Marvel should Pay off other studios for its licenses

And you don't believe it's greedy, or lazy, to avoid taking back those properties and adapting them properly rather than leaving them to studios that will inevitably mail it in just to max out whatever money they can get from them?

you are looking at this as a fan of the properties...look at it as a business standpoint: 1) Its free money for a movie studio that is really limited in what it can put out 2)As was mentioned before the contracts are solid.

The costs of getting the properties back outweigh the benefits

you are looking at this as a fan of the properties...look at it as a business standpoint: 1) Its free money for a movie studio that is really limited in what it can put out 2)As was mentioned before the contracts are solid.

The costs of getting the properties back outweigh the benefits

I am looking at it from both perspectives. Right now I am leaving Spidey where it is, because why would I reboot with more solo movies myself, when I am still making decent change through another studios effort. Similar to X-Men, it would be darn impossible working in mutants with what I already have. Unless I want to do a New Avengers movie I wouldn't need Spidey or Wolverine. But as far as the other characters that can expand my universe, DD is potential tentpole material. FF is definitely tentpole material. I can work those guys into my universe. Why wouldn't Marvel want those characters and limit themselves to Avengers only, especially when those characters have not been nearly maximized?

Last edited:
They're gonna want those properties, and imo FF and DD would be the first properties Marvel would want back. Its not like they don't want those series. Its that they can't get those series. It would just be extremely difficult to get their hands on these rights, even with Disney lawyers. If FOX is willing to negotiate, then Marvel/Disney will definitely listen.

I hope Marvel does get FF and DD back. They sure deserve better than what they've gotten thus far.

They're gonna want those properties, and imo FF and DD would be the first properties Marvel would want back. Its not like they don't want those series. Its that they can't get those series. It would just be extremely difficult to get their hands on these rights, even with Disney lawyers. If FOX is willing to negotiate, then Marvel/Disney will definitely listen.

Was it so difficult to get Hulk back? FF/Avengers have too much overlap. Yeah they can ignore each other, but then some villains/stories go here and go there and it can never work in reverse. You don't necessarily have to reboot it if you are Marvel, but it would help their universe right this minute. ROTSS basically did TIH numbers so Marvel can't be making that much from it as it is.

They got Hulk back cause Paramount gave up on the property

Was it so difficult to get Hulk back? FF/Avengers have too much overlap. Yeah they can ignore each other, but then some villains/stories go here and go there and it can never work in reverse. You don't necessarily have to reboot it if you are Marvel, but it would help their universe right this minute. ROTSS basically did TIH numbers so Marvel can't be making that much from it as it is.

Universal relinquished the rights because Hulk was considered a disappointment for them.

I don't disagree that it wouldn't be better if they were in the same universe, but they can get around it, and Marvel Studios has been successful so far. They will eventually get the rights back, but not at this moment. It just isn't a necessity now. They should get the rights back, but I can see why they won't for now.

Last edited:
Actually you're right, however The Hulk was with Universal.

sorry I got my movie studios mixed up. Universal let the rights on the Hulk lapse and revert back to Marvel

FF is just really at a disservice when Skrulls, Namor, and Black Panther may never be available at Fox (not that I feel sorry for them)... not to mention having to rehash Doom (a necessity but a rehash nonetheless) or possibly cover SS again in a reboot. I get that it is Fox's problem, but Marvel should realize that it's a franchise that fits what they are currently doing, hence can be a vital boon not only down the road but right now. Hence instead of shoving Namor and Panther down our throats in Avengers movies, you can spread them out in FF AND Avengers. I can't say the same about most mutants, or Spidey, whose gallery is so deep that he can be on his own island in the most important city in the world, but FF is much different.

Last edited:
Yeah which makes me wonder why Fox is still retaining the FF license. Now that's a greedy company.

Fox is retaining the FF license because they have paid for it up to 2012, and perhaps beyond - that's not greed, it's just business.
Don't get me wrong, the BEST thing that could happen to the FF is for it to get out of Rothman's hands and into Feige's!

In the end its not gonna be good business. One of two things will happen:

1) The film will not end up being made

2) The film will be released and I just can't see a good quality FF being made. Also, we know the crowd's reaction to a reboot after TIH and after two lackluster films its gonna be hard to get people back into the theater. I can't see it making much money.

Its greed when you keep a license and have no plans for it at all.

I'm telling you, FOX has no idea what they're doing for Marvel films. They barely know what their doing for the X-men series and the other Marvel films are in limbo.

