Creator Bout 2: Waid vs Busiek

Elijya

Avenger
Reaction score
Waid versus Busiek!
The Baldie from 'Bama versus The Beard from Boston!
Both are Eisner Award-winning writers and fan favorites. Who's your pick?

waid.jpg

best or most well known works:
Kingdom Come
Captain America
Flash
JLA
Fantastic Four
Legion of Superheroes

Biggest mistake: Hypertime, the Kingdom

busiek2.jpg

best or most well-known works:
Marvels
Avengers
Iron Man
JLA/Avengers
Thunderbolts
Astro City
Dark Horse Conan

Biggest Mistake: JLA: Syndicate Rules

I gotta with Kurt. Mark's stuff, is good, no doubt, but they don't get me pumped like Kurt's books do. Every issue of Conan makes me want to cheer, and his Avengers run is one of my most treasured runs.

To me it comes down to Waid's Fantastic Four vs Busiek's Avengers, and it is a really really hard choice. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Of the list that you presented, for me, that would make it FF vs. Astro City (as these are what I liked best from these two.) I didn't like everything he did in FF, but he definately went out on a high note. I'm not as big a fan of Busiek's Avengers run as everyone else. Maybe one day, I'll go back and re-read the whole thing. Maybe that was in the midst of my comic burn-out period. I'm gonna give the edge to Waid.

I like them both, but Waid is my favorite writer in comics. So, I naturally pick him over Busiek.

This is a toughie but I think Conan is going to push me over to Busiek's side.

Good matchup... Astro City tips the balance for me in favor of Busiek.

close race! 3 to 4in favor of Kurt!

I hope everybody who's voted has read significant examples from both

Waid. His Fantastic Four run alone is my deciding factor. Buziek is definitely good, though.

Busiek. I've really only read Waid's FF, and, compared to Avengers... sorry Waid, you did make me an FF fan, but Avengers was legendary. :up:

Busiek wins for his brilliant research when writing Untold Tales of Spider-Man...

... without a doubt, the BEST Spidey books in the 90's. :cool:

:)

Themanofbat said:
Busiek wins for his brilliant research when writing Untold Tales of Spider-Man...

Oooh, I forgot that one. I may need to change my vote......

Astro City and Superman: Secret Identity put Busiek ahead of Waid, though Empire was fantastic.

the margin of victory is growing - just like his beard!

Damn, this is a tough one. Kingdom Come versus Marvels. Astro City versus Empire. I'm gonna go with Busiek on this one because Waid wrote The Kingdom, and that is a pretty big strike to have agaist you.

Ben Urich said:
Waid by about a lightyear.
really? you must either worship at mark's feet, or totally despise kurt if there's that much of a divide between them for you

The Watchman said:
Astro City and Superman: Secret Identity put Busiek ahead of Waid, though Empire was fantastic.
Oy! Forgot about Secret Identity. That makes it really really tough but I'm still sticking with Waid.

Busiek. No disrespect for Waid, but Astro City blew me away the first time I read it.

Themanofbat said:

Wow, almost forgot! Yeah, that series was GOLD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"