectly natural and understandable to defend a movie you like. Debate and arguments are why these forums exist.

There's defending a movie and then there's just willing to fall on the sword for it like it's your bread and butter. If someone feels that knocking a movie is suddenly a knock against them...well, that's more sad than anything else. Like, go outside and fly a kite or something.

Not you, but anyone who would defend a film in such a way.

I mean a character study to the degree of those films. What they lack in spectacle they make up for in raw feeling. Love them or hate them, you have to agree they are emotional powerhouses.
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 should count as one of these the way it got very deep and personal into Star Lord's story and his journey in life.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 should count as one of these the way it got very deep and personal into Star Lord's story and his journey in life.

I happen to agree, GotGv2 is one of my top 5 mcu films. It's up there for sure.

However, I dont agree it reaches the same level of personal that Joker/Logan do. Star Lord's screentime alone, when compared to Phoenix/Jackman is lacking. The focus on secondary characters is not something I'd be willing to give up in a GotG film tbh.

Not to mention the lack of gravity to his actions. It doesnt go very deep into his mortality. For the majority of the film (especially during the action) Star Lord is nigh invincible, part god. Logan is dying throughout the film, Joker is frail and not even peak human.

I think I'd like to see a Silver Surfer origin film to this effect. Powerless to save his family and friends throughout, until the end. Obviously ending not with his death (like in Logan) but more like Joker where he is fully realized at the end of the film with godlike power.

There's defending a movie and then there's just willing to fall on the sword for it like it's your bread and butter. If someone feels that knocking a movie is suddenly a knock against them...well, that's more sad than anything else. Like, go outside and fly a kite or something.

Not you, but anyone who would defend a film in such a way.

I'll defend a movie up to a point, but ultimately it's just coming down to opinions. There are movies I dislike that others like and movies I like that others hate. No biggie.
Like, people getting bent out of shape over Martin Scorsese's comments about Marvel movies. It's his opinion, move on.

I think a Dr Doom or Blade movie in this vein would be perfect.

A sympathetic approach (at first) to Doom's childhood, rivalry with Reed, rise to power, could be amazing. Then to go straight into a Fantastic Four movie where we see the plight of both sides?

Could be great. And Noah Hawley is just the guy to do it justice.

I think Doom is perhaps the only one whose backstory is broad/long enough to warrant a solo movie. You can't do a too realistic version of it, though, too much comic book element in it. Plus the FF movie needs to happen first. Basically do FF first, post-credit scene show a glimpse of Doom, then solo movie.

Doom should be built up to be a Marvel Universe villain rather than a FF villain. I would have no problem with Doom having an origin movie before the FF movie came out. Have a young Reed Richards cameo with Doom in college.

Doom should be built up to be a Marvel Universe villain rather than a FF villain. I would have no problem with Doom having an origin movie before the FF movie came out. Have a young Reed Richards cameo with Doom in college.
That's how I've always said it should be done. Make a movie about Doom to show you how he became him. Show why he think he's right. Just showing the F4 origin is business as usual. Show how Doom is so powerful as an every day man who became one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel universe from sheer will alone.

I dont know if you got out of bed from the wrong side this morning but i only asked a vlaid question. I have no idea why you got triggered.

I would love for Marvel to make a movie like Logan. I have no desire to see a movie like Joker with zero originality and absolute shallowness only held together by a great performance. I dont want takes that use the comic connections as a crutch to increase box office and have zero respect for the characters.

The question i asked is pretty simple. Could WB make movies like IW and Endgame?

The story itself isn't original, but asking for originality in this realm of cinema is futile. All of the MCU films follow a formula, and most of them tick off the PG-13 blockbuster checkboxes. Hell, most movies in general follow a formula with some tweaks here and there. That's the way it is. As for it being shallow... I've been seeing a lot of fun discussion about the film and its topics. I guess a lot of people would disagree with you.

WB could make movies like IW and Endgame with the proper lead-up to them. They **** the bed with the DCEU (even though I really like Man of Steel), but it looks like they're moving in the right direction.

I can't say I'm interested in another "PHASE 1, PHASE 2" thing. We've done that, now just make interesting movies again.

The story itself isn't original, but asking for originality in this realm of cinema is futile. All of the MCU films follow a formula, and most of them tick off the PG-13 blockbuster checkboxes. Hell, most movies in general follow a formula with some tweaks here and there. That's the way it is. As for it being shallow... I've been seeing a lot of fun discussion about the film and its topics. I guess a lot of people would disagree with you.