FF is just really at a disservice when Skrulls, Namor, and Black Panther may never be available at Fox (not that I feel sorry for them)... not to mention having to rehash Doom (a necessity but a rehash nonetheless) or possibly cover SS again in a reboot. I get that it is Fox's problem, but Marvel should realize that it's a franchise that fits what they are currently doing, hence can be a vital boon not only down the road but right now. Hence instead of shoving Namor and Panther down our throats in Avengers movies, you can spread them out in FF AND Avengers. I can't say the same about most mutants, or Spidey, whose gallery is so deep that he can be on his own island in the most important city in the world, but FF is much different.

How are Namor and Black Panther shoved down our throats???
Namor's connection to the Avengers is more prominent than his infatuation with Sue....hell he's a team member, same for Black Panther.
FF has plenty of foes out side of Doom and Galactus they can use

Fox is retaining the FF license because they have paid for it up to 2012, and perhaps beyond - that's not greed, it's just business.
Don't get me wrong, the BEST thing that could happen to the FF is for it to get out of Rothman's hands and into Feige's!

Fox won't have a film out by 2012. Then again... FC was announced last month for 2011 so you never know, but I doubt they are making 2012. Wolverine 2 is also planned at that time. Maybe Marvel will give them an extension beyond then, but hopefully they learn their lesson once they see FC eat into their marketing time.

How are Namor and Black Panther shoved down our throats???
Namor's connection to the Avengers is more prominent than his infatuation with Sue....hell he's a team member, same for Black Panther.
FF has plenty of foes out side of Doom and Galactus they can use

It's still potential storylines that are automatically out the wazoo.

There's also the embarrassment factor of Marvel making better movies and possibly more money than Fox. That would bruise most executive egos.

Though I think that most of these properties will be very difficult to get back, I do think that FF and DD are ripe for the taking, in fact I would be very curious as to the deal on DD since it has been 7 years since the first movie and there is only whispers of movement on a new film. While FF did OK at the box office, those characters really need to be brought back to Marvel. Fox is going to have its hands full with the X-universe and there is almost no way that Sony gives up Spidey.

Unless Fox gets something up and running before the end of the year, shouldn't Marvel be due to get back the rights to Daredevil? It has been 5 years since Elektra and I thought the studios needed to make a movie every 5years in order to retain the rights?

I think the only one that was really up against the wall was Ghost Rider. Fox has someone working on a script for DD so there is some progress made.

Yeah for some reason or another this five year limit sounds like a bunch of hogwash... there are probably a million stipulations. I think TIH's performance really made Marvel reconsider if it was even worth it.

TIH was a success in Marvel's eyes. You have to realize it was a relaunch and the stench of Ang Lee's Hulk was still on everyone's mind. So even though the Hulk didn't make $400M, it made it's budget back and more over seas so it's not a failure. It's a success but not a blockbuster. Plus Marvel made it's point by tying the movies together which have fans clamoring for more. Now that we saw Mjolnir in IM2 and Stark show up at the end of Hulk, we can't seem to wait for Thor and Cap now, in which I'm hoping the villians are the Hulk and Loki and not the Skrulls, which would suck if you ask me.

What exactly does Fox's rights or whatever term you would like to use reach to with regards to X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil/Elektra? Is it only live-actions films? Is live-action television included? I've always wanted to know especially with WB doing X-Men Evolution and Cartoon Network/Nicktoons doing Fantastic Four and Wolverine & The X-Men?

Fox only has the rights to the film versions of the properties they own

Marvel got sued for mentioning mutants in one of their cartoons if I recall, someone else probably knows the exact details of what I am talking about. I am pretty sure Fox produced most of the toons, and maybe worked out side deals with other networks so it wouldn't clog their existing Saturday morning lineup.

Marvel got sued for mentioning mutants in one of their cartoons if I recall, someone else probably knows the exact details of what I am talking about. I am pretty sure Fox produced most of the toons, and maybe worked out side deals with other networks so it wouldn't clog their existing Saturday morning lineup.

I don't remember anything about cartoons but IIRC didn't Fox sue Marvel and/or the Production Company behind the Mutant X TV Show?

...back on topic...with the Marvel/Disney deal you know they'll (Disney) will try to do something Wolverine or X-Related. Disney XD would seem like a likely candidate for a show...I don't want to get ahead of myself but I hope somehow Marvel/Disney can somehow do a teen X-Men (New Mutants/Generation X/New X-Men/Young X-Men) based live action show, not even just X-Men but any teen characters (Young Avengers, Runaways, etc.).........mostly because I want to see what Disney can do with Marvel Properties if given the opportunity......Disney has shown that they can kinda do action...(Jett Jackson...some of the Power Rangers Seasons, some were better than others......Aaron Stone...and some of there other programing...)

and partly because I'm still upset Aaron Stone is supposedly canned...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"