Will Sucker Punch bombing affect Superman?

I am not worried about SP bombing. It doesn't reflect Superman at all. superman will be a very different creature from all the movies Snyder has done. I think superman will have a very modern real world feel and the look will be very real world(metropolis looking like a real city and not 300 stylized world) but the action will be very much his own.

Agreed. I also think it will be something Returns was not....an overall FUN film, that will try to appeal to the masses while still being PG-13, but not overally dark and graphic. At least I hope it is an overall FUN film.

WB's and Nolan will definitely be involved when shooting starts to make sure Snyder follows the script. Nolan will be busy with TDKRises....but he will be seeing dailies and be kept up to date on the progress of the Supes film.

Last edited:
Actually. Your numbers are correct but your interpretation of the numbers is not.
Yes, 300 was a success. 300 was what, five years ago?
Watchmen made 107 domestically, it cost 138 to make, not including marketing, etc.
What matters to the suits is the domestic take not the international:the international gross is interpreted differently (as I understand it they only get 1/4 of it, so it cannot be added to the domestic take like so..I'm not an expert on that so if anyone want to chime in on specifics, please do so..) So Watchmen underperformed.

Owls of Ga'hoole made 55 domestically and cost 85...

Sucker Punch cost at least 85 (that's not including marketing) and made
19 opening week and will likely end with 60 or less.

That's three under performing movies in a row: Watchmen, Owls, Suckerpunch.
The buzz is all over the net. That's likely why they released the Lois Lane casting info today, to get people talking about something else.
If the negative buzz continues, I'm sure they'll let us know who is playing Lex by the end of the week or even give us a picture of Henry in the suit, just to get Suckerpunch out of the news.
Hopefully, the failure of Sucker Punch will make Snyder think " oh ****, if I blow Superman, I can't go run off and make a Hitler movie with Tom Cruise or do X-men, I'm done! So Superman has to be my BEST WORK ever!"
and even after saying all that, I loved DotD, 300, and Watchmen.. I think Zack is an excellent choice for Superman and know that he has the potential to make it happen.
I'm just concerned that in the arena of public opinion, you know, those critics and that internet buzz that may make or break a movie before it even comes out, may just give the Man of Steel an undeserved black eye.
I want this movie to succeed; I want a trilogy!

I don't consider Watchmen under performing necessarily due to the non family friendly graphic nature of the film and the R rating.

I agree though....Snyder needs to focus and step it the hell up for the Superman film.

I'm torn on the whole "it'll be his most realistic film" thing. On the one hand, it's going to be nice to see Snyder with his feet back on the ground (I love Dawn of the Dead; it's tied with Watchmen for my favorite Snyder film because it feels the most honest and real out of his films). On the other hand, the sensibilities he brought to Sucker Punch would be so exciting to see in Superman. I'd love to see a very stylized, art deco Superman where he's stopping runaway trains filled with robots and flying through skies filled with zeppelins.

Ultimately, I can hope for the best of both worlds, sort of. Hopefully the characters are what feels real, while the action is still a mind explosion.

I know what you mean. As we've seen in Batman, Goyer and Nolan like to put the hero in a very realistic setting, to make him believable and relevant to the modern world. And I would want that in Superman, though wouldn't mind Metropolis being this massive city, with zeppelins and art deco buildings etc. That doesn't mean it can't be realistic. But if the "real world" is more believable, then that can provide great contrast when fantastical things start to happen.

Also, in interviews Snyder has said he liked working with CGI enemies for the first time in Sucker Punch and he was excited to bring that to Superman. So it does sound like that will all still be there.

here are some of his comments at 02:58 -

[YT]laLtYuWm2co#t=2m58s[/YT]

I honestly think WB will keep a tighter leash on the budget and a close eye on how the dailies turn out. That's pretty much what WB will do, they won't replace him or 'encourage' Nolan to watch Snyder during filming.

But Snyder is well into casting and pre-production on this film, it'd cost too much to boot him off and get a replacement director. I don't want a Wolfman-style scenario where a new director inherits the previous director's cast and only has a few weeks of prep time.

if SP bombing effects Superman in anyway, it'll be that Snyder hasn't had a hit movie since 300 and he'd be more anxious now, more than ever, to prove himself as a quality director...so Sucker Punch bombing will either break Snyder (doubtful) or give him even more fuel to deliver a great film.

if SP bombing effects Superman in anyway, it'll be that Snyder hasn't had a hit movie since 300 and he'd be more anxious now, more than ever, to prove himself as a quality director...so Sucker Punch bombing will either break Snyder (doubtful) or give him even more fuel to deliver a great film.
I know a lot of people who liked Sucker Punch although it got bad critics' reviews. That movie doesn't exactly have a built in audience like Superman does, so while I suppose it's entirely possible for Snyder to make a critical dud, if the trailer is good it'll gross a decent bit it's first weekend I would guess.