WB could make movies like IW and Endgame with the proper lead-up to them. They **** the bed with the DCEU (even though I really like Man of Steel), but it looks like they're moving in the right direction.

I can't say I'm interested in another "PHASE 1, PHASE 2" thing. We've done that, now just make interesting movies again.
And the dceu doesnt does a formula? They went from Nolan lite with snyder srying to copy the tdk to mcu diet with whedon brought up to turn jl into avengers, ss being reshot with more humor and then gunn being hired to turn it into their guardians of the galaxy. Plus shazam and aquaman having a lot of humor.

The only formula the mcu has is that of making well crafted cbms. Not all of them are great but the majority rank from decent to really good.

As for Joker, if you found it interesting more power to you. But i could see the rails and the lines on the film and i really hesitate on calling it original. I also hesitate to call it a joker film.

I personally dont find character pieces that use the comic roots to attract audiences because a studio head got cold feet about a dark, bleak movie and wanted to force the batman connections to get butts into seats. If the future is movies like the joker who use the actual characters as facades, i dont find that interesting at all.

I wouldn't say the DCEU has a formula since that implies some uniform consistency with each film in the DCEU cannon. I will say WB has a pattern of reactive behavior to how the last film performed. Now, lots of studios have the same behavior to varying extents , since they're responding to box office, reviews, audience reaction etc.

In WB's case, they tried the shared universe model when they didn't build the foundations for it and when they weren't ready to do it, and those are among several other issues which are common knowledge among fandom at this point.

As far as character piece villain films go, it really gonna have to depend on the final product of each individual film. If they're all as bleak or try to copy Joker , then they'll burn out pretty quickly. But if they're diverse and unique as the genre of film itself, then they'll continue to succeed. The key for the studio is to resist the temptation of uniformity .

And the dceu doesnt does a formula? They went from Nolan lite with snyder srying to copy the tdk to mcu diet with whedon brought up to turn jl into avengers, ss being reshot with more humor and then gunn being hired to turn it into their guardians of the galaxy. Plus shazam and aquaman having a lot of humor.

The only formula the mcu has is that of making well crafted cbms. Not all of them are great but the majority rank from decent to really good.

As for Joker, if you found it interesting more power to you. But i could see the rails and the lines on the film and i really hesitate on calling it original. I also hesitate to call it a joker film.

I personally dont find character pieces that use the comic roots to attract audiences because a studio head got cold feet about a dark, bleak movie and wanted to force the batman connections to get butts into seats. If the future is movies like the joker who use the actual characters as facades, i dont find that interesting at all.

Nobody's asking for future movies to all be exactly like Joker. It's a broader need of more introspective, character focused movies.

DC - Black Label (formerly Vertigo)
Marvel - Marvel Knights

That is how both publishers release darker material. I wish they would do something similar on the big screen. Deadpool, for example, would be perfect for this. If Deadpool appears in the MCU in the MCU's current incarnation he will be seriously watered down.

DC - Black Label (formerly Vertigo)
Marvel - Marvel Knights

That is how both publishers release darker material. I wish they would do something similar on the big screen. Deadpool, for example, would be perfect for this. If Deadpool appears in the MCU in the MCU's current incarnation he will be seriously watered down.

They released two terrible films under the Marvel Knights banner. They would probably go for something else.

They could,if they want to. This is Marvel Studios after all. And if they don't want to, so what? I don't want more downbeat movies like Logan and Joker.
you named 2 films in a cloud of light hearted spectacle affairs lol

its not like like were swimming in dark gritty super hero films they are actual rare in this day and age of comic book films its a main reason why they stand out

Looks like NakedJoker got himself banned. New user with posts suddenly popping up everywhere in different threads and poof.

They released two terrible films under the Marvel Knights banner. They would probably go for something else.

The darker label is sound. Obviously, you need to hire writers and directors of quality and let them give their take on the character.

Marvel Studio's films being connected really makes it hard to integrate films that are R-Rated

For different styled PG-13, a gritty movie following real world story logic would still be hard to do since this isn't the basis past films really go towards (Endgame I think is an example of how all things tie together story logic/realism wise). A more niche styled film could be made but Marvel Studio's I don't think will go that route unless representing in some way. Even then, the film will still be 4 Quadrant style.

It is not in Kevin Feigi's professional/personal image to be producing films that go outside of the range of movies that have been made so far. He is a risk taker but is also very proper. He doesn't like to be caught on camera as a different character other than himself. He's also very specific how he says things and is a master PR man and strategizer employing a team based philosophy that goes under the creative umbrella that is Marvel Studio's guidelines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"