DC's "30 Essential Graphic Novels"

Where the **** is preacher?

From hell was far superior to league of extraordinary gentlemen?

Authority volume 1?

Hush is a big pile of ****

JLA: The nail should have been on the list

Hush was terrible.

Is this list variable? I believe it should be amended.

How was HUSH terribel i would like some one to explain considering I think it is one of the Best Bat stories out there.

How was HUSH terribel i would like some one to explain considering I think it is one of the Best Bat stories out there.

Everyone is out of character and the plot made no sense at all. At least in the Hush Returns.

Everyone is out of character and the plot made no sense at all. At least in the Hush Returns.

you will NOT bring up Hush Returns. Especially when talking to my boy hush over here.

The New Frontier, should be on that list.

I agree, New Frontier should be on the list...even if just for its stunning and original art

interesting list,

what five should definitely be on there, i need to start getting into some dc and i wanna do some graphic novel searching...

i was going to look for new frontier but it sounds like it may be a lil hit or miss...

should judas contract be on there?

Dude, the only people who disliked it was GAH, (And really, it's f**king GAH) and Leageur, and that's because of his irrational hatred of Hal Jordan.

I would include The Man Who Laughs and Lex Luther: Man of Steel

Especially over The Dark Knight Strikes Again....

How was everyone out of character? Seriously point me to how everyones character was being mis-characterized.

How was everyone out of character? Seriously point me to how everyones character was being mis-characterized.

You really gonna make me grab it and number everything down? But this chair is so comfortable! Off the top of my head... random fight scene between Green Arrow and Batman that had nothing to do with anything in the rest of the book, or Joker being a moody, serious mob boss.... augh I'd have to get up and find it to clarify any other points.

To your credit, the art is good. It's why I bought it. I'll still look at it because of the drawlings.

You really gonna make me grab it and number everything down? But this chair is so comfortable! Off the top of my head... random fight scene between Green Arrow and Batman that had nothing to do with anything in the rest of the book, or Joker being a moody, serious mob boss.... augh I'd have to get up and find it to clarify any other points.

To your credit, the art is good. It's why I bought it. I'll still look at it because of the drawlings.

What The **** book are you reading non of that **** was even in Hush?

To be fair, I think the angle they're going for here is single volumes, not whole series. And for the instances where they pick something from a series, they're only going to pick the first volume. Essentially, when you think about it, this list is a list of recommendations. If you recommend a series, you usually recommend a first volume. For quality, Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes can stand on it's own (although later volumes are better), as do Transmet: Back on the Streets, Fables: Legends in Exile and Ex Machina: The First Hundred Days. If I were to be brutally honest, I'd say that Preacher's first volume isn't the strongest. Plus, they may not be trying to court controversy by promoting such a controversial series next to a list that includes Batman and Superman. Sex, profanity and violence are one thing, but blasphemy REALLY pisses off some people, so I'm not sure what DC's position is these days on promoting Preacher (depends how this planned HBO series plays out, if it ever gets made).

As for the absence of DC: The New Frontier, I might point to what I said about this being a list for single volumes (since, in paperback, DC:TNF comes in two volumes), but they list LXG vol 1&2 together, and they're completely separate stories, and they list Hush vol 1&2. One would think with there being an animated movie based on DC:TNF coming out, they would show more support for it.

As for the objectionable entries, like Hush, DKSA, Birthright, Superman/Batman, well, we might not all be the biggest fans of these, but it's hard to deny that these all have some mass appeal and sold exceptionally well for DC. This makes this a list of pretty much exactly what I would expect DC to make: Some of their most acclaimed or popular volumes, all excellent tales (or at least acceptable. Despite all the criticism of a book like DKSA, much of that had to do with expectations, and there are truthfully FAR WORSE books from DC out there) and ideal stand-alone stories or jumping-on points.

You're right, it had nothing to do with anything in the rest of the book.... because that scene wasn't even IN the book. Neither was Joker being a mob boss. What are you talking about?

edit: I see you MAY be talking about Hush Returns, which I did not read so I do not know if those scenes are in it. Regardless, it's kind of moot since Hush Returns isn't on this list, Hush is, and Hush Returns wasn't even done by the same people.

You're right, it had nothing to do with anything in the rest of the book.... because that scene wasn't even IN the book. Neither was Joker being a mob boss. What are you talking about?

Thanks Elijya i thought i had taken crazy pills when i read that. I think that Superman/Batman should have made the list, well at least the first arc, just due to the fact that it is the fall of Luthor and that is pretty pivitol in the grand scheme of things.

Oh and is that really Data's full name in your Title? Or did you just do that for fun. If it is his real name could ya point me in the right direction of that episode? Please?

It's just for fun. The sig is an actual quote of his, though, and I felt applied to the forums quite well.

Oh it fits alright, lol. Data was my fav as a child but as I got older Worf and Riker stole the spotlight. Still there is a warm spot in my heart for Data when I see him on Spike re-runs.

edit: I see you MAY be talking about Hush Returns, which I did not read so I do not know if those scenes are in it. Regardless, it's kind of moot since Hush Returns isn't on this list, Hush is, and Hush Returns wasn't even done by the same people.

I was talking about Hush Returns, as I said earlier. I thought Hush Returns was vol 2 for the Hush series.

I would include The Man Who Laughs and Lex Luther: Man of Steel

Especially over The Dark Knight Strikes Again....

I didn't particularly like The Man Who Laughs. It's about Batman's first encounter with the most awesome comic book villain ever, and it should be read just for that, but, honestly, the writing was kind of dull and uninspired, and the art looked too.......computerised. The book's highlight is the scene in which Bruce injects himself with Joker venom, and basically relives the night of his parent's murder, but through more Joker-ised eyes. He imagines going down the other path of insanity and a will toward destruction. This ties in well with The Killing Joke, a MUCH better book, in which the Joker draws the parallel between himself and Bats: they both had a bad day which changed them forever. As we know, they went down different paths. Come to think of it, The Killing Joke deserves to be on the list, but they've probably got enough Alan Moore as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"