Infamous critic/blogger Devin posted this on his site:
I’ve heard nothing but terrible things about the script for the film, and I’d rather see Zack Snyder keep on keeping on rather than tuck his tail between his legs and try to make up for Sucker Punch.

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/03...superman-the-man-of-steel-sexists-morons-balk

Now, keep in mind that this is all heresay and it could be gossipy. I just can't see WB letting a 'bad' script fly past by them for a greenlight. Pun intended.

Infamous critic/blogger Devin posted this on his site:

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/03...superman-the-man-of-steel-sexists-morons-balk

Now, keep in mind that this is all heresay and it could be gossipy. I just can't see WB letting a 'bad' script fly past by them for a greenlight. Pun intended.
GOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

el7bxe.jpg

Devin is as anti-DC as they come - so of course he focuses on the negative. In addition to this, his recent TDKR article talks about how several WB execs strongly dislike the ending to that film.

But then again, Goyer did write the script for The Man of Steel. So I can't say the possibility of it being terrible surprises me.

Last edited:
I mean, supposedly this was all cleared up with the script problems, but it seems like it's still ongoing. Why not officially let someone give it a polish? Why should it be exclusive to Goyer? That's what I don't get, if this is legit and not some bias reporting.

Plenty of movies, especially these big tentpoles, get made when the studios are aware the script isn't good and needs work. Plus, it's irrelevant because Superman has to get going because of WB's trying to secure their share of the rights.

Besides this conversation's already been had:

I didn't believe there were script problems at all at first, but there is truth to it. Everything was supposedly ironed out.

I knew there was no way there'd still be problems. Wonder who ironed them out

Of course, Devin could be talking BS as well.

I'm sure the script is still being polished as we speak.

My problem with Sucker Punch is that there's no tension or consequences until...the last 1/4 of the film. And everything played out as a music video and it just got old by the later part of the second act.

I think that the SuckerPunch hate is overplayed but thats just my opinion. The movie had massive problems (it felt like a videogame alot of the time and there wasn't enough character developement and there was too much loud rock music playing and the movie thought that it was too cool for school when it really wasn't) but atleast it was somewhat original and creative.

They will soon be filming Superman so the director is going nowhere. Also I never thought that he was going to have nearly as much control as Singer had anyhow so...whatever to that.

I think Zack is alot smarter than what some people think and is fully aware at what's happening to his career and Superman's future.

WB is smart too; heck, they admitted that the first Green Lantern trailer was 'meh', according to the LA TIMES.

So that's why I have confidence in Superman.

Fuel is not Snyder's problem. He is not a commercial director. People give Michael Bay flack for his style of film making and weak storytelling but at least he delivers box office dollars. I think some people are so mesmerized by Snyder's style to see that his recent works are very mediocre. You can't just say that because his last 3 films underperformed that he knows now how to right the ship. Can Snyder even craft a fun Superman film? It's more than just action and slo-mo. It's building those adrenaline pumping moments to the point where you want to cheer for the scene. If you've seen Sucker Punch you will see where he failed at that. Yes there is a lot happening in his action scenes but it's like someone slowly tapping you on the head with a hammer. Nothing was edge of you seat.

It's due to the lack of build-up to the action scenes, tension and consequences. that was my problem with Sucker-Punch

Sucker Punch really exposed Snyder's flaws to me. I really wanted to like the film and was still excited despite the reviews but after watching it, it all made sense. I understood why his films don't make more money. Why I don't really care about his characters. And why his audience are more observers at a museum and not spectators at a sports event. I realized that he hasn't learned yet and may still not of. And worse of all why some may even consider him a hack. Trust me when I say this, I really want to be wrong. I want Superman to make bucket loads of money and for us to get sequels. I want him to use his awesome cast to their full potential. I'm just not sure if he can.

Let's hope so. I hope Superman will be his first fully-realized film.

The biggest problem I had with sucker punch, that I don't believe is because of the script, is that like the first 15 minutes of the movie is like solid slo-mo. Normally, zack's use of it doesn't really bother me, but there was so little that seemed like it was happening that I was actually bored.

I THINK anytime the music kicks in- it just becomes a music video -and after a few times, it does get boring.

The funny thing is this: How can a director make fighting dragons in planes boring? Well, it happened b/c it become tedious.

I THINK anytime the music kicks in- it just becomes a music video -and after a few times, it does get boring.

The funny thing is this: How can a director make fighting dragons in planes boring? Well, it happened b/c it become tedious.

That's what I was thinking! I mean I didn't hate it, but I found myself frequently checking my watch.

Not only that but Sucker Punch was billed as a blockbuster. People should leave entertained. A film can be miserable or pointless but not both.

It's because there's no consequences.

Like when they have to get an item, in reality they're just sneaking around the halls or whatever. But in Babydoll's head, they're fighting zombies. But of course, no one's gonna get hurt, thus no tension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"