Countdown to Mystery

Cosmic

Mystic
Reaction score
I just picked up on this title with #3. I'm really interested in Dr. Fate at the moment, so I grabbed this book to see what they're doing with him. I like what I'm seeing, so far. The art is clean and consistent throughout. Segovia's pencils are very impressive. I especially like his Batman. Also, I love Mario Alberti's work, so it's pretty cool to see that he's on the covers for some of the upcoming issues. :up:

Well, I'm still reading this. It's two comics in one. This book has been a bit of a surprise for me. I basically started buying it for Dr. Fate, but as of right now, I'm more interested in what's going on with Crispus Allen/The Spectre and the villain, Eclipso. Crispus is rapidly becoming one of my top favorite DC heroes, and Segovia one of my favorite artists.

Meanwhile, the story of Dr. Fate being down on his luck, and moping around town homeless with a bottle of liquor in his pocket is starting to get old. One thing I don't understand, is why the covers show Dr. Fate with his full-sized helmet, but in the story, his helmet leaves the face exposed. Previews for upcoming issues also show Fate with the full helmet. Also, with #4, Dr. Fate is shown on the cover in full costume, going head-to-head with Eclipso. It's an awesome picture. But in the story, the character seems to be unfit to go up against a teenage girl, much less put on the suit and battle a super-powered villain.

I hate to say it, but as much as I love the art by Justiniano and Wong, I feel like I'm waiting for the story to hurry up and start featuring Dr. Fate in action, instead of a homeless, impoverished drunken bum who feels sorry for himself.

One thing I don't understand, is why the covers show Dr. Fate with his full-sized helmet, but in the story, his helmet leaves the face exposed. Previews for upcoming issues also show Fate with the full helmet. Also, with #4, Dr. Fate is shown on the cover in full costume, going head-to-head with Eclipso. It's an awesome picture. But in the story, the character seems to be unfit to go up against a teenage girl, much less put on the suit and battle a super-powered villain.

the helmet changes when he is in full costume. When he is out of his full costume it is the smaller one.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation!

I'm officially trade-waiting on this now. I ditched it after the first issue.

Wasn't Cris Allen in the first issue as well:confused:?

Then he probably sucked in the first issue. I'm rethinking the trade now. Thanks. :(

He was only in the first issue for a small amount of time.

You may want to rethink trade anyway as I bet they will release each story in it's own trade.

Maybe. Not having to read about Golden Age Dr. Fate in the guise of his own nephew (or whatever) would be a plus. :up:

He really doesn't have anything to do with the original Kent Nelson at all beyond that family connection which isn't even spelled out in the story.

Yeah, I'll probably buy it regardless. I have to get a potshot in now and then, though. I still have my pride. :o

To clarify, I have no problem with seeing Dr. Fate down on his luck. But after several issues pass by, and he's still making regular trips to the liquor store in the middle of the night, and wandering around with his head hanging down, wallowing in self pity...I mean, it's a little too much.

It was written as first story of an ongoing so might not see character traits change that quickly.

Is it actually becoming an ongoing and not just a mini? It's been so long since the original announcement that I don't remember anything they've announced.

I've no problem with the guy regularly going back to the sauce. He's an alcoholic, that's what happens. There's not going to be a magic solution to that...

...which is totally going to be the focus of one arc or another wherein he learns a Very Important Lesson about life's tribulations or something.

It was originally written for a new Dr. Fate ongoing, but because of Steve Gerbers serious health troubles he couldn't commit to an ongoing at this time so they put it out in this mini.

An ongoing hasn't been ruled out but it depends on Steve Gerber more than anything.

I kinda like the Eclipso/Spectre storyline. The art is cool and The Creeper and Plastic Man are involved. To see those to together is gonna be sweet.

Oh, right, that's one of the things I hated about Countdown to Mystery #1: Plastic Man sucked in it.

Except he's supposed to be immune to mind control because his brain is all plasticy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"