Will Sucker Punch bombing affect Superman?

Sabaoth

Master
Reaction score
I loved Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen. I did not care for the owls.
I kinda felt Sucker Punch was going to be a disaster because in the trailer, it looked like someone took several video games and put them in a CGI blender.
Still I wanted Sucker Punch to be a hit, after all, this man (Snyder) is entrusted with Superman.
Well, the numbers are already starting to come out (see deadline), and
Suckerpunch is going to end up with 20 mil for the weekend.
So besides being panned by the critics, it is also going to be a financial loss.
I noticed that every negative review (pretty much all of them) that Sucker Punch received made mention that -this- is the man who will be doing the new Superman movie, unfortunately, insinuating that the future for Man of Steel is uncertain.
I'm a little concerned.
How do you think Sucker Punch bombing will affect the new Superman movie, if at all?

They can just leave it out of the 'From the director of..." voiceover on the trailers. ;) :up:

This could actually be a blessing in disguise. I don't think WB will go as far as to clamp down on budget, as they can't afford to skimp on their last shot at redeeming this goldmine of a franchise. Instead, I can definitely see them keeping a close eye on how Snyder handles the project and not letting him get too comfortable in his own chair.

I think it's evident more than ever that if Snyder is left to his own accord in ever aspect of the film, his flaws shine very brightly. But when given direction, I do think he can pull off some pretty great things. Regardless of Nolan being busy with TDKR now, I'm sure he's placed enough safeguards in the time he had setting up this project before Zack took full control. Reading all the recent interviews, it's almost blatant how Nolan's DNA is all over this project.

I know nothing about Snyder except for what I read on here. I found it funny today that the frist review I read on SP basically described Snyder like everything I've read about him on here. The review basically said SP had beautiful visuals, an amazing wow cool factor and that Snyder def knows how to use a camera and film a fun action packed movie.....................but that there wasn't much of a story or character development, and that in the end he left the theater not knowing what he just watched.

They're two entirely different projects. There won't be any effect.

Well....you'd think that a director for a big project like Superman is hired based on the examples of his work. Now...let's say Sucker Punch is indicative of his work in the past, and in evaluating Sucker Punch, one also draws upon common elements in his past work. So if we're to assume that Superman will be nothing like any of his past work...why hire him as the director in the first place? Are they trying to force him to change? :O

Obviously, I don't think a Superman movie should look or feel like 300/Watchmen/Sucker Punch. But for all intents and purposes, we can point to those films as being this particular director's signature style...albeit for their respective story subjects. So someone must be convinced that the technical skills he utilizes to realize that style...can be used for...well...a totally different style and subject (even though it's still technically comic/adventure/action). Almost as if a band like Megadeth can put out an album that sounds like U2 or something.

I'm guessing that's the hope. Maybe it can be done.

The only thing it might do is make Snyder rethink his storytelling a little bit. Story is everything... because if that is weak, then every other part of the film suffers.

bright side: maybe snyder will feel a greater need to prove himself, and will put that much more effort into superman. maybe he'll want to prove he's worth more than straight adaptations of material.

I think everyone more or less new sucker punch wasn't going to be that great or make that much money, WB needed him because they know he can deliver on the action, he needed superman because I'm sure he needs a hit if he wants to continue doing his own films. The only affect this movie will have is with fans on message boards, but realistically we don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think Sucker Punch will affect Superman at all, at least I hope not. I was really hoping that Sucker Punch will be a hit , I mean the movie wasn't that bad as people claim it was.

The thing is also that Man of Steel will not be anything like 300 or Sucker Punch because Snyder said that Man of Steel will be his most realistic movie yet.

A failed action movie with a female lead, if it affects anything it would be putting yet another nail in the coffin for Wonder Woman ever getting a movie.

