Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson Lives! (the Clark Gregg aka Phil Coulson thread)

Whiskey Tango

Avenger
Reaction score
For discussion of all things Coulson.

c3iLocS.jpg

RiMBt8N.jpg

Clark Gregg - IMDB / Twitter / Facebook Fan Page

Phil Coulson - Wikipedia / Marvel Database / Marvel Movies Wiki

Last edited:
So I guess the big question is....was Fury screwing with the AVENGERS that he was dead...or is he LMD?

I just hope Clark Gregg doesn't get his S.H.I.E.L.D character mixed up with his character from The Shield.

So I guess the big question is....was Fury screwing with the AVENGERS that he was dead...or is he LMD?

My bet is that he was still alive/the medics revived him. Fury made his play to spur the Avengers on, and now Phil is relegated to some pseudo-underground MiB-type squad, with a possible emphasis on training rookie agents, or exposing them to weird emerging elements.

Gregg aluded at the South by Southwest festival that Coulson was dead and his return will be a running mystery throughout the show.

Hmm. Skrull then? That could be fun.

But we'll see what happens. Either way he had to really die. He was stabbed all the way clean through very unlikely a stab like that misses any major arteries or organs.

Maybe they took him to The Hand for resurrection, like Elektra.

Speaking of which, I hope The Hand show up.

I am so happy that Marvel values Clark Gregg and Agent Coulson as much as his fans do. People in the Coulson Lives movement simply refused to believe that our favorite agent was going to stay dead, and eventually our delusional devotion was rewarded. This turned out much better than the time 7-year-old Xeno wrote to the president of NBC begging him not to cancel Star Trek. My faith in humanity (and studio chiefs) is finally restored.

The explanation for Coulson's survival should be something dark and dangerous that remains a mystery for most of the first season. Given that this is the Marvel Universe we're talking about, there are an infinite number of ways it could be handled. Maybe Fury had SHIELD's medical staff conduct dangerous, highly unethical experiments on Coulson's body after he died. The Super Soldier serum is still being kicked around, Extremis is an outside possibility, nanotechnology has been broached in the MCU, etc. Even the reality-warping properties of the Tesseract could be an explanation. But whatever they choose as a mechanism for resurrecting Phil, I do hope that he was actually dead for a time. That would give the character an edginess, while also (possibly) shutting down the people whinging on about his survival somehow cheapening death.

Considering that they're gonna be inspecting supernatural elements and that Ghost Rider is back in-house, it'd be cool if Mephisto was involved in Coulson's return. Though I'll admit they'd have to get really clever to have it make sense story-wise, rather than do it for the sole purpose of introducing that world.

Gregg aluded at the South by Southwest festival that Coulson was dead and his return will be a running mystery throughout the show.

This would be best.

Worst would be LMD.

tumblr_mmp2h2mHCS1qbbseto1_500.gif

tumblr_mmp2h2mHCS1qbbseto2_500.gif

A post with those two images already has almost 15,000 notes on Tumblr, which has unanimously decided that Coulson now walks with a cane and that this only makes him more dangerously badass than before. When the S.H.I.E.L.D. promo was making the rounds over there Tumblr started acting all quirky and weird, the way it does when Marvel movie news nearly crashes it.

Considering that they're gonna be inspecting supernatural elements and that Ghost Rider is back in-house, it'd be cool if Mephisto was involved in Coulson's return. Though I'll admit they'd have to get really clever to have it make sense story-wise, rather than do it for the sole purpose of introducing that world.
I think that would be way too confusing.

When ABC started handing out official promo material, they showed us the actual SHIELD ID badges of all the primaries. The ID# on each badge is prefaced with an "A." Except Coulson's.....his prefix is "SKJ." Wonder what kind of hint that implies.

Personally, I'm starting to lean towards the alien theory. Not so much Skrull as Kree. Remember those old, old rumors about Coulson as Mar-Vell? I think even Gregg got some mileage out of those rumors.

I love Lola... him having a car like that just seems to....fit.

1962-red-convertible-corvette_zps45ff92e8.jpg

I secretly hope that Lola can fly. On her own, that is. When I was a kid I always loved SHIELD's flying cars, and they usually looked like '60s sports cars.

You know, I like Coulson quite a bit, but I agree with this article:

Should Agent Coulson Live?
My personal belief *stands on opinion box - not that I need to - but it's Monday and my brain is in a weird place - and naturally, some of this may depend on exactly how he's brought back* for a long time has been that I am perfectly fine with Coulson coming back from the dead SO LONG AS there are ramifications to it. If everyone (read: The Avengers) were just hunky dory with it and everything was sunshine and roses between them and SHIELD, then yes... I agree that it would most certainly cheapen his death. However, I personally don't see that happening.

It won't surprise me in the least if there are consequences from this. The Avengers - upon finding out - are most likely going to be royally pissed (to put it mildly) at Fury for lying to them/keeping them in the dark regarding Coulson and this will further drive a wedge between them and SHIELD (I admit I'm not a comic reader, but I understand friction between the Avengers and SHIELD is something that exists in the comics as well?) So this could further that particular plot point and could make for some interesting dynamics, and those potential dynamics are one of the things that have me very interested.

Also, from things Gregg has said, it seems like it may not be all sunshine and roses for Coulson himself in dealing with what happened.

So yeah... ultimately, my final decision on whether his 'resurrection' works or not/whether he should have been brought back or not in the grand scheme of things depends on how it actually happened/how it comes across once the show actually starts. But I'm optimistic and like I said, I'm okay with it so long as his return is given the weight it deserves.

Hope that made sense *steps off opinion box*

I am curious if this position represents a demotion for Agent Coulson. Perhaps after a year or so of recovery and getting used to his artificial SHIELD issue experimental organs, Fury found that Phil Coulson was no longer suited either mentally or physically to fulfill his former role as his right hand man. So he unceremoniously dumped him into a special-projects field team. Though I don't want Phil whining about his lot in life, this could give some additional weight to Agent Coulson's workplace tragedy and explain Fury's not appearing on the show.

What's more important is that Fury Lies, not that Coulson Lives

I suspect that his reassignment is more likely to conceal that he lived from the various Avengers. Fury is going to regularly interact with Cap, and probably Tony. Best if his right hand doesn't have to constantly avoid the room.

What's more important is that Fury Lies, not that Coulson Lives

Fury *always* lies. He can't be trusted, plain and simple. And yeah, if/when the Avengers find out that he's lied again and kept them in the dark about Coulson's return, they're going to hate him even more than they do already.

But that's pretty par for the course with Nick Fury in the comics, too. The Avengers and other superheroes always wind up butting heads with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"