The only affect this movie will have is with fans on message boards, but realistically we don't matter in the grand scheme of things.
It's not just us, however. If this film bombs, that's three big-budget disappointments Snyder has under his belt. The general audience has been voting with their pockets, and it doesn't look like the '300' goodwill has any merit now.

It's fortunate Superman is his next project, because Zack is heavily treading down the same path Shyamalan was on. Only the fall-off won't be as drastic as I don't think his peak was ever truly that remarkable anyway.

Last edited:
Simply put...no.

Superman's name alone will get some people's asses in the seats. Then you will most likely have some badass action in the trailer(this is Snyder after all), which was missing in the last film, interests more people. The fact that he is making this feel real and not stylized won't detract people sick of the CGI fest films like 300 or Sucker Punch for example.

I think Superman will hold his own even if they advertise it with "from the director of Watchmen and Sucker Punch".

Did people think that X-Men and X-Men 2 would affect Superman Returns? Maybe since that took a step down, this will do the opposite...?

Well until Snyder can show he can stop overusing slo mo consider me worried

I think it will be fine given that Nolan has a hand in this, not to mention Goyer already having written the plot outlines so no compromise on the story there as far as I can see...

Well....you'd think that a director for a big project like Superman is hired based on the examples of his work. Now...let's say Sucker Punch is indicative of his work in the past, and in evaluating Sucker Punch, one also draws upon common elements in his past work. So if we're to assume that Superman will be nothing like any of his past work...why hire him as the director in the first place? Are they trying to force him to change? :O

Obviously, I don't think a Superman movie should look or feel like 300/Watchmen/Sucker Punch. But for all intents and purposes, we can point to those films as being this particular director's signature style...albeit for their respective story subjects. So someone must be convinced that the technical skills he utilizes to realize that style...can be used for...well...a totally different style and subject (even though it's still technically comic/adventure/action). Almost as if a band like Megadeth can put out an album that sounds like U2 or something.

I'm guessing that's the hope. Maybe it can be done.

What you're saying makes sense, but you never know. I mean, what was it about the movies Barbershop and Taxi that made FOX think, "WOW! This guy should do a Fantastic Four movie! Maybe two!"

What you're saying makes sense, but you never know. I mean, what was it about the movies Barbershop and Taxi that made FOX thing, "WOW! This guy should do a Fantastic Four movie! Maybe two!"

The world may never know....thankfully.

Last edited:
Absolutely not.

If so, then Snyder wouldn't have been seriously considered for this to begin with. WB has known for quite some time what they had with Sucker Punch.

This is a mutually beneficial arrangement. Snyder needs a big hit after Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians and Sucker Punch, and WB needs someone to get Superman out in theaters by next year.

The world may never know....thankfully.

I seriously would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those boardroom conversations where they decided to pick him as their director. Just to know what the f**k their rationale was there. I guess they just wanted someone to control, and he was a willing handpuppet? I don't know.

What you're saying makes sense, but you never know. I mean, what was it about the movies Barbershop and Taxi that made FOX think, "WOW! This guy should do a Fantastic Four movie! Maybe two!"
Well, Barbershop at its core featured family dynamics with the clashing of different personalities and ideologies. Albeit it was all on a fairly superficial level and at a completely different cultural perspective. That connection is easily made with the F4 series, though in the overall scheme of things it's also only a partial piece of the pie.

This is a mutually beneficial arrangement. Snyder needs a big hit after Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians and Sucker Punch, and WB needs someone to get Superman out in theaters by next year.
How's the timeframe? Even though there's a deadline, isn't the current schedule running fairly average for this type of production? I'd say it's certainly better than what Vaughn had to deal with.

Yeah, what makes you guys think its going to bomb?

Can a movie bomb after one day?

Yes. Because there's a math to this stuff. By noon on Friday in L.A., executives will know exactly how the weekend will fare thanks to the numbers they get in.

Right now, Sucker Punch is going to do in the low $20s and based on the Saturday bunch that will spike business for Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2, it could very well not open at #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"